Some of my favorite fan films

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
Films:

Dead End - Some people will never get over the Alien and Predator thing, but let´s face it, Dead End turned bat-fanfilms into the fever they´re today. It´s still one of the better ones, and it looks great.

Patient J - This one is a little masterpiece of a fan film. The actors are top-notch - I wouldn´t mind seeing Molnar play Joker in a feature film, he was creepy, not too over-the-top, and actually nuanced, great make-up too - and the story does a really good job of telling a Killing Jokesque sum-up of the main events in Joker´s criminal career and his personal "philosophy", and has a couple cool twists in the end. The highlight is Batman fighting Joker on an empty stage with spotlight and even an "invisible" audience.

Dark Justice - This one is more about the good fight scenes, but the ending has a nice little dramatic touch. The costume looks good in Tanoi Reed for a traditional "pajama" suit.

Teasers/trailers:

Blackout - A pretty short teaser that clearly takes its inspiration from Bat´s first appearance in Begins, but does it really well.

World´s Finest - The meeting we may never see on the big screen, a cool chance to see Lex´s president storyline in a live-action piece, and these two together look iconic as hell.

Grayson - Fan films are exactly for this, to do things you couldn´t do in the comics. Batman is dead and Robin has received the torch. Strong stuff.

Knightfall - Cool animated trailer, based on the saga of Batman having his spine broken by Bane, another moment never really portrayed out of the comics (it can be also seen on the Fan trailer Legends, live-action)

I´m sure I´m forgetting or missed some, but I´ll be more than happy to be pointed to some other cool ones.

I'll be honest, I find most fan films extremely embarassing. There is nothing more cringe-inducing than seeing a 20-year old fanboy in a home made Batman costume trying to look tough. Actually, there is - the way these people attempt to 'market' their projects, as if they are real movies, with posters and trailers and taglines. They don't seem to realise the rest of the internet sees them for what they are - fanboys with a video camera.

Most of them are simply self-indulgent wish fulfilment. A guy says, "Hey, I want to be Batman/Wolverine/the Punisher." Hence a series of woeful attempts at fighting, forced grittiness, and no plot.

To these fan film makers, my advice is to be realistic. Make something you are capable of achieving. If you're young men, play young men. If you don't look like a superhero, don't play a superhero.

Another problem is that these fans belive that replicating the look of the comic is all it takes to be faithful, and therefore better than the real movies. Look at Dead End and World's Finest - they attempt to bring Alex Ross' work to real life, even though it clearly does not work in real life.

Kevin Roegele said:
I'll be honest, I find most fan films extremely embarassing. There is nothing more cringe-inducing than seeing a 20-year old fanboy in a home made Batman costume trying to look tough. Actually, there is - the way these people attempt to 'market' their projects, as if they are real movies, with posters and trailers and taglines. They don't seem to realise the rest of the internet sees them for what they are - fanboys with a video camera.

Most of them are simply self-indulgent wish fulfilment. A guy says, "Hey, I want to be Batman/Wolverine/the Punisher." Hence a series of woeful attempts at fighting, forced grittiness, and no plot.

To these fan film makers, my advice is to be realistic. Make something you are capable of achieving. If you're young men, play young men. If you don't look like a superhero, don't play a superhero.
Heh, :up:

Kevin Roegele said:

Another problem is that these fans belive that replicating the look of the comic is all it takes to be faithful, and therefore better than the real movies. Look at Dead End and World's Finest - they attempt to bring Alex Ross' work to real life, even though it clearly does not work in real life.
I know what you mean, but you gotta admit, some of these films look actually pretty professional. Patient J, for instance, felt a lot like a real movie to me.
But I see where you´re coming with people assuming if you copy the comics, it´s good, and they don´t realize it´s different medias. That´s what keeps some fanboys from appreciating the better superhero movies. They´re too attached to the comics´ world and imaggery, and forget that it needs translation, sum up, mixing things up, updating, etc. to work in the world of feature films.

Some films are alright....some films are horrible...

Grayson looks interesting as well as Dead End. I've only seen a few.

Kevin Roegele said:

Never leave the Hype. Your posts give me hope.

Kevin, your post goes for most fan films but not all at hand, you just give a broad example that is in most fanfilms, but not all. Have you actually seen all the ones he is referencing, like Patient J or Legends for example? The director of those films does not star as Batman. Also, if you watch Patient J, you will see that the film stays amazingly true to the character, more so than any superhero movie Ive ever seen. Also, all the shots of Batman and his world are all from the Joker's crazy point of view, so they can really be anything, which is why they reference so much Batman history. I agree with ultimatefan in saying that Patient J is a masterpiece and succeds where other fan films have failed, like you mentioned Kevin.

2 cents

I agree that Grayson stood out as being better than the others, as did Dead End and World's Finest (though the acting in those two is an absolute nightmare). I haven't seen Patient J, but the dude who played Joker put up links on my myspace, so I'm sure I will sooner or later. Those are the exceptions. For the most part, the other 2 billion fan films are an absolute joke.

Molossus said:
Kevin, your post goes for most fan films but not all at hand, you just give a broad example that is in most fanfilms, but not all.

Look at what I originally wrote:

I'll be honest, I find most fan films extremely embarassing.

Molossus said:
Also, if you watch Patient J, you will see that the film stays amazingly true to the character, more so than any superhero movie Ive ever seen.

That's not a good thing on it's own. That's actual a part of the overall problem; these fan films are simply made to be faithful to the comics, to see what they would look like on screen, to the detriment of the movies themselves. So many of these fanfilms scream, "Hey, look, we've got all these comic characters in their proper comic costumes! Acting how they do in the comics! And they're all dark and gritty!" and not, "Hey, we've got a great story to tell."

In the end, all these fanfilms are doing is kissing the asses of Alex Ross and co, whilst allowing the makers to indulge in some fanboy wish fulfillment.

Molossus said:
Also, all the shots of Batman and his world are all from the Joker's crazy point of view, so they can really be anything, which is why they reference so much Batman history.

There you go, instead of a genuine story the premise is just a gimmick to allow for more indulgence of the comics.

Wow, you are so blind in presenting "hearsay" as fact, that you probably havent even seen Patient J. And being true the character isnt bad, look at Chris Reeve as Superman, haield to be the truest representation of a comic character AND the most widely loved actor to ever play a superhero. Also, you make it sound like induleging the comics is bad... hopefully you remember all these characters come from comics. Youre probably one of those fans who has read a few comics, but love the characters because of the movies, not their true origins from the comics.

Kevin Roegele said:
So many of these fanfilms scream, "Hey, look, we've got all these comic characters in their proper comic costumes! Acting how they do in the comics! And they're all dark and gritty!" and not, "Hey, we've got a great story to tell."

This is 100% absolute truth. Still, good luck with this argument on these forums haha.

What about MY fan films? I'm pretty sure they rule.

"Batman's Gonna Get Shot in the Face"
"Nintendo: Oldschool Revolution"

Uh huh, oh yeah
http://www.bullcrank.com

Molossus said:
Wow, you are so blind in presenting "hearsay" as fact, that you probably havent even seen Patient J. And being true the character isnt bad, look at Chris Reeve as Superman, haield to be the truest representation of a comic character AND the most widely loved actor to ever play a superhero. Also, you make it sound like induleging the comics is bad... hopefully you remember all these characters come from comics. Youre probably one of those fans who has read a few comics, but love the characters because of the movies, not their true origins from the comics.

You have to stick to the CORE and the THEME of a character for the translation to big screen. Spidey with "organic web shooters" that he'd made in his free time would be a joke on screen. Should Wolverine have had flashbacks of Alpha Flight in the X-Men movies? Stick to the theme, stay true to the CHARACTER... there are so many different comic book versions of each superhero that there is no true adaptation to movie, unless it's from a one-time deal like Sin City.

Molossus said:
And being true the character isnt bad, look at Chris Reeve as Superman

I said that being faithful to the characters is not a good thing on it's own.

Kevin Roegele said:
That's not a good thing on it's own.

The majority of fanfilsm are not really about the characters or the story, they are about the details.

Molossus said:
Also, you make it sound like induleging the comics is bad... hopefully you remember all these characters come from comics.

Yes, it is bad, indulgence is never a good thing, especially in movies. Hopefully you remember these are movies, not comics. A comic is not a movie. Indulgence has no place in storytelling. It's only accepted by people who watch fanfilms because they like the characters as well. I believe it's called 'fanwank' in some circles.

Molossus said:
Youre probably one of those fans who has read a few comics, but love the characters because of the movies, not their true origins from the comics.

Oh, come on, are you really pulling the, 'If you don't agree with me, you're not a real fan' insult?

Kevin Roegele said:
I said that being faithful to the characters is not a good thing on it's own.

The majority of fanfilsm are not really about the characters or the story, they are about the details.

Yes, it is bad, indulgence is never a good thing, especially in movies. Hopefully you remember these are movies, not comics. A comic is not a movie. Indulgence has no place in storytelling. It's only accepted by people who watch fanfilms because they like the characters as well. I believe it's called 'fanwank' in some circles.

Oh, come on, are you really pulling the, 'If you don't agree with me, you're not a real fan' insult?
But I believe you´ll agree with me at least a few of these films actually work well. Again, I present Patient J as an example. It´s a story that has its own twists and turns, and yet it´s very true to the comic book. And, for the most part, it worked well for me as a film.

I must admit,

90% of the time, fan films suck. SUCK. BADLY.

But every now and then, just maybe, every year or 2, you come across something. You come across something, that you know is special. You can somehow tell just from the first scene, this is quality. You can feel it. Movies like this, change the world of fan films. They revolutionize them. From then on, youll see other fans try to copy it, but nobody will be sucessful, not as sucsessful as this movie your watching right before your eyes. Movies that matter. Movies that mean something.

Moves that don't have campy and horrid acting. Movies that don't have unrealistic costumes and bad makeup. Movies that look wonderful and feel fantastic.

Movies like Patient J.

patient j - the story is pretty interesting and the acting is good . it's got a pretty interesting take on the joker's psychosis as well.only thing that bugged me was paul molnar's voice. he just tried WAY TOO HARD to sound like mark hamill. although , especially when he says "toodles " after that scene near the end with him and the psychologist , he kinda did sound like mark hamill.

the joker does shakespeare - not really much , just the joker quoting shakespeare. but the guy playing the joker is a VERY good actor .

dead end - okay , the acting from the joker , at best , was mediocore. his laugh just sucked too. but i DID enjoy the costumes and makeup , they looked very professional. and i actually liked batman's costume, it looked pretty badass on the actor playing him . the action was good too.

I think Clark Bartram sucked horribly in Batman: Dead End as Batman. He had like two lines and both were incredibly bad. "No... criminal scum like YOU... MAAAADE MEEEE"

i have to admit that i dont like dead end as much as patient J either.

DEAD END was fun. It deserves credit for making fanfilms popular. However, PATIENT J takes the cake. It works as a film, as a comic-book adaptation, as a drama, everything.

Kevin Roegele said:
That's not a good thing on it's own. That's actual a part of the overall problem; these fan films are simply made to be faithful to the comics, to see what they would look like on screen, to the detriment of the movies themselves. So many of these fanfilms scream, "Hey, look, we've got all these comic characters in their proper comic costumes! Acting how they do in the comics! And they're all dark and gritty!" and not, "Hey, we've got a great story to tell."

In the end, all these fanfilms are doing is kissing the asses of Alex Ross and co, whilst allowing the makers to indulge in some fanboy wish fulfillment.

There you go, instead of a genuine story the premise is just a gimmick to allow for more indulgence of the comics.

Brilliant.

well I WISH they would kiss Alex Ross's ass. I think more than any other comic dude I've seen he focuses on character and story. Frank Miller (as popular as he is) always tends to do the two dimensional gritty gimmick (his Wolvie, Bats, and Marv are all VERY similar) while I think Ross always plays on the characters' strengths and fleshes them out well. If fan filmmakers focused on the same, fan films could be very, very good. I think part of the reason WB, Lucas, and the rest don't bother getting upset is that for the most part, as Kevin put it, fan films are self indulgent jokes to the rest of the world.

Dead End was more than a Fan Film, not to mention it was shot on real film. It started it all. That and Patient J are my favorite.

All the others suck, yeah it's disturbing when you have 18 year old geeks trying to create a movie that's impossible for them and what they have. It's sickening.

Unless you have 50k to spend on your fanfilm like Dead End, don't try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"