Civil War Should Steve Rogers/Captain America "die" at the end of Civil War?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
4be80f57ef600.jpg

As I seem to recall, one of (if not, the biggest) the most defining moments of the entire "Civil War" arc was when Captain America was "assassinated" after being apprehended by the government.

Of course, it was later revealed that he never really died and such, but my point is that should we see Evans's Steve Rogers follow a similar route at the end of this film?

Granted, I know that he won't stay dead for long as he'll be brought back for the "Infinity Wars", but do you guys think that Marvel should temporarily kill off Captain America at the end of this film?

Or should he suffer a different fate that will keep him on the sidelines until the third Avengers film? (e.g. getting arrested, going into isolation, etc)

Last edited:
I dont want Cap to die. If he has to go it would be better to do that for the end of Infinity War.

Not sure why you'd need a reason for Steve to be missing throughout Phase 3. No, he shouldn't.

But with so much buzz created over the years about Steve's death, since TWS was announced in fact, I wonder if it is inevitable.

Doesn't he get shot at the end of the whole story? They're likely drawing civil war out for most of phase 3, so he wouldn't "die" at the end of this anyway

I don't think he should. Although the story is based on the comics' Civil War, the circumstances of MCU and the comics' continuity are very different. If they try to shoehorn Cap's death at the end of CW, it'd be like trying to unmask Spider-Man even though he has had no prior history in MCU as a masked superhero. The result will be different and even detrimental to the future movies. And if they really want to kill Steve Rogers, it would make more sense to do it in IW pt. 2 and not CW, because if they do they will have to figure out a way to bring Rogers back and it will just open another can of worms.

4be80f57ef600.jpg

As I seem to recall, one of (if not, the biggest) the most defining moments of the entire "Civil War" arc was when Captain America was "assassinated" after being apprehended by the government.

Of course, it was later revealed that he never really died and such, but my point is that should we see Evans's Steve Rogers follow a similar route at the end of this film?

Granted, I know that he won't stay dead for long as he'll be brought back for the "Infinity Wars", but do you guys think that Marvel should temporarily kill off Captain America at the end of this film?

Or should he suffer a different fate that will keep him on the sidelines until the third Avengers film? (e.g. getting arrested, going into isolation, etc)

I can something similar happening, given, Cap return is suppose to be in IW pt2. Not sure however if they should or not....if it work for the overall story moving forward, it may be memorable.

Didn't vote, but I'm leaning towards "Yes"

otherwise, I mean, what's really the point in doing Civil War?

IF they do its going to take more then a gunshot wound. Winter Soldier emptied 3 rounds into Cap at the end of TWS, and he took a chitauri blast almost point blank in Avengers. They'll have to cut off MCU Cap's head in order to take him down.

I say no because I find it cheap to kill him off just to bring him back. Didnt like when they did it in the comics either.

I actually hate that they do that in comics in general

EDIT: Actually, even though I dont know how it would work, here's an idea. Somehow get Cap into space, similar to how he was kidnapped in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Except in this the world thinks he's dead. Eventually that helps bridge Infinity War and the non cosmic MCU

Didn't vote, but I'm leaning towards "Yes"

otherwise, I mean, what's really the point in doing Civil War?

Civic War actually is a logical next step for MCU after AOU, which RDJ has mentioned in his Empire interview.

"There’s always the bigger overarching question, that Joss brings up all the time - it’s kind of weird that these guys would have all these throw downs all over planet Earth and it looked like a little collateral damage happened over there, and yet when the movie’s over, it’s like nobody minds. You have to figure, ‘Were you to ask the question, what would the American government do if this were real? Wouldn’t it be interesting to see Tony doing something you wouldn’t imagine?’"

Or what if they went with the unstuck in time thing, but we know right away as opposed to pretending he's dead?

It came off silly in the comics, but a movie with Cap slipping through time back to WWII, then to the battle of new york, then back to 1920's manhattan, then back to his fight with Bucky... it could be interesting, and something that hasn't really been done on film, let alone in superhero films

I think my opinion on this is well documented. Short version: No

I want him dead just so i can see this scene in live action.
confession.jpg~original

The emotion of this scene would be incredible and would be a legit reason for Stark to come to his senses. They can bring him back with the Soul Stone or the Reality Stone or something in Infinity War. That's not a cop out.

If they absolutely must not kill him, then put him in a coma. But I'd prefer he dies.

Hell yes he should die. It'll be this generation's equivalent to Optimus Prime's death back in the 80s.

I feel like the TWO biggest cons of even "temporarily" killing off Cap at the end of this film would be:

1. The whole "Death" card has been played out in the MCU so many times, where a lot of characters will "killed off", only to be brought back again later on.

2. Considering that Tony will be at the wrong side of the conflict of this story, it would just mean that he won and that everything that Cap stood for wasn't good enough in the end.

In all reality his actual death could occur in IG1 or IG2, especially if Evans is done being Cap. I know a recast ala Bond is more likely,but it could have a huge impact and allow the character to be retired, at least until a reboot or something.

Cap is my favorite Avenger, so while it would be tough to watch I voted yes. Something big's got to happen and this would be the biggest shock of the MCU thus far (in the eyes of the general audience at least).

In all reality his actual death could occur in IG1 or IG2, especially if Evans is done being Cap. I know a recast ala Bond is more likely,but it could have a huge impact and allow the character to be retired, at least until a reboot or something.

The MCU isn't rebooting. Feige has said over and over when the time comes they will re-cast. I could see them resting a character but not retiring and there's no need to kill off a character for that.

In this situation we'd wind up with a murdered Steve Rogers and probably an audience that partly blamed Tony Stark (even if it's Crossbones and Sharon pulling the triggers). That might put a serious dent in their ticket and toy sales. :o

Last edited:
^

Yes, I believe the beard would lend some gravitas to Steve Rogers' persona while simultaneously bringing us into his headspace wherein... *trails off into silence*

Oh, I think your motives for demanding BeardCap are somewhat different.

*hastily exits*

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"