Should Disney make more R-Rated Marvel Movies and TV Shows?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Should Disney make more R-Rated Marvel Movies and TV Shows?

It seems like Disney is making another R rated Deadpool movie:

Disney Promises Marvel Will Keep Making R-Rated ‘Deadpool’ Movies

There is a market for R rated movies and TV shows based on comics, Fox made the Deadpool movies and Logan, Netflix had its R rated Marvel shows which were hit and miss and WB made Joker and the Watchmen TV series. Disney has a marketing reputation based on being ''family-friendly'' though.

If Disney does make R rated Marvel content, what should they make?

I think they can pull off Blade as a hard PG13 horror film.

The Covid-19 has probably put an end to more risky high budget endeavors by other studios. Marvel Studio's wasn't going to do this anyway so this doesn't change except for massive delays and perhaps cancellations if things reach a certain point.

Should they though I'm increasingly leaning towards no when it pertains to Disney productions. Soft R-Rated films really don't provide the proper narrative lens to look through to contextualize what your seeing as much involving the viewers judgement (Think the Joker depicted in the Dark Knight compared to the Joker movie and how the character is depicted within different narrative frameworks). Disney is very careful about the content that they put out and I think an R-Rated film from them would just feel more so a carefully orchestrated endeavor aimed at a young adult audience that plays within set parameters.

Would I like to see Disney make an R-Rated film is all dependent on the film itself though but I don't really think this is Disney's market and moreso territory for other studios.

Last edited:
Eh. I think pg-13 is fine for the mcu films, unless you really want a really dark superhero film with everyone cursing and characters doing eXtreme violence to each other. A lot of Mcu films don't even hold back in spectacle and action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"