Comics Spider-Man: The Series... comics to look into...

Triligors

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey, some of you might remember that a while ago I posted teleplays for my Spider-Man: The Series that I'm going to pitch to studio execs. Progress is still underway and looking better than ever.

Next year I will be attending Hofstra University for Film & TV. Where, hopefully, I will also establish a strong connection into the Marvel Universe... Avi Arad is an alumni of Hofstra!

The series focuses on a young Peter Parker, from Freshman year in High School on. This is the classic Spider-Man, including wise crack remarks along the way. The story is epic and shakespearean and uses the tragic story of Gwen Stacy as the basis of the series. Taking parts from all comic, film, and cartoon variations on the character to create a series that I think will really take off and one that fans will enjoy.

I will be using countless rogue gallery villains, including the 'minor' villains such as Big Man and Swarm. These villains may not be able to take on a film, but are perfectly suited towards an episode length story of film calibur.

What I need your help on is this:

Are there any specific Spider-Man comic book titles that I should be reading to get inspiration from?

read spiderman blue by loeb its a really good read showing the introduction of mary jane

Read Kurt Busiek's 25 issue run of Untold Tales of Spider-Man... which should be cheap enough to buy. :up:

:)

spidey-dude said:
read spiderman blue by loeb its a really good read showing the introduction of mary jane
Blue was good. Which brings me to the Lee/Romita era. Anything there was great.

Spider-Man: The Other

that arc JMS did where it turned out Gwen slept with Norman Osborn

anything with the Iron Spidey suit

all the totem stuff JMS did

yes, I am just trying to piss fanboys off right now :o

The Joker said:

LOL *******!!!!!!!

The Joker said:

Why you... In my days we would have hung you upside down and you would recive the caning of your life... those were the good old days.

Yes please use SP, The Other and all the totem crap... If you want your series to flop...

There are loads of great stuff. I'm guessing you've checked a lot of the main source material, Amazing Spider-Man Stories from the late 60's to the mid 70's are good.

Also, early Spectacular Spider-Man as well Web of Spider-Man should go well, (in the 80's those books had a really good angle for quite a good while.)

One thing I'd very much suggest, is to look at Paul Jenkins run on Peter Parker:Spider-Man, from a few years ago. It has a lot of great stories with good charachter depth. It also deals with a lot of second string villains, which is the angle you're going for.

Not only that, but his greatest stories were 'slice of life' tales. Not only were they comlpetely contained to one issue, but they had little to do with over the top action, and conveyed great emotion and depth about the decision to become Spider-Man. Perfect for an episodic TV Show

wolvie2020 said:
There are loads of great stuff. I'm guessing you've checked a lot of the main source material, Amazing Spider-Man Stories from the late 60's to the mid 70's are good.

Also, early Spectacular Spider-Man as well Web of Spider-Man should go well, (in the 80's those books had a really good angle for quite a good while.)

One thing I'd very much suggest, is to look at Paul Jenkins run on Peter Parker:Spider-Man, from a few years ago. It has a lot of great stories with good charachter depth. It also deals with a lot of second string villains, which is the angle you're going for.

Not only that, but his greatest stories were 'slice of life' tales. Not only were they comlpetely contained to one issue, but they had little to do with over the top action, and conveyed great emotion and depth about the decision to become Spider-Man. Perfect for an episodic TV Show

Yup. Also, if you don't get some inspiration from the following stories, you toil in vain:

1- The Essential Spider-Man (vol. 1-7)
2- The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man (ASM#248...I think)
3- Nothing Stops the Juggernaut (ASM 232-233...I think)
4- Peter Parker: Spider-Man #19-56 (Jenkins run, as mentioned by Wolvie2020)
5- Spider-Man Wedding Annual (This is where he marries his love....it is essential)
6- Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
7- Spider-Man: Blue
8- Spider-Man's Tangled Web (The entire series)
9- Untold Tales of Spider-Man (The entire series, as per Themanofbat)

That'll about cover it. Those cover about everything great, IMHO. There are some more good stories, but those are the great ones.

Trask said:
Why you... In my days we would have hung you upside down and you would recive the caning of your life... those were the good old days.

I remember the good old days...when men were men and so were the women...or something like that :o

shinlyle said:
Yup. Also, if you don't get some inspiration from the following stories, you toil in vain:

1- The Essential Spider-Man (vol. 1-7)
2- The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man (ASM#248...I think)
3- Nothing Stops the Juggernaut (ASM 232-233...I think)
4- Peter Parker: Spider-Man #19-56 (Jenkins run, as mentioned by Wolvie2020)
5- Spider-Man Wedding Annual (This is where he marries his love....it is essential)
6- Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
7- Spider-Man: Blue
8- Spider-Man's Tangled Web (The entire series)
9- Untold Tales of Spider-Man (The entire series, as per Themanofbat)

That'll about cover it. Those cover about everything great, IMHO. There are some more good stories, but those are the great ones.

The Juggernaut story took place in ASM #229 & 230, and I think Jenkins' run went from PP:SM Vol.2 #20 to 41 & 44 to 50.

Themanofbat said:
The Juggernaut story took place in ASM #229 & 230, and I think Jenkins' run went from PP:SM Vol.2 #20 to 41 & 44 to 50.

Thank you, sir!

Note that some of you might like. I know that "The kid who collected Spider-Man" is among the fan favorites and this story will make an appearance more than likely in the first season.

I know that there are some out there who don't like Smallville, but it was a major inspiration for me. To show the journey of becoming a hero and the obstacles and challenges that come with it. Thus, one inspiration from the show is the character Ryan from the seaon 2 episode, RYAN (season 2, episode #8). The episode showed how Ryan (a young boy that's dieing) had an effect on Clark and the personal journey he would take in the years ahead.

I've already written a first draft of the episode HOPE, many parts of it will change, but I can guarantee that it will really be a great episode of the series. The arc of the first season is Peter Parker accepting the hardships and difficulties that come with the promise he has made to Uncle Ben, it's one thing to say that he'll live by his Uncle's motto and protect NYC- it's another to follow through with it..... so, for me this tragic story really helps to build upon Peter Parker's character arc and the hero that he will one day become.

Similarly to Smallville- Spiderman is not yet a 'superhero'. He's got his powers, he's got a costume and the wise cracks.... but, the one thing that he doesn't have in the beginning and what the series focuses on is the man behind the mask. This is the question often asked in comic books- is it the identity or it is the man behind the mask that is the true hero? From my perspective, it's the man behind the mask. Thus, Peter already has the mask, now it's defining who he is as a hero that takes the center stage of his character arc.

And in this character arc are various challenges he has to face: who he is (the first Peter Parker we meet right after he is bitten by the spider- only wants to use the powers for his own benefit), who he was (his past with his parents), and who he will become (a hero watching over New York City).

Just to make a few comments/questions/suggestions Triligors. Having read some of your previous "episodes" I have to say that that some of what you've come up with is pretty good. However, I have a problem with the "Jason" character. While it's all right that Peter has a friend, might I suggest you substitute Mary Jane instead? Jason seems to have the "happy go-lucky party guy" aspect to him, so why not have the "happy go-lucky party girl?" And she can also be a bit of a tomboy, sort of a Peppermint Patty to Peter's Charlie Brown, although far more attractive. Likewise, MJ is in love with Peter but he only thinks of her as "just a friend," seeing how he's smitten with Gwen Stacy. Unless of course, you have plans on introducing MJ into a "sceond season." I'm sure you're thinking of having the classic scene where MJ shows up at Peter's door and says "Face it tiger. You hit the jackpot!"

Also, I understand why Doc Ock for a TV series would be difficult, although CGI effects could make it possible, although not as sophisticated as what we got in Spider-Man 2.

Anyway, I suggest for reading material, especially if your series is focused on the "Glory days" of Spider-Man, to read Essential Spider-Man Volumes 1-7, which gives you a lot of greats like the "If This Be My Destiny," "The Sinister Six," "Spider-Man No More," the introduction to many of Spidey's classic rogues and villains, and especially "The Night Gwen Stacy Died." Or, if you REALLY can't get enough, there's always the "40 Years of Spider-Man" on CD-Rom, which collects Amazing Fantasy #15, and every single issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #1 to #500.

Other reads I recommend are:
"Spider-Man:Blue"
"Nothing Stops the Juggernaut" (ASM #229-230)
"The Death of Jean DeWolff" (Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110)
"Kraven's Last Hunt" (a very dark story)
"Shadows of Evil's Past" (ASM #238-239)
"The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" (of course)
"Venom" (ASM #300)
Spectacular Spider-Man #200

Mary Jane will be in the show, but not until the third or fourth season. Very much like how Smallville brough Lois into the show much later.

To me, Mary Jane- although she is who Peter ends up with- has been done too much while Gwen Stacy has always had a very small role to play in the media adaptations. As can be seen in the cartoon and movies. For me, I really wanted to get away from that as far as possible. To establish this series as being something apart from the film franchise, which also gave me difficulties finding a great and fresh way to tell the origin story in the PILOT episode. It's been done, so for me not including MJ in the beginning is partly because it's been done before and can be somewhat repetitive. I want to explore new areas and relationships, thus to me the best way to do that is to introduce Mary Jane later on in the series. MJ's introduction into the series, is something that I think all the fans will definitely enjoy. I have her introduction all mapped out and this will definitely be one of my personal favorites. It's a slightly new take on MJ in a sense, but it will also be the classic MJ from the various comics, cartoon and movies.

Doc Ock will be on the show. But, not in the first season. Doc Ock will come into play much later in the show. He's a difficult opponent and where Peter starts off- it would be too difficult of a challenge. But, in future seasons- yeah, definitely. We will see Ock, Lizard, etc. Might not have the exact effect the movies are able to pull off, but we might be able to pull it off. An introduction to these characters will come earlier in the show than their villainous persona, allowing for each of these important characters to play a supporting character role before becoming a "bad guy."

As for effects. TV special effects have progressed ALOT over the years- best example is to compare the Lois & Clark flying scenes to those of Smallville. So, seeing what Smallville is able to pull off now. I have no doubt that by the time this series is going through pre-production stages the effects will be there. Thus, we'll have lots of effects for the show- but, when we don't have the effects there are always creative ways to "beat around the bush."

Also in seperating the series from the films is the look of the Green Goblin. Personally I REALLY liked the concept art by Alex Ross for the Green Goblin. Minus the sword. It had the classic comic book look to it, but it also had something else- a scary and modern type of quality about it that I really dug.

^^^^
Makes sense to me. Plus fans of the comic would be wondering when classic foes and characters would show up. I was just a little concerned because it seemed like the Jason character came across like a male MJ to me and seemed too under-developed. Everything else was fine though, although Harry seems far too much like Lex from Smallville. He's Peter's age after all and I just don't see him running parts of his father's company just yet.

Note on Jason:

As for Jason, pretty sure you're referring to the PILOT episode- that scene will most likely change around. Best example is that he's just a regular friend, someone who's cool, popular- the complete opposite from Peter. Jason's the "cool" guy. There's going to be a great character arc that I can't exactly go into.... but, don't fear- it's not a male MJ.

________

The Osborn legacy

Yeah, it's a different take to the Osborn legacy. In this take, Harry is older than Peter, making Harry somewhat of an older brother. Though there is only a three year age difference, Harry is 18 years old. For me 18 allowed for Harry to still be relatively the same age as Peter, but also allow him to function inside of the business world due to his father's high standing and that his father taught him everything he knows about business.

My take on Harry is that it isn't really the goblin serum that drives him to becoming the Goblin (II). But, it is how he was raised and the severly traumatized psyche of the character. Being raised based on the principles of money and power. I would say the two best episodes that I wrote that show Harry in this light is MURDERWORLD and PERSUADE.

There is a whole history involving Norman and Harry that is really developed over the seasons and hints of it comes out in the first season, but there is ALOT more to it that unravels. Also, to this take it's important to have Harry be a part of the business world for what is to come up further on in the series. Even though part of it is an "else world's tale" (?) it is still the same old Harry.

About the Universe

I find that if a story is realistic to a point it's very easy to bring in science fiction elements and get away with it to a certain degree. Thus, in this world there are parallel dimensions, other worlds, etc. Allowing such characters as even Madame Web to make an appearance!

Also expect lots of Marvel cameos along the way. Using the world created and finding ways to link the cameos into the series, for instance, it is Oscorp that funds Reed Richard's space shuttle launch.

All in all. It takes in the classic material, the modern material, and adding some new material along with it. To give the universe a new, but familiar tone.

BUMP. Going to be buying a couple of these next time I'm in a comic book store. Going to look to see what graphic novel collections they are in. Thanks for all the tips. So, bump and looking for some more suggestions.

With the hit of 'Heroes', looks like other networks might finally take superhero television seriously. Which, in the future, would give me a serious leg up advantage. Not to mention Spidey's box office in regards to the boxoffice of Superman- which is awesome, yet frighteningly intimidating at the same time. But, I have a gut feeling that this is going to work.

Also, going to see if I could get Jeph Loeb as co-executive producer on the show. I know he executive produces both 'Heroes' and 'Lost', so to get him onboard would be a dream come true. Love his comics, especially his take on Batman. So, you never know. Also, going to aim to get Loeb and other Spidey comic readers on board to write a couple of episodes (Smallville has done this in the past).

stillanerd said:
Just to make a few comments/questions/suggestions Triligors. Having read some of your previous "episodes" I have to say that that some of what you've come up with is pretty good. However, I have a problem with the "Jason" character. While it's all right that Peter has a friend, might I suggest you substitute Mary Jane instead? Jason seems to have the "happy go-lucky party guy" aspect to him, so why not have the "happy go-lucky party girl?" And she can also be a bit of a tomboy, sort of a Peppermint Patty to Peter's Charlie Brown, although far more attractive. Likewise, MJ is in love with Peter but he only thinks of her as "just a friend," seeing how he's smitten with Gwen Stacy. Unless of course, you have plans on introducing MJ into a "sceond season." I'm sure you're thinking of having the classic scene where MJ shows up at Peter's door and says "Face it tiger. You hit the jackpot!"

Also, I understand why Doc Ock for a TV series would be difficult, although CGI effects could make it possible, although not as sophisticated as what we got in Spider-Man 2.

Anyway, I suggest for reading material, especially if your series is focused on the "Glory days" of Spider-Man, to read Essential Spider-Man Volumes 1-7, which gives you a lot of greats like the "If This Be My Destiny," "The Sinister Six," "Spider-Man No More," the introduction to many of Spidey's classic rogues and villains, and especially "The Night Gwen Stacy Died." Or, if you REALLY can't get enough, there's always the "40 Years of Spider-Man" on CD-Rom, which collects Amazing Fantasy #15, and every single issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #1 to #500.

Other reads I recommend are:
"Spider-Man:Blue"
"Nothing Stops the Juggernaut" (ASM #229-230)
"The Death of Jean DeWolff" (Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110)
"Kraven's Last Hunt" (a very dark story)
"Shadows of Evil's Past" (ASM #238-239)
"The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" (of course)
"Venom" (ASM #300)
Spectacular Spider-Man #200
*Cringe*
All good ideas until you said MJ should be a Pepperment Patty character.....Anyway, it's about time we got someone to take a serious look at making a Spider-man show. I don't know about the Jason idea, I mean you could use a character from the comics like Harry or Flash, and I would like to see MJ a lot sooner then 3rd or 4th season, but I really like where this is going. I remember reading a fan script from you earlier, and I thought it was great. Keep up the good work Triligors!

Are you the same guy who posted a script for something like this on the K-Site forums?

I'm actually working on a Spidey virtual series right now. Nothing that I plan to pitch to studio execs or anything, but something I hope turns out well. If you're the same guy from K-Site, I talked with you some about my project over there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"