Superman Returns SR news: Singer interview, little spoilers from the screening, and new pics

Ita-KalEl

Sidekick
Reaction score
----

Bryan Singer, director of Superman Returns, said that a fairly larger scene was cut from the beginning of the movie.

"I had this cut and it was time to test it with an audience and we had what I call 'a friends and family screening,' where a number of people sit there," Singer said Friday at the press junket for the film in Los Angeles. "And as I'm watching it, I looked at certain things in it and felt certain things. And one of those (concerns) was really tough, because it was a return to Krypton sequence, a whole sequence in space, a very expensive and elaborate sequence.

"But in the context of this movie, it just wasn't necessary and it wasn't important. And it could live on afterwards. It could live in some other dimension.

"We could show it in 3D. It would be amazing in 3D. It could exist in the future.

"But in the context of the movie, that and a few other pieces just were not ... and you feel in the audience, and you know it. You just look at friends, and you sit down and look for straight answers from friends you trust. And then you say, 'OK, boom, boom, boom!" and those 15 minutes or 20 minutes came out like (snaps fingers), 'No problem.'"

Singer said that he completed the scene and it might end up on the Superman Returns DVD. "There's some very elegant things in there," he said.

Even with the cut, Superman Returns still is the longest film in terms of running time Singer has made.

"I don't desire to have exceedingly long movies," Singer said. "I've never made exceedingly long movies."

In other Superman Returns notes:

* Warner Bros. has released a new batch of stills from the movie. Click on the thumbnails for larger and fuller images.

* The film's opening credits are done in the same style as Superman: The Movie, with the hollow blue type moving across the screen.

* Producer Jon Peters, who had tried to develop a Superman film for more than a decade, on hearing Singer's idea for Superman Returns: "I remember getting goose bumps and feeling 'Wow...that is right on the money. The story is contemporary, emotional, action-packed and a love story, too. It hits all the bases that we want in a Superman movie."

* Frank Langella, who plays Perry White, said the time was right for Superman to return in a film version. "He's coming back at a time when people have a real need, I think, to sit there for a couple of hours with a big box of popcorn and a soda and have someone sweep them off their feet again."

* Noel Neill, who played Lois Lane in the 1950's Superman series, plays Gertrude Vanderworth, an heiress that falls prey to Lex Luthor's scheming ways.

* Look for much more on Superman Returns on Saturday and throughout the weekend here in The Continuum.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0606/09/index.htm
---

Ita-KalEl said:
* Producer Jon Peters, who had tried to develop a Superman film for more than a decade, on hearing Singer's idea for Superman Returns: "I remember getting goose bumps and feeling 'Wow...that is right on the money. The story is contemporary, emotional, action-packed and a love story, too. It hits all the bases that we want in a Superman movie.

I swear...As soon as I read this I wanted to find that dude and choke him:ghost:

I cannot believe his audacity. I simply cannot believe it. This is more proof the man had NO idea what the F to do with Superman.

charl_huntress said:
I swear...I soon as I read this I wanted to find that dude and choke him

Exactly my thoughts. Hes a very big reason with why it took so long to get a New Superman Movie

Death to Peters

(waits for Matt to come & try to defend Peters again)

charl_huntress said:
I swear...I soon as I read this I wanted to find that dude and choke him:ghost:

I cannot believe his audacity. I simply cannot believe it. This is more proof the man had NO idea what the F to do with Superman.

So we have to thank Mr Peters :o
LOL :D

MoviesKickAss said:

What annoys me is it seems (because we don't know actual facts) that EVERY script that ever came before him got the same thumbs up seal. I hate that his name is attached to SR because it fuels the naysayers.

Frankly, I have to believe that anyone who styled Babs the way she looked in the past is a ****ing idiot. Why didn't you choose a style that didn't highlight her huge nose? I mean, I know that's not an easy task, but it is possible.

He goes from bad hairdresser to something else involving huge spiders and polar bears (if Smith is to be believed). Wild Wild West was junk, and I'm sure he got goosebumps from that too.

Man...I so dislike this dude. EVERY single comment I've ever read from him validates pretty much everything, everyone on the web and elsewhere has ever said about him. He's a ****ing leech who attaches himself to big projects.

The film's opening credits are done in the same style as Superman: The Movie, with the hollow blue type moving across the screen.

Fabulous.:up:

charl_huntress said:
What annoys me is it seems (because we don't know actual facts) that EVERY script that ever came before him got the same thumbs up seal. I hate that his name is attached to SR because it fuels the naysayers.

Frankly, I have to believe that anyone who styled Babs the way she looked in the past is a ****ing idiot. Why didn't you choose a style that didn't highlight her huge nose? I mean, I know that's not an easy task, but it is possible.

He goes from bad hairdresser to something else involving huge spiders and polar bears (if Smith is to be believed). Wild Wild West was junk, and I'm sure he got goosebumps from that too.

Man...I so dislike this dude. EVERY single comment I've ever read from him validates pretty much everything, everyone on the web and elsewhere has ever said about him. He's a ****ing leech who attaches himself to big projects.

Be on the look out of a user named Matt later today in this Thread. He shall defend Peters with all his might !!!!!!!!!!!!

MoviesKickAss said:
Be on the look out of a user named Matt later today in this Thread. He shall defend Peters with all his might !!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think that I used hold Matt in high regard.:(

MoviesKickAss said:
Exactly my thoughts. Hes a very big reason with why it took so long to get a New Superman Movie

Death to Peters

(waits for Matt to come & try to defend Peters again)

...but if he hadn't we might not have the movie we have today, we might have had Nic Cage with the borg costume and Tim Burton.

I'm glad it was delayed to be done right.

charl_huntress said:
I swear...As soon as I read this I wanted to find that dude and choke him:ghost:

Haha... I couldn't believe what I read when I saw it.

I just kept thinking back to when he allegedly said he didn't want Supers to wear his costume because he'd look like a ***...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"