Reboot in 3d : Yay or Nay

matrix_ghost

movie fan
Reaction score
Your thoughts ?

Personally i'm pro 3d if done right. Especially with visually appealing movies like Superman.
Like all things , i think the best results are achieved when someone knows how to use something.
For example when it comes to CGI there are those who can use it to great effect ( Spielberg) and those who just go completely overboard yet still fail to make something look exciting ( Stephen Sommers).

WB Is serious about 3d given the fact that they will release Clash Of The Titans and both Potter movies in 3d. So i think it's safe to say that they are seriously considering this. Nolan i believe will have a hands off approach to the technical aspects of the reboot. I think that he'll be more focused on getting the right story , "mentoring" the new director ( if he needs it) and maybe advise on the casting.

With the news of Marc Webb ( director of the spidey reboot) meeting the Avatar team to learn more about shooting in 3d , i think it would also be a nice touch if the next superman director would do this.
Ideally the best way of watching something in 3d is to shoot the entire movie in 3d. Look at IMAX. You can shoot a movie on a normal print and then blow it up to the IMAX format yet the image clarity , scale and depth is nothing compared to when you're shooting scenes with an IMAX camera.
Unfortunately it has it's drawbacks. In the case of IMAX it's the camera itself that poses problem.
IT's big , very loud and uses film stock instead of shooting digital.
With 3d time is an issue because of the fact that VFX shots need to be created twice ( for the left and right eye).
Converting the movie to 3d is definatey less costly ( what WB is currently doing wit Clash of the Titans and Potter) but definatel not the preferred way to go.

Currently there isn't a director attached however assuming that WB may release the next supes movie in summer of 2013 , i think there ma be enough time for the director to get a understanding of shooting a movie in 3d.

Not for me its 3D overkill at the moment, my brother went to see Avatar (he hated it btw) and he said after about an hour you forget its even in 3D. The 3D fad will once again only last so long and then it will fade out.

^LOL, agreed.

Directors and writers will begin to go out of their way to incorporate 3D into scenes just to make sure things look "cool". Stories will suffer. Scenes will feel forced. Just wait.

3D will be the downfall of cinema. :csad:

who didnt like the flying scenes in 3D in Avatar?

dont you dare :awesome::up:

Not for me its 3D overkill at the moment, my brother went to see Avatar (he hated it btw) and he said after about an hour you forget its even in 3D. The 3D fad will once again only last so long and then it will fade out.
that was the point :bow:

and if you forget it it pulls you inside the movie :up:

^LOL, agreed.

Directors and writers will begin to go out of their way to incorporate 3D into scenes just to make sure things look "cool". Stories will suffer. Scenes will feel forced. Just wait.

3D will be the downfall of cinema. :csad:
like every blockbuster or expensive movie? cinematic lighting? every shot looks like it has perfect lighting with a perfect camera angle? :cwink:

but back to what you said. people were afraid with CGI the same. and some go overboard. but this is their fault. did Nolan go nuts with CGI or Speiberg?

I dont think so. If there wasnt sooo many now, then yeah, but right now it would just seem to be jumping on the band wagon.
Now if they could make it in 4D where he snatches your azz outta your seat, then he11z yeah.:awesome:

Last edited:
that was the point :bow:

and if you forget it it pulls you inside the movie :up:

But then whats the point of it? If you forget about it you may aswell just watch a 2D movie.

But then whats the point of it? If you forget about it you may aswell just watch a 2D movie.
isnt this what everyone wanted? didnt everyone before Avatar complain that 3D is to forced?

when you walk around on the street do you notice things flying at you ? do you ever notice stereo depth when you look out of the window?the 3D after 1 hour was still there. but your brain adjusted for the extra depth information and it didnt stand out more.

now if you think about specific scenes from the movie you dont just remember the color and shape. you also remember the depth information this is very important. because the depth information tells you how big in scope something is. for example the Pandora forest.now imagine the depth information from Supeman in the sky above the clouds.

the point is to not think about it. you dont think about the colors in movies and you dont think about all the sound effects. if you have a 3D or 4D sound system at home you can get a similar effect like in theater. when something happens behind you you hear it. or left and right. but you never think about all those sound effects right? well this is how they wanted to use the stereoscopic 3D.

Avatar was the most amazing visual experience I’ve ever had at the movies! Blew my wife and me away!

That being said I don't necessarily advocate them doing superman in 3d unless it really works with the film. I could see certain scenes being done in 3d but then taking off, putting on the glasses may take you out of the experience. 3d fit with Avatar perfectly, if it can fit that well with Superman then great go for it, it not stay away.

Personally I’d love a scene where Clark (either at the fortress or thru some other technology) gets his first view of krypton view fully holographic immersion. Now see that in 3d could be amazing visually. Like see the planet on avatar for the first time.

Last edited:
I personally would see a 3D film to see everything coming out at me yet when I didnt notice it anymore it becomes pointless. You might aswell watch a 2D movie.

Well point is I don't want a 3D Superman movie.

I personally would see a 3D film to see everything coming out at me yet when I didnt notice it anymore it becomes pointless. You might aswell watch a 2D movie.

BH/HHH did you see Avatar in 3d yet? I was skeptical at first but really impressed with how far they've come, like nothing i've ever scene before. Don't knock it until you've tried it. That's just my two cents.

Well, I'm thinking that if visually the flight scenes can look as good as the visuals from Avatar then I wouldn't be against it.

i do love 3d movies and all that, i would be for superman being in 3d. But i doubt they would film the whole film in 3d like avatar did. It is still a very expensive process and i am sure the studio probably wants to have a nice fixed budget for superman around 150mill or so. At most i could see maybe a few scenes being converted to 3d.

BH/HHH did you see Avatar in 3d yet? I was skeptical at first but really impressed with how far they've come, like nothing i've ever scene before. Don't knock it until you've tried it. That's just my two cents.

I saw My Bloody Valentine in 3D and whilst I enjoyed it I just thought the 3D aspect was ok. I personally am not interested in 3D tbh, doesnt really appeal to me for something I would want to watch again and again. I dont wanna see Avatar at all either, not a huge fan of James Cameron or sci-fi (certain types).

a hint how to own me.

'' dark_b if the point is to make a movie where you dont notice the 3D then why do we have to pay more money''
:cwink::hehe:

a hint how to own me.

'' dark_b if the point is to make a movie where you dont notice the 3D then why do we have to pay more money''
:cwink::hehe:

Im not trying to own you, I just disagree with you. Not hating here or owt :D

I saw My Bloody Valentine in 3D and whilst I enjoyed it I just thought the 3D aspect was ok. I personally am not interested in 3D tbh, doesnt really appeal to me for something I would want to watch again and again. I dont wanna see Avatar at all either, not a huge fan of James Cameron or sci-fi (certain types).

I gotta say i think it's a shame to miss out it. If sci-fi isn't your thing then i understand. I for one enjoyed the story (don't care if it is recycled how many romantic comedies have the same plot) and love the visuals. Just for the visualization alone it worth the price of admission, but i am a scifi guy so i can only talk for myself. Also it gets over looked but i think it's the most fully realized digital character/actors ever put on screen. I was truly impressed and had no problem investing my emotions in these characters. The commercials don't do it justice.

Simply from a visual effects/ film making interests i'd say it's worth seeing. Ok, stopping the advertisement now.

Silly question.....but OF COURSE the next Supes film should be in 3D!

Todays technology demands a Superman film to be shot or shown in 3D format.

That's just the way it is folks.

I'd be hapy with it in 3d as long as it was done right..
mind you i'd be happy with an all CGI Superman movie (think The Polar Express but with a bloke flying round in a cape) shot in 3D.

Everyone tries to pretend this thread wasn't made because of the awesome 3d work in Avatar...

Good luck with that ;)

Yes a 3d version is necessary especially with all the cool things Superman can do. Heat vision coming at you, flight at ridiculous speed maybe even from his pov in a scene, freeze particles, etc... Sooo many useful 3d effects for Superman.

Everyone tries to pretend this thread wasn't made because of the awesome 3d work in Avatar...

Good luck with that ;)

Yes a 3d version is necessary especially with all the cool things Superman can do. Heat vision coming at you, flight at ridiculous speed maybe even from his pov in a scene, freeze particles, etc... Sooo many useful 3d effects for Superman.
you are talking about the old gimmicky 3D effects.i think 90% dont want this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"