Civil War Should Steve Rogers/Captain America "die" at the end of Civil War?

^

Yes, I believe the beard would lend some gravitas to Steve Rogers' persona while simultaneously bringing us into his headspace wherein... *trails off into silence*

Oh, I think your motives for demanding BeardCap are somewhat different.

*hastily exits*

:)

It's only canon....

3281301-2941359951-21bba.jpg

17ra4kokzj2pnjpg.jpg

878d682a38ab52181b3a7328c2dc69ac.jpg

:woot:

No because it's a cheap dramatic effort that everyone knows won't last.

No because it's a cheap dramatic effort that everyone knows won't last.

So long as it lasts beyond Civil War it'll be alright. They brought back Optimus Prime 6 months after killing him off (2 if you count "Dark Awakening"), but it didn't make his death scene any less iconic or hard hitting.

I voted no. I'd be okay with something like Rogers giving up the mantle and going into a self-imposed exhile or being incarcerated, but they shouldn't kill him. Especially since they would just bring him back in one of the IW films.

The fact that everyone knows Rogers is coming back for IW2 should be reason enough to not do a death scene. We did it once for Coulson, and it didn't really work out too well. Not talking about the show (which has become surprisingly very good off late) but the gimmicky, drawn out, anticlimactic "resurrection mystery" part. I think overall, that arc was completely unnecessary and it would've worked much better I've they'd simply come out the gates saying Coulson survived, Fury lied and just moved on from there. But I digress...

To do some "she shot Cap with a special time gun" gimmick would be appalling. And the argument "everyone knew he was going to come back in the comics too" doesn't hold water to me. The comics are vast. The MCU could go for another 300 years and still only scratch the surface in terms of the sheer number of plot-lines out there. Therefore, the comics have to often resort to gimmicks out of necessity.

The point of the MCU is to condense the best parts of the comics into narrative gold while attempting to stay away from the BS. So, yea... let's keep Cap alive.

Him passing the mantle to bucky will be fine with me..but not his death!!!

He needs to die, then be come back for Infinity War Part II.

Imagine an after credit scene of IW Part I of after the Avengers get their a**es whooped by Thanos or whoever the central villain is of that movie... Then all of a sudden, out of the dust when all hope seems lost... Captain America comes back! #MURICA

No. I don't think Steve Rogers should die, but I do think Steve should be shot. Instead of dying, he should be put in a coma. That way Steve's put out of commission, Civil War is a game changer, and Tony can subsequently feel regret.

I think if Marvel is going to kill him, they should kill him in IWpt2

I think if Marvel is going to kill him, they should kill him in IWpt2
Agreed. My first preference would be to re-sign Evans for more Cap movies, but if that's not an option, A:IW2 would be the place to kill him... certainly not CA:CW.

No. I don't think Steve Rogers should die, but I do think Steve should be shot. Instead of dying, he should be put in a coma. That way Steve's put out of commission, Civil War is a game changer, and Tony can subsequently feel regret.
Would be on board with that. In fact, I like that better than the Nomad idea.

We get to see the iconic "it wasn't worth it" scene without the baggage of a predictable, telegraphed, obvious death/resurrection cycle.

Honestly, I think it will wind up being a self-fulfilled prophecy.

From the moment Feige announced TWS, folks have been talking when Steve would die.

People are talking about Evans' running out, even though that's the same with everyone else.

People talk about Evans saying he wants to do something else, even though RDJ does that all the time.

People talk about Evans not being interested in returning, even though neither was Norton yet Bruce remains.

People talk about needing an excuse for Cap to stay out of phase 3, even though keeping him out of Phase 2 except for TWS and AoU wasn't a problem.

And yet people anticipate it so passionately that it might just be enough reason for Marvel to do it.

"Screw you all, I'm going to Canada." - Steve Rogers probably

No freakin way. I stopped reading Brubaker's run when Steve died, and came back to the books only when Steve came back.

What if instead of dying Steve is forced to make the hard and difficult choice of surrendering and giving up the Captain America mantle. The "he's the hero they deserve but not the one they need right now" kind of thing.

What if instead of dying Steve is forced to make the hard and difficult choice of surrendering and giving up the Captain America mantle. The "he's the hero they deserve but not the one they need right now" kind of thing.

We are NOT going to turn Captain America into a Batman series.

No.

But I'm open to something else happening to him, as long as it was tasteful.

I am VERY surprised at the amount of people who have said no!
As has been said, there isn't really a point for the war if cap doesn't die...
In the end, how does the war end? We know Stark can't die. :p
If I remember correctly, Cap was SURRENDURING when he was shot. He was coming to Tony to say, it's not worth it. After he is shot Tony comes out and says the SAME THING! This is the BEST way for an end to the war. Both sides don't think the war is worth it, and one guy gives up so that there is no more bloodshed. Cap dying is CRUCIAL to Tony admitting that he didn't think it was worth it either. We don't want Cap to just go to jail, and Tony looking like a bad guy. We want them to BOTH be good guys. In the end it was just a hard to predict mistake that made Registration a bad idea. Similar to Nick Fury bringing up power to Hydra, no one blamed Nick for Hydra. He didn't become a bad guy just because he inadvertently helped bring up Hydra. Stark is giving more power to an entity that should not really be trusted with it, but he has just as many good reasons as Cap does for opposing it. We've seen where Cap is coming from in TWS, and we will see where Tony is coming from in AoU. Both will have the best intentions. If it went Cap's way, who knows, maybe things would have backfired in the opposite direction. (I haven't read the What If? version, not sure what they do there.)

^

And knowing that his resurrection in time for IW2 is basically a foregone conclusion? No thanks. Him being gunned down after surrendering was the way the comics chose to end it.

There are 100 other ways to achieve a cathartic climactic moment without resorting to a cheap Captain America death and a cheaper Captain America resurrection. Cap's death and Spidey's unmasking were both cheap in the comics because everyone knew it was only a matter of time before both things would be undone. And both events would be just as cheap in the movies.

I've said this a zillion times before, but Civil War was an extraordinary concept that was poorly executed in the comics, start to end.

My original idea was that Cap dies and in Civil War comes back to life in Ragnarok. However when Heimdall brings him back to Earth Cap see's that he's inspired so many heroes because of his death and stays hidden. He comes out of hiding in IW to help the Avengers though...did I already say this?

My original idea was that Cap dies and in Civil War comes back to life in Ragnarok. However when Heimdall brings him back to Earth Cap see's that he's inspired so many heroes because of his death and stays hidden. He comes out of hiding in IW to help the Avengers though...did I already say this?

Ooooh I like it. They can transfer to Bucky Cap, and Rogers can just go into hiding. Maybe they could make it so that his resurrection is only a short affect, and after long enough he will just disappear.

This would be WAY more interesting than just: "We don't need cap to die." And way more interesting than: "If cap dies he must come back to life." Once cap dies he will be dead, but he will return for a short time.

Why would they trade in a superior popular character Steve Rogers for Bucky Barnes as knock off Captain America?

Instead, for those needing a big death to bring meaning to the movie they could do something unexpected and kill off Barnes again, but this time permanently going out saving Steve's life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"