Songs That Remind You of Batman

Shikamaru

Superhero
Reaction score
First of all, I don't know whether or not there is a similar topic to this one on these boards other than the one that's been closed for a few years now. If there is a similar thread still open, I do apologize.

The topic is pretty straightforward. What are some songs that remind you of Batman or of Batman's world? It could be a song from any genre. There are no exceptions other than songs that are already associated with Batman (i.e. 60's Batman theme, Danny Elfman's Batman theme, Zimmer's score, etc.).

I'll start:

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
[YT]7tyxEAY7EV8[/YT]
This is perhaps the most obvious one. The song perfectly captures the tone and feel of not only Bruce's origin but also of what it is like to live in Crime Alley.

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Sonny Bono
[YT]KFSTi17tnxk[/YT]
Excuse the romantic parts of the song.

The Unforgiven I - Metallica
[YT]mYUMPKFYd6g[/YT]

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
[YT]waBb-UM5m4g[/YT]

The Metallica songs are self-explanatory.

Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd
[YT]nYv1OpvrMP8[/YT]
The war parts don't really fit that well but the main theme of the song does IMO. The message is essentially that everyone learns at some point in their lives that the world isn't all fun and games like we thought it was when we were kids. The moment you realize the sky isn't as blue as you thought it was (metaphorically speaking) is when one's path towards adulthood begins. In a very similar way, Bruce Wayne said goodbye to the blue sky that night in Crime Alley.

Cells - The Servant
[YT]cxWsDoSy02g[/YT]
Don't really have a good reason. Just because. :yay:

Safe & Sound - Taylor Swift
[YT]5K4PGpXsOAI[/YT]
I don't really know why this song reminds me of Batman either. It is mainly just the refrain that does. There is also the fact that one of my friends played this song over and over again in the other room while I was doing a Batman marathon so maybe that has something to do with it. :oldrazz:

Please keep in mind that these are all off the top of my head. I may come back later and share more songs. Until then, I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

Most songs that remind me of Batman come from the '50s and '60s (and keep in mind I'm 36, so these are all pretty much way before my time...my tastes in music have always skewed older):

"Poison Ivy", The Coasters (the reference should be obvious)
"Two Faces Have I", Lou Christie (same here)
"Everybody Loves A Clown," Gary Lewis & The Playboys (Fairly obvious)
"Town Without Pity", Gene Pitney (Gotham itself)
"See You Later, Alligator," Bill Hailey & The Comets (Croc...yeah, yeah, I know he's called CROC...)
"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'", Nancy Sinatra (Catwoman)
"Hot Rod Lincoln", Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen (the Batmobile)
"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!", Dean Martin (fairly obvious)

Those are the ones off the top of my head that I can think of. I'm sure there's others, but these in particular stand out in how much they usually get me thinking of Batman and his Rogues.

Cool idea for a topic.

Paint it Black- The Rolling Stones

[YT]n1zBG2TEjn4[/YT]

This song seems pretty obvious to me. It's a song I can imagine a teenage Bruce Wayne listening to and relating to. Having all this negative energy pent up inside and not quite yet knowing what to do with it. Definitely the side of Bruce that is more "emo", lol. Obviously the shots of Bruce literally spray-painting the suit black in BB come to mind.

Leathers- Deftones

[YT]9CpjFgEioBc[/YT]

This one is a bit more abstract, as most of Chino's lyrics are. The lyrics seem to have a general theme of transformation while simultaneously becoming something that is more true to who you are inside. There is an undertone of empowerment and confrontation there too. I think it fits pretty nicely with the theatricality of Batman.

Dance with the Devil- Breaking Benjamin

[YT]lMSkC2PGyTs[/YT]

Breaking Benjamin honestly have a bunch of songs that I associate with Batman, mostly in more generic ways, but this one in particular makes me think of TDK. It seems like a relationship sort of song, so I think of Rachel and the twisted plans "The Devil" aka The Joker has in store for her. "Don't you dare look at him in the eye" evokes the party scene where Joker is telling her his scars story and she's trying to avert her eyes. And of course the title of the song immediately recalls Jack-Joker's iconic line from Batman 89, which makes the connection that much cooler for me.

Surprise! You're Dead!- Faith No More

[YT]HVp8yM1EuC8[/YT]

This song oozes a very Joker-y sort of menace. Lyrically it seems to be from the point of view of someone taking utter glee in being a predator/tormenter. It's just a really funny, yet kinda brutal and creepy song.

Five Minutes Alone- Pantera

[YT]dXtWL0G3dmk[/YT]

Very simple reason for this song. There's a moment in the third act of TDK where Batman tells Gordon "I need 5 minutes alone!", when he's urging him to hold off breach of the Prewitt building. Being a big Pantera fan, there's no way I can't NOT think of this song when Bale growls it. I like thinking of this song as pure "Goddamn Batman" style aggression to amuse myself, even though it's a huge stretch.

Ahem

There are no exceptions other than songs that are already associated with Batman (i.e. 60's Batman theme, Danny Elfman's Batman theme, Zimmer's score, etc.).
:oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"