Which MCU Character Do You Want Standalone Movies About Not Set In Continuity?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Unlike Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four characters most of their Marvel brethren that Marvel Studios adapted before Marvel got the rights to those aforementioned characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Black Widow never existed on the big screen on their own independent from any shared universe so I was wondering if Marvel ever did experiment with doing some movies out of continuity, which characters would you want them to try this idea on?

Honestly I feel like any character that's not currently being used in the MCU could be a good option if they go down the road of standalone stories. Iron Man, Captain America (Steve), and Black Panther (t'Challa) would all make sense to get their own movie at some point if they do this. It's probably still a bit too soon for those right now, but I think if they can get a good director and a good script to make a movie with one of these characters that's a different interpretation than the MCU version I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
None because I'm already getting so much content from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

If I want something not MCU, I'd just read the comics, watch the previously released non mcu Marvel films or watch the new Sony Marvel movie classic.

I'd like to see a Sam Raimi Doctor Strange movie that completely disconnected and independent from any of shared universe stuff.

Let Raimi make the movie whatever the way he wants...goes full horror with no restriction.

I loved MoM...and while there was a Raimi-esteque horror elements in the movie...but you can tell thats only a half baked made as there is still a corporate restrictions that prevent him from going full horror.

Last edited:
Or a Peter Jackson LotR-style Thor movie that focus sorely on its mythological roots.

Less of Thor the Avenger, more Thor the Asgardian.... something more akin to Thor: Tales of Asgard animated movie or Rodert Rodi's Thor: For Asgard.

None, because frankly, nothing resembling a mainstream Marvel character would actually benefit from such an approach. Making a specific character the single weird thing in the world, around which everything revolves, will *always* lessen both the character and the story.

Whether their should be a Marvel character who gets their own off shoot, stand alone film, is really up to each fans sensibilities , and fans are far from united in that question.

While I can't speak for every fans own preferences and feelings about the potential stand alone/out of continuity films , I can speak for myself.

I can say, from the perspective of someone who grew up well before the era of CB cinematic universes, and someone who isn't wedded to the concept that " everything ,must always, be connected, and part of the same continuity" , I would be interested in seeing how Marvel Studios , in addition to a great Director and greater writer, would approach a stand alone , alternative universe , story with one of their vast libraries of characters.

If they have the writer and the director who have a great story to tell , which could make for a truly compelling film, I certainly wouldn't be against it .

For me, the story , as with a shared universe story or stories ,have to be good ,and executed well.
That would my concern.

Ironically, I think Marvel Studios is really not in any creative position to do a stand alone film at the moment given all of their recent quality issues with their current continuity.

So , I think any stand alone film would have to come after they get their " creative quality house" back in order.

But in principle, I'm not against the idea of a one shot , Stand alone , out of continuity , feature film , if that possibility ever arose.

I think just about any Marvel character could adapt well to a stand-alone film.

After all, the comics used to do it all the time. You'd have a fill-in issue of Amazing Spider-Man that didn't fit into the current continuity, but told a stand-alone story that provided a different dimension to the character, often from a different perspective and involving different creators.

You'd also have backup features in annuals from newer creatives telling a self-contained, stand-alone story...

Having said that, movies are a very different beast from the books (obviously). Would Marvel want to dump $150 million dollars into telling a stand-alone Captain America film after meticulously building up their shared universe concept over the past 15 years?

Highly unlikely...

Yeah they won't.

They could just use that money for another MCU film which would be more beneficial in the long run.

I think some period piece standalone movies would be cool, like a Fantastic 4 set in the 1960s or a gritty Punisher film set in the 1970s

I think some period piece standalone movies would be cool, like a Fantastic 4 set in the 1960s or a gritty Punisher film set in the 1970s

I remember reading some time ago that Fox wanted to make a sequel to Daredevil (2003) with a gritty, street-level 70's vibe. If memory serves, Jason Statham was rumoured to be in the running to replace Affleck...

I'd love it if they would incorporate some of that aesthetic into Born Again but this is Disney after all. We all know they won't :csad:

I think of adapting Loeb and Sale's work like Spiderman Blue, Daredevil Yellow, Hulk grey as examples of the type of one shot , out of continuity period pieces that could be done.
e7f3d57fd391c7c875fdace7f60d645c.jpg

s-l500.jpg
41-poqfr4tL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Silver Surfer - A standalone movie about the cosmic being Silver Surfer and his adventures traveling the galaxy and encountering other powerful beings could be an exciting watch.

Spider-woman. Has she shown up in any movies at all? I can't recall. It's hard to keep up with everything, but I honestly don't think she's made any appearances, and I think that she would be a great choice for a movie or a bunch of movies.

Spider-woman. Has she shown up in any movies at all? I can't recall. It's hard to keep up with everything, but I honestly don't think she's made any appearances, and I think that she would be a great choice for a movie or a bunch of movies.
She will appear in Spider-Verse DueX.

Besides her upcoming appearance in Across the Spider-Verse, Sony is supposedly still working on a Spider-Woman movie directed by Olivia Wilde. Also Madame Web will supposedly include a Spider-Woman, though not Jessica Drew.

Ever since watching CAPTAIN AMERICA: the FIRST AVENGER....I have wanted to see a full length version of the Captain America movie it showed Steve Rogers making while on his war bond publicity time. It should be in black and white, around one hour and ten minutes long (like a lot of WWII propaganda films were), and use some fighting scenes from old war movies in it.

Ever since watching CAPTAIN AMERICA: the FIRST AVENGER....I have wanted to see a full length version of the Captain America movie it showed Steve Rogers making while on his war bond publicity time. It should be in black and white, around one hour and ten minutes long (like a lot of WWII propaganda films were), and use some fighting scenes from old war movies in it.

That could totally work as a Special Presentation. Sadly, it would fail this thread's premise for totally being canon ( a movie filmed in the MCU, is still part of the MCU *eg* ).

If you want to go the "unstoppable one man army" route with awesome action set pieces then Stahelski is your guy.

If you want to go the serious, hyper realistic crime drama route, I think Mann is your guy.
I like the serious, hyper realistic style by far. I loved Collateral!

My automatic first choice when it comes to this question will always be Hulk, especially after the Immortal Hulk run and how fantastic it was overall. The Hulk has so many great stories that need to be adapted to live action. And the best part is most of them tread into darker territory.

That's what I want to see. A series of darker films that truly focus on the psychology behind Bruce Banner and the Hulk & delves into how bad his dissociative identity disorder is.

Give me an out of MCU continuity Hulk where the focus is only on him and his rogues gallery. Then hit us with them all in a film series. The Leader, the Abomination, Madman, Ravage, Absorbing Man, Brian Banner, Half-Life...all of them.

The landscape with Hulk is so much riper than a great many people realize. If handled properly, I truly believe Hulk could be a regular billion dollar draw all on his own. And I'll stand by that until it happens (hopefully someday soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"