Spider-Man Tournament: Best of the best and Worst of the Worst.

godisawesome

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, guys, this is a kind if Franchise War between the 6 Spider-Man films. The part one podcast, talking about the bottom 3 films of Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 and Spider-Man 3, is up. If you want to hear how the poll turned out, alongside some ranting about Venom and Andrew Garfield, go here: https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/642287-spider-man-tournament-the-bad-and-the-ugly.

Up next, we've got a showdown strictly between the top three films: the first two Raimi films and Homecoming. I'm asking everyone to vote again, since we had at least one or two people who voted one of the bottom three above that. We're going to do the second podcast next week.

Top three voting: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/zkwtrb/spider-man-movies-best-of-the-best

And, if you want to take another crack at the bottom three movies, or if you want to get in on the action after we're done, go here: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/jsawin/spider-man-films-best-of-the-worst

Submitted my picks.

1. Homecoming: the most fun and human portrayal of Spidey. You actually believe he's a nerdy teen who suddenly becomes a superhero. Sure, he's a complete screw up as a hero, but it's so much fun watching him try.

2. Spider man, my favorite from the Raimi films. Tobey is a likeable, though mopey Spider man, and the supporting cast are solid. I loved Dafoe's OTT goblin. Great fun.

3. Spider man 2. Personally I believe this film is overrated and the whole " will he/won't he" thing just felt like filler . Molina was great as Doc Ock, but sadly the writers couldn't figure out how to end his story arc - so he drowns an artificial sun in a river....which is right up there along with flying fast enough around the world to turn back time as worst solution to a plot manufactured problem ever ( but I still love Superman The movie).

Still, this doesn't ruin an otherwise good movie - but it shows that both of my above pics had better storylines, with less ridiculous endings.

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man - 7/10 - Some scenes seem dated if I watch it now but it's a good adaptation of the origin story with ground-breaking effects/action. Dafoe is still the best villain I've seen in a Spider-Man film. J.K. Simmons is perfect as Jameson. I'm not a huge fan of Maguire but he's still fine and so are the rest of the cast.

Spider-Man 2 - 7/10 - Great action and Molina's Octavius was another strong villain. Nice subplot with Harry Osborn hating Spider-Man. The Peter Parker side of things was the weakness of the film for me, again I'm not a huge fan of Maguire or Dunst and the losing his confidence/powers subplot was unnecessary.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6/10 -For me, it's a bad film full of redeeming features. Garfield's a great Spidey and an excellent Peter Parker as well. They nailed the web slinging scenes, they finally got Spidey's mid fight quips right and the action scenes/depiction of Spider sense are well done. Unfortunately those strengths are balanced out with unnecessary subplots about Peter's parents, a very weird take on Electro, a rushed/nonsensical take on Harry Osborn/Green Goblin and a lot of blatant setup for spin offs that never happened. Emma Stone's great too and there's a good adaptation of the death of Gwen Stacy buried somewhere in there.

Amazing Spider-Man - 6/10 - Again, Garfield and Stone have great chemistry but it takes suspension of disbelief to buy that they're still in high school. The writing's generally hit and miss. They were probably self conscious about rebooting so they rush through the origin story and kind of waste Martin Sheen. Villain wise the Lizard's nothing special, I think they messed up by not taking the Jekyll and Hyde approach and having Connors as a good man trapped in an out and out monster.

Spider-Man Homecoming - 6/10 - Kind of the opposite of ASM2, it's a well made film but I didn't like it. They went overboard with MCU connections and didn't give Spidey space to be his own hero. Can't say I liked how Peter needs advice from a Stark AI and saving by a Stark suit or Tony himself multiple times or the daft scene where he steals a car (no web slinging in the suburbs).
Between the rookie hero/Tony Stark mentor angle, the lack of Gwen/MJ/Harry and the Lego obsessed overweight Asian best friend it also felt like they put Peter into a Miles Morales adaptation.
Keaton does a good job but Vulture isn't one of my favourite Spidey rogues. Holland's well cast and actually the right age for the part so I am still looking forward to future films.

Spider-Man 3 - 3/10 - The symbiote-Peter dance is famously awful but it's just one of a lot of problems. Venom was shoehorned in against Raimi's wishes and it shows. Harry as the Goblin's all over the place and conveniently develops amnesia for a while/doesn't talk to his butler until it's time for a change of heart at the end. Uncle Ben's death gets retconned just to tie Sandman into the wider plot. Maguire and Dunst still aren't great. Credit where it's due though, Church's take on Sandman was actually really good.

Last edited:
FOr me, Spidey 1 was the best, then homecoming, then spidey 2, then amazing spidey 1, then spidey 3, and amazing spidey 2 pulling up last... I loved moleina in spidey 2, and felt he was a great pick for Doc Oc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"