No Way Home Spider-Man 4 General News and Discussion Thread

I still kind of like the idea of Justin Lin. If nothing else I think he'd deliver something visually interesting.

Justin Lin would be fine. Not a name that would get me excited, but he is competent. Goddard I am sad to see go to The Matrix to reanimated that dead corpse of a franchise in another string of legacy sequels to franchises that should just go away by this point. But alas, there are other names that could interest me

A bit disappointing but I also didn't think Goddard was a must have either. While I like his work and do think he would have been a good candiate, I can't help but also think about his previous Sinister Six ideas he had.
I don't think Goddard was a must have, but I preferred him honestly because if he began working with Disney again on a Marvel project then I think they would bring him onboard for his past work potentially, namely Daredevil. And Spider-Man would have been the perfect project for him to re-join the fold back into given the rumors about Daredevil appearing

Justin Lin would be fine. Not a name that would get me excited, but he is competent. Goddard I am sad to see go to The Matrix to reanimated that dead corpse of a franchise in another string of legacy sequels to franchises that should just go away by this point. But alas, there are other names that could interest me
Excluding Raimi, what are the other names?

Excluding Raimi, what are the other names?
I dont have one for you off hand, but Justin Lin isn't the first guy on that list, let's just say that

Likelihood
I suppose the possibility is still open but I can't speak to the likelihood. He has one film coming out this year and another one filming for next year, but for that film he's a producer not a director. I don't know how much work is reduced from being a director to producer though.

Could dreams and flashbacks be used as story elements in Spiderman 4? The Raimi Trilogy used them, and they could be effective in advancing character arcs as well.

I mean....stuff like that depends on the script, lol! You can make anything work if you want it!

What are some story beats that should be seen? And what movies, tone-wise, should SM4 emulate?

They have to! Although I expect the Hobgoblin of the MCU will be different than traditional Marvel comics, since the MCU version has some magical capabilities. Maybe he will be a student of Strange's who goes rogue, or lured to the dark side by a surviving Scarlet Witch or Agatha Harkness or something.

Man that would be so cool. Time skip, Peter's settled into a new life somewhere with new friends, one day he ends up facing off against this magic-using Hobgoblin, eventually the mask comes off and he finds out it's Ned who fell in with the wrong crowd after having Peter erased from his life.

Also helps that his actor lost a bunch of weight.

Man that would be so cool. Time skip, Peter's settled into a new life somewhere with new friends, one day he ends up facing off against this magic-using Hobgoblin, eventually the mask comes off and he finds out it's Ned who fell in with the wrong crowd after having Peter erased from his life.

Oh yeah, I think the actor would love to take his role to the next level from the guy in the chair to the supervillain on a super personal level.

From the way NwH ended though, I get the feeling Peter is gonna try to not be social with anyone so as to not endanger their lives, in his mind anyway. I think the bandaid he saw on MJ's forehead was a reminder to his sentiment that she was in harm's way because of him.

Do we have to repeat that story beat? It's been done twice. Not even sure if Jacob Batalon should be brought back for this film. Maybe do Hobgoblin for SM5

Last edited:
Do we have to repeat that story beat?

I think this would be a different enough execution that it would fall under the "it's like poetry, it rhymes" category. Especially since they foreshadow it in NWH by directly referencing Raimi Spider-man's relationship with Harry and how it ended.

Maybe do Hobgoblin for SM5

But yeah that would be fine. I want Spider-man 4 to be about Spider-man dealing with Kingpin and the criminal underworld. Putting a gap between Ned's last appearance and his return as Hobgoblin would work well I think.

Last edited:
I think this would be a different enough execution that it would fall under the "it's like poetry, it rhymes" category. Especially since they foreshadow it in NWH by directly referencing Raimi Spider-man's relationship with Harry and how it ended.
I get the poetry. In Multiverse of Madness, which occurs several days after the climax of No Way Home, Raimi includes a lot of shots and elements that reference his trilogy. So, things do tend to rhyme across the multiverse, even if people may be unaware of it. On another subject, what does everyone think of having MCU JJJ be kidnapped and tortured by crime elements (Kingpin or Scorpion) in the next film? That would be an interesting idea.

ugh. I dunno how reliable this source is but it's sounding more and more like Sony will get what they want

ugh. I dunno how reliable this source is but it's sounding more and more like Sony will get what they want
Ignore it. Repeating stuff from earlier.

Take it with some salt, but I’m still posting it!

Take it with some salt, but I’m still posting it!

I also would not buy it. Plus, Raimi recently said he hadn't been approached regarding Secret Wars. While a Spider-Man film would be more up his alley- assuming he isn't doing Doctor Strange 3- would he even want to return to that character?

I want to imagine that if this was legitimate, if Marvel asked him about a Spider-Man 4 film, they had to be specific and say it was their Spider-Man 4 and not his proposed one, meaning we'd never get John Malkovich as the Vulture.

giphy.gif

Tbf from recent reports it seems like they are having a hard time finding a director for this movie. So I wouldn't be surprised if Pascal or Sony thought about throwing Raimi's name out there as a possiblity. We know from leaked emails Pascal reached out to Raimi about returning back in 2014 after ASM2 bombed. So it wouldn't surprise me if at the very least they had a conversation with Raimi in the weeks since he made that statement, even if nothing came of it.

Also the report also mentions this

The other names I’ve been told might also be in the running are John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, they directed “Game Night,” “Dungeons & Dragons,” and wrote 2017’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming.”

I enjoyed Game Night and DnD so they would be pretty good picks. I think I'd actually prefer them for this over Raimi. Not that Raimi couldn't do a good job but I just feel like you couldn't recapture the magic of the original trilogy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"