Social Significance of the Phoenix Saga

P

pheebs

Hi all,

Doing a paper for a popular culture class and I have chosen to discuss the relevance of the Phoenix Saga as my topic. I've got some basic ideas for what to discuss in terms of Jean acting as a moral template (she ultimately recognizes the threat she poses and sacrifices herself for the sake of others), the significance of her being a woman (and how she becomes an avatar of emotion and destruction), and the fact that it is a major character being killed in a very popular medium (exploring how that makes the message much more meaningful etc.) Just wondering if anyone out there can point me in other directions. Thanks for any help from anyone!

I should add, I want to explore how the Phoenix Saga demonstrates the dark side of human nature, and wondered if anyone had anything to say about that. Thanks.

While most people would go for the obvious and use any of Millars writings in comparison with the U.S. government, it's good to see someone go for something less obvious.

It might be wise to discuss the seduction of the innocent and explain how a good wholesome girl like Jean Grey can become a sun swallowing entity of limitless destruction.

Maybe mention how the Shi'Ar wanted the Phoenix destroyed while the X-Men fought to keep her alive in the hope of rehabilitating her. What point does someone who commited such atrocitys no longer be a loved one and become a unredeemable monster?

Also worth a mention would be the Hellfire Clubs manipulations of Jean, turning a rather conservative young woman into the sultry Black Queen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"