Steven Spielberg and Javier Bardem to take on Montezuma and Cortez

Wow, this could be really good. It's an interesting story and the combo of Spielberg and Bardem should make it epic.

So, assuming that Bardem is playing Cortez (he is Spanish after all) then who should play Montezuma? Spielberg+historical epic=I'm there.

I hope they treat the material seriously and don't just make it about the poor, innocent Aztecs against the evil, mustache-twirling Spaniards.

That's kind of what happened though. Whatever you think of the Aztec culture or this religious practices, the simple fact is that the Spanish came into their home, burned it to the ground, slaughtered most of them, enslaved most of the survivors, and their motivation ultimately was greed. You can have dimension and complexity, but you need to show that horror if your going to do this story justice.

So this film is actually going to have an actual Hispanic actor playing a Hispanic?

That's just madness.

:o

Oooh definitely excited for this one.

That's kind of what happened though. Whatever you think of the Aztec culture or this religious practices, the simple fact is that the Spanish came into their home, burned it to the ground, slaughtered most of them, enslaved most of the survivors, and their motivation ultimately was greed. You can have dimension and complexity, but you need to show that horror if your going to do this story justice.

The Aztecs were a vicious empire that were conquered in large part by the Mesoamerican tribes that they had brutally oppressed and thus threw their support behind the Spaniards.

The main battle consisted of about 1300 Spaniards and 200,000 natives on the Allied side.

There were no good guys here. Moctezuma himself was probably killed by his own people.

Basically there are two versions of the events that are usually told:

1) A few hundred Spaniards conquered the huge Aztec empire, thus proving the superiority of the white man.
2) The peaceful, honorable yet naive Aztecs were backstabbed by the greedy, brutal Spanish Horde and fell to treachery.

Neither of those are accurate.

Last edited:
Yeah. The Aztecs were really vicious. I hope the movie portrays both sides for what they actually were.

So, assuming that Bardem is playing Cortez (he is Spanish after all) then who should play Montezuma? Spielberg+historical epic=I'm there.

Michael Fassbender
Idris Elba
Benedict Cumberbatch

:o

I hope they treat the material seriously and don't just make it about the poor, innocent Aztecs against the evil, mustache-twirling Spaniards.

The article mentions that the movie is from Cortez's point of view.

Hopefully this will be titled Montezuma's Revenge.

Yeah. The Aztecs were really vicious. I hope the movie portrays both sides for what they actually were.

Which great civilization wasn't? What the Spanish did to them and others in S.America was genocide. Everyone is guilty. :o

I did like Apocalypto.

I really hope this is actually his next film. Instead of all of these projects he's lined up to direct, I'd be nice to see a definite one.

^ The robot movie wasn't just rumored, it was fully scripted and a cast had been chosen but he tabled it.

I wanted to see that because it would have been nice to see Spielberg go back to sci fi adventure which he's excellent at. I love Spielberg and his biopics but we just got Lincoln.

Yeah, I think Spielberg should step away from his dramas, and start making action movies again. I'm assuming this will have a good amount of action.

I wanted to see that because it would have been nice to see Spielberg go back to sci fi adventure which he's excellent at. I love Spielberg and his biopics but we just got Lincoln.

Spielberg seems to be spending this phase of his career doing one John Ford-esque film after another, so he needs to hurry up and make a goddamn western. :o

Now there's an idea...

Or do Indy 5. One or the other I'd be fine with.

While Drew Goddard is a pretty good screen writer, the source material for Robopocalypse was kind of crap, had some interesting ideas though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"