Sony shows PlayStation 3D

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Thursday 8-Jan-2009 4:01 PM
Imax-style 3D showed in GT5: Prologue
Sony has showed off impressive 3D technology that allows the on-screen action to appear as though it's standing off the screen, in similar ways to 3D presentations at IMAX cinemas.

Special versions of Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (said to be playable) and WipEout HD were used to wow crowds at the currently-running CES show in Vegas.

"Don't get caught up with specs," said a rather bullish Sony rep when asked about the tech behind the impressive display. "We're not going to talk about specifications. This is just a look at what 3D could look like if Sony decided to move in this direction," they added.

To the naked eye the image appears to be a doubled-up mess. Slap on a pair of normal-sized glasses with clear, slightly tinted lenses and the 3D effect comes into play.

It'd be nice though, Sony, if you could at least tell us if this is possible on a normal HDTV and if the PS3 has the processing grunt required.

If not, roll on PS4 or 5 because we can't bloody wait for this.

Wow it will be interesting to see what kind of future this technology will have on the gamming market but if any one system has the power to pull it off its the PS3.

3D games would be an interesting way to experience the next-gen games. Especially consider sites are already claiming the PS4 will be 3D...hmmm, guess we can only wait and see.

Is it going to change the way we play games, or a simple gimmick to try win back the gamers who have gone all Wii?

That would be my concern, that it's a gimmick just like it is in movies. Even today, with the release of movies like My Bloody Valentine 3D, they're still pulling that old stupid move of having someone throw crap at the screen so it looks like it's coming at you. Over 50 years of 3D movie tech, and that's the best they could come up with. Let's hope that's not what happens here.

I have a pair of gaming stereoscopic 3D glasses for gaming, it's more like layers than something fully three-dimensional.

i think it would be intresting but it could get a lil scary i.e Resisrance COD

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Merge this with something like Johnny Lee's facetracking technology, the J-Dome or even those HD glasses (I forget the name) and we have just as big of a jump to the next gen as we did when we went from side-scrolling to full out animated worlds.

My God, Medal of Honor would be amazing in 3D like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"