Spider-Man (2002) or Captain America: Civil War (2016) ?

Just from the MCU, off the top of my head I'd probably rank Civil War behind, in no particular order -

Infinity War, Endgame, The Avengers, Iron Man 1, Thor 1, First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Guardians 1, SM Homecoming, SM FFH & Dr. Strange.

IMO there are quite a lot of films from the MCU that are simply 'alright' & how good they actually are is blown way overboard simply because they're associated with the MCU. Civil War would be 1 of those films that falls into such a category. I'd rank Civil War probably somewhere in the middle of the pack from the whole MCU lineup.

I heavily disagree on everything you have said. It actually got better in the 2nd watch and.

thor? Guardians? SM films? Strange? Seriously? Lol.

I vote SM.
I'm not as high on Civil War as some people are. A few essential drawbacks are the absence of Thor, Hulk... Then some aspects of the movie are not that great or come together all that well, the relationship between Vision and Wanda is meh and they never improve a cool character like Vision from what we saw in Age of Ultron, the Winter Soldier stuff is a bit of a rethread, also done way better in the 2nd cap movie... Spider-man is hastily thrown in there...

The best stuff for me is the introduction of a badass and mysterious character like Black Panther, some of that conflict between Cap and Iron Man and the airport battle is good.

In my book Winter Soldier is definitely better than Civil War.

Reactions: B
I heavily disagree on everything you have said. It actually got better in the 2nd watch and.

thor? Guardians? SM films? Strange? Seriously? Lol.

Without a doubt, they're all better IMO.

I actually liked it less the 2nd time I saw it, which wasn't until I saw it on Blu-Ray, because it made me further realise how much of a rush job it was to force Spider-Man into the film purely to put more asses in seats at the cinema rather than an actual necessity for him to be in the film.

Two of my favorite comic book movies to date, but giving the edge to Spider-Man because he's my favorite fictional character of all-time, nostalgia and I love seeing his origin story.

Civil War is the third best MCU movie for me, maybe second.

Civil War. Spider-man is a really good movie, sure, but it is fundamentally still a movie limited by its era. And IMO, the whole "Spider-man as Street Level Superman" portrayal. . . is valid, but really doesn't hold up especially good, because that just isn't who Peter Parker is. Its the kind of thematic decision that can *only* work in a "every movie is its own independent universe, with every superhero being the lone extraordinary thing" movie.

Also, Civil War is a Captain America movie, and the correct answer to any question of "How to make something better?" is "Put Steve Rogers in it". *cough*

Without a doubt, they're all better IMO.

I actually liked it less the 2nd time I saw it, which wasn't until I saw it on Blu-Ray, because it made me further realise how much of a rush job it was to force Spider-Man into the film purely to put more asses in seats at the cinema rather than an actual necessity for him to be in the film.

I heavily disagree on everything you have said. Spider Man was an ok introduction for a new hero and for a non lethal resolution.

And none of these films are in the same tier as CW IMO.

I'm not the biggest MCU fan in the world, slight under statement there. Plus yes for me BvS is far superior, but I'm a DC fan over Marvel and DCEU over MCU fan.
giphy.gif

Raimi's Spider-Man for me, one of the best origin films we've had. Love the trilogy full stop and certainly more than Civil War, which whilst decent entertainment is just 'there' for me. A lot of that though is my MCU feeling anyway, which is well known on here.
How do so many people Hate on the MCU yet the movies make so much money? Please explain

Spider-Man was solid for it's time. Comes off cheesy and campy watching a lot of it now, but you have to take it in context of where CBM movies were at the time.

Civil War is on another level. It's everything BvS should have been and failed to be. A decisive win for Kevin Feige, who literally greenlit Civil War because BvS was announced.

It still amazes me they put together Civil War from scripting and pre-production to finished product in just over a year. Impressive for a film with so many moving parts.

Spider Man 2 is massively overrated and poorly paced - Civil War is an amazing juggling act that combines so many great features including the best RDJ performance as Iron Man ( since his first film) with the introduction of Spider Man and Black Panther, an understated but effective villain, and one of the best action sequences in the MCU.

Civil War is a whole other class to Spider Man 2

Spider Man 2 is massively overrated and poorly paced - Civil War is an amazing juggling act that combines so many great features including the best RDJ performance as Iron Man ( since his first film) with the introduction of Spider Man and Black Panther, an understated but effective villain, and one of the best action sequences in the MCU.

I agree with everything you have said but it's Spider Man 1 vs Civil War..

Spider-Man is definitely genre defining and brought CBM to a new level, but give me a movie that has other heroes showing up is my jam. Throw in the movie being excellent tips the scale for me.

I agree with everything you have said but it's Spider Man 1 vs Civil War..

Oops ! It's been a long week ! I would still take Civil War over Spider Man 1 but it's a lot closer.

If anything Spider Man is underrated.

Oops ! It's been a long week ! I would still take Civil War over Spider Man 1 but it's a lot closer.

If anything Spider Man is underrated.

Spider Man gets the love it deserves, it’s considered a solid and good cbm that has aged. I would rate it with an 8/10 tbh.

While Civil War has the benefit of multiple movies leading up to it, it's still a better film than Spider-Man 1 relatively speaking. As a huge Spider-Man fan myself, I was never fully satisfied with the first film. Thought Green Goblin was too cheesy and didn't like how they translated MJ.

CIVIL WAR. As much as I love Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy as movies, I have issues with how they've adapted the character and his world. MCU's Captain America is my favorite live action superhero, and while I think Civil War is quite overrated I still place it high enough on the joy scale to make the adaption of characters speak louder than other aspects of the films.

just wondering but you like TDKR overall?

The Dark Knight Rises has some great moments but gets worse with multiple viewings. That's about all I can say really. Cheers.

Fair enough. Some people also mentioned that, and i honestly rewatch it often and more than the other two.

IMO, Dark Knight Rises deserves its mixed status as a movie, it just doesn't deserve it for the *reasons* typically given by fans. The overall dramatic arc for Bruce was fine, and the ending was *absolutely* fine. "Letting Bruce Wayne win, retire, and live a happy ending" is not a 'betrayal' of te character. However, the overall plot is an overly crammed mess, as its basically two movies worth of story compressed into one-and-a-half movies worth of length. It was too ambitious for its limits and so made a lot of sloppy errors and character/plot shortcuts. Hence why, IMO, it doesn't hold up to the same standard as the first and second movie.

Which doesn't mean its a *bad* movie. A weak Nolan movie is still a pretty dang well crafted product, delivered by a rogues gallery of top notch actors. It just stumbles more than its predecessors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"