Spider-Man (2002) or Captain America: Civil War (2016) ?

Neil McCauley

Civilian
Reaction score
Both are great marvel films and their rep is still high. Which one do you prefer?

I have nostalgia from the first Spider-Man film but besides the villain, CW did everything better. And it has aged better.

I’d put Spider-Man barely below my top 10 and Civil War as the 4th best CBM

Raimi's Spider-Man for me, one of the best origin films we've had. Love the trilogy full stop and certainly more than Civil War, which whilst decent entertainment is just 'there' for me. A lot of that though is my MCU feeling anyway, which is well known on here.

Raimi's Spider-Man for me, one of the best origin films we've had. Love the trilogy full stop and certainly more than Civil War, which whilst decent entertainment is just 'there' for me. A lot of that though is my MCU feeling anyway, which is well known on here.

How it is just here? And also, did you seriously say that BvS is better than Civil War? O_O

How it is just here? And also, did you seriously say that BvS is better than Civil War? O_O

I'm not the biggest MCU fan in the world, slight under statement there. Plus yes for me BvS is far superior, but I'm a DC fan over Marvel and DCEU over MCU fan.

Spider-Man & it's not even close.

Although having said that, I said in another thread, the original Spider-Man of Maguire's trilogy hasn't aged well for me.. that being said Civil War was & is mediocre IMO so Spider-Man for me is still comfortably better.

Tough call, but Civil War is my #3 all-time CBM. It was innovative despite doing a juggling act with numerous characters and previous storylines.

Spiderman 2.

Civil War is a one watch and done. Entertaining but has zero rewatch value, knowing that Tony and Caps ''split'' was more or less forgot about once Thanos came to earth. There are no lasting consequences of Civil War.

I don't know which one I'd vote here. Civil War is great, one of the top the studio has produced. Spider-Man is one of the most influential films in the genre and while it hasn't aged all that well on various aspects, I do have more of a soft spot for it.

I'm not the biggest MCU fan in the world, slight under statement there. Plus yes for me BvS is far superior, but I'm a DC fan over Marvel and DCEU over MCU fan.

You have to be trolling, Civil War is close to TDK in terms of quality lol. I also like DC and Marvel both equal. But edge to Marvel in movies. (Their best stuff is equal)

Spiderman 2.

Civil War is a one watch and done. Entertaining but has zero rewatch value, knowing that Tony and Caps ''split'' was more or less forgot about once Thanos came to earth. There are no lasting consequences of Civil War.

It's Spider-Man 1 and not SM2

consequences of Civil War:

- The avengers are divided and the accords are law

- Spidey is a public hero

- Steve doesnt have his shield and quits

- Bucky is frozen

- Thanos is coming to a defenceless earth

- Some people like Ant Man, Hawkeye and Falcon won't see their families

- Half of the avengers are fugitives with the law

- The remaining Avengers are crippled, emotionally, physically and psycothically (Wanda and Cap for example)

Spider-Man & it's not even close.

Although having said that, I said in another thread, the original Spider-Man of Maguire's trilogy hasn't aged well for me.. that being said Civil War was & is mediocre IMO so Spider-Man for me is still comfortably better.

It's one of the best CBMs of all time... no way it's mediocre. At worst, it's a good action movie.

Replying to Neil....Not trolling, promise, my genuine thoughts. I don't outright dislike Marvel, in fact historically love some of their characters (hence my love for Raimi's films amongst many) but just don't like the MCU, that's all.

It's one of the best CBMs of all time... no way it's mediocre. At worst, it's a good action movie.

Couldn't disagree any stronger. I wouldn't rank it among the best MCU films let alone among the best CBM's of all time.

I'd say Spiderman 2002. Cap gets kinda sidelined by the Avengers in his own film in CW imo.

The only things that really standout for me are the introduction of Black Panther and The MCU Spiderman.

Spiderman 2002 is about Peter Parker, and his growth from a teenager into a young man.

Replying to Neil....Not trolling, promise, my genuine thoughts. I don't outright dislike Marvel, in fact historically love some of their characters (hence my love for Raimi's films amongst many) but just don't like the MCU, that's all.

I'll never believe that. You're allowed to have your own opinions but claiming that BvS is "far better" than CW is just... laughable no offense intended.

Couldn't disagree any stronger. I wouldn't rank it among the best MCU films let alone among the best CBM's of all time.

It's the 2nd best MCU film imo. And the 3rd or 4th best CBM.

1. TDK

2. TWS

3. BB / Civil War (leaning Begins by a hair)

I'll never believe that. You're allowed to have your own opinions but claiming that BvS is "far better" than CW is just... laughable no offense intended.

You don't have to believe it, it's my view. You're fine with yours. :up: None taken at all. Just a far superior film, far more engaging. As I say not a fan of the MCU at all and massive Superman fan so.....

It's Spider-Man 1 and not SM2

Oh I didnt see that. I always assume Spiderman 2 came out in 2002 for some reason.

consequences of Civil War:

- The avengers are divided and the accords are law

The avengers are divided for more or less 1 year until Thanos and his army comes to earth in which case they band together back pretty quickly. The accords are meaningless too. There is no oversight by the government when Thanos invades. The superheroes still do what they want, when they want. In fact, there is a scene in IW where Ross appears via hologram message and orders Cap & co to give themselves up and they just switch off the videolink.

- Spidey is a public hero
He already was public in NY swinging about in his bright homemade costume.

- Steve doesnt have his shield and quits

Which he gets back in IW a year later.

- Thanos is coming to a defenceless earth

This is a legitmate point. But whether the Avengers are split or not, Thanos still comes unexpected to Earth and the Avengers can't match him either way. You can watch Age of Ultron and then skip CW and go straight into IW and it wouldn't change almost anything apart from the little scene at the Sanctomorium where Stark says he and Cap are not on speaking terms.
- Some people like Ant Man, Hawkeye and Falcon won't see their families
Fair. But don't forget Hawkeye and Antman both came out of ''retirement'' and aligned themselves with Cap through their own choice.

- Half of the avengers are fugitives with the law

As I said, doesnt mean much since the law has no power to enforce anything because the Avengers do what they want, when they want.

- The remaining Avengers are crippled, emotionally, physically and psycothically (Wanda and Cap for example)

Rhodey is crippled, but again if you went from AoU into IW you wouldnt notice anything wrong with his so called disability. Wandas romance with Vision is very briefly touched in CW, but their opening kiss scene in IW still took a few people by surprise to say, wait theyre together now? When did that happen.

You don't have to believe it, it's my view. You're fine with yours. :up: None taken at all. Just a far superior film, far more engaging. As I say not a fan of the MCU at all and massive Superman fan so.....

I also like Superman a lot, he's in my top 5 heroes list. But that doesn’t mean I am going to claim that BvS a movie with plot holes and Lex is better than Civil War which is arguably close to being a CBM masterpiece.

1. Batman

2. Spider-Man

3. Iron Man

4. Superman

5. Captain America

6. Wonder Woman

7. Hulk

8. Wolverine

9. Flash

10. Daredevil

Last edited:
I also like Superman a lot, he's in my top 5 heroes list. But that doesn’t mean I am going to claim that BvS a movie with plot holes and Lex is better than Civil War which is arguably close to being a CBM masterpiece.

Oh look you have an opinion you believe in and consider important too, just like me. Nice one. :up:

Oh I didnt see that. I always assume Spiderman 2 came out in 2002 for some reason.

The avengers are divided for more or less 1 year until Thanos and his army comes to earth in which case they band together back pretty quickly. The accords are meaningless too. There is no oversight by the government when Thanos invades. The superheroes still do what they want, when they want. In fact, there is a scene in IW where Ross appears via hologram message and orders Cap & co to give themselves up and they just switch off the videolink.

He already was public in NY swinging about in his bright homemade costume.

Which he gets back in IW a year later.

This is a legitmate point. But whether the Avengers are split or not, Thanos still comes unexpected to Earth and the Avengers can't match him either way. You can watch Age of Ultron and then skip CW and go straight into IW and it wouldn't change almost anything apart from the little scene at the Sanctomorium where Stark says he and Cap are not on speaking terms.

Fair. But don't forget Hawkeye and Antman both came out of ''retirement'' and aligned themselves with Cap through their own choice.

As I said, doesnt mean much since the law has no power to enforce anything because the Avengers do what they want, when they want.

Rhodey is crippled, but again if you went from AoU into IW you wouldnt notice anything wrong with his so called disability. Wandas romance with Vision is very briefly touched in CW, but their opening kiss scene in IW still took a few people by surprise to say, wait theyre together now? When did that happen.

Yeah, they were divided and not everyone did reunite together. That’s why there are two sides in IW. This helped Thanos clearly. The accord were broken due to Tony and Cap's final fight and the fact he learned the lesson.

He still got his first real costume and started to save people and fighting threats after the battle. Cmon, people didn’t know him at start.

False, he gets it back in EG. He didn’t have the shield and Bucky didn’t have his original metal arm.

It would change the fact that those films are important from a narrative point and character development, and great too. Also, they can’t match him doesn’t help the fact that the split was here so it’s a consequence.

They did for helping a friend and to be heroes...

They didn’t actually, I mean we had Bruce trying to get captured and Cap too. Simply they made an agreement that’s why they didn’t get arrested after the escape. But they were still arrested after the fight. You can’t expect anything to stay for multiple films, it happened in the film.

I also said Cap and anyways, these three and others weren’t really happy with the result.

Oh look you have an opinion you believe in and consider important too, just like me. Nice one. :up:

Fair enough. Superman is great but make it atleast MOS or Superman: The Movie. Why did you like BvS that much?

Neil - love both MoS and Superman the Movie is the greatest CBM of all-time in my book. I loved BvS for all types of reasons. Emotionally, got a lot from Death of Superman aspect, really strong visuals, asked quite a few pertinent questions, thought Affleck and Cavill were excellent, loved the dynamic of HC & AA, which carried on from amazing chemistry in MoS. Just really love it.

Reactions: B
Neil - love both MoS and Superman the Movie is the greatest CBM of all-time in my book. I loved BvS for all types of reasons. Emotionally, got a lot from Death of Superman aspect, really strong visuals, asked quite a few pertinent questions, thought Affleck and Cavill were excellent, loved the dynamic of HC & AA, which carried on from amazing chemistry in MoS. Just really love it.

Fair enough. I like both but wouldn’t say best CBM but Reeves is one of the best heroes for sure.

BvS has great action, Affleck, great cinematography and a good soundtrack. The main issues are in the pacing/plot which is a bit slow if I remember correctly. Lex was disappointing after Stacey

Still a good film IMO but gotta watch it again.

Fair enough. I like both but wouldn’t say best CBM but Reeves is one of the best heroes for sure.

BvS has great action, Affleck, great cinematography and a good soundtrack. The main issues are in the pacing/plot which is a bit slow if I remember correctly. Lex was disappointing after Stacey

Still a good film IMO but gotta watch it again.

Being the age I am, Superman was my first 'access point' to the character on the big screen and it just holds a huge amount of personal affection for me and it acts as the template for so many others that have followed, but getting off main subject here.

Last edited:
Being the age I am, Superman was my first 'access point' to the character on the big screen and it just holds a huge amount of personal affection for me and it acts as the template for so many others that have followed, but getting of main subject here.

fair enough

It's the 2nd best MCU film imo. And the 3rd or 4th best CBM.

1. TDK

2. TWS

3. BB / Civil War (leaning Begins by a hair)

Just from the MCU, off the top of my head I'd probably rank Civil War behind, in no particular order -

Infinity War, Endgame, The Avengers, Iron Man 1, Thor 1, First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Guardians 1, SM Homecoming, SM FFH & Dr. Strange.

IMO there are quite a lot of films from the MCU that are simply 'alright' & how good they actually are is blown way overboard simply because they're associated with the MCU. Civil War would be 1 of those films that falls into such a category. I'd rank Civil War probably somewhere in the middle of the pack from the whole MCU lineup.

Spider-Man for sure. I feel like there's a certain charm that film (as well as the other Raimi Spider-Man films have) that the MCU doesn't. it's a classic superhero origin film in the most classic sense that there is. it pays respect to the source material, wearing it on it's sleeve, while changing some things to fit with the directors vision. Spider-Man 2 is an even better film and easily one of the greatest superhero films ever made. I feel like the Raimi Spider-Man films, not only still being the best film adaption of the character, just really managed to really connect with audiences and they have such an "honest" sense about them. This isn't a dig at Civil War, but I feel like Raimis Spider-Man (and the other 2 films) have a pulse behind them that some of the MCU films don't have. It's hard for me to put into words really, but the Raimi movies (and especially Spider-Man 2) are a capsule in time and a template I think all comic book filmmakers should look at when the words "classic" come to mind and what defines that. It's one of the purest forms of what an adaption of a comic book character should be. Batman Begins is still by far my favorite origin story superhero film, but Spider-Man sits comfortably underneath that.

In regards to Civil War, I actually think Winter Soldier is far better than Civil War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"