Smplification of the Forums?

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
I know I'm still new here, so apologies if it seems like I'm trying to overreach, but does anyone else find the ... excessive amount of sections here a little tedious?

Each Marvel or DC film seemingly has it's own section within the forums when surely this could all be condensed for easier browsing?

General Movies could have the following:
  • DCEU Films (thus incorporating MoS, BvS, WW, JL and he upcoming films)
  • Old DC Films (Batman Begins, Green Lantern, Superman Returns etc)
  • MCU Films (incorporating the Avengers, Guardians and associated films)
  • X-Men Films (incorporating all the X-Men films)
  • Misc. Marvel Films (such as Deadpool, the older Spider-Man films & the Fantastic Four - maybe as subsections)
  • Misc. Comics Films
  • Misc. Films
  • The Cutting Room Floor

Titles would be subject to change.. This would however elevate individual sections for each hero that has a project attached to them, and in doing so, I (would think) make it easier for the viewer to navigate and keep themselves updated on what/where they've posted?

This would clean up a good 22 sections of the forums.

I've only been here a short while, but already I sometimes struggle/forget which of the MCU topics I've posted in because here are so many different areas. I find myself having to go back through my post history to see where I've actually been.

The Star Wars section could probably be simplified a bit too?
  • First Trilogy Films
  • Second Trilogy Films
  • Third Trilogy Films
  • Clone Wars Cartoon Series
  • Rebels Animated Series
  • Stand-Alone Films (Rogue One, Solo, etc)
  • Expanded Universe

Maybe Star Trek too?
  • Trek Series (TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT & DSC; subsections if needed)
  • Prime Trek Films (from ST: the Motion Picture to ST: Nemesis)
  • Reboot Films (JJ's Star Trek through to Beyond)
  • Expanded Universe (books, comics, games etc)

And Transformers?
  • Michael Bay Explosions
  • Cybertron (cartoons, games, fan fiction etc)
  • Products
  • Reboot Universe (speculation at the moment?)

And then we move into the TV section;
  • Arrowverse (with subsections for Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl & Black Lightning)
  • Netflix Shows (with subsections for DD, JJ, LC, IF, Punisher & Defenders(
  • DC Shows (subsections for Titans, Gotham, Smallville & Krypton)
  • Marvel Shows (subsections for AoS, Inhumans, Legion & Gifted)

Possible Doctor Who and/or Wrestling stand alones too? They're popular.

I would be more than happy to be a temporary admin/mod to restructure if it was ever desired. Again, I don't mean to overstep, and this is a suggestion (at best). I figure it would be easier to moderate too?

I like the suggestion for the TV shows section in particular.

I prefer things as they are, makes it a real HYPE site.

I prefer things as they are, makes it a real HYPE site.
I'm sure there's some logic here somewhere, but, especially for new, and potential newcomers, the current setup, I think, is a little daunting.

There can still be hype behind a better/different structure. Take a look down the list of sections; there's quite a few that haven't been visited lately. :)

Pretty good ideas. I'd be fine with some simplification.

This is a good idea. While Black Panther sequels, Ant Man sequels, Captain Marvel sequels could all be under 1 section = MCU future films especially those sections are rarely active. And Deadpool should be under Foxverse films like X-Men and new mutants.

I like this idea. :up:

I agree simplification is keynote

Btw Flash, do you know that you can use your UserCP to check the threads you’ve posted in (or are subscribed to). They’d be sorted in order of which has been posted in most recently by you or anyone else.

Yeah it's getting a bit too crowded. I mean do we need forums for movies that sequels are like 5 years away? Or ones we know whon't be getting any.

Star Trek had a forum at one time and so did Bond. They got little to no traffic.

It's gonna be a sleeper hit. Just you wait!

I like that SHH still uses vBulletin 3 for the forum software which is from the early 2000's. :woot:

I like that SHH still uses vBulletin 3 for the forum software which is from the early 2000's. :woot:

Are there better things to use now?

I don't embrace change. :argh:

We like to keep it retro :hyper:
Good, because vBulletin 4 was a mess and just ugly from what I remember.

Are there better things to use now?
I don't know about "better" since forums aren't as popular as back then and thus I haven't kept up with all forum software that are still now available. phpBB was/is a good alternative (and free) to vBulletin.

No worries about SHH using version 3, though. From what I'm reading, the vB team is still updating it (v3.8.11 is latest version from last May while SHH uses v3.8.4 if I'm not wrong). So we're still somewhat good on the security front for the next few years especially if the vBulletin team keeps pushing minor updates for that version.

I don't know about "better" since forums aren't as popular as back then and thus I haven't kept up with all forum software that are still now available. phpBB was/is a good alternative (and free) to vBulletin.

No worries about SHH using version 3, though. From what I'm reading, the vB team is still updating it (v3.8.11 is latest version from last May while SHH uses v3.8.4 if I'm not wrong). So we're still somewhat good on the security front for the next few years especially if the vBulletin team keeps pushing minor updates for that version.

Oh right, good to know. Thanks.

Btw Flash, do you know that you can use your UserCP to check the threads you’ve posted in (or are subscribed to). They’d be sorted in order of which has been posted in most recently by you or anyone else.
I did know, yeah, though it's still that little-bit-extra hassle each time to go there and check. Thanks though!

Star Trek had a forum at one time and so did Bond. They got little to no traffic.
What about the current sections with little to no traffic? ;) I would think Star Trek got no traffic because there was nothing happening (with Star Trek), I would also think that, with this new show on air, Trek discussion could return. We've at least got a thread about it, but it's currently a simple thread with generic discussion rather than an area with it's own forum and countless threads. :woot:

Merely a request/suggestion anyhow!!

Good thing you really like it, cause this has the most reliable search function of all the forums I visit, it gives the results I seek without burying it deep between so much crap that has nothing to do with the words I type in the search bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"