The Spartan Saga

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Bold, sans-serif]Back to Action[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Eighteen[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I awoke as if from a dream, remembering what had happened perfectly. My eyes snapped open, and I blasted the cover off of some sort of pod with heat vision. I jumped out and saw a group of scientists at a computer. When I stared at them, they disappeared with a loud pop.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My Battle Sense went off, and I saw Niles Ferris aiming a pistol at Leon's head, saying that Spartan wouldn't be able to save him. I ran in front of the bullet that would have entered Leon's skull, which bounced harmlessly off of me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh won't I?” I said, scowling. Ferris' face showed great fear. “Hi Niles, how ya doing?” Without an answer, I punched him in the chest, sending him flying into a wall thirty meters away. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I turned to face Leon, and saw my father and other friends, including Briana, also tied up. While I ripped the ropes that bound them off, I asked Leon, “What the hell are you doing here?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Saving you,” Leon said, getting up and scratching his nose vigorously.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Isn't that my job?” I asked with a small smirk. He laughed at me and hugged me as a brother would. When we released each other, I looked at my father, who just smiled at me in relief. I smiled back, and knew everything was well between us, despite what I had said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Lastly, I turned to Briana, who didn't seem too surprised to see I was Spartan. Without taking my eyes off of Briana, I said to Leon, “You told her, didn't you?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I heard Leon gulp. “Yeah. Sarge too.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I sighed. “This is so gonna bite me in the ass.” I looked at Ferris, who was rapidly keying in commands at the super computer. “Get of here, guys. I'll be right out.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Kyle...” Briana said softly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Go,” I commanded. She complied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Now that they were gone, I was able to slump. I was pretty tired from my coma, of sorts. I flew over to Ferris and landed right next to him. I grabbed him by the throat and growled, “Mind telling me what you're doing?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I activated the building's self-destruct,” he managed to get out. “The building's collapsing as we speak. You should get out now.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My eyes glowed as I said, “I've got nothing to worry about.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Ferris grinned. “Don't you? Think of your friends. Your father.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I used my Hyper-Awareness and saw the debris of the building narrowly missing my friends and father. Growling, threw Ferris to the ground and ran to my Dad and friends, who didn't notice a huge chunk of ceiling about to fall on top of them. Reacting as fast as I could, I created a web net, which was strong enough to hold onto the massive weight of the ceiling boulder.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason looked from me to the boulder. “Thanks,” he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't mention it,” I replied. “Now come on.” When we made it to the entrance, my Battle Sense went off, and I saw the building about to blow within the next two minutes. I turned to the others.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Leon, grab my left arm. Dad, grab my right arm,” I ordered. They did so, and I told Jason to grab onto Leon and Jackson to grab onto my Dad. They did so, and when they were secure, I told Briana to grab on my back.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When everyone was ready, I flew out of the mansion as fast as I was able, and we escaped just in time. A safe distance above, we all watched the mansion become an inferno, destroying Dad's car in the process. After we were done watching, I flew us a few miles into the forest where the mansion was located. When everyone was safely landed, I was all business. “Tell me what happened.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]All five explained to me that the world I was in was a product of Adventus machinations to copy my powers. When I heard that they had given the bank robbers I had fought over a ear ago powers, I turned to leave and fly to the city. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Kyle! Hey Kyle!” I turned to see Briana running up to me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah, Bree?” I asked somewhat impatiently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“A hero needs his mask,” she said, pulling my mask out of her pocket. “I found it when I walked into the mansion.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Thanks,” I said, dropping into my Spartan voice as I slipped the mask on. “Stay here with the others. I'll get you when it's safe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Be careful,” she pleaded.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Aren't I always?” I said jokingly, but then I saw how worried she looked for me. I rubbed my hand on her cheek and whispered, “I'll come back for you. I promise.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Briana smiled. “I'll you to it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Now hovering a foot off of the ground, I said, “Hey, I'm a ginger of my word,” before flying off into hell itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Nineteen[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I flew as fast as I could to the city, which was maybe about half my normal speed. I was still tired from the dream pod, so that probably affected it. When I finally reached the city, I landed atop a crucifix on a church and reached out with my Hyper-Awareness to see the whole city in a state of chaos. Flames were abound, buildings were being destroyed carelessly, and bodies, live and dead, littered the streets. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In alarm, I saw a teenage boy get thrown out of a building by one of the Adventi. Without hesitation, I leaped off the cross and swung to catch the boy. Despite my fatigue, I succeeded, and I set him down. Without waiting for a thank you, I ran to the newly regrouped Five, all who were dressed the same in deep green and red armor, much like Fireboy's. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well look here, boys,” the female leader of the Five said. “The hero actually showed up. Good. Now we can kill you fairly. We wouldn't have minded either way, but this could be a bit more fun.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Fun?” I asked. “For me, maybe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I jumped towards the leader and tried to punch her from above, but one of the other Five leaped into the air and threw me into the ground. Blasting him with heat vision, I got up and attached a web to him, which I used to throw him into a charging Super Adventi. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My Battle Sense, rang, and I turned to see another one of the Five running towards me. I dodged his first punch aimed at my head, but was caught off guard by a punch to my stomach, sending me flying into a building. I caught myself, attached my body to the wall, and used it as a means to accelerate my tackling of the one who had thrown me. I punched his face in, and flipped just as another one came up behind me to grab me. Then the leader came out of nowhere to tackle me to the ground. Despite being a chivalrous man, I had no qualms about hitting a woman who was attacking me. I went to elbow her nose, but she dodged and headbutted my face, drawing blood. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Grunting, I pushed her off of me and grabbed her. Holding on to her tight, I used my super speed and ran up the side of a building. She broke free just as I was halfway to the top, and tried to attack me again. I webbed her towards me and we engaged in fisticuffs as we plummeted. Just as we were about to reach the ground, I attached a web to the side of the building, leaving me to dangle safely but causing her to crash into the ground, leaving a huge crater. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I let go of the web and landed on the ground, and with my Hyper-Awareness saw all of the the Five unconscious. Sighing, I prepared to fly away to help clean up the city, but then my Battle Sense warned me too late that the leader was jumping for me. I tried to dodge, but she was too fast, so I tried to fight back. That was when the rest of the Five appeared and joined in fighting. If I was busying blocking one's attacks, another would attack me from the side. Also, they were better trained in fighting than I was. While that wasn't a problem when I was the only superhuman in the equation, now it was being a bit of a pain. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As I was blasting heat vision at one of them, another jumped on my back and punched it until I fell on my knees. When that happened, they all piled on top of me, punching me whenever they could. At my physical prime, I could probably take them on with difficulty. But now... [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I was tempted to give in, to let them kill me. Oddly enough, it was at this moment that I began to reflect on what had happened in the dream world, and the life I had lived. But that would be living a lie, and I couldn't do that. Yet I wasn't sure I could live in this world, either. A tear silently slid down my cheek.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Then an image of Dad, Sarge, Leon, Jason, Jackson, and Briana burst into my mind, much as the memories had in the dream world. And I remembered the reason I lived. Newly motivated, I blasted heat vision at the ground, which propelled us off of the ground. Using a combination of my flight and strength, I spun everyone off of me and back onto the ground, and flew from each of them, striking them at key areas that my Battle Sense alerted me to. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I landed on the ground just as the Five crashed down, praying that this was over. That was not the case, as each of them robotically rose up, ready to keep going.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It never ends,” I sighed, preparing to fight some more. Then, something I didn't even expect happened: the skin on the Five started to rupture.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It started slow, at first, but soon I saw the skin of the Five bubbling and bursting. Then it morphed into just sizzling as the skin seemed to burn from the inside out. I had to look away from it to keep from getting sick (which, inside the mask, isn't pretty), but I could hear the sizzle sound. But worst of all I heard their screams of pain, of torment. And I couldn't shut them off. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Eventually they stopped, and I looked again. They were gone, replaced by glowing skeletons resting in ash. I learned later from Dad this was a result of a bad reaction with their serum that would have happened to me had I not had the genetic anomaly to interact with me. I looked around at the still burning city and nodded. I still had work to do, and I flew into the sky, leaving the ashes of my foes behind to blow away in the wind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * * [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After doing my best to clean up the city, I flew everybody home, one at a time. Last stop was Briana. I landed on her balcony, which now that I come to think of it was more of a deck. Anyway, I set her down and took off my mask. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hey, thanks for coming to save me,” I said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't mention it,” she replied. “Tell me, though, why didn't you tell me about...all this...when it first happened?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]'I don't know,” I sighed. “I was scared.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Of what?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That you'd think I was a monster,” I said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Why would you think that?” she asked, flabbergasted.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hormones,” I lied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh, Kyle...” Briana said, sounding disappointed in me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'm sorry, if that helps at all,” I said feebly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“For what?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Everything I did to you,” I said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know you were busy as Spartan,” she began, but I interjected.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Not that. What I did earlier today.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know that wasn't you, Kyle,” she said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yes it was,” I replied. “I mean, I would never hit you or any of the other guys like that, but the anger I felt...it didn't just come from nowhere.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Before Briana could answer, we heard a car pull into the driveway. She leaned over the railing to see who it was. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It's Samuel,” she told me, not sounding too pleased about it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'll go then,” I said, putting the mask back on.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No,” she said quickly. “I'll tell him I don't feel well.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Nonsense,” I said, dropping into my Spartan voice. “He's your boyfriend, and he cares for you enough to come by here. You should be with him.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She nodded. “All right.” I hovered into the air. “By the way,” she called after me, “I don't think you're a monster. In fact, I'd go as far as to call you my hero.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I gulped. “Thanks, Briana. That...means a lot to me.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nodding, I flew away to think, maybe sit on a cloud, if possible.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Twenty[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]At home on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I sat on my bed, staring at the Spartan mask and reflecting on the way everything had gone down on Tuesday. I was over the fact that the dream world wasn't real, since I couldn't live a lie. What had shaken me at first was my realization of not loving Olivia, but when I thought about it it made sense. What had me upset now was what I had done to my friends. My power, when unchecked as they were, had proven they could be a curse to those I cared about, and I couldn't have that. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There was a knock on my door. “Come in,” I called, expecting my father to come in. He did, along with Sarge, who looked at me strangely.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah, this is Spartan under the mask,” I said to him in a monotone. “Expecting something different?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Just someone maybe a year older,” Sarge said. “But it makes no difference.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“If you're here upset because I didn't tell you my identity, could you yell later. I'm not in the mood right now.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'm sure you would have told me eventually,” Sarge said reasonably. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I grunted. “Right.” A beat. “I'm sorry for flipping out on you Sunday, by the way. Honestly.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It's okay, Spart...Kyle, I know that that wasn't you,” Sarge said not unkindly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah, it was,” I whispered. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What are you talking about,” Dad asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well, not the full-on anger, but I had sparks in there. Ferris' gas just ignited it, and then fed the flames. The bottom line is that I have a lot of anger issues,” I explained.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So do I, but you don't see me beating myself up every day,” Dad said, trying to make me feel better. It wasn't working.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You don't have superpowers. And you didn't hurt your best friends,” I said, staring back at the mask. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Ah,” Sarge said. “So that's why you're upset. If I had friends like those, and I hurt them, even though I didn't mean to, I'd probably be reacting the exact same way you are right now, Kyle.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Nice to know some part of me is still human,” I muttered. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It was the human part of you that saved the city!” Sarge exclaimed. “Which I forgot to thank you for, by the way.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't thank me for that just yet,” I warned him. I turned to my father. “Dad, is there anyway I could have my powers removed?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad looked at me, shocked. “And why would you want that?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So I could be around people without being afraid of killing them with a flick,” I said, exaggerating. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But you can control them, except when under the influence of something outside your control,” Sarge said, sounding desperate. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“And what if that happens again?” I snapped. “I'm not willing to risk that.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sarge looked at Dad, as if begging him to not listen to my plea. It would seem they had become chummy in the past three days. It was interesting, to say the least. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad stared at me, his face unreadable. “If that's what you want...”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sarge's shoulders sagged, but my face brightened. “You'll do it? Remove my abilities?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No,” Dad said to my surprise. “But I will disable them by giving you a low-level sonic frequency emitter. It will e in your ear, and will render you powerless. If you ever feel the need to get your powers back, you can remove it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“And why would I want that if I'm going through all this trouble to remove them?” I wondered.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Leon told Ferris that being Spartan is part of who you are. I'm inclined to believe him,” Dad said to me coolly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I do too,” Sarge said. “You're a hero, Kyle. No one can convince me otherwise. Maybe you'll learn it, just as I know it. As your father knows it, and as your friends know it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]On Monday, I walked into school, sonic ear bud in place, powers disabled. I had spent the previous day trying to learn how to live again without them, and I admit, I was still a little rusty living as a normal person.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I had no sooner reached my locker when I was dragged into the Principals Office by two security guards waiting for me. Before I knew it, I was sitting before Mr. Norman, who observed me from behind his desk.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You gonna tell me why I'm here?” I asked, despite knowing exactly why.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Like you don't already know,” Mr. Norman said. “You assaulted six students on Tuesday, did you really think that you'd get away without consequence?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I hadn't, actually. In fact, I was praying that this wouldn't happen, that since it was my first known offense to them (they still didn't know I was the School Vigilante), that they'd let me off with a warning. I was a fool.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“For your actions,” Mr. Norman continued, “you are suspended from this high school indefinitely. Effective immediately.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I stared blankly at the fat man who had once tried to have me, as the School Vigilante, arrested. If I still had my powers, my eyes would be glowing red. Instead they merely watered.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Twenty-One[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I got off the bus that took me to Manorstone, the place where the suspended go. As opposed to the relative cleanliness of the regular high school, Manorstone was a **** hole. Garbage was everywhere, graffiti was in abundance, and I could have sworn I saw some blood on the walls. Cursing my luck, I walked in. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I signed in at the main office and was directed to room six by the burly female [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]secretary. Wincing at her man-like hands, I went to the room I was assigned to, which was already occupied by another student, which I found strange. He looked me over, and I looked him over. For some reason, he seemed familiar to me. He had a pointy face, slicked back brown hair, and beady little eyes that I could tell were able switch from friendly to cold in a heartbeat. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Finally, he nodded at me in greeting. “How you doing?” he asked, holding his hand out. I took it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Aside from being here, I'm good,” I replied. “I'm Kyle.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Got a last name, Kyle?” he asked, his eyes friendly. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It's Wyatt,” I laughed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Good. Now that I know you, you can know me. I'm David Monroe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Nice to meet you, David.” Nervously, I added. “Won't we get in trouble for talking in here?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Nah, they don't care,” David said off-handedly. I accepted this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So why're you here?” he asked me, leaning back in his chair and smiling smugly at me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I considered how to tell him. Finally, I said, “Got into a few fights at school, so now I'm here indefinitely.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My condolences,” David said sympathetically. “They threw me in here today for cheating, even though I wasn't.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“And they didn't believe you,” I observed. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Obviously,” David said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well...that sucks,” I chuckled.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Definitely. I should just shoot the whole school, for revenge.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I looked at David, and how cold and cruel his eyes were. “You're joking, right?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]David stared at me. Eyes narrowed. “Yes, Kyle. I'm joking.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Honestly, though, I didn't believe him. The rest of the day we sat in silence; he looked over some sort of picture that was folded in his pocket, and I caught up on schoolwork that I would have done if I wasn't busy playing hero. When the time came for us to leave, we did so silently. I saw him crumple the paper he had studied so intently into a ball and toss it into the trash can. I paid it nor him no mind as I walked out of the building.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next morning, Dad dropped me off directly at Manorstone, where for two hours I sat there and read Watchmen. All the while I kept thinking about David and what he was doing yesterday. I had asked him what he was looking at, but all he'd done was grunted in response. Finally, it got to the point where my curiosity overwhelmed me. I went to the trash can and, true to my suspicions, found the trash un-emptied. Un-crumpling it, I gasped. It was a map of the school, with X's marked over the entire map. One of them said, “Strike here,” and another said, “Exit here.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I remembered what he had said about shooting the school up, and I realized he had been serious after all. I knew I shouldn't have given him the benefit of the doubt. I walked over the door to try to earn someone, but it was locked, and no one was there to open it or listen to me. I took out my phone, only to find I had no service in the room.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I began to sweat out of frustration, and began to feel a familiar anger boiling inside me, wishing I could do something. Then I remembered the stud in my ear. Though I had asked for it, I realized that me being powerless was not the right path for me to take. Defiantly, I ripped out the bud and flew out the window to play hero once more.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Twenty-Two[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I flew to the school, where police cars were lined up outside. Using my Hyper-Awareness, I located Sarge, barking out orders. I landed silently beside him.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What's the situation?” I asked crisply.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sarge turned to me, eyes wide. “Ky...Spartan? You came!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Seemed like a party I wouldn't want to miss. Fill me in.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sarge grinned, but then fell serious. “The school's in lockdown. Has been for the past hour. We've tried to open negotiations, but so far no luck.” He took a deep breath. “Four wounded.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I turned sharply. “How do you know?” [/FONT]
“[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I've been keeping in touch with your friend Briana. It's how we found out about the situation. She texted me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“When was the last time you heard from her?” I asked urgently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Five minutes ago.” Sarge looked at me, confused. “You know, in all my years on the force I've never dealt with a school shooting. What could make a kid do something like this?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“David Monroe, the “kid” you're talking about, is a very disturbed person.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“How did you know that was the kid?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Doesn't matter,” I said. “He's angry at the system, and this is his revenge.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Using my Hyper-Awareness, I searched the school for David, and found him in the library, walking towards Jason and Briana, who were hiding under a desk.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Springing into action, I leaped into the air and swung through the library window, timing it exactly right so that David was kicked to the ground, where I webbed him there to keep him from moving. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I turned to Jason and Jackson. “You guys all right?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” Briana said, sounding relieved. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“All's good,” Jason said, walking over to David and kicking him in the groin.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sounding as if he was pain, David gasped, “You know, Spartan, this all your fault that I'm here, right?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Briana looked at me quizzically as she asked, “What are you talking about?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You know when the city was attacked last week?” David said. “Well, one of those five guys threw me out of my apartment building, and your hero Spartan caught me as fell. I didn't even get a chance to thank him, too.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Realization hit me. That was why he looked familiar to me. I had saved him from the Five Super Adventi. I looked down at him. “I save everybody, good or bad.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]David spat at my feet. “You're pathetic, you know that?” My Battle Sense directed my sight to his hand, and my eyes widened at the sight. Somehow, he had manged to hold onto his own gun, a glock, as he fell. He aimed at my visor and shot me. It cracked my visor, but of course I was left undamaged.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I stared at David coldly, and he looked at me, his face darkening with realization. “Kyle Wyatt...” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I really need a new set of eyes,” I muttered to myself as the visor repaired itself. When it was done, I blasted the gun out of David's hand and, for good measure, tying David's feet together. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Keep an eye on him,” I told Briana and Jason. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No prob,” Jason said, putting his leg triumphantly on David's torso. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I ran out the window and landed in front of Sarge. “The situation's handled,” I said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Great,” Sarge said, smiling. “Could I talk to you for a minute?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I nodded, and he led me to an alley. When we got there, he asked me to take off my mask. I complied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I just wanted to tell you that I think you made the right choice by coming here today. You saved the day again.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Too bad the school won't see it the way you do. Since they don't know who I am, I'm still suspended,” I said sadly. “Now likely expelled since I left Manorstone.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'll call in some favors, get you back in,” Sarge said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You can do that?” I asked, astonished.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know people,” Sarge said mysteriously. “You know, if you were blaming yourself for what had happened the other day, this should make up for it. Though I still maintain that you're blameless.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But am I?” I mumbled. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]At home that night, I sat on the couch watching T.V. in the living room when Dad walked down from his office. “Good news. They've lifted your suspension.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I smiled inwardly, knowing Sarge had come through. “That's great,” I said with as much cheer as I could muster.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Something's bugging you,” Dad said, and I rolled my eyes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Okay, I've asked before and I'll ask again: Can you read minds?” I Asked, not entirely joking. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'm just emotionally intuitive,” Dad said, sitting beside me. “Talk to me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well, there's to things...”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Let's start with one,” Dad said gently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I laughed. “Well, number one. Right before I came out of the dream world, I realized that I never loved Olivia the way I love Briana.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“And you think you'll be dishonoring Olivia's memory by moving on with your life,” Dad finished.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“See, that's what I mean by the psychic thing,” I laughed. “Seriously, stop.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sorry,” Dad said sheepishly. “But Olivia wouldn't want you to be alone. She'd want you to be happy.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]His words mirrored Briana's, which definitely gave it some meaning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Now, the second thing?” he asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well, I've spoken to you about how the gas increased my anger, but didn't create it. I won't go into that again. But I'm scared that I'm going to become like David Monroe, and that one day by anger will explode and take me over, turning me into the monster I've always feared I could become.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad startled me by grabbing me and hugging me tight. “You listen to me, and you listen to me well, Kyle Wyatt. You will never be a monster. I believe in you, you understand? I believe in you.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I hugged Dad back tightly, and I began to think of a plan.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Twenty-Three[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next day, I made my return to school, and as I walked through the halls noticed everybody but my friends looking at me in fear. In chem, Keith Ottman yelped when I walked into the room. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]At lunch, I sat with my Jason, Jackson, and Leon, all who talked to me normally. I did my best to be an active part of the conversation, but it was hard since Briana was with Samuel, and I was saddened by that.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]That's how it was through February (aside from the Briana part, who made it a point to sit with us at least every other day). When it came to Valentine's Day, my personal least favorite holiday, the actual day went on fairly normally: I walked through school as a pariah, did my work but didn't raise my hand once, talked to my friends at lunch, saw couples doing all the things that couples do that made me sick, etcetera.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After school on that dreadful day, I was walking to a place where I could climb up a wall and find a rooftop to just sit and think on, when I saw Briana attempting to give a teddy bear to Samuel, who accepted it off-handedly, causing Briana to look disheartened. I felt her pain, but moved on. It wasn't my place to talk to her about her relationship. Leave that to Leon, I thought.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]That Valentine's night, Leon was with Alyssa, making out passionately, Jackson was busying himself by writing a screenplay, Jason was once more hiding from Sara Shinlye (who had taken to wearing a neck brace since I'd attacked her), and Briana was in her room, cradled in her bed. All the while, I was beating up a gang of rapists, but the image of Briana alone stayed in my mind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next morning, I walked to the Usual Spot, ignoring the whispers of my peers. Only Leon was there.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Where's your neighbor?” I asked, referring to Jason.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“He stayed up most of the night hiding from Sara, so now he's nearly comatose,” Leon explained with a grin.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh,” I said, laughing mentally.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But I've got more important news,” Leon said. I could tell he was itching to tell me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Shoot,” I said, curious.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Briana's dumping Samuel!” exclaimed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Really?” I asked, my interest piqued. “Why?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“She says he's never there for her, and she's sick of it. Can't blame her, really.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'd be sick of it too,” I said, thinking. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You know she likes you again, right? As more than friends, I mean,” Leon told me coyly. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I kinda figured,” I said, rubbing my neck. “But is it me, or Spartan that she likes?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Damn it Kyle,” Leon said, exasperated. “You and Spartan are the same. Why is it that it's only you who can't see that?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After school, I sat on a roof, thinking about what Leon said. I realized that the duality of Kyle Wyatt and Spartan was what fueled the war that raged within me. If I could figure that out, everything else would fall into place.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My thoughts were interrupted by my Battle Sense, which in turn activated my Hyper-Awareness, which showed Samuel beating Briana outside of Mac's. Eyes glowing, I pushed off of the roof and transformed into Spartan before hitting the ground. I flew as fast as I could to Mac's, and when I reached there grabbed Samuel and threw him into the fence opposite us, knocking him out cold.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I turned to Briana, who was bleeding and bruised, but otherwise seemed to be fine, apart from the fact that she was sobbing. I landed, changing back into my civvies as I did so. I took Briana's body in my arms and cooed, “It will be all right, Briana. Everything will be all right.” [/FONT]​

Chapter Twenty-Four

When Briana had regained composure, she told that when she tried to break-up with Samuel, he started to beat her, saying that she was his, and his alone. She tried to fight back, but he was bigger than she was. Enraged by this, I had Leon, Jason, and Jackson leak information about Samuel that he was a possessive, yet uncaring. abusive boyfriend to the school. After everyone found out, no girl would date him. Within a month, he transferred back to his old school.

After that, the year was pretty uneventful. But in spite of what had happened with David Monroe and Samuel Brant, in a way they had helped me realize what I had to do. On that last day of school, I cleared my plan with Dad, who reluctantly wished me luck. Then I asked Sarge about it, and my cop friend gave me his blessing. Then I went to Leon, Jason, and Jackson individually to discuss my plan with them. The last stop was Briana.

Floating up onto her deck, mask off, I walked up to her door and lightly tapped it. She looked up from the magazine she was reading and, upon seeing it was me, ran to the door and came outside.

“Hi,” she said breathlessly.

“Hey,” I said, smiling. “How are you doing?”

“Eh, all right,” she said. “You?”

“I've been better,” I admitted honestly. “You see, and I've told you this, I've had a lot of anger pent up in me, and through Samuel and David, I've seen what that could do if I leave it unchecked. With my powers, combined with my admittedly explosive temper, that could be bad for everyone.”

“But you're a better man then David was, and especially Samuel,” Briana said.

I held up a hand. “I wasn't finished. Leon has also made me question my identity. Ever since I've become Spartan, I've viewed him and Kyle Wyatt as two separate entities, but now I'm thinking they might be two sides of the same coin, if you get my drift.”

“Leon's right,” Briana said. “It's not the costume that makes you the hero, Kyle. It's who you are! It was you that saved the city last November. It was you that saved me and Jason from David. And it was you who saved me from Samuel. It doesn't matter that you were wearing the costume. What matters is that it was your heart that drove you!”

“It's nice that you realize that,” I said. “But it's something that I have to find out for myself. Which is why I have to leave.”

Briana's mouth dropped. “Leave? But...but why can't you find out here? I can help you! Leon, Jason, Jackson, we can all help you!” Her voice was pleading.

I smiled slightly. “I appreciate the offer, but I need to find out without the people who know me.”

“And love you?” Briana said, angry and desperate at the same time.

I turned away, fighting the tears that threatened to build up. “I already cleared it with my Dad. It's amazing what he'll let me get away with, knowing I'm invincible. Sarge has given me his blessing. He thinks he can hold onto the city for the month I plan on being gone. Leon supports me one-hundred percent, Jason seemingly doesn't care, and Jackson wishes me luck.” I turned back to her. “Can't you understand why I have to go?”

Tears streaming down her face, she nodded. “I understand.”

“I'll miss you, Briana. Know that. And if you ever need my help, call. I'll be listening.”

I went to jump off the deck, but Briana called, “Kyle!” I turned, and she jumped on top of me and kissed me, long and deep. When we broke apart, I stuttered. “I...”

The sound of a police chopper above cut me off. In the distance I heard sirens. I put the mask on, and in my Spartan voice said, “I've got to go to work.”

Latching a webline onto the helicopter, I leaped off of the railing, and behind me I heard Briana say, “I love you, too.”

I released the webline and alternated between swinging and flying to save the day.

Because Spartan would always be there to save the day.

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Bold, sans-serif]Book IV[/FONT]

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Bold, sans-serif]Identity Crisis[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter One[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My name is Kyle Wyatt, and I am more confused now than I have ever been.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Or is my name Spartan? I'm not so sure anymore. Ever since Adventus captured me and put me into a dream world where I never got my Spider-Man/Superman like abilities, I've been having a sort of identity crisis, and to figure out who I am, I left my home of Riverside on a road trip, of sorts. Of course, it should technically be called an “air-trip”, because I'm flying most of the way, but hey, I've never been one for semantics. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Another facet of my crisis was the fact that I admittedly have an anger problem, one that Adventus used to their advantage. One that caused me to attack my friends. When you have superpowers like I do, you realize that something needs to be done to control your anger.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So anyway, I was flying towards Xavier City to stop a crime that I had heard, the one that had taken me away from the girl I loved, Briana Walker. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]That made things personal.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I flew into the city square, which was engulfed in fire. Using my hyper-awareness, I saw that the person responsible was Fireboy, the Adventi who had caused my downwards mental spiral. Eyes glowing red, I flew down and tackled him to the bald black man to the street, the screams of the people echoing in my head. I ripped off the flamethrowers he had attached to his arms. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I punched him in the jowls, hard, knocking his head to the side. When he had enough strength to move, he smiled at me, blood staining his teeth. “Look who it is.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Who sent you?” I snarled. “Ferris?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hardly,” Fireboy said, sounding offended. “I'm a merc. Adventus just hired me to pretend to be an Adventi in order for their plans to work. They even gave me lines to say and everything.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“And you agreed to it, I'm guessing?” I asked.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hey, money's money,” Fireboy said simply. “Which, by the way, I never got to receive, thanks to you scaring off my employers.” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My apologies,” I said not at all sincerely, lifting him and throwing him up into the air, webbing him to a lamppost. As I inspected the webs to make sure that they would hold, I heard sirens nearby, and knew it was safe to leave. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I began to hover away, but Fireboy called out to me. “I'll get out, you know! And then I'll come after you! You think you're invincible? What about your friends? Your father? Adventus told me everything about you! I'll get out, just like I did last time! You're ****ed, you hear me!? ****ED!”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Flashes of Leon, Jackson, Jason, and Briana flashed through my mind. If they got hurt, it'd be my fault. I had to end this. Eyes glowing as red as they ever had before, I turned back and collided into Fireboy, ripping him off of the lamppost. He was back on the ground, where I began repeatedly punching him. Though it was I striking him, I could not see him. Rather, I saw only red. I hadn't been this angry in a long while, not since I had tried to kill the drug lord/pimp Mr. Dark after he had killed my old girlfriend, Olivia Wilde. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“**** you...son of a *****...I'll kill you...,” I hissed.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“SPARTAN!” a voice came from behind me. I didn't turn, but I recognized the [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]voice being that of Sergeant Raphael Mendoza, aka Sarge, my police contact and friend. He was one of seven who knew my secret identity of Kyle Wyatt.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't do this,” he pleaded. “I got you out of this once. This isn't you...Kyle.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He whispered my birth name in a whisper so only I could hear it. This brought me out of my rage, and left me staring at my hands in wonder of what I'd done. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know,” I said, standing and turning to face him. “But who is?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]KYLE WYATT.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A voice boomed, more in my head than in my ears. “What the-?” I looked at Sarge, who looked at me.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Are you all right?” he asked me.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]SPARTAN.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The voice came again, louder this time. “What do you want with me!?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I received no verbal answer, for which I was slightly relieved. The booming voice in my head irritated me. Instead, a bolt of...not lightning, but that's the most accurate word...came from the sky and struck my body. Normally I'm immune to electricity, this time I felt a strange tingle running throughout my body. Then, in a flash of blue, I was out of Xavier City, and in what looked like Biblical Eden. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well,” I said. “This is different.” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Two[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I ripped off my mask, looking around the area to which I had been teleported. It was beautiful. The sky was cloudless and pure blue, birds chirped, flowers were abundant, and the sun was high and bright. It was, as I said, paradise (which is what Eden has been described as, for those who haven't been reading your Bibles...not that I blame you).[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I scratched my head. “Hello?” I called, my voice echoing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hello,” a rich voice from behind me said. I turned to find a man looking at me. He had a brown goatee flecked with gray that matched his full hair, his eyes were a deep brown. He wore brown robes. If not for the fact that he was surrounded by a blue aura, I would think he was a normal human man.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But he was most definitely not.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Who are you?” I asked, my eyes narrowing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My name is...,” the man narrowed his eyes, concentrating, as if trying to remember. A moment later, he stopped and said, “You may call me Sage.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well then, Sage, mind telling me what the hell happened?” I asked sharply. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Certainly,” he said. “Please, sit.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No offense,” I said, “but I don't like sitting on grass in costume.”[/FONT] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage smiled slightly. “Who said anything about sitting on grass?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I turned, and an ornate chair was behind me, almost waiting for me. “How'd that get there?” I demanded.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sit, and all will be explained,” Sage said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I hated being left out of the loop, but my intuition told me that if I wanted answers, I should listen to this “Sage”. My Battle Sense gave me no warnings of danger, but since Sage didn't seem to be entirely human, I wasn't going to rely on it. Sitting down, I nevertheless remained alert as I waited for Sage to begin. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Out of nowhere, a chair similar to my own appeared five feet in front of me, and Sage sat on it. “So, I imagine you have many questions.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Good guess, seeing as all I've been doing since I got here is asking questions,” I snorted. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage smiled his slight smile and said, “Of course. Well, I suppose I should first inform you of who I am.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That'd be a good place to start,” I said, crossing my legs in expectation.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I was once a normal human, who lived on Earth. Then, in my teenage years, I developed...or did I receive?...the power to manipulate reality to my will. Eventually, my power became so vast that my very presence on Earth was destroying it, as first made evident by the weakening of the O-Zone layer. To save the planet, I left and created this dimension, where I could watch the events play out on Earth. Watch, but not interfere.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Why don't you interfere?” I asked, befuddled. If I had his power, I'd make sure that no wars were fought, no poverty existed. The world would be a utopia.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Your thoughts are obvious, Kyle Wyatt,” Sage said, smiling again. “The reason I don't interfere is that humanity should be allowed to choose the fate of their world for themselves. If I removed all the negativity, I'd be removing the natural right of choice.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Is that why you brought me here?” I asked. “To teach me this lesson?” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Not at all,” Sage said. “That was just the backstory so you could understand. No, I summoned you here to assist you.” At my blank look, he continued. “I have a confession to make, Kyle Wyatt. I'm responsible for your powers.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I looked at him, not fully comprehending. “You...[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]you're... [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the reason I'm Spartan?” My eyes began to glow, and it took every bit of restraint in my being to not strangle the bastard sitting in front of me.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Not exactly,” Sage said calmly. “As I said, I do not interfere with humanity. The accident through which you gained your powers was due entirely to your clumsiness. I just altered certain forces with so that you would receive the powers you did, and sprout extra appendages or anything like that.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh,” I said, my anger lessening. “Still, if you were so interested in my well-being, why couldn't you have made it so that I never developed superpowers?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Ah,” Sage said, his eyes shining. “And this is why you're here. Why didn't I prevent your gaining of superhuman abilities? Because, frankly, you have a hero within you. It's a part of who you are.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'm not so sure of that,” I muttered. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Answer me this, then: why, back in ninth grade, when you weren't Spartan and had no obligation to do so, did you run into the burning school to save the little girl?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I went back to that moment. “Because...because I felt I had to.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Exactly,” Sage said. “This is part of who you are. Spartan and Kyle Wyatt are not two separate entities. They're both one being: you.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You're like the third person who's told me that,” I chuckled. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Perhaps that is a sign that I am right?” Sage suggested. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Maybe...,” I conceded. “Still, sometimes I can't help but think that life would be so much better without my powers. I'm sorry, but the Adventus thing (I'm sure you know all about Adventus) has been getting to me these past few months. I know it's selfish, but I want a happy life, and sometimes I think that these powers get in the way of that.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage sighed. “You do not get it yet, I see. Very well then. It is time to go through time and space.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Say what now?” I said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You think your powers make you unhappy,” Sage said. “I am going to show you this is not the case.” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage waved his hand, and my Battle Sense warned me that the chair under me was about to disappear, so I quickly stood up. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Warn me next time you plan on doing that, okay?” I snapped. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage didn't respond to that, but instead asked, “Are you ready to go?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I sighed. “I guess.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage closed his eyes, and I felt my stomach tingle. I sighed, and as I began to disappear I moaned, “Why do I have a bad feeling about this?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Three[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Technically, I didn't exist. At least, not in any physical sense. Instead, I was more like light, though that doesn't describe the state I was in well. But for description's sake, that's what I am. Sage had turned me into a being of light, so that I would be able to observe time in its many alternate forms. How did I know time existed like that? I'm not sure. I just did.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Either way, I travelled through time and space alongside Sage, who was in a similar form as myself. Eventually, we had appeared over Earth, and I had reverted back to my body. Sage appeared beside me back in his body, and together we hovered over the planet. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“We had to do all that just to appear over Earth?” I asked. “Couldn't you have just sent another lightning bolt?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“If we were going to your Earth, certainly,” Sage explained. “But this is not the Earth you belong to. This is an Earth where, instead of your mother dying, it is your father, Thomas Wyatt, who passed on. In this world, he died when you were three years old, the victim of a supermarket robber's stray bullet.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I shivered. Six years ago I doubt I would have cared if my Father was dead. But now, after becoming so close, I don't know what I'd do without him.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Would you like to see what your life is like?” Sage asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Not really,” I said. “But I suppose I have to, in order to learn whatever you want to teach me.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Indeed,” Sage said. And then, all of a sudden, I was in my kitchen, observing my mother reading the newspaper at the table. This version of my mother had short-cropped blonde hair, and looked haggard.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Mom,” I whispered. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You needn't whisper,” Sage said. “They can't hear us.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“They?” I asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage nodded towards the entrance to the kitchen, where this world's version of me walked through.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh dear God,” I said, shocked.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The version of me walking into the kitchen bared little resemblance to the narrator of this story. For one, his red hair was non-existent. Instead, it was jet-black, and greasy looking. He wore all black, with a studded belt. As he removed his hands from his pockets I saw he was wearing black nail polish. That's right. Black. Nail polish. He looked out the window, and I saw he was wearing eyeliner. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“OH FOR ****'S SAKE!” I screamed.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hi, Kyle,” Mom said, not sounding all that happy to see him...me. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Why not?” Goth-Kyle said, sitting down and staring at Mom dully. Eventually, she noticed my...his...stares.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What?” she asked.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Make me my breakfast,” Goth-Kyle said.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Mom slammed her newspaper on the table. “You think you could be two hours late for curfew, not give a reason, and then expect me to cook you breakfast?” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]she yelled.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” Goth-Kyle said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I could see Mom's anger boiling. And I'd thought I'd gotten it from my Dad. Hmm. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]​

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So where were you last night?” she asked, getting up to light the stove, knowing that that's the only way Goth-Kyle would eat. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I was out.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“NO ****!” I yelled. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“NO ****!” Mom yelled. I guess more of her was in me than I thought. “Doing what?” she demanded. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I was out with Eddie and Sal,” Goth-Kyle said, rolling his eyes. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That doesn't answer what you were doing,” Mom snapped, though I could tell that she already knew. In my minds eye, I saw Goth-Kyle smoking pot, drinking, and engaging in various debaucherous acts that disgusted me. Still, the way he treated Mom was more disgusting than what he had done the previous night.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It gets worse,” Sage said grimly. “Let's go to school with him.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In a flash, we were in front of Riverside High, and we followed Goth-Kyle inside. He went to his locker, threw his entire backpack in there, and then walked into the cafeteria, passing Briana and Jackson, both who gave him looks of utter loathing. If they ever gave me that look, I don't know what I'd do.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You see what the loss of a father figure has done?” Sage asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It's kind of obvious,” I said, staring at Briana. She was talking to Jackson, and I could tell that, in this world, she liked him. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Liked [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]him liked him. Oh my. I haven't used that phrase since third grade. Either way, she looked as good as ever. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Focus, Kyle!” Sage said, his voice raising an octave. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sorry,” I said, removing my eyes off of Briana only reluctantly and following Sage into the cafeteria, where Goth-Kyle was sitting with a Goth counterpart to Leon (who looked exactly the same, save for eyeliner) and a Goth girl. She had ear length black hair, pale skin rivaling my own, and brown eyes. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh no,” I said. “I'm [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]dating [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]a Goth, too?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So it would seem,” Sage said, amused. “I must say, I thought you had better taste than that, what with Briana and Olivia being your loves.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]At the mention of Olivia, I'm surprised I didn't flinch. Sage was, too.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You don't react to the mention of Olivia, at least not noticeably,” Sage commented. “What's changed? A year ago a mention of her name would have caused broken plates...and bones.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That was then, this is now,” I said. “Listen, I loved Olivia. Still do, but I can't dwell on the past forever, you know? In my months of solitude, where I reflected on the Adventus reality, I moved on, and made peace with her.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I see,” Sage said, continuing to watch Goth-Kyle leave the cafeteria and pass Briana and Jackson again, eliciting another dirty look from the two. But this time, Goth-Kyle noticed. He said nothing to them, and kept walking away, but I saw a look of sadness in his eyes. My mouth dropped. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No way,” I gasped. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It appears that, even here, you still love Briana,” Sage said, glancing at me. “Yes, in this reality you met her in middle school, and both of you were in the same home economics class. This was during your transformation into the Goth. You were friendly and, just as in your world, you were attracted to her open personality, and her vivaciousness.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Okay, you need to stop watching me all the time,” I murmured. Sage chuckled. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So what are you trying to tell me here?” I asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Keep watching,” Sage said, and we floated behind Goth-Kyle. The bell for first period rang, and I was not at all surprised when Goth-Kyle left the building. In fact, I snickered to myself. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What's so funny?” Sage asked.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Nothing,” I said. “It's just that even here I'm predictable.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh,” Sage said, and I noted with a small degree of satisfaction that despite his God-like powers, he clearly did not understand. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We watched as Goth-Kyle walked past the school, ignoring the calls of the security guards. As he walked, he, and thus we, saw a freshman boy getting the piss beat out of him. Literally. Acting instinctively, I flew at his assailant, only to pass through him like a ghost.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You can't interfere with this world, Kyle,” Sage said, giving me a pitying look. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh yeah, I forgot,” I said, looking at the girl getting beat up and wincing. I [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]hated [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]being unable to do anything. I looked over at Goth-Kyle, who had a look of indecision on his face. Finally, he ran towards the attacker and jumped on his back, surprising me. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He pounded repeatedly, and the attacker shook, trying to throw Goth-Kyle off of him, to no avail. I found myself silently cheering him on. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I think we've seen enough,” Sage said.[/FONT][/FONT]​

“But we're just getting to the good part,” I objected as Goth-Kyle landed a solid punch on the aggressor.

My objections fell on deaf ears. “There are more places we must go, and we have very little time,” Sage said.

“Ugh, fine,” I said, and I felt the tingly sensation in my stomach again before leaving Goth-Kyle World behind.

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Four[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This time, as we flew through time and space, I actually had my “eyes” open, and what I saw is indescribable. Imagine every image of space you've ever seen, add a blue filter to it, and then speed it up so that it looks as if it's racing by you. That is what I saw. And it was beautiful.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Eventually, we appeared at another Earth, but this was unlike any Earth Id ever seen. It looked the same, sure, but it felt entirely different. Whereas the Earth where I came from had an aura of stability at least, chaos surrounded this planet. I looked at Sage, “What's this world?”[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage didn't look at me, but replied, “This is a world without hope.”[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What's that got to do with me?” I asked. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Come and see,” Sage said. He didn't sound too happy. Before I could ask why he looked as he did, I felt the tingle in my stomach, and before I knew it I was on Earth, in Xavier City. Only it wasn't the Xavier City I knew. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The once busy streets that once made it very difficult to run around were now entirely empty. Like, not a single human being was present. At all. I reached out with my Hyper-Awareness (as my powers were still intact), and saw that most people were inside their homes, sitting in what I could tell was fear. Others were in factories, working at the mercy of a whip. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A loud march of footsteps came from behind me. Sage and I turned to see a group of solidly-built men and women, all holding rifles in their hands. Their movements were crisp and precise. All wore the same uniform: a black jumpsuit, with a silver belt containing pouches. It looked like a familiar color scheme, but I couldn't place why.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Suddenly, I heard a roar from above, and a whole bunch of men and women of varying ages leaped from the buildings on what looked like bungee cords. They all held various guns, ranging from pistols to sniper rifles. Though they wore no uniform, and seemed rather disorganized, they all waited for the words from their apparent leader, who stood in between his men and the soldiers (for that's what the others had to be). He had spiked brown hair, a scar running from his ear down to his chin, brown eyes that looked incredibly angry, and a short beard. He looked familiar.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What do we do, Jason?” a voice called out. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My eyes widened. “Jason...as in, Jason Rider?” I asked Sage. He nodded in confirmation. My eyes, still wide, watched Jason as he contemplated his course of action. Now that I knew it was him, I could see a resemblance. I realized that I didn't know it was him because of the lack of the arrogant smirk on his face, and the pure anger in his eyes that betrayed no sense of a large ego. Just anger. The beard, too, but that's really a minor thing.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“We attack!” he finally yelled, and with a roar all of them charged, shooting their guns. In response, the soldiers pulled out their rifles and as one fired at the rampaging group. Because the group was a mess, bullets missed more than hit, but still, bodies fell. By contrast, more bullets that were aimed at the soldiers struck [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]flesh, and they fell as well.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What's going on?” I asked Sage. “Why is Jason, possibly the most arrogant person I've ever met who's not evil, leading a group of what looks like rebels against soldiers?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Wait for it,” Sage said. Huffing, I turned back and watched the battle between the two opposing factions. Somehow, Jason had become an awesome fighter, killing a few soldiers with his bare hands when his gun had run out of ammo. Eventually, though, most of Jason's group were dead or incapacitated, him included. This wasn't due to a lack of skill, but a lack of numbers. The soldiers clearly outnumbered their enemies three to one. As Jason lay groaning on the ground, one of the soldiers, a blonde man separated himself from the group of soldiers, and I saw on his chest a silver black Superman 'S' on a silver field, the opposite of the 'S' I myself wore on my chest. I looked down at my chest, to Sage in terror. Sage's face was blank. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The Master has become irritated by your recent actions, Rider,” the blonde said.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I would imagine so,” Jason spat. “You can tell Kyle he can go **** himself.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Or you could tell me face-to-face,” a voice from above said. Everyone looked up, and a dark figure descended from the sky. He wore a full black bodysuit and silver belt, much like the soldiers, only his belt had the Superman 'S' on it. The 'S' was black, as was the raised symbol on his chest, which lay on a silver field. He also wore elbow length leather gloves with silver studs on each knuckle. To complete the image, the man wore a long, flowing black cape, kept around his neck by an ornate clasp. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The dark figures eyes were a gray-blue, his face clean-shaven, and his hair short and red. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He was me. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh, no,” I said, putting my hand over my mouth.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hey there, Jason,” Dark Spartan said. “It's been a while.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” Jason sneered. “Too long.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh come now,” Dark Spartan said, appearing next to him. He moved so fast that I couldn't see him. “Is that any way to treat an old friend?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Last time I checked, even when we were friends, I treated you like ****,” Jason said, looking directly into Dark Spartan's eyes. “Sorry about that,” he added insincerely. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Apology accepted,” Dark Spartan said, equally insincere. “You know, it's been a real pain in the ass to find you. Your usage of sonic waves to mask your presence is, I admit, a stroke of genius.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Thanks for telling me your weakness sixteen years ago, buddy,” Jason said. “It helped.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know it did,” Dark Spartan said quietly. Then, without warning, a blast of heat vision came from his eyes, striking Jason in the chest. Jason screamed as the concussive heat blast struck him squarely in the chest. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sadly,” Dark Spartan continued, “your sonics did not prevent your death.” Dark Spartan leaned over Jason's body. “It's funny,” he laughed. “You were the one I dreamed most of using my powers against when we were young, yet you were the last one I killed.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Very funny,” Jason coughed. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I know it is,” Dark Spartan said. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So, you gonna do with me what you did to Leon and Jackson? Rape me in every hole possible?” Jason asked, and I noticed the old humor in his voice. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan's eyes widened. “Is that what they say I do?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No you idiot!” Jason snapped. “I was making fun of you. Like the old days.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Ah,” Dark Spartan said. He smiled coldly. “I have missed your humor, old friend.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I've missed you, too,” Jason said, and I heard warm sincerity in his voice that took me aback. “Well, not this you, but the you that let me use him as a verbal punching bag.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I heard Jason's heartbeat slowing. He was dying. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And I had dealt the killing blow.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You know...Kyle...,” Jason wheezed, his breathing slowing down. “Briana...would be so...proud of you...taking over the world...enforcing your will...all for her...”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Unexpectedly, Dark Spartan grabbed Jason's throat. “You don't say her name. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]No one [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]says her name!”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I think I just did...Nazi Bastard...” Jason wheezed. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And then, with one final, “**** you,” he died.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan looked at his body with disgust, then threw it to the ground. “Throw him in the pit, with the rest of my old friends,” he said to the blonde soldier.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My lord,” he nodded, bowing.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan flew, and Sage and I followed him. If I were in my physical body, I wouldn't have been able to keep up, but thanks to Sage, we flew at equal speeds. My mind was racing with thoughts, all wondering what had happened to cause me to turn into the evil bastard that killed all of my friends. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We flew into his castle, a dark ominous building that you would fine in a classic horror serial, including the bats. All that was missing was the lightning. We watched as he entered his chambers, a large room. We followed as he walked past his bed, which was filled with various women of various ethnicities and sizes. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]All of them had one thing in common though: they all lacked dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. This was odd, I couldn't help thinking. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Master, come here,” one of the girls cooed. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan ignored her, and continued towards his bookcase. He took a book off of it, which made the bookshelf open and lead into a hidden area. Pretty cliché, but something I would do if I had my own lair. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage and I followed him inside this hidden room, which turned out to be lit only by candles. The room was sparse, filled only by the candles and a large portrait of Briana in the back of the room, under which was a table of some sort.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan briskly walked over to it and took out the earrings I had given her for her sixteenth birthday. He lightly traced them with his finger, and then fell to his knees, crying.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I couldn't save you...,” he kept sobbing. “I couldn't...save...you...[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I watched my dark counterpart with awe, and a sudden sense of pity. I knew why he did what he did. And I understood. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I opened my mouth to talk to Sage, but instead he said, “We'll talk back in my realm.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I nodded, and even as we faded away I kept staring at the sobbing man in the dimly lit room. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Five[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Back in Sage's paradise, I asked the one question that had been at the forefront of my mind since I saw Dark Spartan. “Why did I turn evil?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sage again summoned chairs, and motioned for me to sit. I complied, but sat at the edge of the seat, tapping my fingers impatiently. Sage sat in his seat and took a large breath. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The world we went to wasn't exactly another Earth. Rather, it was a possible future, one that will come to pass if you do not learn the lesson I am trying to teach you. Your life went exactly as it has up until you left to go soul-searching. You were gone for a little less than a year, going to various masters all over the world to learn to control your anger. Then, you sensed that Briana was in danger, so you flew back home to save her. But you were too late. Since you had once lost her, and also lost Olivia, you snapped and over the next year systemically took over the world. The united nation's of the world were not a match for you, as your rage unlocked your full potential. You destroyed their armies, and this Earth came under your rule. Your friends Leon, Jackson, and Jason, as well as your father and Raphael Mendoza, headed the resistance against you, as they knew you best. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“In one of the early battles, Mendoza was killed, and Jackson was severely wounded, succumbing to his injuries three days after the battle. In a later battle, your father infiltrated your stronghold as an ally, only to attempt to kill you with a sonic grenade as you slept. Your Battle Sense alerted you to this, however, and before he could activate the grenade you crushed your father's windpipe with a single squeeze. In retaliation for his death, Leon led an assault against you, which led in one of your soldiers killing him. The soldier was, in turn, killed by you, because you believed if anyone should die, it's him. You created “the pit”, which was a cemetery for your fallen friends. You buried Leon there, and then retrieved Leon's coffin to bury it there as well. Years later, well, you saw the battle Jason led against you.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My mouth hung open. “I can't believe I'd do anything like that,” I said, my heart pounding. “But I fail to see why Dark Spartan is important to show me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Because he is a part of you!” Sage exclaimed. “As is Goth Kyle. These alternate realities are a representation of the hidden parts of your soul. And until you accept them, you can never know peace, and Dark Spartan is a certainty.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“He isn't!” I yelled. “I won't become him, because he's not me! Neither is Goth Kyle!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You still don't get it,” Sage hissed, his aura turning red. “Very well, then it seems that more...direct...actions will have to be taken.” He raised his hand, which began to glow blue.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What are you doing?” I asked fearfully. Though I knew my powers were great, I also knew I would not be able to stand against this being. He was much too powerful for me to handle. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Taking more direct action,” Sage replied coolly, and a beam of blue-white light struck me. As before, I felt a tingle, but this time it was in my head. The tingle soon transformed into a headache of massive proportions, and it soon became too much that I blacked out.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * *[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When I regained consciousness, I found myself in a purely white, luminous area. It looked as if I was walking on nothing, but my feet were definitely planted on something solid. I looked around.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Where did you send me to, you omniscient son of a *****?” I muttered, looking around. Much like Sage's realm, this place seemed to go on forever. Unlike Sage's realm, the only thing visible was whiteness. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I tried to fly, but found I couldn't. I tried shooting a web, but I couldn't do that, either. In fact, after testing them, I found that all of my abilities weren't working. I looked at my body, and discovered that I wasn't wearing my costume as well. I was wearing my school uniform. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What the **** did he do to me?” I asked aloud.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Made it easier for me to destroy you,” a deep, raspy voice said. I looked up and saw Dark Spartan striding towards me casually. “Hello, Kyle,” he said, reminding me of how he'd spoken to Jason. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hey, Kyle,” I said, in a tone that reminded myself of Jason in the alternate Earth. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I prefer to be called Spartan,” Dark Spartan said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I think “*******” suits you better, but that's just me,” I said, raising my hands. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dark Spartan laughed, a deep, loud, rich chuckle. I looked at him in disgust, secretly wondering if I would laugh like that when I got older.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Ah, juvenile humor,” he said, miming wiping a tear away. “I miss it so.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I imagine so,” I said. “So, why are you here?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“To kill you,” [/FONT]Dark Spartan said shortly. “And you're here to let me kill you. Quite simple, really.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Do you really think I'm gonna let that happen?” I asked, folding my arms. “If so, you're clearly out of touch with your inner child.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That may be.” Dark Spartan inclined his head. “Or perhaps it's just simple logic: I have our entire powers at their fullest strength at my disposal. You, on the other hand, are just a mere mortal.” He spat that last word. Mortal. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You act like that's a bad thing, when, last time I checked, all of our friends were...are...mortal,” I countered.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My other's face darkened. “And that is why they are dead.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No,” I said, shaking my head. “They're dead because instead of protecting them, you killed them.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It was there I had an epiphany. Briana, Leon, Sage, they were all right. Kyle Wyatt and Spartan were the same person. They had to be, because without Kyle Wyatt, I would be like my dark counterpart. Without Spartan, I'd be an angry Goth kid. Neither of which appealed to me. Sage was also right about Dark Spartan being a part of me: he was all the anger I ever felt personified, without Kyle Wyatt's inherent compassion to stay its hand. I accepted it, and in essence welcomed it. I smiled. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“ENOUGH!” Dark Spartan roared, flying at me, fist raised. With a new resolve, I ducked under his fist, only to be pushed back by his knee. I lay on the ground, coughing up blood (again, much like Future Jason). I tried to get up, but Dark Spartan stepped on my throat, keeping me pinned down on the ground. I looked at him, and saw his eyes glowing a fierce red.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Good-bye, human,” Dark Spartan snarled. And then a blast of fire engulfed me.[/FONT]​

Chapter Six

When I awoke, I found myself back in my room, laying on my bed. The weird thing was, I was being looked at by Briana, Olivia, and my mother.

“You okay?” Mom asked me.

“Yeah,” I said, sitting up. “The real question is, are you okay? I mean, you're kinda dead.” I turned to Olivia. “You, too”

Olivia folded her arms. “Nice to see you treat my death so casually.” But she smirked, and I could tell she knew why I did.

“What, I'm not important enough to be mentioned in this little 'Dead Club'?” Briana asked, glaring at me. “I was dead once too, remember?”

“Yeah, yeah,” I said, yawning. “Um...what is this place?”

“The crossroads,” Mom said.

“Oh yeah, because that explains everything,” I said, rolling my eyes. I turned to Briana and Olivia. “In English, please and thank you.”

Briana and Olivia looked at each other. “You tell him,” Briana said. “He clearly appreciates your dead-ness more than mine.”

“Fine,” Olivia said, before turning to me. “The battle that just happened led to your death, but before you died, you made a realization that was the whole point of it. That gives you a choice: you can stay in Paradise with Sage and become like a God, or you can return to the plane where you fought Dark Spartan, and fight him, this time defeating him.”

I nodded, understanding. “Why couldn't you have said that?” I asked Mom, who shrugged.

“I'm a mother, I'm allowed to be cryptic sometimes,” she said.

“Well,” I said, flexing. “Being a God does sound good...but I'm not ready for that yet. Besides,” I added, turning to Briana. “Why would I leave a girl like her behind?”

Briana blushed and smiled. “You do know that I'm not the real Briana, right? That this is all in your head?”

I nodded. “I know. Doesn't make it any less true.”

All the women in my life who I'd ever loved smiled at this, and in a flash I was back in the white plane, Dark Spartan's foot still on my throat, smoke rising from my body. I snapped open my eyes.

“What!?” he screamed. Effortlessly, I threw him off of me. He landed safely, but was startled by what I'd done.

Standing up, I looked at my school uniform. It was, as I'd said, smoking, with various rips and tatters as a result of the burning. Sighing, I ripped open my shirt, revealing the 'S' behind it. My body glowed, and my costume was restored to me, mask and all.

Dark Spartan's eyes widened. “This isn't possible.”

I ran up to him. “Oh really?” With a punch, I sent him flying, only to web him back to me. He landed on the “ground” with a loud, hard THUD. I grabbed him by the shoulders and lifted him up to face me. He stared at me, surprised. “What are you doing?”

“Having a little heart to heart with myself,” I said, grabbing Dark Spartan tightly. I saw Dark Spartan become black-purple light, and be absorbed into me. I had embraced my dark side. And I was all the better for it.

YOU'VE DONE WELL, KYLE. OR IS IT SPARTAN?

Sage's voice once more boomed inside my head. “It's both!” I called out. “Now you mind bringing me back to your realm? I don't want to have to yell this whole time, otherwise my throat will get sore!”

In a flash, I was back in the Paradise realm. “Well,” I coughed. “Thanks.”

“You're welcome,” Sage said, smiling warmly.

“What did you do, anyway?” I inquired. “I mean, I'm grateful to you for doing it, but I want to know exactly where I was sent. If you don't mind.”

Sage held up a hand. “Not at all. Technically, you never really left. The battle that you fought was raged inside your own mind. I just used my powers to give the darker side of your personality shape, in the form of Dark Spartan. I made it so that your dominant personality didn't have any abilities, so that you'd realize what you had to do. You may also wonder why I showed you Goth Kyle. I revealed him to you to show that there was a hero in you, no matter what happened. Even Dark Spartan thought he was being a hero. You realized this, and thus passed my test. With flying colors, might I add.”

I smiled. “Thanks. Am I...erm...done now?”

“I would think so,” Sage said. “There is nothing more that you can learn from me.”

I nodded, and was about to ask him to send my home when my Battle Sense rang, and I knew that my friends were in trouble. I guessed that that was part of my enhanced abilities that came with accepting all aspects of my personality.

I looked up at Sage. “Something's wrong. My friends are in danger.”

Sage nodded and waved a hand. Instantly, a bubble appeared, in which I could see Leon, Jason, Jackson, and my father surrounded by what I could only guess was a gang. They were all bloody.

“****!” I bellowed. “Get me down there, now!”

“Of course,” Sage replied. His eyes began to glow blue, and I felt the familiar tingly sensation yet again. “But before you go, I give you a gift: the gift of combat. You now have the knowledge of a rare fighting style, one that can end fights quickly, but can also help defend you in drawn out engagements. It's a gift, that will help you in the coming months. Be careful in that time, Kyle. A storm's coming, and it will test you in ways I could not.”

Before I could ask what that meant, I disappeared.

With a flash of lightning, I found myself on a rooftop overlooking my friends and father. Eyes glowing red, I put my mask on, attached a web to an adjacent building, and swung down to save the people I cared for. Because, hey, that's what heroes do, after all.

And that's what I, Spartan, did.

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Bold, sans-serif]Book V[/FONT]

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Bold, sans-serif]Endgame[/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter One[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My name is Jackson Crichton, one of the best friends of Kyle Wyatt, aka Spartan, who hasn't been seen in the past six months, despite promising that he'd be back within a single month. After the first month, his father, Dr. Thomas Wyatt, urged us to be patient, assuring us that Kyle would return soon. But as the weeks dragged on, Dr. Wyatt became increasingly withdrawn and depressed, worried for his son. I could understand why. When Kyle's mother had died, Dr. Wyatt had acted much as he did now, because he felt he couldn't relate to anyone or love anyone else, even his own son. It took Kyle to bring him out of his shell, and with Kyle gone, well, he's been reverting back to the eccentric scientist. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As for Leon Allain, Jason Rider, and I, Kyle's best friends, we've been surviving. It was weird not hanging out with Kyle who, despite his superhuman powers, was still awkwardly funny. It was really Briana Walker who was suffering. Briana is...well, I don't know what Briana is at this point. Kyle loves her, and she loves him, but I don't think they ever made it official. She was the last person to see him before he left, and she had possibly taken his non-return worse than his own father did. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I honestly wanted to be angry at Kyle, but I found I couldn't. I think it's because over a year ago, he saved me from a psychopathic girlfriend with mind-control abilities, who was using me to try to cause him to go insane. I was rescued from the brink of death by him, and that experience changed me, because I saw firsthand what he had to fight daily. So now Kyle Wyatt/Spartan is my example to live by. Something weird to come out of a seventeen year-old's mouth, I know, but who said wisdom came with age?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * *[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When November came around, Leon came up with the idea to go out and celebrate Kyle's birthday, even though he wasn't with us. Jason, the eternal cynic, didn't see the point, so I had to point out to him that there would be food. That got his attention, and he agreed to come. Leon tried to persuade Briana to come, but she had a previous engagement. Leon said her voice was hard when she spoke with him, so I took that as meaning she was still angry at Kyle and didn't want to be involved with anything involving him. She did have a fiery temper, God bless her.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dr. Wyatt took some convincing, but after Jason brought up the “It's what Kyle would have wanted” card, he agreed to drive us to Kyle's favorite restaurant, and even pay for our meals. We all were grateful, none more than Jason, who licked his mouth in anticipation. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The meal we had there was silent, save for a few awkward jokes by Leon after farting. I glared at him whenever he did. Ever since his girlfriend Alyssa had dumped him for some psycho woman reason, he'd been a little...off. But whatever. Dr. Wyatt seemed to pay no mind, and was staring intently at his steak, stabbing it with his fork so forcefully that I thought he might break the damn plate.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When the most awkward dinner of my life was over, the four of us went outside and began to walk towards Dr. Wyatt's van, which he'd purchased after his old car had been destroyed after the Adventus Organization's mansion exploded. It was completely dark now, with no moon in sight. It was cold enough that Leon had to zip up his jacket. I followed his lead. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Just as Dr. Wyatt was about to open the door to the driver's seat, Jason said loudly, “Do you [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]smell [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]that?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I sniffed the air, and a smell that seemed like a fusion of cigarettes and fish entered my nostrils. “What is that?” I gagged. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Something wrong with the way we smell?” a Spanish voice said from behind us. I turned to see a gang of young men, maybe in their early twenties, swarming around us. They seemed to be unarmed, but they were all wearing jackets and hoodies, making weapons concealment a very real possibility. I counted eight of them. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh that's[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] you?[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]” Jason asked, fear creeping into his voice. I stole a sideways glance at Leon, who looked as nervous as Jason sounded. I asked myself what Kyle would do, and a voice in the back of my head told me to make an insulting quip. I thought it over, looked our assailants down, and decided against it. Being a witty ******* worked when you're invincible, not any other time. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So Pops,” a gang member said cockily to Dr. Wyatt, “How about handing over the car keys?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The gang member jaunted over to Dr. Wyatt and held his hand out expectantly. In response, Dr. Wyatt headbutted him, a look of rage on his face. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The three of us (being me, Jason, and Leon) stared at Dr. Wyatt, open mouthed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Holy ****balls,” Leon said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There were no other appropriate words. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]With Dr. Wyatt's attack on the gang member, the other members started attacking us, clawing at us with supernaturally long and sharp nails. I realized with growing fear that these were...[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Metahumans!” I hissed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I noticed!” Leon said, as he ducked a slash at his face. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Get away from them!” Dr. Wyatt yelled, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him ferociously attacking any metahumans in his path. With a yell, I ran out of the way, soon joined by Jason, Leon, and Dr. Wyatt. I looked at them, and saw they were all bloody and scratched. From the way they looked at me, I could tell I looked the same. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The gang had only lost two of its number, leaving six remaining, and all eager for blood. I got into a ready stance, and despite never having taken any form of Martial Arts class, I prepared to fight back. Leon and Jason looked at me in disbelief, and then nodded, adopting stances similar to my own. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As the gang began to charge at his, a loud clap of thunder boomed, and lightning flashed across the sky. In spite of the situation we were in, everyone stopped to look at it, and my eyes bulged when I saw a figure outlined by the lightning. It watched us for a moment before shooting a rope from its wrist and swinging to the ground, where it quickly and efficiently took care of the gang members. Before I could even register what had happened, they were all lying on the ground, unconscious, surrounding the figure.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After making sure that they were all unconscious, the figure turned to us, and we saw that Kyle had finally come home; Spartan was standing directly in front of us.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Kyle?” Dr. Wyatt asked disbelievingly. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As if to reassure the doctor, Spartan removed his mask, revealing the grinning face of Kyle Wyatt. “I'm back!” he exclaimed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]All of us stared at him in shock. When no one would say anything, Kyle's grin faltered and he asked, “So what are you guys doing out...with my Dad? Dad, are you kidnapping my friends for some sick experiment?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]His tone was light, friendly, jovial. The complete opposite of what I expected it to be when he returned from a six-month sojourn.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“We're celebrating your birthday,” I explained. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My birthday?” Kyle asked, cocking his head to the side. “How is it my birthday? I left only a day ago, more or less.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You've been gone six months, asswipe,” Jason retorted. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I saw Kyle mouth “Six months?”, a confused look on his face. But soon that look gave way to comprehension. “Oh. Yeah, about that...I guess where I was, time works differently. A lot differently, if six months have passed.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Where were you?” Dr. Wyatt asked softly, his eyes sad, but his voice relieved. “You didn't call, or e-mail, or anything.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Kyle out his mask back on. “Meet me back at the house, I'll explain everything there. I promise.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]With that, Spartan flew into the night sky, faster than I'd ever seen. I turned to Dr. Wyatt, and said, “Come on, we have to hurry. Who knows if he'll still be there if we don't?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Two[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My name is Kyle Wyatt, and I was home. Though I thought I had only been in Sage's dimension for a short while, apparently I was gone from the Earthly plane for six months. Had I known that I'd be gone that long, I would have had Sage send my father and friends a postcard. Of course, what would a postcard say: “Greetings from Sage's Paradise Realm?” I don't think that'd make too much money. Oh crap I'm ranting again. Sorry about that.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I flew in through my window and landed beside my bed, noticing that everything was exactly as I'd left it when I had departed. Smiling slightly at being home, I pressed a button on my watch and changed into my civilian clothes: short-sleeved gray shirt, blue denim shorts. It felt liberating to not wonder who I was anymore, to be certain for the first time in a long time of...well, anything. With a content sigh, I plopped down on my bed, emptied my mind, and waited for my friends and father to arrive.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]They came fifteen minutes later. I heard the click of the unlocking door, and the rush of footsteps coming up the stairs. Before they could even knock on the door, I said, “Come on in, guys.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My door opened, and in a rush the four came into my room, panting slightly. I opened one eye lazily, and saw their bloody faces just as I'd seen them in Sage's realm. I wanted to ask how the gang could have given it to them, but they had their own questions, and I thought it was fair to answer them before I asked my own.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The three looked expectantly at Dr. Wyatt, who asked in a quiet voice, “Where have you been, Kyle?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I took a deep breath, knowing that this would be a long story. “Well...when I left Briana's last summer, I was flying away when I saw Fireboy (you know, the guy Adventus used to affect me with the hallucinogen?). I defeated him, and as I prepared to leave, he threatened you guys. Since I was an incredibly angry superhero at the time, I attacked him again, ready to kill him. Sarge came and stopped me, and as I cooled down a voice summoned me. This turned out to be Sage, a being who could alter reality to his every whim. He brought me to his world to teach me to control my anger, and embrace it as part of who I am. After a series of visits to alternate realities, I learned that lesson, and, after a mental battle with my dark side, I gained access to my powers at their highest levels. I sensed you were in danger, so I had Sage send me to help you and...well, there's the story. Any questions?”[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]​

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]All four held their mouths agape. “Um...what?” Jackson asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I reiterated what I said, this time in more detail, describing the worlds Sage brought me to, as well as my mental battle. When I was done, the four pretty much understood what I had done. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Time must work differently in Sage's realm,” Dad muttered. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That's what I thought,” I said. I looked at my friends, so glad to see none of them Goth or dead. “So how are you guys doing? How's Alyssa, Leon?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Leon's face went stone blank, and Jason chuckled. I looked at him inquiringly. “She dumped him,” he explained, still laughing.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh,” I said, frowning. “Sorry, dude. Why?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Leon shrugged. “Something about me being too clingy. Don't see how that works.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I couldn't either, but after seeing Jackson nod slightly, I believed it. “Well, there are other fish in the sea.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But how many hot ones?” Leon asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I smacked my head with my hand, surprised at the shallowness. “Just look hard.” Eager to get off the subject of Leon's love life, I asked, “So...you said you were out celebrating my birthday?” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]They nodded, and I was touched, though I had a sinking suspicion Jason was in it for the food. “Thanks, guys.” Now I had a new question. “Why wasn't Briana with you?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Leon looked at Jason, who looked at Jackson, who gulped. I could hear his pulse racing, and I knew his news wasn't good. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“She's kinda...pissed at you,” Jackson said. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I nodded. As soon as I'd heard I was gone for six months, I knew that she'd be pissed at me. I told her to call me if she needed me, thinking I was gonna stay on Earth. “God dammit Sage,” I murmured. “Look what you've gotten me into...” I shook my head, clearing it. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Now, this is the biggest question of all,” I began. “What the hell was I fighting back there? I mean, I took care of them with incredible ease, but they scratched at me harder than a normal human.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad looked at me. “They're metahumans, Kyle.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You mean like from DC comic books?” I asked, looking at Jackson, who nodded. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I gave them that name because of the similarity,” Jackson said, a small trace of pride seeping into his voice. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“How'd they get their powers?” I asked. “A serum?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No,” Dad said briskly, and I could tell he was...not mad at me, but there was some negative emotion directed towards me, and I couldn't identify. “When you battled the Super Adventi last year, they exploded as a result of their bodies being unable to cope with the power, do you remember?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I nodded. “How could I forget that?” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Right,” Dad continued. “Well, when they exploded, they released a wave across the whole city. This wave affected about twelve percent of the population, giving them superpowers. There's no way to tell what power one would get: it seems to be completely random.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I rubbed my temple. “Great...,” I moaned. “More work for me.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jackson patted my shoulder. “Would you have it any other way?”[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]​

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I smirked. “Not at all.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * * [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif].[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After my friends left, it was just me and Dad alone in my room. I know that sounds really, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]really[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] wrong, but it was the truth. I sat on my bed, locking eyes with him. “You ever gonna say what's on your mind, Dad?” I asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad sighed and walked over to my bed, sitting down at the edge of it. “Sorry, Kyle, it's...I mean...I was really worried about you. I know that you can handle yourself, and that you're invincible, but I'm still your father, and I still care for your safety. I know that you couldn't have called or texted or whatever, and that you didn't realize what you were getting into, but that doesn't change the fact that I was scared for you.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I put my hand on Dad's shoulder. “Hey, you don't need to worry about me. I told you I'd be back, and I'm back. I'm seventeen now. A man. Hell, one could argue I've been a man since I became Spartan. I know it sounds egotistical of me, but it's the truth.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad smiled. “You're right, but I guess the father thing will never fade away. Someday you'll learn that.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hopefully not too soon,” I said darkly. “I don't want my kids growing up in a world where I'm not the only metahuman.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So you're going to go after them?” Dad asked. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Not actively,” I replied. “But if they attack, Spartan will be there to stop them.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Captain Mendoza will be happy to hear that,” Dad said.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I double-taked. “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Captain [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Mendoza?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh yeah, you wouldn't know,” Dad said. “Since many officers have been killed in the line of duty, Raphael's been promoted. I've got to say, he'll be almost as happy as I am that you're back. The metahumans have been a pain in the ass as of late.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I nodded. “I'll go see him tomorrow. Assuming you're not sending me to school.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Take the day off,” Dad said. “You look pretty tired.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I suddenly felt it. I don't know if it was the strain of being teleported around or what, but my body suddenly felt exhausted. “Yeah, I guess I'll get some sleep.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“All right,” Dad said, getting off the bed. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Dad, wait!” I stopped him.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What is it?” he asked.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I took of my watch and clothes, revealing my perfectly muscled body. “I need you to change my costume, make the 'S' on my chest and the spider on my back red.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Can I ask why?” Dad asked, accepting the watch and clothes.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The old Spartan costume represented the old me,” I explained. “The new one will show the new me.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad nodded. “Makes sense. Good night, son. Welcome home.” [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Thanks, Dad.” He smiled warmly at me and went to leave. “And Dad?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He turned to face me. “Yeah?”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I love you.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I love you, too, son,” he replied, and I could see his happiness. “Sleep well.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As soon as he left my room, my head hit the pillow, and I fell asleep[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Three[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For the first time in a long while, I had a good, full nights sleep, and my god did I feel great. I sat up, yawned, stretched, and checked the clock. It said that it was 1:30. I had slept for about thirteen hours. Guess I was mored tired than I originally thought.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I showered and put on some old clothes that were a little small on me. Since I'd had the prototype suit I'd stolen from MilleniCorp., I hadn't needed to shop for any other clothes. In hindsight, that probably wasn't the smartest thing, but what're you gonna do, right?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After eating some lunch, I decided I should visit Sarge...sorry...Captain Mendoza. I needed a new nickname for him, I thought. Since my costume was being worked on by Dad, I decided against flying or web swinging to the Xavier City Police Department, instead opting to run there. Making sure the door was locked, I ran so fast that it seemed that everything else was moving an inch an hour, as opposed to the slow motion that it used to seem like when I ran. My full powers were amazing, and I couldn't help but wonder if Sage's influence in the manifestation of my abilities had anything to do with their full strength.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Within a minute, I was standing in front of XCPD headquarters. Cracking my neck, I casually walked in and approached the clerk. “Good afternoon. Is Captain Mendoza in?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The clerk, a middle aged woman who looked really haggard, stared at me. “I'm sorry, young man, but the captain is too busy to deal with the likes of petty teenager disputes.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Angered at her assumption, I nonetheless kept my voice calm. “Tell him Kyle Wyatt is here to see him.” I paused, and then batted my eyelashes. “Please.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The clerk rolled her eyes, but did as I asked. As she did so, I looked around the building, which was busy as hell. I caught site of a map that showed activity of metahumans. There were quite a lot of them. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The Captain said he'd see you, Mr. Wyatt,” The clerk said, frowning at me, do doubt wondering why I'm so important. Winking at her, I walked into his office, where I found him sitting behind his desk (which was covered in paperwork), looking only slightly surprised. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Look who's back,” he said, smiling and motioning to the chair in front of him. I took it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I see you've been promoted, Cap,” I said, leaning back and giving him his new nickname. “I gotta say, going from Sergeant to Captain in just a few months is a big step.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't I know it,” Cap sighed, his smile fading. “I wasn't prepared for the work load, which was doubled when the metahumans started to appear.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sorry I couldn't be here when they struck,” I said. “But you saw that I was teleported away.” Cap nodded. “Speaking of which, why didn't you tell my father that? He was worried.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I apologize for that, really,” my bald cop friend said. “But with all this work, I never got the chance to talk to him.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You're forgiven,” I said, smirking. “You'll be happy to know that I'm back, and I'll help fight the metahumans any way I can.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cap smirked. “Figured you would. You never were one to back down from a [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]good fight.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” I agreed. “I just hope no metahumans attack before Dad finishes the new costume.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I hope no more metahumans attack at all,” Cap said wistfully. “I just wonder why everyone who becomes a metahuman inevitably uses them for evil.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Maybe the sudden burst of power overloads their brain, and makes it harder to distinguish right from wrong.” Again, I wondered if Sage had done something to make it so that I kept my sanity after I got my powers. If he did, I owed him. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Could be,” Cap said. “Who knows, though? Any time we capture one, they escape before we can get them psychoanalyzed.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hmm,” I said. “Then perhaps Spartan's more needed than I thought.” I stood up. “I'll get back to you. You still have the hypersonic transmitter to contact me if you need me, right?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cap reached into his desk and took out the watch sized device. He grinned at me, and I grinned back. I got up and went to leave, knowing that things between me and Cap were good.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Kyle?” he called from behind me. “I won't ask for details, but...did you do what you needed to do, the reason you left?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I paused at the door. “Yeah. And that's why when Spartan returns, he'll be better than ever.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After I left the XCPD, I ran to Riverside High School, where I sat, waiting for the bell to ring. Then a thought hit me: how the hell would I explain my absence from class for the past three months? More nervous than I was in a battle, I took out my cell phone and called Dad, who sounded busy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah, Kyle?” he asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Um Dad? Quick question: What exactly did you tell the school to get me out of class for the past few months?” I asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For a minute, there was no answer. Then, “Kyle, what kind of father do you think I am. I lied to them, of course, with some help from Mendoza. He called in a favor from his friend at the FBI, and as far as the school is concerned, you're in witness protection because of the incident at the Adventus mansion last year.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Now I paused. “Dad...you're awesome,” I said in gratitude as the school bell rang. I hung up and went to stand in the shadow of a nearby tree, hiding from my peers, who still might be afraid of me because of what I had done last year under the influence of the gas that amplified all my negative emotions. So yeah, I was a little afraid that someone who still held a grudge would call out my name and I'd have to run away to dodge an angry mob of high schoolers. But who would do such a thing? [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Keith Ottman, perhaps, whose ass I'd whooped, or possibly Sara Shinlye, a mentally unstable girl whose been in love with Jason since she saw him. I wouldn't put it past either of them. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As I melted in with the shadows, I reached out with my hyper-awareness, searching for Briana. She never came out, but Jason did. I'm guessing Leon and Jackson had last period off, so I was stuck asking Jason where Briana was. Entering speed mode, I casually slipped in between the exiting high schoolers and stepped next time him. For a few minutes, I walked beside him unnoticed, then said, “Beautiful day, isn't it?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason jumped, and I laughed. “How long have you been here?” he demanded, his face red. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Maybe three minutes,” I said, still giggling. Then I got serious. “You wouldn't happen to know where Briana is, would you?” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason's expression changed ever so slightly; the corner of his mouth twitched. “Badminton practice.” [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My eyebrows shot up. “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Badminton [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]practice? Since when does Briana play badminton?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason shrugged. “Apparently, one of her girlfriends got her into it. Earlier in the year, she tried out and made the team.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I blinked, and Jason mistook that for a look of sadness. “Come on, *****e, did you really think she'd be sitting in her room for the past six months, crying over a picture of you?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No,” I growled. “I'm just surprised. While she's not as lazy as you, she never seemed to be the school team type.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason rolled his eyes. “Come on, I'll show you.” Under his breath, he muttered, “Idiot...”, which, thanks to my hearing, I heard perfectly.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I heard that,” I said.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Good,” he replied. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He walked me to the gym entrance, where I stood. There, playing on the net farthest from me, was Briana. Even though she was red, sweating, blonde hair up in a ponytail, she looked as great as she did when I'd left her. And alive, too, for which I was incredibly glad. The expression on her face was one of pure determination, and she hit the birdy with her racket with great force. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Why do I have a feeling she's imaging [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I'm [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the birdy?” I moaned. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh she totally is,” Jason said, clearly relishing my fear. At that moment, I decided that that night I was going to visit her and set things right. [/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Four[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I contacted Jackson and Leon and told them to meet me at my house, where I brought Jason. It took a half-hour for the whole gang to arrive, but when it did, it was time for business. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I need your help,” I announced. “How am I supposed to deal with Briana tonight?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jackson, Leon, and Jason blinked. “You brought us here...for this?” Leon asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Are you that surprised?” Jason asked. “He's been coming to us for advice over Briana ever since Valentine's Day of tenth grade.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh yeah,” Leon said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Who cares if I've asked for your help before?” I asked. “You're my friends, and I'd do the same for you.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You would...,” Leon began.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“...But when's the last time[/FONT] you did anything for us?” Jason finished. Somehow, I don't think that's what Leon was getting at.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I tapped my finger to my chin in mock thought. “Let's see: I routinely stop crime in Xavier City and Riverside, making them safer for you to travel in. That ring a bell?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason flushed, and I knew he couldn't respond. Despite being the arrogant ass that he was, he recognized worthy acts when he saw them. “You win,” he said defeated. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Before I could proudly retort that I did indeed win, Jackson interjected. “What I think you should do, Kyle, is fly or crawl or swing or whatever to her balcony, open the door to her room, grab her by the shoulders, and kiss her passionately.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We all stared at Jackson in surprise. “When did you become such a romantic?” Leon asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I've...ah...seen a few of the teen romance comedies my sister watches,” Jackson admitted. We laughed. Not even his perfect hair would get him out of being mocked for this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But in his words, there were hints of truth, and I knew what to do.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]That night, after ensuring she was in her room courtesy of my hyper-awareness, I leaped onto a sturdy tree branch and silently leaped from there onto her balcony. I looked in and saw her at the edge of her bed, doing homework, facing opposite me. With a deep breath, I took out my cell phone and called her number. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I watched as she took out her phone, and saw the look of surprise on her face. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She answered. “Kyle?[/FONT]”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]With a gulp, I said, “Look outside.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hesitantly, she turned around, and the look of surprise morphed into one of indifference. That startled me. “Wait right there,” she said, snapping her phone shut. Her voice was cold. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She got off the bed, put slippers on, and opened the door. She walked to me and stopped only a few inches short of me. It seemed that she'd grown in the past six months. Or maybe it was the look in her eyes that made me feel so damn small, smaller than her, even.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My Battle Sense buzzed, and in my minds eye I saw her punch me square in the jaw. In the nick of time, I dodged it. More of these punches came, each of them more furious than the last. With each punch thrown, she kept coughing, “Let...me...hit...you!' Finally, I'd had enough and caught her fists. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Big mistake. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“God dammit Kyle...LET ME HIT YOU!” she shrieked, and I saw tears running down her face, and I felt tears beginning to form in my own eyes. God damn, how could I have been so selfish, leaving her here just when we finally came clean to each other. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I took a deep breath. “I can't let you hit me,” I said softly. “I can't turn off my invincibility. If you hit me, you'd probably break your hand, and I don't want that.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She looked up at me, still angry. “Oh,” she growled. “Thanks, I guess.” I let go of her arms, convinced she wouldn't attack me again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So you're back,” she continued in that same angry voice. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” I replied, smiling weakly, hoping for one in return. I didn't get it. “Listen, Bree, I know I told you I'd be gone for a month at most, but...”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But you weren't,” she finished for me. “I'm more than aware of that, Kyle. You were gone for six months, and you didn't even call me. You know how many times I tried calling you the first few months? Every hour, on the hour. And did I ever get a response? No. Do you realize that I thought you were dead? Do you realize that I was more scared for you than I had ever been for anything else?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She was crying freely now, and the pure truth I sensed in her words caused a tear that I had been fighting fall down my cheek. They reminded me so much of my fathers, who I knew loved me deeply. “I'm sorry, Briana. I'm so sorry.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She wiped her eyes. “So what? You think now that you're back that we can be together, after what you put me through?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]At this, I inwardly rolled my eyes. Women. All their arguments could be the same, at times. This was one of their times. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I sighed. “You should know where I've been. I owe you that much.” And so I told her all about Sage, all about the alternate reality I visited. I spent the most detail on the world of Dark Spartan, and when I got to the part of sobbing in front of the portrait of Briana, my voice cracked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Do you understand?” I asked. “I left so I wouldn't become the monster that I saw, even though I had no idea it could get that bad. I left so that I would never hurt you, even unintentionally. But I guess I did anyway.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]More tears were flowing, this time from my end. How could I have been so stupid? I turned away. “If you want me out of your life, fine. I understand. But I needed you to know why I had to do what I did, and I hope that someday you'll forgive me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I began to fly away, but I was no more than three feet off the ground when I felt a tug on my leg. I turned to see Briana's arms grasped around it, pulling on it with all of her strength.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“No...you...don't...,” she grunted. I stopped flying, and gravity took over. Before I knew it, I was laying on top of her. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We stared at each other in awkward silence for the first minute. Finally, I broke the silence by saying, “Well...this is awkward.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Doesn't have to be,” Briana said, and in those words, I knew she had forgiven me and welcomed me back. I looked into her eyes, which glittered. As I leaned in for the kiss that she clearly wanted, I said, “You know...you're good at [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]badminton...”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As our lips locked, I think she was in the process of saying, “Thank you.”[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Copperplate Gothic Light, sans-serif]Chapter Five[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Life could not have been more perfect; Briana and I were finally dating, I had no inner angst whatsoever, I'd owned Jason and Leon in Super Smash Bros., and I was just in a generally good mood. Unfortunately, this was not to last, as I was told by Dad that I had to go back to school. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But Dad!” I whined over the dinner table. “What if all the kids try to beat the **** out of me? I don't wanna have to melt them!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Taking a strong bite out of his turkey, he responded, “Get over it,” as he was chewing. I groaned.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Did you finish working on the costume yet, at least?” I asked, picking at my chicken. “It made things so much easier in the morning, just pressing a button so that clothes appeared.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I only just found the plans last night,” Dad admitted. Under my glare, he shrugged, “It's been over two years since you've needed them. You're lucky I didn't throw them out.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Touche',” I said. “But what am I gonna do about the suit needed for my uniform?” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Already taken care of,” Dad said. “I picked it up on the way back from work today.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Then where is it?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dad chewed some more. “Back of my car.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Rolling my eyes, I ran out of the dining room and returned five seconds later holding the suit in my hands. Seeing as it was bought by someone who was not me, I examined it thoroughly. It was navy blue as opposed to black, but otherwise was exactly the same as any other suit. “It'll do,” I said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * *[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The morning came. I didn't sleep (not that I needed to), mostly due to nerves. I felt like a new kid at school, wondering if all the kids would like me. Well, not like me, but at least tolerate me. When the alarm buzzed, I sighed and put the suit on, and struggled with the tie. I can lift tons and tons, I can run faster than a speeding bullet, but I can't tie a tie. How's that for irony?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I took my time getting ready, and it was only with ten minutes left until first period that I left the house.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When I arrived, there were exactly nine minutes and twenty-seven seconds remaining until first period. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Trying to make myself as unassuming as possible, I walked through the hallways to my locker. To my immense relief, my fellow students either didn't notice my presence, or else didn't care. When I opened my locker, my Battle Sense went off, and I turned battle-ready only to find Briana about to poke my sides. “Oh.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh?” she said, frowning. “That's all you have to say to your loving girlfriend?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Sorry,” I said, smiling and kissing her. “My Battle Sense went off, and I thought it was someone like Sara Shinlye coming after me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oooh,” Briana said. “Well this sucks. Now I can never catch you by surprise.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You'll get over it, I'm sure,” I said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You ass,” she laughed, elbowing my side gently. We started walking together. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh, and you shouldn't worry about Sara Shinlye. Even though she was left back a year, she disappeared in October.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Really?” I asked, frowning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah,” Briana replied. “Most of her belongings were gone from her room, too, leading the cops to think she ran away. They didn't really do a heavy search for her, though. She was almost eighteen, and with the metahuman problem she wasn't exactly a major concern.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Can't blame Cap,” I said as the two of us arrived at the Usual Spot outside the cafeteria, where Leon and Jackson were. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Jason has first off,” Leon explained to my questioning stare.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Bastard,” I said. “I know I'm like three months late with this, but what do you guys have first period?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]While I had forensics, Leon had calculus, Jackson had English, and Briana had British History. I was saddened that I had no friends in first period, where I would find out if I was to be a social pariah this year. My worries were lifted when, after my name was called, the students paid me no more attention than anyone else. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh thank God,” I said with a sigh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next time I saw my friends was sixth period gym. Despite it being November, it was relatively warm, so we went onto the track, where we had the option of either walking it or running it. Since my friends, girlfriend and I are incredibly lazy, we chose to walk it. However...[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Hey, Kyle?” Jason said to me as we walked. “Bet I can beat you in a race.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Everyone stared at him. “Hello?” Leon said, knocking him on the head. “Who's the one with superspeed, here?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason rolled his eyes. “I meant without superspeed, *****e.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I considered his words for a minute. “What are the stakes?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason grinned a toothy grin. “I'll be fair. Five bucks.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I considered. “You're on.” [/FONT]We got into ready positions, and appointed Briana as referee. She accepted, but only grudgingly. “Boys...,” she said disgustedly. “On your mark...get set...go!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I bolted off in normal human speed, but saw with my hyper-awareness that Jason was stuck not a foot away from the starting line. When I crossed the finish line, I ran back. “What happened?” I chuckled, since I knew exactly what had [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]happened. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Ugh...I stepped in some white stuff...say nothing, Leon!” Jason snapped. Then a look of comprehension dawned on his face. “Wait a minute...you webbed my shoes to the ground!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I put on an innocent face. “Who, me? Never.” He kept staring at me, and to get him to stop I said, “Fine, fine. Yeah, I webbed your shoes to the ground. I was considering using heat vision to make them stick to the track, but then I saw that those are some nice shoes.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I said no superpowers!” Jason snarled.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Technically, you said no superspeed,” Jackson said, coming to my defense. “You said nothing about using webs.” He winked at me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jason looked as if he were about to attack me. Since I knew that would only end in him lying on the ground in pain, I said, “You don't have to pay, it's fine.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“For you, maybe,” he growled. “You're not the one stuck to the ground. Do you realize how sticky this **** is? Say nothing, Leon,” he added, seeing Leon ready to burst out laughing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I used heat vision at a moderate level to melt the webbing off. “There, happy?” I asked, offering him a hand to help him up. He accepted. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I guess,” he replied. “Still...never do that again, or I'll...****, I can't hurt you. I'll get back to you on what act of vengeance I'll do to you if you do that to me again.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We laughed, and continued to walk around the rest of the period. When the time came for us to re-enter the school, Briana slipped her arm around mine, and we walked in like that. It was during this moment that I remembered something very [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]important.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh crap! I forgot your birthday!” I exclaimed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't worry about it, it's fine,” Briana said, smiling kindly. “Besides, I got the wish I made on my candles.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Which was?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You coming home.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I stopped in my tracks. “Wow,” I said. I bit my tongue in contemplation. “That's it. Tonight, I'm taking you out to dinner. No arguments, I'm doing it.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“If you insist, Kyle,” Briana said, patting my cheek as she went into the girls locker room. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Humph,” I grumbled. “Well, at least she's finally realized how stubborn I am.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When 7:30 rolled around, I left to pick up Briana. Unfortunately, I didn't have a driver's license (who needs one when you can fly?), so I had to call a taxi, which contrasted nicely with the suit I was wearing. When we arrived in front of her house, I got out and rang the bell. When it opened, I saw the most beautiful thing I had ever seen: Briana, hair slightly curled, wearing a shiny navy blue dress. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Holy ****,” I whispered. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Briana smiled. “Face it, tiger...you just hit the jackpot.” [/FONT]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"