Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot

Salem's Lot Footage Reaction: This Stephen King Adaptation Looks Scary As Hell [CinemaCon 2022]

The director noted that it's important to him that the scares in the new "Salem's Lot" feel as grounded as the novel on which it's based, and to make vampires feel scary by highlighting their humanness. The first footage reflects just that. In it, a group of people walk through a foggy wooded area in search of something–or someone. "You don't think there's a chance he's still out there somewhere?" a woman asks. "Not if history tells us anything," Bill Camp's Matt Burke answers.

As the group notes that the town has fallen prey to more than one mysterious disappearance, the camera cuts to a man digging a grave in the dark. This gives way to snapshots of the chaos that's about to befall Jerusalem's Lot, Maine. A young kid with glasses wanders into the middle of the street, covered in blood. A resident is attacked from behind by an unseen silhouette. Then, finally, we get a good look at these vampires.

The first footage of the creatures stalking "Salems Lot" is impressive. We see a vampire on fire, a vampire facing down a priest, and a vampire hidden in a dark, closet-like space, inches from Matt and the aforementioned kid. The most indelible sequence, though, shows the sudden, frightening appearance of tons of vampires via a tricky pan shot. The camera focuses on a man running down the street alone, then the camera quickly pans away as someone calls his name. When it pans back, the street is suddenly swarming with vampires. It's a great, classic-feeling horror movie scare.

Like I said on the last page, I’d be shocked if this teaser doesn’t hit soon, considering the time-frame of the first IT teaser.

Get this sucker online WB!

I hope this crushes like the first IT!

Release a trailer, damn it!
Yeah, between this, Halloween Ends, and Samaritan, we have 3 major movies that should've gotten teaser trailers by now. Really don't know what's going on. Hell, shouldn't Halloween have it's teaser this week with Black Phone?

Lewis Pullman Interview: Press Play

You're doing Salem's Lot, or you have just done it.

Lewis Pullman: I'm doing reshoots right now.

What's it like to take on Stephen King and join the world of vampires?

Lewis Pullman: Talk about scary for two reasons! Because it's Stephen King, and the legacy is strong for a reason. And then also the material.

Salem's Lot is just one of the coolest books, and I think there's a reason why it hasn't been made into a feature. It's been made into these two-part series, but it's such a long book. It's hard to condense that into a feature length film, but [writer-director] Gary Dauberman has really tapped into the vein of this genre. It feels like he has liberty to play with it a little bit and reinvent it.

It's really exciting Ito bring vampires back. They've become a little bit sparkly and not so scary. When they originated, they were terrifying. I think Gary's really keen on bringing that back, and I think [Salem's Lot] is going to do it. I've been genuinely terrified on the set multiple times, so that's a good sign. I think he did a great job.

This book seems interesting. Never read a King book before.
The first time I read it, I was alone at night in the mountains of Santa Cruz. It was probably 20 miles from town and I will confess that I was not very comfortable. I don’t freak out easily, and didn’t then, but it’s not something that I would recommend doing.

The first time I read it, I was alone at night in the mountains of Santa Cruz. It was probably 20 miles from town and I will confess that I was not very comfortable. I don’t freak out easily, and didn’t then, but it’s not something that I would recommend doing.

Geez talk about blast from the past. :funny: I've read it since but unlike you, I was on a bus in the daytime when I read the delivery of the coffin in the basement scene and it still really scared me.

Geez talk about blast from the past. :funny: I've read it since but unlike you, I was on a bus in the daytime when I read the delivery of the coffin in the basement scene and it still really scared me.

Oh you mean the scene where the movers bring the crate to the Marsten House? That scene still creeps me out. The raw terror those movers experience going into the basement feels so real.

James Mason was the S***! What an actor. The Verdict is a great rewatch, but he was just terrific.

Oh you mean the scene where the movers bring the crate to the Marsten House? That scene still creeps me out. The raw terror those movers experience going into the basement feels so real.

Yup that one. King really tapped into that fear you get when you go into a dark place and think there's something waiting to get you and want to get the hell out of there.

Salem’s Lot Poster?
Posted: June 27, 2022, 21:34:54
Section: Film » Salem's Lot
On August 2nd Penguin Books will release a new paperback edition of Salem’s Lot with a movie tie-in cover. Not sure if it’s the same as the poster for the movie but probably.

Order your copy here.

5c1c2da4-9bad-4722-9c0c-1e16a3.jpg

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2022]

Nice. I love the look of the Marsten House.

Figured as much from the set photos awhile back. It’s a good choice, I think.

I like that. I mean the book was written in the 70's.

...only reason I wish it was at least taking place in the 90's / I've always have dreamed for Mansion On The Hill to be played within a 'Salem's Lot adaptation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"