Should we wait to rebuild New Orleans?

Spider-Bite

Superhero
Reaction score
You know over the next 8 years New Orleans is going to get hit another two or three times by Katrina style hurricanes. Then this hurricane cycle will be over. Wouldn't it make sense to wait untill then, instead of rushing to rebuild it right now? We wont even be done rebuilding by the time it all gets washed away again. It seems kind of stupid go stand right in front an oncoming car after you already got in a car accident, and this is kind of the same thing. They just got hit, and they already want to rebuild the city right in the path of the next few hurricanes. Many weather experts are predicting that New Orleans will get hit again this year in fact by another hurricane of equal or greater strenth than Katrina. They predict it will get hit by several over the next 8 years.

Am I the only one who thinks rebuilding New Orleans so early sort of defeats the purpose? People build houses so they can live in them. Why build them if you know that very, very soon these houses are going to get destroyed, and you will be left in debt, especially since home insurance companies are starting to cancel their policies for members living in these areas.

I'm not sure what they should do. Holland is an entire country below sea level, so if they can pull it off there has to be a way for New Orleans. But do the people who hold the purse strings actually want to do that? After all, if they re-build it means "those people" will come back, and it seems a lot of powerful people don't want that.

Yeah it's actually true that if they don't come back, that state will become a reliable red state for years to come, however if they do come back it will definitely be a blue state for years to come, after the way our Republican President failed to protect his citizens.

And no I'm not accusing him of changing the weather. I'm accusing him of not helping his country deal with the problem. A satelite conversation was leaked throgh video tape to the media, that showed Michael BRown begging the president for assistance prior to the hurricane hitting, saying "the levees are going to break, it's going to be a disaster" and Bush actually smiled and said "well we will make sure you got everything you need ahead of time to help you deal with the situation and try to minimize the loss of llife" with an actual sarcastic smile on his face! This tape leaked after Bush had denied this. He denied being informed that the levees were going to break. He claimed he had been told by Michael Brown that they already had everything they need. He claimed that he had been told the levees were going to hold.

That freaking liar!

Maybe God told him the levees weren't going to break and he just ignored everything Michael Brown said to him as ramblings of a madman.

zanos said:
Maybe God told him the levees weren't going to break and he just ignored everything Michael Brown said to him as ramblings of a madman.

Wow, God must tell him every policy decision he makes because he treats everyone who disagrees with him like a rambling madman.

Should they even rebuild NO? Im not even sure it would be worth the effort in the long run.

stryfe said:
Should they even rebuild NO? Im not even sure it would be worth the effort in the long run.

If it can be done safely(which I think it can), then its worth it. This a major American city, with quite a bit of historical and cultural importance, especially in the South.

Maxwell Smart said:
If it can be done safely(which I think it can), then its worth it. This a major American city, with quite a bit of historical and cultural importance, especially in the South.

I know but you cant rebuild history or culture. Its alot of swamp land and really doesnt have alot of commercial value *outside* of Mardi gras. Whos to say 5 years after its completed Another hurricane doesn blow through it again. Yeah you could prolly say that about alot of things but to me it just seems very risky.

stryfe said:
I know but you cant rebuild history or culture. Its alot of swamp land and really doesnt have alot of commercial value *outside* of Mardi gras. Whos to say 5 years after its completed Another hurricane doesn blow through it again. Yeah you could prolly say that about alot of things but to me it just seems very risky.

Actually a lot of the swamp land has been destroyed over the years, and thats part of the problem. If they are going to make the area safer, one thing they need to do is restore a lot of the swamp.

Also I've heard that they can build levees which can stand up to a category 5 hurricane.

Sadly, I don't think they know where to begin.

It's not really a question of should it's more like how.
It's a bit more than we have ever been faced with. Folks are displaced and will be for sometime, affluent folks that thought they had it going on are in complete disbelief. You do everything right and then BOOM where is all the assistance. Makes me oh so very sad.

Maxwell Smart said:
Actually a lot of the swamp land has been destroyed over the years, and thats part of the problem. If they are going to make the area safer, one thing they need to do is restore a lot of the swamp.

Also I've heard that they can build levees which can stand up to a category 5 hurricane.

I dunno...the cost to completely rebuild seems astronomical. Have bill gates foot the bill :up:

stryfe said:
I dunno...the cost to completely rebuild seems astronomical. Have bill gates foot the bill

Considering it was the government's responsibility to protect the region in the first place and they failed, its only right they pay for it. Whether they actually will is an entirely different matter. :(

Maxwell Smart said:
Considering it was the government's responsibility to protect the region in the first place and they failed, its only right they pay for it. Whether they actually will is an entirely different matter. :(

Wouldnt that be us paying for it?

stryfe said:
Wouldnt that be us paying for it?

Yeah, that happens. Nobody had any problem shelling out a crapload of money to 9/11 families? Then again, they worked in the financial hub of our nation. These people are probably just dead weight on our illustrious society. Why spend money on them? Let'em rot!

Maxwell Smart said:
Yeah, that happens. Nobody had any problem shelling out a crapload of money to 9/11 families? Then again, they worked in the financial hub of our nation. These people are probably just dead weight on our illustrious society. Why spend money on them? Let'em rot!

I like your cut, Maxwell. :doom:

stryfe said:
Whos to say 5 years after its completed Another hurricane doesn blow through it again. .

Chances are that will happen more than once between now and the next 8 years. It wont take 5 years for another hurricane to blow through it.

Maxwell Smart said:

Isn't that sort of a prejudiced statement to make? oh if your from New York then you must be a really great person, but if you live in New Orleans then your nothing but dead weight who should rot. :mad: That's the exact attitude Bush had when he let it go to crap like that. "oh well I ain't gonna lift a finger since they are mostly blacks anyways"

Maxwell Smart said:

Ya with all due respect to the people of New Orleans, New York City is much more important to the country and the world :(

I think it was a joke. At least I responded like it was.

Spider-Bite said:
Isn't that sort of a prejudiced statement to make? oh if your from New York then you must be a really great person, but if you live in New Orleans then your nothing but dead weight who should rot. That's the exact attitude Bush had when he let it go to crap like that. "oh well I ain't gonna lift a finger since they are mostly blacks anyways"

Its called sarcasm. It was meant to point out what a ****ty attitude some people have about Katrina and NO.

Admiral_N8 said:
Ya with all due respect to the people of New Orleans, New York City is much more important to the country and the world

...and genius fell right into the trap.

Maxwell Smart said:
Its called sarcasm. It was meant to point out what a ****ty attitude some people have about Katrina and NO.

sorry my bad. my own opinion on it is that we should rebuild it, but we should wait, and take it slow. the increased hurricane cycle will be over in about 8 years, and anything we rebuild right now will just get washed away every two years, or possibly every year. thats my reason, it has nothing to do with the people of New Orleans.

Maxwell Smart said:
...and genius fell right into the trap.

I know you were joking, but I still think will all due respect New Orleans isnt being treated with the same amount of financial aid beause New York City is by far more important to the nations economy.

Admiral_N8 said:
I know you were joking, but I still think will all due respect New Orleans isnt being treated with the same amount of financial aid beause New York City is by far more important to the nations economy.

Emotionally I feel bad saying this, but logically speaking, that's a pretty good reason. think about it, if we had a crappy economy, what kind of shape would hurricane stricken cities be in then?

Well,now that all of the jackasses reelected Nagin,NO will probably never be rebuilt and will become a wasteland within the next 5 years. ugh,I loathe this state of mine. :mad: :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"