Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Yeah, the shirt rip is classic and really symbolic per the great Grant Morrisson:

"That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are."

The shirt rip is an iconic moment for Superman. It's symbolism. It's like Batman standing on a gargoyle with the Bat signal in the night sky above him. Something which Nolan's films haven't had yet which is part of the reason why i dislike those movies. It's like they are trying to move away from those iconic things because they are not "practical" or "realistic".

The "realism" (so to spoeak) of the Kryptonian technology of the suit doesn't contradict the iconism of the shirt rip.

Anyone was disappointed that in Donner movies Clark would do the shirt rip and then he would just "transform" into Superman. Because he never took his clothes off.

The "realism" (so to spoeak) of the Kryptonian technology of the suit doesn't contradict the iconism of the shirt rip.

Anyone was disappointed that in Donner movies Clark would do the shirt rip and then he would just "transform" into Superman. Because he never took his clothes off.

There's not anything particularly iconic about Clark pulling his pants down, so no. I always thought of the "morph" as some people call it as him removing the rest of his clothes at super speed.

There's not anything particularly iconic about Clark pulling his pants down, so no. I always thought of the "morph" as some people call it as him removing the rest of his clothes at super speed.

In STM you can see his pants just 'transforming' and in SII you can even see the transformation kinda slo-mo. There is no clothes removing there.

I only saw that in Superman Retuirns, the elevator scene.

At super speed, as in so fast the human eye can't register it so it looks like they're disappearing. Anything else would have just looked awkward with 70s era special effects.

The iconic shirt rip is all well and good. But what about a majestic trouser drop or a resplendent sock peel? Those things must happen… yet we never get to see them.

;)

Batman Begins had a Batman "suit up" moment, Man of Steel should have a shirt rip. They can change the context of it, but it should be there.

Although it's iconic, I'd be fine without the shirt rip... especially if it's going to be a thrown away as it was in SR.

It's one of those things that pushes the suspension of disbelief too far for the GA. It raises too many questions.

Plus, with super-speed, why would he have to wear it underneath?

Just do what Superman #7 did. He has what seems to be a t-shirt with the S on it under his clothes, and after he does the shirt rip, it materializes over the rest of his body.

Out of curiosity, how did movie GL pull off his change to costume?

he should have his costume compressed in a small compartment somewhere like a ring or a small pocket box and when he opens it his costume pops out and he uses his superspeed to put it on!

wut?

At super speed, as in so fast the human eye can't register it so it looks like they're disappearing. Anything else would have just looked awkward with 70s era special effects.

No, slo-mo, as in so slow the human eye can register it so it's clear they're disappearing.

Just do what Superman #7 did. He has what seems to be a t-shirt with the S on it under his clothes, and after he does the shirt rip, it materializes over the rest of his body.

I could live with that, you get the classic shirt rip and you get an updated, advanced kryptonian technology way for the rest of the suit to appear.

Isn't that the route they are supposedly going? Except with a medallion, instead of a shirt?

I'd like an old fashioned shirt rip, if you ask me...

Out of curiosity, how did movie GL pull off his change to costume?

tumblr_lr5wxsogU31qg8azxo1_500.gif

When Hal Jordan needs to "suit up" as Green Lantern, his suit made up of hard light covers him and at the same time his regular clothes disappear (maybe they are sent to a pocket dimension)

Or the hard light covers them.

tumblr_lr5wxsogU31qg8azxo1_500.gif

When Hal Jordan needs to "suit up" as Green Lantern, his suit made up of hard light covers him and at the same time his regular clothes disappear (maybe they are sent to a pocket dimension)

I thought the suit looked pretty good but that domino mask is just laughable. It's so simplistic looking, like it's some last minute addition.

Why did he need a mask at all. :o

Secret identity? I assume he has one in the movie (I still haven't seen it).

it looked like Jor-El was wearing that suit under his robe so maybe its normal for Kryptonians to wear that suit under their clothing.

Last edited:
2012costume.jpg

I think some people were mentioning this transformation

I wouldn't mind something like that. But in honesty, for a dramatic shirt rip, I'd establish already that the suit grows on his skin, or something to that effect. Then, during the big battle, Zod would attack Clark, as Clark and throw him quite a ways away. The camera then slowly pans around Clark, his clothing torn, we see glimpses of the blue underneath, and when he is fully stood up, he rips open his shirt and reveals the \S/.

I want to see a traditional shirt rip...
But if they want to mix it up with other transformation types, I'm open to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"