Should Marvel Make Elseworlds Movies?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
I love the how connected the MCU is, but I also like the idea of doing Marvel movies and shows that take a more experimental route and are bolder and riskier than the main universe like the DCU’s elseworlds labels so I wonder what’s your thoughts on Marvel doing this?

The most you'll probably get for an equivalent of Elseworlds is probably What If? With how full-speed ahead Marvel Studios is on the Multiverse Saga, I don't see them taking the time to do one-off Elseworlds unless they did What If stuff in live-action. In the meantime, the series should fill that quota.

I'd be all for Elseworld's style Marvel Studios films , and I actually think there's a chance they'll get there someday.

I love the how connected the MCU is, but I also like the idea of doing Marvel movies and shows that take a more experimental route and are bolder and riskier than the main universe like the DCU’s elseworlds labels so I wonder what’s your thoughts on Marvel doing this?

I'll just quote what I have already said in the "downsides of a unified MCU" and "can the MCU continue for the next 20 years" threads.

So far we have only seen content that ties into the main MCU, but I definitely think it's possible to have non-MCU movies in the future. I think they could make some kind of designation for standalone non-MCU movies. Something like DC did with Joker and The Batman, but for characters that are already gone from the MCU for a while. In a few years, do a movie with a fully reimagined version of Iron Man or Captain America or Black Panther. Make it intentionally different from the MCU version. Give it to a director with a unique vision for it that may not be a good fit for the MCU but works when it's standalone without expectation for sequels or crossovers. We could still get something like what Edgar Wright's Ant-Man or Noah Hawley's Doom were once supposed to be at some point.

In a standalone project, you can take many more chances because nothing is dependent on it. You can give writers and directors full control without worrying about how things connect, getting true authorial visions brought to life. You can make narratives that don't have to account for sequels or crossovers, such as making a movie where the protagonist dies at the end of their first and only movie without worrying about how you're gonna tie it to a future crossover. You can make movies that are wildly different in tone, such as making a Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur movie for very young children similar in vibes to Clifford the Big Red Dog and also make a hyper violent hard-R Punisher MAX movie without requiring adult fans to see the movie intended for kindergartners or for kids to see the R-rated gorefest to get the full experience of a world. And also, some of the standalone movies could be animated or otherwise be a different medium or stylization, which would be harder to fit into another cinematic universe.

Last edited:
I'd be open to it yeah. Comics wise this has been the area where DC has had a big advantage over Marvel. Over the years DC has had an abundace of great standlaone great stories that don't require knowing much going into it and are very creative driven. Some of these have been in the main continuity but a majority are considered elseworlds. You have classics like The Dark Knight Returns and All-Star Superman plus newer stories like Wonder Woman: Dead Earth and Mister Miracle. These have also been books that are easy to recommend to new readers as it doesn't require (in most cases anyway) much knowledge on the characters.

Marvel has gotten better in recent years but I still think they need to step up their game. While I don't think they should scrap the MCU, a standalone non-canon movie here and there would definitely be a good thing.

Last edited:
Marvel Elseworlds films should be animated DTV.

Yeah this would be my preference too, animation or maybe some Disney + Special Presentations

DC's mess drives me crazy, I'd rather the MCU not go that route, at least not anytime soon

Has Marvel Comics ever really produced Elseworlds comics like DC has?

Has Marvel Comics ever really produced Elseworlds comics like DC has?
Not in the same capacity but yes. Not including things like 2099 or Ultimate,
off the topic of my head you have...
Earth X
Spider-Man: Reign
Marvel 1602
Old Man Logan (granted it was published in the main Wolverine title but I think it still counts)

When I think of how a Marvel's Elseworld's could be, it would be more about adapting some classic Comicbook storylines into films which didn't or don't fit into the MCU continuity , or that can't or won't be adapted into the continuity.

I would see them as one shots, as opposed to a whole separate ,ongoing continuity, like The Batman part 1 and 2.

They could even do them as period pieces, which would further distinguish them from the main MCU much like Joker was set in 1980.

An Example would be something like the Tim Sale color adaptations like Spiderman Blue, and Daredevil Yellow which have that 1960s type setting and feel
41jgHAcIyeL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

clean.jpg

Yes, I know Spiderman is owned by Sony, but I'm just using these as examples as the type of " out of MCU continuity" stories they could do for an Elseworlds tale.

They could even do something like the Alex Ross Classic Marvels , which was from the perspective of a man on the street of these characters though the decades
Marvels_01.jpg

They could also have to feature new actors as opposed to getting Chris Evans back to play a different Steve Rogers.

That's how I would see it at least.

I guess you could argue that the entire Earth-1610 Ultimate Marvel Universe was one big
Elseworlds project as it featured re-imagined and modernized versions of the Earth-616 characters, while also providing new origin stories as easier points of entry for new readers.

And really, with the Multiverse, Marvel/Disney now have infinite avenues and opportunities to delve into Elseworlds-type stories and features that step outside of regular MCU continuity. Like @Frodo suggested, they could brand these shows and/or features as Spider-Man Blue: A Multiverse Tale or Daredevil Yellow: A Multiverse Story to differentiate themselves from what the Distinguished Competition was doing.

I personally love the idea. Feature established characters but from a different perspective, with different actors portraying them.

possibilities-think-of-the-possibilities.gif

I really do want another period-piece Marvel movie. First Avenger is one of my favorites, a return to that era or the 60’s in particular would be great.

Elseworlds technically exist in Marvel and it is the Sony Venomverse Movies i think characters like Daredevil, the Punisher,Hulk and Ghost Rider would benefit a lot from a Elseworld Movie but i dont think it will happen at least soon the closest thing to Elseworlds Movies in Marvel is seeing a Sequels to Tobey or Andrew versions of Spiderman

There are lots of possibilities with all of the Marvel characters frankly.

They have at their disposal, at least 60 years worth of comic book stories, storylines, etc to draw from that simply can't, or won't ,make it into the MCU films or tv shows due to the mainline continuity.

Even What If only covers variations of versions we already know( i.e what if RDJ's Tony Stark did this instead of that ) as opposed to a different ,1960s, adaptation of Hulk Gray with a different actor playing Bruce Banner, or a 1970s set , dirty harry, like -Punisher stand alone films.

It would truly be something Marvel Studios isn't already doing, so it wouldn't be in the " been there done that", territory.

It could work imo.
The question is more about the will of Marvel Studios to do solo stand alone out of continuity films like that.

I say no. With the amount of Marvel shows and films we are getting, it would be just eXtraneous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"