Special-ed student records bullying, but is accused of felony wiretapping

A wiretapping charge against a South Fayette High School student who recorded two classmates bullying him has been dropped by the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office.

Mike Manko, a spokesman for District Attorney Stephen Zappala, said Judge Robert Gallo signed an order Thursday to withdraw the citation against 15-year-old Christian Stanfield.

"No one in our office who is authorized to give advice on wiretap issues or school conduct issues was ever contacted in this matter. We have made multiple attempts to contact the officer who wrote the citation and (the) results have been unsuccessful," Manko said in a written statement. "We do not believe this behavior rises to the level of a citation."

Attorney Jonathan Steele said it never makes sense to charge the victim of a crime with a crime.

"The lesson is zero tolerance doesn’t necessarily mean zero common sense," said Steele.

With his mother at his side, Stanfield explained Tuesday in his attorney's office why he used his iPad to record the audio of two bullies in his math class last week. It is bullying that had gone on for months with no intervention from school officials, he said.

"I feel like they wouldn't have understood it unless they have some kind of evidence, some way to understand what I was going through," Stanfield said.

At times during the news conference, the teen's mother, Shea Love, became emotional as she spoke about what the bullies were allegedly heard doing.

"They were talking about pulling his pants down, and some things I can't repeat, and laughing and cutting up like it was a big joke, it was not a joke, not at all funny," Love said.

The family reported the incident to the principal. What happened the next day made national news. Christian was told by the school to erase the audio and was charged with disorderly conduct and wiretapping.

Steele said the state's privacy laws that require a person to know he or she is being recorded do not pertain to such classroom conversation as in the South Fayette case. Steele said he would ask the government office of civil rights to investigate the school on behalf of the family.

"The family wants to use this opportunity to change the culture at South Fayette, to be an anti-bullying culture," he said.

Stanfield said he has heard from supporters across the country, giving him strength to fight the case.

"It's just amazing seeing all those people who went through the same things or even worse than I have. I'm glad they feel I've given them a voice and that's what I want to do," he said.

It's horrible that a little thing called context seems unimportant in these instances.
Yeah, really. When a cihld can be suspended for using his fingers as a gun because of zero tolerance, you know it's gone too far. A bullied teen records evidence of being bullied so no one can doubt it and he gets punished, because of zero tolerance. He was "wire tapping" his own abuse! :whatever:

I blame good old zero tolerance policy. This is a "crime" that might reflect badly on the school whereas who gives a **** about some special needs kid getting bullied.

Wouldn't a "zero tolerance" policy have meant that the bullies would have been suspended for much smaller offenses much less actually hitting the boy?

Bullying is still acceptable. They aren't using a gun or imitating one, so it isn't illegal. They aren't breaking a wire-tapping law, not illegal. Bullying is seen as a "kids will be kids" thing and a part of growing up. That mentality has to change before there's any enforced policy on handling it.

I remember going to school and there were always bullies. Some of them worse than others. More than a few times I'd see them get away with stuff directly in front of a teacher who wouldn't even look away but completely ignore it, pretending it was not going on right in front of them.

Recording audio on a cell phone or audio recorder in a school is not illegal nor is it wiretapping. Thats a crock of **** lol.

I think we need a team of volunteers. Men and women who will go to schools and hang around, keeping an eye on things. Then, when they see a bully, that proceed to kick the living s*** out of them! Show the bully what it's like to be picked on by someone tougher than them. I don't think you'd have to do it too many time before they got the message and cut that s*** out. I know some of you will see this as extreme and, I don't really care. To me, bullies are the most pathetic excuses for human life on the planet. Every evil person is just some form of a bully. The world would be better off without them.

I think we need a team of volunteers. Men and women who will go to schools and hang around, keeping an eye on things. Then, when they see a bully, that proceed to kick the living s*** out of them! Show the bully what it's like to be picked on by someone tougher than them. I don't think you'd have to do it too many time before they got the message and cut that s*** out. I know some of you will see this as extreme and, I don't really care. To me, bullies are the most pathetic excuses for human life on the planet. Every evil person is just some form of a bully. The world would be better off without them.

Some child bullies are being abused in some way at home which causes them to take their pain out on someone else so I dont think physically abusing this group more is going to help.

Tho Ill grant you some kids are just massive *****e nozzles and need a swift kick in the ass.

Sometimes, I think the higher ups are just protecting themselves when crap like this happens. Injustice.

This kid is going to get so much support (rightfully so) and if that video ever finds its way online, those bullies are going to be demonized for life.

With camera phones being so prevalent in today's society, a kid would be stupid to harass and bully another person. I hope this helps to deter bullies, but I think we all know they're not smart enough to think about that sort of thing. And like Marvolo said, a lot of bullies have crappy home lives and take their anger out on their peers.

Vicious cycle.

It reminds me of this wonderful Key and Peele skit.

Please everyone, watch this:

[YT]CUvFeyGxaaU[/YT]

It reminds me of this wonderful Key and Peele skit.

Please everyone, watch this:

[YT]CUvFeyGxaaU[/YT]

applauding.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back