Spider-Woman Rights

Mrs. Sawyer

Avenger
Reaction score
Does anyone know who has the rights to Spider-Woman? She's not part of the Spider-Man Universe, but maybe Sony got the rights to all Spider related characters?

So does anyone know if Marvel or Sony own the rights to Spider-Woman?

Sony got rights to Spider-Man related characters, not Spider-Related characters. Spider-Woman was created entirely separate from Spider-Man.

However in the Ultimate Comics, she's Peter Parker's clone, so IDK what that entails.

No idea. I've seen speculation that she could appear on Agents of SHIELD AND in Sony's Spider-man expanded cinematic universe, so it's unclear to me who has the rights to use the character.

If I had to guess, I would say Marvel has the rights because neither version of Spider-woman is intrinsically tied to Spider-man (to my understanding about their origins, powers, etc). But, perhaps the name alone means that Spider-woman would fall within Sony's licence? Or maybe it's similar to the Quicksilver situation and there's only certain aspects of the character that each studio can use?

Just my speculation, not cold hard fact: She's a Disney Princess, I don't think Sony has any justification to use any of that character's traditional (non-Peter clone related) versions of Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter. I'm betting Disney's army of lawyers out matches Sony anyway, if it ever came down to a challenge.

Why would she be a Disney Princess? I don't see her joining Rapunzel and other Disney princesses in the Disney Princess brand.

G'day,

I have been saying for some time if Marvel wanted to piss off Sony they would bring into the MCU Jessica Drew and the original Human torch Jim Hammond.

But wouldn't it be a matter of which Spider-Woman?

Jessica Drew has nothing to do with Peter Parker but Mattie Franklin certainly does.

ta

Ralph

Does anyone know who has the rights to Spider-Woman? She's not part of the Spider-Man Universe, but maybe Sony got the rights to all Spider related characters?

So does anyone know if Marvel or Sony own the rights to Spider-Woman?

G'day,

If they ever do Jessica Drew this should be her costume: (credit GeekTruth64 at Deviantart)

spider_woman_of_the_avengers_initiative_by_geektruth64-d62fam1.jpg

Ralph

Why would she be a Disney Princess? I don't see her joining Rapunzel and other Disney princesses in the Disney Princess brand.

.... just a weak attempt at what you Earthlings call humor. :oldrazz:

G'day,

I have been saying for some time if Marvel wanted to piss off Sony they would bring into the MCU Jessica Drew and the original Human torch Jim Hammond.

But wouldn't it be a matter of which Spider-Woman?

Jessica Drew has nothing to do with Peter Parker but Mattie Franklin certainly does.

ta

Ralph

Didn't Marvel already put the Original Human Torch into one of its movies? Captain America right? Can they call him Human Torch or is that off limits?

As said, Spider-Woman is not a Spider-Man character, so there's no reason to think she's with Spider-Man's rights.

There are two catches. First, because Spider-Woman is/will be perceived as a Spider-Man character, it's possible that they cannot market her as Spider-Woman, just as DC can't market Shazam as Captain Marvel.

Second, because Ultimate Spider-Woman is a Spider-Man character, particularly a clone of Peter Parker, she is a Spider-Man character. It's possible that Sony is allowed to use that version of the character, however, they are unlikely to do so.

Yeah, I'm not really liking the look. I want my comic book characters to kind of look like comic book characters. Everyone looking like they can run around in tactical jumpsuits get old.

I mean it makes sense for well established characters (Like WOlverine etc).

Put me down in the "Disney can probably use Jessica Drew, they just can't use the Spider-Woman name" column.

Jessica Carpenter, by contrast. . . is probably a legal rights black hole. She's named Spider-Woman, but she's a mutant who was a member of the Brotherhood for a while. Yikes.

Don't particularly care who has her, but I'd like to see a movie about her

She has been around forever! Plus there have been several comic issues where she has beaten guy heroes. I hope they add her as an Avenger in the Avenger: Earth's Mightiest Heroes in season 3 and have her guess appear in season 2! She rocks! :)

Well this is awkward...

I am a staunch proponent of the rights of Spider-Women.

Put me down in the "Disney can probably use Jessica Drew, they just can't use the Spider-Woman name" column.

Jessica Carpenter, by contrast. . . is probably a legal rights black hole. She's named Spider-Woman, but she's a mutant who was a member of the Brotherhood for a while. Yikes.

If you mean Julia Carpenter, she's not a mutant and she was never part of the Brotherhood.
She was part of Freedom Force, for like 2 issues, when they were a government sanctioned team, and she left them quickly during the mutant massacre storyline. But aside from her association with that team and her involvement in that storyline she has nothing to do with mutants.

Spider-Woman's not associated with Spider-Man officially. I doubt Sony has the rights.

I hope they don't. I want Drew to be in the MCU someday.

She has been around forever! Plus there have been several comic issues where she has beaten guy heroes. I hope they add her as an Avenger in the Avenger: Earth's Mightiest Heroes in season 3 and have her guess appear in season 2! She rocks! :)

That show is already canceled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"