Star Trek: Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuller not being showrunner kills this for me.

I like Fuller but maybe not as much as some. I actually felt some of his work on Voyager was okay but not as good as the work on DS9( (which I think he did mainly Voyager was the show he primarily did for Trek).I just felt Voyager overall was the weakest of the Trek series outside of the first few seasons of Enterprise, not that it was all his doing but I felt Ron Moore was the chosen one with Trek back in those days. But Hannibal was amazing.

I still think/hope with him involved albeit a lesser capacity, it will be a great show. I think it still has the potential for that, especially since Fuller's fingerprints is still over most of season 1 since most of the scripts are completed.

Brannon Braga was re-writing everyone on Voyager. That show was not a true barometer of Fuller's talent.

I also have a hard time believing that Akiva Goldsman is going to take a backseat to those two unknowns on such an expensive show. I think he'll be the driving force behind the show moving forward. That's just my take on it.

14708152_10154650370171617_5850212188110703708_n.jpg

Fuller not being showrunner kills this for me.

Same. I was stoked when I read that Fuller was heading this new series and each season will be set in different future time period.

Then it's announced that the series will be another prequel series and the lead character will be known as merely 'Number One'. Now Fuller is stepping back.

As a big Trek fan, I'm not feeling excited anymore. To be honest, I wish we had gotten a Star Trek: Titan series years ago that followed Captain Riker on his adventures.

Brannon Braga was re-writing everyone on Voyager. That show was not a true barometer of Fuller's talent.

Never said it was a "true" barometer, but personally I still don't care for everything Fuller has done. But again I liked Hannibal. Not as much as some but it was good. But to me Moore was still someone I'm hoping they get to write some scripts in the future.

Never said it was a "true" barometer, but personally I still don't care for everything Fuller has done. But again I liked Hannibal. Not as much as some but it was good. But to me Moore was still someone I'm hoping they get to write some scripts in the future.
The only thing that would excite me about this franchise at this point is Ron Moore's return. No one writes Trek better than him.

It would be great to see him write some more, but I'm still excited what they may be able to do. This is not death and doom to the show just yet. It will be interesting to see if anyone comes back to this thread if it's the show gets good reviews. :o If it sucks, oh well, I'll wait for the next go round.

This, Deadpool 2 loses Tim Miller...next thing you know, one of the Russo Brothers is leaving Infinity War over whose name comes first in the credits.

I think with Fuller still involved it's clear he will push to make these guys run the show. It's why I'm not really running for the hills yet.
Maybe he'll push for it but if he's been outmaneuvered there's no way of telling how much pull he's got. They may end up being figureheads.

I guess the bottom line is we have to wait for the actual episodes but now the postponing of the show makes more sense. It looks like trouble in paradise.

there are plenty of wanring signs for this show

1;STart date pushed back
2:No casting anounced yet
3:Now fuller leaving.

4: Expensive budget
5: American release through a pay service nobody wants

Yeah...

Many shows are delayed, that’s not something that automatically indicates “bad”. Game of Thrones, and even recently Westworld was delayed again and again. I remember all the doom and gloom about Westworld, now you hear no one talking about that. Or Game of Thrones recasting everyone and reshooting the pilot. I’m sure there are more examples of those kind of situations. Could it be a bad situation, yes, that is the case with any project no matter what.

Having an expensive budget does not equate to a negative either, does the CBS access thing suck? Yes. But again that does not have much bearing on the show. Actually if anything it would be the opposite because they want people to buy that service and they are putting their eggs in making one really good show that will bring people in. However, I think from a financial/business sense that may backfire on them.

Not having a cast announced yet is not really a big deal. I remember with TFA people freaked because no cast was officially announced until a few weeks before actual shooting.

Fuller is not “fully” leaving either. Also he has put in charge his “Number One’s” that have worked with him for years in the past.

I don’t have a crystal ball, and I understand some of the concern, but the doom and gloom this project is going to fail, I just don’t think I see enough out there to make me worry yet.

The delay in itself isn't necessarily a problem but the delay did not occur in a vacuum. You compile everything so far, especially the part where they are restricting it to a dead end streaming service and the probability of this being a success and making it past one season are low.

(Mostly) Losing Fuller is just a capper to the already troubled problems this series has already suffered from.

I want a good Star Trek series. Fuller might have delivered on that. Maybe not but he's been mostly relieved of showrunning it. Now they have to delay the series because of his lessened involvement and the inevitable retooling that comes with that.

Who knows whether or not this series is even going to get filmed at this point.

The delay was over a month ago, and really about making sure the SFX were up to snuff. Is that true or not, that’s something hard to tell on either side. I know lots on the internet jump to “worst case scenario” but I think it’s not very black and white as most things are not. Them restricting it to CBS Access even though I hate the way they are doing it, to me means the opposite, they know they need one incredible show, like HBO, or like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon to compete with the new streaming services. They need a homerun. Will it make it past season 1? I think so, but I have a feeling they may either drop it on CBS Access, or like the rest of the world actually just put it on Netflix and make a deal with them. So compiling the way they are distributing the show does not necessarily mean “The show is doomed”. Actually I would say they are throwing all their money at this show because they know they need something to stand up against, Daredevil, Westworld, American Gods, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things etc etc.

I hate the CBS Access too, but in my view it has nothing to do with the indication of this show being bad. Even if it is. I think they know it’s ride or die with this show. So I’m sure they are not taking that lightly.

Funny thing is I was trusting this against my instincts. It is after all a CBS show and not POI. Fuller was the difference. Now he isn't. So things that would usually be a bad sign, I ignored.

Last edited:
The delay was over a month ago, and really about making sure the SFX were up to snuff. Is that true or not, that’s something hard to tell on either side. I know lots on the internet jump to “worst case scenario” but I think it’s not very black and white as most things are not. Them restricting it to CBS Access even though I hate the way they are doing it, to me means the opposite, they know they need one incredible show, like HBO, or like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon to compete with the new streaming services. They need a homerun. Will it make it past season 1? I think so, but I have a feeling they may either drop it on CBS Access, or like the rest of the world actually just put it on Netflix and make a deal with them. So compiling the way they are distributing the show does not necessarily mean “The show is doomed”. Actually I would say they are throwing all their money at this show because they know they need something to stand up against, Daredevil, Westworld, American Gods, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things etc etc.

I hate the CBS Access too, but in my view it has nothing to do with the indication of this show being bad. Even if it is. I think they know it’s ride or die with this show. So I’m sure they are not taking that lightly.

The stuff about the SFX always smelled like ********.

Michelle Yeoh as the series lead and female Lieutenant Commander/ Number One? I don't find that very appealing. I wouldn't mind her being the Captain, but don't find her interesting enough to follow as the lead. I was hoping for someone a bit younger and greener. Michelle Yeoh is 54. She seems too old for Lieutenant Cmdr and seems like she should be commanding her own starship instead. She looks older than someone like Ming Na on AoS.

Kate Mulgrew was only in her early 40s when she was Captain of the Voyager. Why should Michelle Yeoh only be Lt Cmdr?

Last edited:
I like Michelle Yeoh in this, and there's no indication that she's the lead character at this point. Even if there is, is that really a big deal? She doesn't look like how most of us picture a 54-year-old woman, and in a futuristic meritocracy, people don't get to be starship captains just because of their age, otherwise there'd be like a zillion starship captains out there.

Michelle Yeoh as the captain would be great. She has the gravitas and character to fit in with Kirk and Piccard and the other captains from the old series.

That is some god damn great news to start casting with. I love it.

I wish that she'd get to play a captain. But still, great choice talent-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"