Steve McQueen's 'Widows'

Great story, great performances, probably about 25 minutes too long. There were a ton of scenes that were really nice and provided some character depth, but weren't really necessary to the story. And since this was a lot slower-paced than the trailers made it seem, it would have benefitted from being trimmed down a little.

I liked it, but its definitely over hyped by the critics. I think the biggest issue I had with this movie is the fact that it tries to do way too much when it should have just been a straightforward heist flick. It's fine if you want to talk about race relations and politics, but it didn't feel all that necessary here and by the time it got to the middle portion I was honestly kind of losing interest in it. It also doesn't help that it feels so much longer than its 2 hour 9 minute running time either. The performances across the board are pretty great though, especially Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debecki, Colin Farrell, Robert Duvall and Brian Tyree Henry.

I also enjoyed what they did with Liam Neeson's character in this, but I wish Carrie Coon was in it more to make those scenes work better.

7/10

My emotions were all over the place after this movie. I'll have to agree that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. There were some pretty intense moments but I found myself a little restless and ready for the movie to end.

I do wonder if that ending was a set up for a potential sequel.

The biggest issue IMO is Colin Farrell’s subplot. Way too much time is spent on him for what he actually has to do with the main plotline.

I liked it overall but agree it felt a little too long. More time should have been spent with the actual widows and their relationship as the 4 leads had good chemistry.

But I feel like they didn’t resolve the subplot of the money owed.

Did she pay him back? If so, wouldn’t he have been pissed that she killed his brother?

Also, wouldn’t there be an investigation as to who really killed Harry?

I watched this On Demand, never got around to seeing in theaters, despite my interest.

Solid movie- fantastic performances, elegant yet tonal cinematography, and lots of genuine emotion within the story.

I wish the actual heist was a larger point of the narrative, seems to just comes across as , oh yeah, we need the robbery section. It was good because the characterizations got more room to breathe but there was a bit too much going on that ends up feeling hollow.

I am a fan of Gillian Flynn but her writing was about as subtle as C-4. I like social commentary in my movies but it seemed a bit vapid, particularly the portions with Colin Farrell and Duvall.

Still a really good movie, wish it were a neo-classic but due to the muddled nature and goofy writing at times. Most of the male characters were very one dimensional in an otherwise nuanced film

...still thinking about that one-shot on the hood of the car, driving from one type of neighborhood to another; in real-deal Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"