• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Spartan: Reckoning

Swordmaster

Big Damn Hero
Reaction score
The sequel to Spartan: Year One.
15 year-old Kyle Wyatt, the hero known as Spartan, is fed up with the life he's been leading for the past year. His grades have been dropping rapidly, and he barely has any time to spend with his friends. So when the enigmatic figure known as Destiny appears to Kyle and offers to change his life for the better, Kyle accepts. Thrust into a life that should be, but wasn't, Kyle now lives happily. But when offered the choice between what is and what was, what path will he take?
At times the story will change perspectives from first person to third person. Just a heads up.

One

It was a chilly Thursday afternoon in mid-November as Leon Allain, Jackson Crichton, and Briana Walker sat at Mac’s Burger Joint in Xavier City, a few miles east of Riverside. Cars drove by, honking. Drivers screamed. Typical city life.
“Ugh,” Leon said. “I’ve got a five page report due for economics tomorrow.” He was your average teenager, with an average height and build, black hair, and brown eyes, a supplement to Jackson’s stocky build and blonde-brown hair. “What’s it on?” Jackson asked, scratching his head and yawning. Leon stared at him. “Economics. Pay attention, ass.” Jackson glared, and Briana, a short, pretty girl with dirty blonde hair laughed only half-heartedly.
“What’s eating you?” Leon asked. “Nothing,” Briana replied, shaking her head. “Something’s up,” Leon countered. “I can feel it.” Briana stared at him skeptically. “You can, can you?” Leon smirked. “Come on, you know you can trust me. Jackson, not so much.”
Leon glanced at Jackson, who was proverbially foaming at the mouth, then looked back at Briana. “Come on, Bree.” After a minute, Briana looked away, saying, “It’s Kyle.”
Leon fought the urge to look at Jackson, feeling his eyes penetrating his skull. “He said he’d meet us here, and it’s been a half-hour. I swear to God, he’s one of my best friends and all, but…he’s never around anymore. He keeps making all of these promises, but he never delivers. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother!”
This time, Leon gave into his urge, and looked at Jackson. Worry creased his friends face, and with good reason. They, along with Kyle’s father, were the only people who knew of Kyle’s greatest secret, and the reason he was never there…
“Listen,” Jackson began, “Kyle wants to be here. He really does! But there are important things he has to take care of. He’s a very important man!”
“He’s fifteen years old!” Briana retorted. “He’s a teenager, the most important things in a normal teenagers life are, in order, family, friends, and school! So, let me ask you, Jackson, why is Kyle Wyatt so god damn important!”
“Erm…” Jackson muttered. “He’s…” “His dad needs his help at home,” Leon interjected, knowing that Jackson was about to reveal Kyle’s secret. “Right, Jackie Boy?” Staring at him, initially incredulous but then realizing what he was about to say, Jackson replied, “Right, Leon.”
That is what I, Kyle Wyatt, heard as I flew past Mac’s Burgers, chasing after a gigantic mechanical serpent…worm…thing…

But let’s back it up. I’m Kyle Wyatt, fifteen years old and a junior in Xavier High School. I’m also Spartan, the worlds only superhero. I was giving amazing powers as a result of my fathers Phoenix vaccine, which was intended to cure cancer. Needless to say, that didn’t work out quite as he expected. I fought people ranging from common bank robbers to a crazed organization called Adventus, who wanted to use me to conquer the world.

That was a year ago. Now, I’m stuck chasing a crazy scientist who has control of a robotic serpent that’s destroyed a laboratory filled with…other scientists. After saving all the scientists I could, I went after this loon.
His name is Dr. Vance Arwin. That’s all I was able to get from the terrified scientists I rescued before I dropped them off at the hospital.
But enough about him. The serpent (as I will refer to it) tore through the city, destroying everything in sight. Using my hearing to make sure no civilians were hurt, I continued to pursue him. The thing was fast; I’ll give him that. The guy could make a damned quick mechanical serpent. Of course, I have no idea where that would get him in life. “Note to self,” muttered. “Ask loon why he built a giant mechanical serpent.”
As if in retort to my words, gun turrets popped out of the machinations back and immediately started firing hundreds of shots per second at me. I’ll never get why people, knowing I’m bulletproof, keep shooting me with bullets. One of life’s great mysteries, I guess.
The shells bounced off with ease, somewhat tickling me each time. Not in the mood to be tickled, I used my heat vision at its highest intensity to melt the turrets. My hearing picked up Dr. Arwin cursing. Now, normally I don’t get pleasure from people’s pain, but this guy made me smirk.
I launched a webline and attached it to the serpent’s body, and began to “surf” on it, trying to use my great strength to control it. It didn’t work. Its movements were too erratic for me to control. I let go of the webline and kicked off, propelling myself into the air. I hovered for a moment, trying to concoct a plan.
I never got the chance, as the thing threw fire at me from its nose. My Battle Sense warned me just in time, and I jerked to the right, narrowly avoiding the flames. I may be invincible, but the flames still singe me. The worm kept at it, spurting wave after wave of flame at me. This doctor really wanted me dead!
After keeping up this dance for five minutes, the doctor had enough, and launched a continuous stream of fire at me. Thinking fast, I dove right into the flame, and afterwards through the nose.
A minute later, the serpent went rigid, and I emerged from its ass holding a grumbling Dr. Arwin by the neck of his lab coat. He was a frail man, no hair except for random gray patches on the side. He also had horn-rimmed glasses taped together. The overall appearance of thus guy was rather comical.
“So, Doc,” I said. “I’ve been meaning to ask you: Who in the world wants a giant mechanical snake? I mean seriously, what would you do with it…besides trying to destroy a city, because that in itself is pointless, seeing as I would stop you. Because, you see, Spartan always manages to save the day.”
Cheesy, I know, but true. “Rein it in, Spartan,” a lazy yet confident voice called. I turned and saw Sarge, my connection to the Xavier City Police Department. I webbed the good doctors hands and feet together, then handed him to Sarge’s underlings.

Who is this guy, anyway?” I asked. “Besides Dr. Vance Arwin, I mean.” Sarge pulled a file out and flipped through it. “Dr. Vance Arwin, aged fifty-three. He was fired from Zenith, the lab he blew up, for suggesting that they use mechanical animals, much like that worm thing, to conquer the world. Funny, huh?”
When Sarge said ‘conquer world’, I froze. Ever since my encounter with Dean Murdoch, evil plans for world domination haven’t appealed to me. “Not really,” I said coldly. I didn’t mean to sound so cold, but I had to make a point. Sarge got it. “Um…right. Sorry.” “No worries,” I sighed. Because of my being Spartan, my friends suffered for it. Including Sarge. My friends…dammit!
“Sarge, what time is it?” I demanded. He checked his phone. Four-o’five, why do you ask?” I looked up in the air. “****!! Sorry, but I gotta go!” Without waiting for him to answer, I took off into the sky.
A half-minute later, I landed behind Mac’s, where I was supposed to meet my friends over an hour ago. I changed back and became Kyle Wyatt, student, again.
I walked into Mac’s and saw it was empty. Except for Mac, who waved me forward when he saw me. He was a middle aged, bald, heavyset man, who at first seemed gruff, but was overall a nice guy. “Your friends left here about fifteen minutes ago,” Mac said. “Said that if you should ever stop on by to tell you that.”
I lowered my head, cursing myself silently. “Thanks, Mac,” I muttered as I walked out of the restaurant.

Two

I ran home, thinking about how much I screwed up. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if this were the first time. No, this is more like the forty-second time. I berated myself mentally until I got home, where I found my father, Thomas Wyatt, sitting on his chair, mulling over a piece of paper. “Hey Dad,” I said, sitting on the couch opposite him. No answer. I tried to get a good look at the paper he had in his hand, to no avail. “I don’t wanna know what that paper is, do I?”
Dad grunted and tossed it at me. Lo and behold, it was my report card. I quickly scanned through all the grades; C’s in everything (except in Math, in which I got a D in). I looked up from the paper, staring right into my Dad’s eyes, which were burning with anger. “You better shape up next quarter, Kyle. If you don’t…” He left the sentence hanging, like a threat, which I knew it was.
“If I don’t what, Padre?” I retorted. Dad moved back, as If punched him. “It’s fairly obvious, Kyle. No friends, no T.V., and no video games.” It was as I thought. He’s been threatening me with that ever since I went back in time. That was when I started getting dumber. Still, I needed to ask something else. “What about my being Spartan?” “Don’t be silly,” Dad said dismissively. “The people-the world-needs Spartan.”
I got up and went towards the stairs. “The world may need Spartan, but I sure as hell don’t.”
I went up to my room, thinking of the hell my life’s become since May. Briana didn’t talk to me again until August, and that was only because of Leon’s help. I’ve been trying to work up the courage to tell her everything, but every time I get remotely close, I have to go save the day. This has been going on for months now. It sucks donkey balls.
I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a five-page (front and back) letter, written for Briana. In this letter, I explained everything to her: how I got my powers, my life as Spartan, and lastly, how I feel about her. I read through the letter, just to remember what I wrote. Reading it, I felt sad. Then angry. Instantly, the letter began to burn up. I sighed and just sat there until the paper was nothing more than a pile of ashes.
When I was done cleaning up the pile of ashes, I lay back on my bed and looked at the calendar. November the fourteenth. One week before my birthday. I closed my eyes, and before I knew it, I was sleeping.

My dream was an interesting one, as well as a recurring one. I’ve been having it for a few moths now, and every time it’s the same thing. It showed me (in my school uniform) fighting against Spartan. Spartan always wins, and then proceeds to consume me. That’s when I wake up.
Like now. I awoke, just in time for Dad to call me down for dinner. I shook off the dream; as I had done so many times before, and went down to eat.

Three

The rest of that Thursday went on without incident. On Friday, after school, I was walking home when I saw an elderly man in my path. This was made interesting by the fact that he was wearing a glowing robe. “Excuse me,” I said. The man turned and faced me. His hear was chalk white, as was his beard, but the rest of him seemed quite normal. Except for the fact that he was wearing a glowing robe. “Certainly, Spartan,” he said, gesturing me to move forward.
“Thanks-“ I began, before realizing what he said. “Um…what did you call me?” The man smiled pleasantly. “Spartan. That is who you are, is it not, Kyle Wyatt?” I glared at the man. “Who the hell are you?” I demanded.
The man bowed. “Of course, how rude of me. I am the human avatar of Destiny, and I’ve come to change yours. For the better, I hope.”
Confused outta my mind, I asked, “What do you mean? How do you know I’m Spartan?” I whispered the last part, so that no one would hear. “Destiny” held his hands out placating. “I know all, young hero. You have been Spartan for a year now, and you have no rewards to show for it. Such a shame. Such a shame! That is about to change.” I looked at him quizzically. I admit the man intrigued me, though I am not sure if he was legit. “Go on,” I said.
“I have been granted authority by the powers that be to alter your destiny. I can make it so that your mother, Nina Wyatt, had never died. This will make it so you never received your powers, and thus Spartan never existed. A regrettable side-effect, but I think the pay-off is worth it.”
I looked at him sharply. “What?!” I said angrily. The truth was, I wasn’t angry, but confused. Destiny continued to smile at me. It was, for lack of a better term, annoying. “If you willed it, Kyle Wyatt, I can make it so that your mother never died, and thus Spartan, the apparent bane of your existence, would never have been born.”
“Thanks for the offer, “Destiny”, but no thanks” I said, arms crossed. “The world needs Spartan.”
“But you don’t,” Destiny said, repeating my own words to me. I snarled. “If you ever change your mind, just say my name. I do hope you reconsider.”
Before I could respond, the enigmatic man disappeared in a bright light, leaving me alone, deep in thought.

Four

On Monday afternoon, as soon as the bell rang, me, Leon, Jackson, and Briana burst out of the front doors as fast as humanly possible (I say humanly because I could go faster, but a) Briana still doesn’t know, and b) that would leave my friends behind to deal with…it).
We eventually made it to Mac’s, and hid behind the building. “It’s everywhere!” Leon gasped. “Why does it want you again?” I asked. Leon just shrugged. We all started to remotely breathe again when we heard a ragged breathing. We all turned around and saw Sara Shinlye behind us.
Sara is supposedly a girl, but that’s open to debate. Think of every disease-ridden hooker you’ve ever seen, and then multiply that by ten. That’s Sara Shinlye. She has brown hair that looks like it hasn’t been washed in years, huge-ass eyes that look as if they’re looking inside you, and what she claims to be acne all around her upper lip. Forget Adventus, forget mad scientists. My true enemy was the human incarnation of Herpes.
“Get the hell outta here, ****e monkey,” I growled, as Leon started backing away. She turned and glared at me. “It’th a free country, athhole!” I rolled my eyes. She used that excuse all the freaking time.
Sara started to move towards Leon again, and thus moving towards the rest of us. Leon continued to back away, wearing a mixture of anger and fear on his face; Jackson sat in a ball, muttering, “The Disease…. The Disease…”; I ran and hid behind Briana, who proceeded to hide behind me.
Leon stole a covert glance at me. It was clear he wanted me to help him. Thinking quickly, I used my heat vision and melted Sara’s shoes to the ground. “Move it,” I screamed.
My friends didn’t need to hear it twice. As soon as the words left my lips, they made a break for it, leaving Sara screaming, “Leon! Why don’t you love me!?”
Without paying her second thought, we kept running. Without stopping, Jackson told Leon, “Never trust a girl with a lisp!” Leon responded, “I’m never making that mistake again!”

When we were a safe distance away, we stopped and laughed. Well, Jackson, Briana, and I laughed. Leon cried. “What I wanna know,” Briana laughed. “Is why she didn’t come after us. I mean, when has she ever stopped chasing Leon before?”
I had to think fast. Leon glanced at me through his teary eyes, and Jackson avoided my eyes, knowing that he’d say something stupid. “Um…maybe she had to go to the bathroom?” Lame, I know. But it was the best I could do on such short notice. Jackson snorted. “Silly Kyle, ****e monkeys can’t use the bathroom.”
This got a laugh from everyone. When everyone was done, Briana turned to me. “I’m glad you could come today, Kyle. Even under the circumstances…”
I smiled, wondering what would happen if I had to save someone from a fire, which would have prevented me from saving my friends from ****e monkey.
Sirens interrupted my thoughts. Listening in on the e-band, I learned there was a, you guessed it, fire. I quickly excused myself, pretending my phone was vibrating. Before I left, I cast significant looks over at Leon and Jackson. They nodded. We’d established protocols in case something like this ever came up. This was one of them.
When a certain period of time had elapsed, Leon would fake getting a call on his cell phone. The “call” would say I had to run home to help my Dad with something (Leon would decide what).
I ran into the nearby alleyway and ripped open my shirt, revealing Spartan’s ‘S’ and changing into my costumed counterpart once more. I propelled myself in the air, and flew towards the fire, while cursing myself silently for leaving my friends behind.

Five

A minute later I arrived at a burning apartment complex. On the roof of the burning building was a man who looked to be in his twenties. His hair was spiked bleach blonde, and he was wearing armor that looked to be the color of ember. On his wrists were what appeared to be portable flamethrowers. I heard him screaming random crap about the apocalypse and the like, when he said, “Adventus will rule you all! And you will love it!”
My first thought was that he was am Adventus fanatic, but after looking at his armor I found the design to be similar to the mech suit that Dean Murdoch battled me in. I flew and landed on the building right in front of the Adventi. When he saw me he smiled wickedly. “So, this is Spartan. My masters told me about you. They said you have great power…” The Adventi (I will now refer to him as Flamehead) dashed at me with phenomenal speed, almost as fast as my own. In an instant, he was in front of me. “…But no skill.” Flamehead punched me, and I dodged. “No skill, eh?” I asked.
While the two of us engaged blows, I was working out a way to beat this clown. His armor obviously gave him enhanced abilities, many of which mimicked my own. Heat vision wouldn’t work on a guy whose primary attribute is fire. It looked like I’d just have to beat him down, which would be a problem. You see, I don’t have any real combat skills. I usually just rely on my strength and agility to get me through a fight. That usually works, as most of the people I fight have no powers. But now, as I fight a trained warrior with similar physical traits as me, I’m in for a though fight. That, and the fact that I have to save people in the burning building.
Flamehead charged at me, so I leaped over him and kicked him in the back. As he staggered, I attached a webline to his back and yanked him back towards me. As I turned him around, he aimed his flamethrower at my face. Before I could react, he activated it, and spurted out not flames, but a blue gas thing.
I coughed, and let the bastard go. He ran for the edge of the building and leaped off, and before I could even register what was happening, I heard the sound of a neck snapping. I ran over to the edge and saw Flamehead’s now deceased body on the ground, a pool of blood flowing from under him. Civilians crowded around the corpse, and an ambulance was arriving. Luckily for me they saw the guy jump, otherwise I’d have a citywide manhunt on my head.
Realizing that I still had people to save in the building, I leaped off the edge, attached a webline to a window frame, and swung into the inferno. I remember thinking that I’d finally entered hell.
As soon as I landed, I heard terrified screams coming from all directions. I keeled over and put my hands over my ears. I still hadn’t fine-tuned my hearing to learn how to shield out all the excess. I even have to sleep with sound dampeners over my ears so I don’t suffer from insomnia. It’s a good thing I always keep an ear out for sirens, eh?
Centering myself a minute later, I found that the screams had stopped. Hoping I wasn’t too late, I ran to the place where I heard the first scream: a closet. Inside was a woman. She was dead, and it was my fault. Swearing, I ran to the other five sites. Each site had a dead person.
At the last site I dropped to my knees, a teenager defeated. Because of my self-pity, my battle sense had shut down, and I failed to sense that the building was about to blow. When it finally did, I was caught completely off guard and flung from the building.
I fell for a while. I didn’t even notice, as I was busy feeling guilty. I finally snapped out of it when Sarge said, “Spartan?” I looked up and saw I was in his arms. He must have caught me. At the time, I wish he hadn’t. I leaped out onto the ground. “You didn’t have to catch me. I would have stopped myself,” I growled. “Uh-huh. I saw you, Spartan. You weren’t there. What happened?”
I turned and glared at Sarge. “For the first time in my career, I failed. Everyone who couldn’t get out of that building is dead. Because of me.” Sarge looked shocked and sympathetic. “Everyone fails sometimes. Even you can’t save everyone.”
I turned away, whispering, “But Spartan always saves the day…” before flying back into the sky.

Six
That night, I slept poorly, dreaming of myself constantly failing in everything, not just being Spartan. I was aware I was dreaming, but I couldn’t wake myself up. The images I saw were horrible, so bad that I won’t say them. Just picture your whole life crashing before your eyes, and you could do nothing to stop it. That’s what I dreamed.
I was finally forced awake by my alarm clock. Time to get ready for school. I passed a mirror and looked at myself. I was paler than usual, and my hair was wet with sweat. Giving credit to my dreams for it, as well as my guilt, I showered and got ready for class.
The school day was, to put it bluntly, crap. My mind was everywhere, and at the same time nowhere. I was pretty sure that I failed my math test. I got yelled at five times before lunch for not paying attention. Needless to say, my day was bad.
At lunch I sat alone, feeling like major crap. Not only was I still super pale, but my hair was still sweaty and I couldn’t stop twitching. You know how you feel when you first get a cold? That’s what I felt like.
Eventually, my friends came over to my table and sat with me. Briana asked, “What’s up with you today, Kyle? I mean, in class today it was like you weren’t there. And, no offense, but you look like hammered crap.”
Ignoring her last part, I mumbled, “It’s nothing.” She didn’t take the hint to drop it. “Come on…you know you can tell me.” I tried ignoring her, hoping she’d give it up. But she kept prodding. Finally, I snapped. “IT’S NOTHING!” I screamed, causing Briana to cry and run to the girls room. Shocked by what I’d done, I got up from my seat and made my way to the exit, but I was halted by Leon and Jackson’s cries. “Kyle!” Jackson yelled. “What the hell was that about?” “Nothing,” I hissed. I looked side to side. I had to get out of the cafeteria. I needed to figure things out. Like why I screamed at the girl I loved.
“Nothing?” Leon asked. “Then why did you yell at Briana about ‘nothing’, huh?” Becoming incredibly angry, I threw the both of them to the ground, and, seeing as I have super strength, this threw them quite far.
Horrified at what I’d done, I sped away, becoming Spartan but not putting the mask or glasses on.
I finally arrived at my destination: my mother’s grave. I told her everything that happened, and how I didn’t feel like I was in control of myself anymore. “That could all change, Spartan,” an ethereal voice said.
I turned around sharply and saw Destiny standing behind me. Angered again, I lunged at him, but he vanished. Reappearing, he said, “I see the strain of being a hero is getting to you, Spartan.”
Is that really what this all is, I thought. Stress? “What should I do?” I asked wearily. “Accept my offer,” Destiny said. “Everything will be set right if you do. You will never have hurt your friends.” That got my attention. “No one will remember?” “No, Spartan. No one will remember. Not even you.”
“What must I do?” I sighed. I mean, I did my good deeds. I sacrificed my own happiness for a year! I deserved something…and maybe, just maybe, I could be with Briana. “Close your eyes,” Destiny said. I did so. “Imagine what you want the most in the whole world.” I imagined my mother never dying, and a second later, a buzzing started to fill my head, growing stronger and stronger until the world went black. The last thing I remember hearing was, “Happy Birthday, Spartan.”

Seven: Leon
My name is Leon Allain. I am the best friend of Kyle Wyatt, and one of three confidantes who know that he is Spartan.
Jackson, Briana, and I walked home from school on November 21st, just like we always did. The only difference was that we hadn’t seen Kyle at all today. I admit, I was somewhat angry with him, seeing as he used his strength on me and Jackson yesterday, but that didn’t stop me from worrying about him. I’m not even sure how I know, but I think something was wrong with him, and that’s why he acted the way he did.
“Where was Kyle today?” Jackson asked. “It’s his birthday, so he probably skipped,” I replied. I wouldn’t put it past him. Having great power does come with advantages. “Either way, who the hell cares?” Briana asked. She sounded close to yelling. Or crying. I can never tell. It was obvious she was upset, and with good reason. In all the time they knew each other, Briana and Kyle had never gotten into a fight. It was no secret that Kyle pretty much loved Briana, and, using my friendly intuition, I’m pretty sure she felt similar feelings for him, if not the same. Jackson would as well, if he paid more attention. He’s a good friend of mine, but he tends to miss life’s details. But that didn’t stop him from worrying about his friend, and I admire him immensely for that.
Judging from his facial expression, he was going to start yelling at Briana. But before he could, a Mustang raced down the street, definitely breaking the speed limit, followed by three cop cars, also breaking the speed limit. Knowing Kyle, he’d show up soon. Even on his birthday, he puts his heroic responsibilities before his own enjoyment. And that’s why he’s the best hero this world will ever know.
“Well, this will brighten up my day,” Briana said. “Spartan should be flying by any second now.” I laughed to myself. The two of us shared the same brain waves. It also kind of pained me that Briana loved Spartan more each day, but everyday she siphoned that love to him from Kyle.
But Kyle/Spartan never flew by. Jackson and I exchanged bewildered looks. He was probably thinking the same thing as me: Where’s Kyle? Worried, I said, “Hey, uh…let’s stop by Kyle’s for a minute.” Briana looked at me, with an odd look on her face. “Why? Why should we stop to see him after yesterday?”
She had me there. I must admit, the girl was good. “There’s chocolate cake,” Jackson said. I smirked, as his plan was genius. Briana could never resist chocolate. “Well…,” she said, thinking. “Alright. But just for the cake. And I’m not talking to Kyle.” I sighed, but it didn’t really matter. It was just Jackson and me who needed to talk to him anyway. “Uh, guys?” Jackson stammered, pointing. I looked where he was pointing and saw Sara Shinlye headed my way. “****…” I muttered. I don’t know why she was obsessed with me, but she was, and that was all that mattered. And I didn’t have Kyle here to bail me out, so I did what any sane person would do, and ran.

After dodging Shinlye, the three of us made our way to the Wyatt Residence. Jackson rang the bell, and a minute later Dr. Wyatt came to the door, dressed in his scrubs. “Ah, Leon, Jackson. And…I’m sorry, who are you?” he asked, smiling, referring to Briana. She introduced herself, and afterwards I asked if Kyle was home, and the smile slid off his face. Concerned, he invited us inside. Briana, looking uncomfortable, said she’d wait in the living room, so we went into the kitchen.
“He’s not with you?” he asked me in a hushed voice. Confused, I told him no. This caused him to go into a state of considerable panic. Dr. Wyatt started muttering very fast, so I couldn’t understand him. At times like this he reminded me of Kyle. So I did what I’d do to Kyle if he were in the situation. I grabbed the man by the shoulders, and said, “Calm down and tell me everything.” Dr. Wyatt took a deep breath, nodded, and said, “I got a call from Kyle last night, saying that he was sleeping over at your house, Leon. I ok’ed it, considering it a birthday gift. I got off of work early to prepare Kyle’s surprise party (that I, Leon, had forgotten about, so sue me) and found him…not home. I wasn’t surprised, as I figured he was with you guys. You know the rest.”
Me and Jackson stared at each other. I’d never gotten a call from Kyle that night. Hell, I hadn’t seen him since yesterday. I told as much to Dr. Wyatt, who rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Did Kyle ever tell you guys about Adventus?” Jackson and I shook our heads no. Dr. Wyatt explained to us that Adventus was an organization bent on controlling the world; manipulating events, choosing world leaders, (“Hiding the remote?” Jackson asked), etc. He told us how they want to use Kyle to achieve this. “And that’s that,” Dr. Wyatt concluded. After a moment, the man asked, “Can I ask you guys a favor?” “Sure,” I said. “Anything,” Jackson added. “Can I ask you guys to do research on Adventus? I need to know everything about them to figure out what they might want with Kyle.” Jackson was about to make a wise-ass remark, so I covered his mouth with my hand. Anything to help, we’ll do, Dr. Wyatt.

Eight: Day One
On my birthday, I woke up to the sound of rapid tapping on my door. I said tiredly, “Come in.” In walked my mom and sister. My dad was most likely at work. Being a hotshot neurologist means early hours. But the pay is definitely worth it.
Yawning, I sat up and looked at my mom and sister. My mom, Nina, has long blonde hair, very fine and wispy. She also has the brightest blue eyes you’ll ever see. She was reasonably fit and athletic, which she’ll never believe.
My sister, by contrast, had dark, thick brown-black hair and very dark eyes. She’s also one of the sweetest people I know, which she demonstrated by jumping on me and smacking me right on the cheek with her lips. If she was any older than seven, I’d complain, but she’s not, so I didn’t. “Happy Birthday!” she said. I could only smile. “Yes, Happy Birthday, sixteen year old,” Mom said affectionately, rustling my hair. She placed a rectangular box on my lap and said, “Here’s your present.” Putting my glasses on, I ripped open the package and found myself staring at an X-Box 360. I was too shocked for words. “Thanks!” I said enthusiastically. Okay, maybe I wasn’t too shocked for words, so sue me. Wait…you probably can, so scratch that.
“Anything for my baby boy,” Mom said, planting a wet one on my head. I pushed her away. “Gerroff me!” I said. Mom just laughed and led Ashley away. “Bye Big Brother!” I just smiled.
After I got showered and dressed, I used my phone (not my cell) to call Briana. She picked up almost immediately. “Hey!” she said happily. “Hey yourself,” I said. “You still coming to my party tonight?” I asked. “Hells yeah. I wouldn’t miss it for the world. You know that. Unless you’re a closet tardo?” I shook my head as I said, “Who said anything about being a closet tardo? I am a tardo.” She laughed and said she’d meet me and the guys at the theater at 7:00, then hung up. I sighed deeply.
That night, I found her waiting in front of the Fantasia Theater, right where she said she’d be. I started to sneak up behind her, but tripped. Briana turned and saw me on the ground. “You okay?” she asked, helping me up. “Yeah, I’m fine,” I said, dusting myself off. “Now…where’s my present?” Briana just smiled, and we kissed.
“Awww,” a familiar voice said. “Isn’t that sweet, Leon?” Briana and I broke off our kiss and saw Leon and Jackson, smirking like the cocky bastards they are. “I hate you guys,” I sneered. They walked up to me and handed me twenty bucks each. Looking from the money to them, I asked, “Did I ever mention how much I love you guys?”
Everyone laughed, and we all started to walk into the theater. I had my arm around Briana, and I couldn’t help thinking how awesome my life was.

Nine: Leon
The next day, Jackson, Briana, and I were at the library, looking up Adventus. Briana invited herself after hearing Kyle might be in danger, which proved my suspicions that she still cared about him. The three of us went to the somewhat convenient “Ancient Societies” section and started bustling through the shelves. Nothing.
The three of us looked around for a while. About a half-hour in, Jackson walked up to me. “So what do you think happened to Kyle?” I whispered to him. Being the comic nerd he is, he no doubt would come up with an elaborate plot, and I needed a laugh.
“Well, I think that somehow Kyle got gassed with a mind-altering toxin that induces negative emotions, ie. Paranoia, fear, aggression, etc. and that Adventus manipulated Kyle, in his current state, to join with them.” I just stared at my friend a minute. “You’re insane.”
“Guys, I think I got something!” Briana said hopefully. She emerged from behind a shelf with a book entitled “Secret Societies for Dumbass’”. “Sounds like something that would be perfect for Kyle,” Jackson laughed. I looked at him, and then Briana, who had a look of sadness and animosity on her face. She turned away and started flipping through the book.
I beckoned Jackson closer, and then punched him on the arm. “Ow!” he screamed. “What the hell was that for?” I dragged him aside and hissed, “Listen. I know you haven’t been paying attention, so I’ll try to be nice. Briana still cares for Kyle. After everything the two of them have been through, after how many times he’s put Spartan in front of her, in front of us even, she still cares. She may even love him. But I don’t know. I’m no psychic.”
“But I thought she pined for Spartan? She does it enough everyday with us,” Jackson said. “You don’t get it, do you? Yes, she wants Spartan. But she also wants Kyle. It’s like one of those crappy love triangles in your beloved comic books. The humor is, love is like that in real life.”
I know, I know, it was cheesy. But when it comes to love, you have to be cheesy.
“Guys! I think I found something!” Briana yelled. Without second thought, Jackson and I ran back to her. For a fleeting instant, I saw her wipe her eyes with her hand. “Here,” she said, pointing to an old mansion. “The abandoned Vanderwayne Mansion was said to be the old headquarters of the Adventus Organization. That’s all this book has on the subject.”
I thought for a minute before finally saying, “It’s good enough.”

Ten: Day Two
After the movie, which ended at 10:30, I went straight to sleep. I was beat. But I wish I didn’t.
I had the weirdest, and possibly scariest, dream I’ve ever had. In it, I saw myself in my father’s arms at six, standing over the grave of Nina Wyatt, my mother. The scene shifted to me, wearing a weird costume with a Superman ‘S’, holding a lifeless Briana in my arms. It shifted again, to me yelling at my friends and throwing them to the ground, something I’d never do.
I woke up with a slight headache, confused. Unlike most of my dreams, this one stayed with me vividly. I looked at the clock. 11:37 in the morning. Shaking off the dream, I got dressed and went downstairs.
I found my father in his favorite chair, mulling over a piece of paper. He looked serious. “Uh…Dad? What’s that?” “Your report card,” he said, tossing it at me. I scanned through it quickly. A’s in everything, except in math, in which I got a B-. I started to smile, but the image of a report card similar to this, except it was filled with C’s and D’s, entered my mind. Shaking that odd image out of my mind, I smiled, and Dad shoved fifty bucks into my hand. “Congratulations, son,” he said, hugging me. I returned the hug, thought the dreams images still lingered.
Later that day, I hung out at Mac’s with Leon, his girlfriend Loren, Jackson, and Briana. I had my arm around Briana. Loren, a creepy Goth girl who looked like a man (in the opinion of myself and Jackson) was locking lips with Leon. Jackson, who lacked a girlfriend, looked disgusted. “Look at the bright side,” I said to Jackson, “At least he’s not making out with The Disease.” Jackson looked confused. “Who?” he asked. “You know…Sara Shinlye? Looks like a disease-ridden hooker times ten? The human incarnation of Herpes?”
Everyone looked at me oddly. “Come on, guys. Loren. You have to know what I’m talking about.” Loren, insulted, started making out with Leon again, but the rest of them looked at me oddly. “I’ve never known a Sara Shinlye before, Kyle,” Jackson said. “Yeah…me either,” Briana said. “Are you okay, Kyle? You look like you’re in pain.”
I was wincing. The headache was still present, and the Motrin I took wasn’t helping matters at all. “Yeah…I’m fine,” I said. “Just a headache…”
That night, at home, I was watching T.V. with my parents when Ashley walked in from a play date. “Kyle!” she squeaked, running into my arms. “Hey, Kid,” I said, spinning her around then putting her down. “How are you?” I asked her. Before she could answer, she vanished. Shocked, I turned to my parents, who continued to watch T.V. as if nothing was happening. I turned back to where Ashley was, and voila! There she was again.
“Are you okay, Kyle?” she asked me. “Uh…yeah,” I stammered. “I’m, uh, going to bed. Good night, guys.” Cries of “good night” followed me upstairs.
I laid in bed for an hour, thinking. My mom soon walked in, and asked me what was wrong. I told her it was just a headache. “Did you take Motrin?” she asked. I told her I did. She smiled and hugged me. As I hugged her back, the image of her tombstone crawled its way back into my mind

im a bit confused. was chapters 8 and 10 dreams or watever, and why did i have my own 2 chapters? it was kinda cool. WHY "LOREN"?!?!?!?! :mad:

Snipershot said:
im a bit confused. was chapters 8 and 10 dreams or watever, and why did i have my own 2 chapters? it was kinda cool. WHY "LOREN"?!?!?!?! :mad:
You'll see ;)

And it's better than your other ex

no one will EVER top "Briana", and you CANNOT deny that

Snipershot said:
no one will EVER top "Briana", and you CANNOT deny that
Never said it did. LIke I said, it'll make sense when it's done

Eleven: Leon
As soon as we found out the info, we immediately made way to the old mansion on our bikes. I’d never seen any of us so determined, especially Jackson. I guess, deep down, he does care for Kyle. As a friend, anyway. It took us about forty-five minutes, but we’d finally made it. Jackson panted, but otherwise showed no other sign of exhaustion. The same went for Briana.
“This is it,” Briana panted. “Vanderwayne Mansion. Rumored headquarters of Adventus, and hopefully Kyle’s hiding place. Though, now that I think about it, why would they want Kyle?”
I struggled to come up with an excuse fast, but Jackson had that taken care of. “Ransom, maybe? Dr. Wyatt does make a rather large salary.” Briana accepted that, and the three of us made way inside, with me being the undisputed leader. When we got inside, I found the mansion to be much like it’s outside: old. Jackson voiced my thoughts. “This place looks abandoned. I mean, the lights are out, it’s ****ing freezing in here, and there appears to be no life forms in the vicinity.”
He had a point. But still, there was a certain charm about the mansion that compelled me to look in. “You may be right, Jackson,” I said, “but we should still investigate, just to be sure. On that note, we should split up.”
Briana looked at me a little uncertainly. “But Leon, wouldn’t it make more sense for us to stick together. I mean, there is strength in numbers.” I looked at her, and gave her my reasoning. “You make a fair point, Bree. But we could cover more ground this way, and get out of here faster.” My words, which were said quite calmly, appeared to persuade her, and she nodded. I turned to Jackson. “Last chance to back out, Jackson.” He looked taken aback at my words. “Back out? Whatever gave you that impression? I’m here until the end. For all of you.”
I couldn’t help smile at this, and Briana hugged Jackson (in a friendly way). “Alright, then. Let’s go find Kyle.”
I made my way to a large brown oak door and opened it. Inside was a fantastically large armory, filled with ancient armor and weaponry. There was a whole wall filled with swords, which I figured Kyle would love. My mind flashed to memories of the two of us playing with toy lightsabers when we were young (ie. Thirteen). My mind rested on the memories until a shriek I instantly recognized broke through the air.
“Briana?” I said incredulously. I started to walk towards the door, when a yell again pierced the otherwise calm air. “Jackson?” I started to run for the door when a fist hammered into the back of my head, and I fell into a sea of darkness.
“Leon. LEON!” a voice said urgently.
Cries of my name freed me from the darkness. I awoke tied to a metal pole, in between Jackson and Briana. Jackson was wide-awake, and looked both afraid and angry. By contrast, Briana was knocked out cold. Feeling as if I’d had a cinderblock dropped on my head, I observed my surroundings. The room appeared to be a scientific lab of a sort, but there were only two scientists, both of whom were staring at a pod that was located in the center of the room. “What’s going on? Where are we?” I asked Jackson.
He tried to shrug, but couldn’t because his whole torso, like mine and Briana’s, was tied to a metal pole by some sorta thread. It wasn’t that strong, but there was a lot of it used to tie us, and I couldn’t break free.
Grunting angrily, I looked closer at the pod, and was shocked to see what I did. “No…” I whispered.
I couldn’t make out the face, but I saw an ‘S’ shield I knew all too well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"