So. . .two more Pee-Wee Herman films!

From Deadline Hollywood 02-19-2010:
CAA Signs Paul Reubens In All Areas

[URL="http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/ said:
Nikki Finke[/URL] "]
So it's official: he's rehabilitated career-wise, and Pee-wee Herman's back as well. His people are taking his hit L.A. show to a New York City stage for later this year. Reubens also has roles in 2 feature films in the can: Todd Solondz's Life During Wartime, and David O'Russell's Nailed.

From Deadline Hollywood 01-13-2010:
The Pee-wee Herman Show Is Back!

From /film:
Pee-Wee Herman Returns To Hollywood

From Variety:
'Pee-wee Herman' returns to stage - Paul Reubens to star in limited engagement
Pee-wee Herman will return to the stage in a limited engagement run of "The Pee-wee Herman Show," starring Paul Reubens, on Nov. 8 at Hollywood's Music Box at the Fonda Theater.

The latest edition will include many of the original cast and crew. While reimagined, show will still be about a wish and include such characters as Miss Yvonne, Mailman Mike, Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie, as well as Pee-wee's talking chair Chairry, Pterri the pterodactyl, robot Conky, Magic Screen and Randy.

"It's time," Reubens said in a statement. "My Pee-wee suit and red bow tie are at the ready -- and this is proof that white shoes are cool past Labor Day."

The original "Pee-wee Herman Show" bowed at the Groundlings in 1980 and was taped for an HBO special. Further TV appearances and a 22-city tour followed, as well as CBS' TV show "Pee-wee's Playhouse" plus the Tim Burton-directed movie.

From Latino Review 01-17-2010:
This Just In! Paul Reubens Spills The Beans On His Pee Wee's Playhouse Movie

From /film:
Featurette on Todd Solondz’s Life During Wartime Starring Paul Reubens

From twitter:
Wow, the twitter response is amazing! Guess what? I'm on Leno tonight with @nbcjay - and have some big news! Please tune in & tweet! #peewee

I liked Paul Reuben's character in that Johnny Depp movie 'Blow'. Never seen Rueben like that. That character convinced me Reuben can do drama as well as comedy

I'm just wondering they actually filmed his live show at the Nokia theater in LA. I missed it and I hope that it'll be on DVD.

last i heard that johnny deep was goingto make a pee wee Herman moive.

reubenspaul.jpg

thank you for the picture. (sarcasm)

long live paul reubens

From Deadline:
TCA: Live From New York, It's Pee-wee!
Ray Richmond said:
Reubens also talked about the Pee-wee movie he has in the works with top comedy producer Judd Apatow. He and co-writer Paul Rust recently submitted the first act of the script, and Apatow has not decided yet whether he will direct the potential movie, Reubens said. For awhile, Reubens had talked about a darker, more adult-aimed Pee-wee movie, but this will not be it. This will be "more reality-based, like Pee-wee's Big Adventure, more like a road picture," he said. "The dark Pee-wee movie won't be happening until... things get a little darker."

Beyond that, when an attendee asked Herman/Reubens if he could "address the Paul Reubens side of you for a moment," he was met with, "Good luck." And, later: "Go ahead and ask me anything. Well, not anything. Actually practically nothing."

From Deadline June 30, 2010:
NIKKI FINKE said:
What a difference nearly two decades can make. Back in 1991, Paul Reubens was arrested for allegedly *********ing publicly in a Florida theater. His showbiz career was seemingly over. Now he's heading to Broadway, making regular TV appearances, and staging a big screen comeback as the lovable Pee-wee Herman. After seeing Paul perform as Pee-wee onstage in Los Angeles, Judd Apatow is developing a Pee-wee Herman adventure pic for Universal under the Apatow Productions banner. Reubens is writing it with Paul Rust. No director is set.

From Variety Jul. 9, 2008:
Paul Rust - 10 Comics to Watch
Anthony D'Alessandro said:
Arriving in Los Angeles in 2004, Paul Rust immediately began brushing up his improv skills at the Upright Citizens Bridgade Theater and shooting a slew of shorts.

However, since his days as an University of Iowa prankster, where he cut his teeth with the national sketch workshop No Shame Theater, it's been apparent that Rust's goofy personalities and puckish charm were more inherent than fostered.

"I would do a lot of avant-garde stuff and was always interested in making people feel uncomfortable," Rust recalls.

This is clearly evident in his college doc "Do You Know Lucinda?" A silly cinema verite on lost love, the comedian stalks a girl he had one date with at a neighboring college, inquiring why she never called him back. (A year after posting the vid on the Internet, Rust received an email from Lucinda's father, demanding with legal threat that the short be taken down.)

Today, after three short years in Los Angeles, where he's been a fixture at the UCB with partners Neil Campbell and Charlyne Yi, Rust is finding acceptance of his humor easier to come by.

In an ironic moment of life imitating art, his recent coup was landing the lead in Chris Columbus' teenage comedy "I Love You, Beth Cooper" opposite Hayden Panettiere. Referencing Martin Scorsese's "After Hours," the pic focuses on a high school nerd who is smitten with the popular girl and is taken out for a wild night on the town.

Blessed with the profile of Woody Allen and the juvenile sensibility of Pee-wee Herman, Rust's body of work is both hammy and physical, with a slant on pop culture.
No matter how famous Rust becomes, it hasn't impressed Lucinda's dad. A year after Rust removed his offending video, Lucinda's dad called again. Unbeknown to Rust, his short was still on the Internet.

"I could have pulled my Lenny Bruce, but I cowered and removed it," Rust explains.

"Friends who are friends of Lucinda have told me that she thought the short was funny. It's just her parents who don't."

This is what happens when Pee-Wee and Andy Samberg drink
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/digital-shorts/videos/1270069.shtml

I used to want Tim Burton or bust for a new Pee-Wee movie, but he'd probably just rape it with CGI these days. Apatow will do.

No, not Apatow, with all due respect. He'd make Peewee into a millenial hipster d-bag who makes a long, sanctimonious sermon in the 3rd act reflecting Judd's odd views on modern sexual roles. No thanks.

If Burton won't do it, I can see Guillermo Del Toro, Guy Maddin or Terry Gilliam having fun with such a movie. Or, if they really wanted to take a risk ...

David Cronenberg

hmm..is hipster the new 'buzzword' now? When has he made a hipster movie?

hmm..is hipster the new 'buzzword' now? When has he made a hipster movie?

Not to take this thread off topic, but all Apatow's movies have an element of that: one or more male characters that tend to be slightly lazy, over-educated and/or slightly pretentious, usually under-employed, who like to pontificate about where their lives have ended up.

You could say John Hughes' films all had the same formula too.

I'm just saying that with Pee-Wee, Judd knows it's a property and character that people like. Most likely, he probably wouldn't be able to pull off the 'slacker' motif this time around..

I would not mind Tim Burton as long as his wife and Johnny Depp (even though I like Depp) stay away from this film.

No, not Apatow, with all due respect. He'd make Peewee into a millenial hipster d-bag who makes a long, sanctimonious sermon in the 3rd act reflecting Judd's odd views on modern sexual roles. No thanks.

If Burton won't do it, I can see Guillermo Del Toro, Guy Maddin or Terry Gilliam having fun with such a movie. Or, if they really wanted to take a risk ...

David Cronenberg
thats quite a random assortment of names, what makes you think of them? if you don't mind me asking.

thats quite a random assortment of names, what makes you think of them? if you don't mind me asking.

That's true, that's a diverse group of names. But they all have past experience working in the magic realism motif, which is part of the Peewee Herman theme but can be taken to even bigger extremes with such names behind the camera (of course, Tim Burton is the master of the surreal, but my list was predicated on Tim not being available).

And David Cronenberg because if they really wanted to take Peewee to his most surreal, mindf*#%ing and drug-fuelled extreme, he'd be an out-of-left-field but nevertheless fitting choice.

Apatow will do.

I love Judd Apatow, but I'm not sure of him as a director for this project. Pee-Wee Herman has always been a VERY visual character with lots of visual gags. That's not really what Apatow does. His humor is dialogue driven. This is what made Tim Burton such a brilliant choice for the original film. 95% of the jokes were visual. The only funny dialogue I can think of is the stuff involving Francis. "I know what you are, but what am I?" Silly child humor like that. Apatow will be good for scenes like those, but I doubt he can pull of this:

or especially this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"