• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

So my license has been suspended...

The Guard

Avenger
Reaction score
Apparently I missed one of those random insurance sweeps they do. The BMV sent me a letter, and I vaguely recall receiving it, filing it away in mail to read as we were moving at the time, and then thinking no more of it, until I got pulled over by a cop today, and told first that my license plates were expired, and then that my license itself had been suspended after I didn't respond to the insurance sweep.

Anyone here work in law enforcement or for the BMV and know how this kind of thing works? I have to be in court on Wednesday, and I know there are fines involved, but what are the chances I will be able to pay the fines and get my license back in good standing ASAP?

When fines are involved, usually they reinstate it once it's paid in full. Could vary, so I would call first and be certain.

An insurance sweep is where the BMV does random insurance checks via mail. You have to send them proof of insurance for a certain time period. If you don't, they suspend your license.

An insurance sweep is where the BMV does random insurance checks via mail. You have to send them proof of insurance for a certain time period. If you don't, they suspend your license.
You're not in the US are you?

They call it the BMV in Ohio? I don't think I've ever heard of an Insurance sweep, I wonder how many other states do that.

They call it the BMV in Ohio? I don't think I've ever heard of an Insurance sweep, I wonder how many other states do that.

I live in Ohio and never heard of this

OK, I recently went through something like this in PA. CALL A LAWYER! He may be able to help you out. You may just be stuck with the suspension. It's all going to come down to how you plead when you received the ticket. In PA, they suspended my registration, not my license. Do a search for a lawyer in your area that specializes in traffic violations. Totally worth it!

This is why Public auto insurance owns. In BC we have "The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia". Low rates and no insurance sweep.

in NY if you get your registration suspended for insurance lapse they suspend your license for 90 days. and you have to pay a fee for every day you did not have 'valid' insurance. if you are past I think 90 days of no insurance you have to turn your plates in for all of those days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"