Sinclair news outlets are propaganda!

Which has what to do with Sinclair trying to buy up a bunch of stations while sweet talking the president?

I thought there was some sort of regulatory rule that one of Trump's cronies repealed that has allowed Sinclair to really go aggressive?
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/10/media/sinclair-tribune-merger/index.html

Launched out of Baltimore in 1971, Sinclair has ballooned into a juggernaut that owns or operates nearly 200 TV stations. The merger with Tribune would bring that number to 233, making the company the nation's largest broadcaster with a reach of 72% of U.S. households, though Sinclair would need to sell some of those licenses in order to comply with the FCC's nationwide TV ownership limits.

Bolstering the prospects of the deal: a rule change approved by the FCC in April that loosened those same limits.

You can't deny that Bill has blood on his hands here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the bill authored by a Republican, and then passed through a Republican controlled House, and Senate? Clinton, of course could have vetoed it, but the Democrats are almost as beholden to their corporate overlords as the Republicans.

I've hated the Telecom Act of 1996 for years. It killed off two of my favorite local independent radio stations, and is the reason every radio station has the same playlist of your corporate favorites. I figured they'd just buy all the stations so they could ram the next pop star down everyone's throats, but this is far worse. Once Net Neutrality is gone they can start choking off the little guys on the internet as well.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the bill authored by a Republican, and then passed through a Republican controlled House, and Senate? Clinton, of course could have vetoed it, but the Democrats are almost as beholden to their corporate overlords as the Republicans.
The leading author of the bill was Ed Markey, who is a Democrat.

I've hated the Telecom Act of 1996 for years. It killed off two of my favorite local independent radio stations and is the reason every radio station has the same playlist of your corporate favorites. I figured they'd just buy all the stations so they could ram the next pop star down everyone's throats, but this is far worse. Once Net Neutrality is gone they can start choking off the little guys on the internet as well.
Exactly. And it's also why AM radio is mainly Conservative Talk. Before 1996, it was a lot more diverse, but the Cross Ownership rules and regulations of 1975 were deregulated with the 1996 bill that was put into effect by Bill Clinton.

And again, this has been known about for decades. Here's a clip of Conan mocking local news, and this was years ago:

[YT]PLXQ0qbq6jY[/YT]

The 1996 telecommunications act paved the way for this. Oh, well. The genie's out of the bottle as far as vast cross-country ownership of individual media outlets. it would take an act of Congress to take things back to pre-1980s rules on this front.

I am two things: a staunch progressive and an employee of a Sinclair Broadcast Group. I've been working with them for about 5 years after they bought our station from COX Media Group. I am a Creative Director of the station now.

As a staff member, I can tell you that Sinclair is a top down, corporate environment that is cut throat and that doesn't value it's employees enough. That being said.... this situation with the "must runs" is overblown. Like every other local station, we produce hours of news content every day, and Sinclair asks us to run something like 4-5 minutes of must runs a day... if that. And we can place them (right now) wherever we deem best. Most stations place the must runs overnight, where they are truly not going to hurt anybody.

As a liberal and someone who really cares about journalism, I hate Sinclair's right wing stance, and I wish they'd just buy stations and allow the locals to run the stations as needed. That being said, we need to keep this in context. The folks at my building are not too happy at the idea that folks believe Sinclair is deciding our content. They aren't. Day to day, our producers are choosing the stories that they think are best.

That being said, there are a whole lot of reasons why local news is absolute garbage. I just put this at like 7 or 8 on the list. It's something we should be vigilant about, but it's not top down propaganda at this point. At least not as far as I've seen.

The 1996 telecommunications act paved the way for this. Oh, well. The genie's out of the bottle as far as vast cross-country ownership of individual media outlets. it would take an act of Congress to take things back to pre-1980s rules on this front.
yup good luck getting any such legislation with 3rd way Neo Libs like Ed Markey in both Chambers

Bill Clinton paved the way for Fox News!?

You might want to see this video from New York radio host and blogger Lionel.

[YT]_G9W-lBfBO4[/YT]

It's rumored Sinclair could buy Tribune...which means taking over here in NYC WPIX 11..if you ask me...THAT STATION NEEDS IT, SAME WITH KTLA IN LOS ANGELES.

Besides, Sinclair distributes a show called Full Measure, hosted by FORMER CBS REPORTER and New York Times bestselling author Sharyl Atkisson, which would make the 60 Minutes watch STOP TICKING.

Same story, different video and host...Ben Swann, who is making a comeback after his station in Atlanta, OWNED BY MEREDITH CORPORATION, FIRED HIM.

[YT]po8DZ9eGpgI[/YT]

Ironically, Sinclair is headquartered in...BALTIMORE, MD, a leftist city. And in another bit of irony, the script mentions "a threat to our democracy."

We are in the US..A CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC. Want to use the word democracy, then put the word REPRESENTATIVE next to it.

Although most of these "representatives" work for big corporations and banking cartels. Mine here in CT, Jim Himes, has ties to Goldman Sachs, one of the major names in forming THE FEDERAL RESERVE in 1913...an illegal central bank, where they print and print money devaluing the dollar down to near zero.

Congress has the power to coin money according to the US Constitution, from Article 1 Section 8.

The Congress shall have Power...To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Sigh inducing in the extreme. But I expect no less with the brain dead term "leftist city" being thrown about.

PS Lionel is and has always been a ****ing moron, whether he's spouting BS from one side or the other.

Man... that Lionel video is just cringeworthy bad. Like... do you really need 6 minutes to make the simple point that the script isn't offensive? It was 6 minutes of him trying to say, "I'm so smart, you wouldn't understand.." and he doesn't even seem to get the issue.

He's so flabbergasted by this proposed irony that he found, that he totally fails to see the irony of a multimillion dollar media conglomerate warning of the dangers of slanted, opinionated news... as they literally push slanted, opinionated news.

The 2nd video is actually okay... and basically reiterates what I was saying. This really ins't a Sinclair issue.. it's a media conglomerate issue. If folks are worried about the credibility of their local newscasts, then there are more troubling signs to look for than corporate must-runs from Sinclair. Just saying.

In regard to us being a democratic republic, and that we should be referenced as such.... okay... seems like a weird thing to get upset over. I guess I don't really care.

...leftist city... uh huh.

That poster thinks Infowars is legitimate, so understand what you are getting into.

Hehe, thanks. I like arguing with Alt Right cultists. It's one of my many vices.

I am two things: a staunch progressive and an employee of a Sinclair Broadcast Group. I've been working with them for about 5 years after they bought our station from COX Media Group. I am a Creative Director of the station now.

As a staff member, I can tell you that Sinclair is a top down, corporate environment that is cut throat and that doesn't value it's employees enough. That being said.... this situation with the "must runs" is overblown. Like every other local station, we produce hours of news content every day, and Sinclair asks us to run something like 4-5 minutes of must runs a day... if that. And we can place them (right now) wherever we deem best. Most stations place the must runs overnight, where they are truly not going to hurt anybody.

As a liberal and someone who really cares about journalism, I hate Sinclair's right wing stance, and I wish they'd just buy stations and allow the locals to run the stations as needed. That being said, we need to keep this in context. The folks at my building are not too happy at the idea that folks believe Sinclair is deciding our content. They aren't. Day to day, our producers are choosing the stories that they think are best.

That being said, there are a whole lot of reasons why local news is absolute garbage. I just put this at like 7 or 8 on the list. It's something we should be vigilant about, but it's not top down propaganda at this point. At least not as far as I've seen.

Bingo. This is basically one of those "there's a kernel of truth to the criticisms, but it's been way overblown" situations. The reality isn't what we've been seeing from John Oliver on this, not at a programming room level.

Man... that Lionel video is just cringeworthy bad. Like... do you really need 6 minutes to make the simple point that the script isn't offensive? It was 6 minutes of him trying to say, "I'm so smart, you wouldn't understand.." and he doesn't even seem to get the issue.

He's so flabbergasted by this proposed irony that he found, that he totally fails to see the irony of a multimillion dollar media conglomerate warning of the dangers of slanted, opinionated news... as they literally push slanted, opinionated news.

The 2nd video is actually okay... and basically reiterates what I was saying. This really ins't a Sinclair issue.. it's a media conglomerate issue. If folks are worried about the credibility of their local newscasts, then there are more troubling signs to look for than corporate must-runs from Sinclair. Just saying.

In regard to us being a democratic republic, and that we should be referenced as such.... okay... seems like a weird thing to get upset over. I guess I don't really care.

...leftist city... uh huh.

Thanks for the summary. There was no way I was gonna click on that video.

That is one of the best ways to get yourself fired no matter what side of a debate you are on or who you are.

He just couldn't help it. His inner conservative rage bubbled up... and like so many in the echo chamber... he assumed that others think like him so it'd be no big deal. Sorry, threatening to assault a minor because you disagree with his policy opinions is childish and sad. This guy better start growing up.

Last edited:
I love when people on the Right think that pointing out that we're not REALLY a democracy somehow disproves the point of anyone who refers to American democracy.

It also counters that b.s. about how they aren't a mouthpiece for Trump when the chairman of the company goes to Trump and literally tells him they are a mouthpiece for him to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"