Superman Returns Singer Interview: Editing Returns & Sequel

I really don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to a sequel, I think when all the money is tallied and the smoke clears, WB will be happy with their earnings. Just as they were happy with the film itself.

I just find it hysterical that so many fans are saying, "Singer is an arrogant ass", or "Singer is a moron", whereas before the film was released they were praising him to the high heavens due to his work with X1 and X2.

Now, for us to jump to conclusions about what SR2 will contain is pointless. Just because he hints at Zod doesn't mean it will be Zod. Dor all we know it could be Brainiac, Metallo, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, or even Bizzaro. The possibilities are endless if you ask me and that's what makes the Superman concept such a beautiful wonderful theme.

I'm a little disappointed that he cut out some important scenes, but in the end, what can be done? Nothing. If he felt they bettered the movie then he has a right to that belief since he directed. I don't agree with him; but in the end he's getting the paycheck, not us.

The film has already made its budget back, so a sequel is not exactly far fetched and I don't see WB getting rid of Singer. More than likely the sequel will do a lot better since the ADD generation wants more action anyways, so Singer will more or less include a lot more action packed visuals and have a villain that is Supermans equal.

But hey, I enjoyed the film. I loved Superman Returns and loved what Singer did with the concept. Hell, I enjoyed it a lot more than X3INO.

Sometimes I don't think Singer knows how much cutting of scenes hurt the flow and character development of the movie.

I think any Sequel is gonna need a major overhaul in the casting and storytelling department.

I think Singer is a great story teller. I feel that he's very proud of SR and its fan boys that made a big deal since it won't cross 200 mil. SR is a great movie better than anything previous including the Donner films.

DogofKrypton said:
He DOES come across as smug. You choose not to see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
There you go. Confusing your opinion with fact again. Just because you interpret his words as smug doesn't mean it's a fact.

I fricken hate reading any interview he does now. Someone at Warner's please tell him he is fired already.

Wesyeed said:
Yes and no. Pedro I can live with. that napolean guy though just annoyed me all the way through.
Thank you. I fricken hated, HATED Napoleon Dynamite. I took my girl at the time to see it and after the movie we both hated it so much, but she was mad at me dragging her to it. I had to go see some chick flick because she was so pissed. Girl with the Pearl Earing. I coudl watch Scarlett Johansen read the phone book for two hours but that thing had me snoring in the first 10 minutes. Napoleon Dynamite can kiss my a$$.

I loved SR, but I just don't know why he is holding out on the "Return to Krypton" scene. "I don't think it can be enjoyed on DVD"...really? (shakes head) sounding like an uptight dumba$$ there, Singer...

David33 said:
Singer is an arrogant idiot.

Poor man,he still thinks he will direct the sequel,LOL.
He will direct the next one, I'm 99% sure.

TheBat812 said:
He will direct the next one, I'm 99% sure.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Please no.
i dont want to see "superman 2 returns: the wrath of zod".:mad: :confused:

gimmen64 said:
I think Singer is a great story teller. I feel that he's very proud of SR and its fan boys that made a big deal since it won't cross 200 mil. SR is a great movie better than anything previous including the Donner films.

I think Singer was good with X1 and 2, but IMO SR was weaked by trying to be a sequel to the donner films. As a result , he relied on a 30 year old francise in which most of the audience members either weren't born or don't remember the specific plot points from Superman 1 and 2.

skruloos said:
There you go. Confusing your opinion with fact again. Just because you interpret his words as smug doesn't mean it's a fact.

There you go, still trying to play "Defense". Just because you have nothing to add to the thread, doesn't mean we need to hear YOUR opinion about statements made a WEEK AGO.

Say what, Singer?

In an interview with "Newsarama," when asked "What happened in America?" in terms of the lower-than-expected domestic box-office take of "Superman Returns," director Bryan Singer said, "In my personal estimation, I felt it was an issue with the marketing... . A Superman movie is a very new thing and it has to be presented in a new way. So a lot of that burden falls on the kind of presentation it is given."

Is he serious?

I liked "Superman Returns," but didn't love it. Why? For many of the same reasons it became a difficult movie to market:

• The "S" on the chest was shrunk, as were many of the things people have come to symbolize with Superman.

• The "American Way" deletion means the movie was more concerned with appealing to an international audience than emphasizing the fact that the movie starred the ultimate American hero.

• The plot aped the Christopher Reeve original.

• The things that were different - Superman returning to Earth after five years, the "love triangle," the apparent introduction of Superkid and Superman reduced to a borderline stalker and deadbeat dad - are not the kinds of things that fans of the character are going to get excited about.

Additionally, not only did Superman not really fight anyone, but Lex Luthor is still free! Are we supposed to cheer the fact that he's on an island?

For better box-office returns, "Superman Returns" needed a classic cinematic showdown reminiscent of Neo vs. Agent Smith in "The Matrix Revolutions." That would have made it easier to market.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Guys, you've gotta point em out to me. I read the article, where does he come off like an ass?

As for sequel talk......what do you expect? For him to fire himself? WB hasn't fired him so.......he's still in the chair till then.

He comes off like an 'ass' when he fails to acknowledge any 'bad' reaction to the film. He talks as though he exists in some place totally out of touch from the people watching the movie. Perhaps it's damage control. But I want to hear him justify and attempt to defend the massive negative reaction to this movie.

By saying the second movie would introduce more sci-fi stuff he is, I think, almost admitting where he screwed up this time around. But he doesn't say it, he doesn't acknowledge the fanbase or the extensive mythology of the character, and thus he appears driven by his own ego.

People only went to see this because it's Superman, not because it's a great movie.

Love to see the Kryptonian scenes on the DVD...Too bad. Sugn him WB. Sign him ASAP.

X-Maniac said:
He comes off like an 'ass' when he fails to acknowledge any 'bad' reaction to the film. He talks as though he exists in some place totally out of touch from the people watching the movie. Perhaps it's damage control. But I want to hear him justify and attempt to defend the massive negative reaction to this movie.

By saying the second movie would introduce more sci-fi stuff he is, I think, almost admitting where he screwed up this time around. But he doesn't say it, he doesn't acknowledge the fanbase or the extensive mythology of the character, and thus he appears driven by his own ego.

People only went to see this because it's Superman, not because it's a great movie.

Not many film makers will admit to something like that, you ever hear Ratner admitting X3 was ****, or Tim Story, or Joel Schumacker or Rob Bowman, NO, it doesnt happen.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Not many film makers will admit to something like that, you ever hear Ratner admitting X3 was ****, or Tim Story, or Joel Schumacker or Rob Bowman, NO, it doesnt happen.
sure about that? ;)

I liked it, but it could've been improved.

Singer stated he removed the Krypton scenes because it didn't gel with the rest of the film. To me, the flashbacks didn't gel. Swap them around and it would've been more interesting.

well.....wasn't Superman's return to Krypton's remains the whole point behind his leaving everyone for 5+ years? And, we didn't even get to see this on screen!!! We didn't even get to see where Superman RETURNED from........and now we're not even going to see this on DVD......bah!

When Clark tells his mom that the place is a graveyard.....it would have had much more weight if we actually SAW said graveyard.............

oh.....and no.....I really wish we don't a get a Singer sequel to SR.....he messed up the characters so much.........

super-bats said:
well.....wasn't Superman's return to Krypton's remains the whole point behind his leaving everyone for 5+ years? And, we didn't even get to see this on screen!!! We didn't even get to see where Superman RETURNED from........and now we're not even going to see this on DVD......bah!

When Clark tells his mom that the place is a graveyard.....it would have had much more weight if we actually SAW said graveyard.............

oh.....and no.....I really wish we don't a get a Singer sequel to SR.....he messed up the characters so much.........

I agree. I just cannot support Singer returning. I didn't want him in the first place for the very reasons that fans are now complaining about. I just didn't feel that he was the person to direct and bring back this iconic character.

Singer is a good director but not for this type of movie. Would people choose Singer to direct T2 or Indiana Jones or LOTR? I don't think so. Superman is a property that is as massive as those mentioned...or at least it was.

A heavyweight director should have been chosen like a Ridley Scott or even a Wolfgang Peterson especially since he wanted to do a Superman vs. Batman movie which had a lot of buzz.

WB really f'ked up and they know it. Ironically they had the formula for a success Superman movie along.

Its being used on their Batman franchise. Idiots.

And even now for a sequel, they cannot not simply ignore the events of SR because Singer altered Superman's mythology by giving him a son born out of wedlock that only he is aware of (WTF?!) and presenting a Superman totally out of character by having his stalk Lois and use his powers to spy on them and also having a drink with Jimmy at a bar.

I should really hate Singer for putting a large number of nails in Superman's coffin...until I remind myself that WB is the one's that greenlighted this travesty.

Thank G-d we at least have the Batman series for two more movies under Nolan's supervison. But if WB moves on Superman is any indication, the Batman series will suffer a similar fate once Nolan moves on.

raybia said:
I liked "Superman Returns," but didn't love it. Why? For many of the same reasons it became a difficult movie to market:

• The "S" on the chest was shrunk, as were many of the things people have come to symbolize with Superman.
Are a lot of people really that peeved about the costume? Hell, the cowl on Bale in BB was rather tight at times, but the rest of the movie was badass so the audience just glossed that over. I dunno, but I would have been more worried about the characterization and storyline and conflict (or lack thereof) than about how big the S is. I thought it was ridiculous how Singer always had to answer for costume issues at conventions...

But maybe it's one of those "the straw that breaks the camel's back" type of things. On top of all of the other issues, the S was too small. :p

i agree raybia.....

I mean.....all of the other superheros in our current movies are getting ( or have gotten ) origin movies. X-men, Spiderman, Daredevil, Hulk, Fantastic Four.....and I'm sure Iron Man, ghost Rider, and even Ant Man are going to be origin movies......heck even Catwoman got an origin movie........

Batman, a superhero that did have an established cinematic past, got a RESTART.....essentially an origin movie.....

So....why....while all the other heros are getting origin/restart movies.....does Superman NOT GET ONE!!!?? That's not fair!!

Anita18 said:
Are a lot of people really that peeved about the costume? Hell, the cowl on Bale in BB was rather tight at times, but the rest of the movie was badass so the audience just glossed that over. I dunno, but I would have been more worried about the characterization and storyline and conflict (or lack thereof) than about how big the S is. I thought it was ridiculous how Singer always had to answer for costume issues at conventions...

But maybe it's one of those "the straw that breaks the camel's back" type of things. On top of all of the other issues, the S was too small. :p

This movie wouldn't be perceived any differently is the costume would have been perfect. I would much rather have had a movie where the actor who plays two characters (Kent and Supes) have more dialouge than the supporting characters.

actually.....the costume looked pretty good on screen.....the S actually looked pretty darn big on screen and just the right size ( in print though, it does look small ).....

However, the color scheme should have been slightly different. The RED and YELLOW definately needed to be brighter. That would have contrasted with the darker BLUE much better.....it doesn't have to be gaudy bright bright.......but Superman's costume should have some brightness to it.....

But...I guess.....the muted/flat colors really did fit the muted/flat tone of the movie........

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"