Should I go this route?

CashforStash

Baned User (get it)
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know this could of been posted in the Art section but I am doing this for another reason. Lately I have been drawing like a madman, and I would like to start a career in art. Whether it be drawing or graphic design.

Problem is, I am only 16 and I never took any art lessons or classes what so ever. I taught my self how to draw, and never looked at turorials and such in fear of ruining my techniques.

I would like to know guys, is this a career I am destined for?

Here are some of my art peices.

nbzpsj.jpg

9iy5wy.jpg

prs44.jpg

You got skills! I'd start with some classes to see what you like and polish your craft.

Thanks! And yes, I am thinking of taking graphic design in college.

I don't understand the logic behind why tutorials or lessons would ruin skills. You are doing yourself a disservice by not taking the opportunity to learn and understand more about the craft. Speaking as a professional artist, you won't get anywhere with kind of mindset. Your art shows promise, but you need to be willing to look at tutorials, take classes, and listen to others; simply drawing like a madman isn't enough. With out those things, you won't know why you've made the mistakes you have made, and will continue making them. Again, your work shows potentiaL especially at your age. Keep it up, and if you want any learning resources, is be glad to help.

I don't understand the logic behind why tutorials or lessons would ruin skills. You are doing yourself a disservice by not taking the opportunity to learn and understand more about the craft. Speaking as a professional artist, you won't get anywhere with kind of mindset. Your art shows promise, but you need to be willing to look at tutorials, take classes, and listen to others; simply drawing like a madman isn't enough. With out those things, you won't know why you've made the mistakes you have made, and will continue making them. Again, your work shows potentiaL especially at your age. Keep it up, and if you want any learning resources, is be glad to help.

Dude, I quit my office job after 5+ years, grew some ****ing balls and started drawing. Best decision I made in years.

So yeah, if you really love this you shouldn't even bother what we think about your stuff (which def shows potencial btw). Just go for it.

And what those guys said about tutorials and lessons; all true. U have no idea how much u can improve by simply allowing yourself to listen to others and taking criticism.

Good luck.

Last edited:

What he said. Looks like you have some raw talent but you really need to learn all the basics.

The faces are pretty good... everything else needs a lot of work.

I wouldn't say a lot, everything looks really good, especially considering your age and lack of training. Definately get some training though (something before college would be good, just to warm up) , it can only improve what you do. You take tips from other people and apply it to your style in a technical way, so you keep your style you just...improve it. You've got potential for sure.

I agree with what everyone else said. Also, and posibly the most important part, know what it is you want to draw, and train primarily in that field. If you want to do comic illustration, study sequencial art and how to tell a story with simple lines. If you want to be a concept artist, know how to present someone else's ideas both creatively and clear, and also know how to draw technical designs to scale.

The same goes with any field that requires drawing. Each field requires its own set of skills, and while many skills overlap into other fields, it's best to start with a clear cut goaland know where you want to be in a few years.

As for your pics, they're good, but practice drawing from your imagination, only using photos for the occasional reference. While the faces look pretty good, they're clearly pieces copied from photos. Study photography and you'll learn all the inaccuries regarding scale and size that are found in photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"