Steven Spielberg's The Post Starring Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep

Looks like a expertly made Spielberg film. He's gotten to the point like Ridley Scott where the man has made so many movies where he's just like clock work at this point.

Seems like another "Lions for Lambs"

Gather alot of "A" listers to act their hearts out

Looks cut from the same cloth as Bridge of Spies.

That also put me to sleep.

I don't know what it is about Spielberg's recent Oscar bait pics (War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies) that don't click with me. Most of them are based-on-true-events and it's not really challenging him as an artist. He could do these in his sleep by now.

However, seeing another director (like Paul Thomas Anderson) direct The Post would be something.

That also put me to sleep.

I don't know what it is about Spielberg's recent Oscar bait pics (War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies) that don't click with me. Most of them are based-on-true-events and it's not really challenging him as an artist. He could do these in his sleep by now.

However, seeing another director (like Paul Thomas Anderson) direct The Post would be something.

When was the last time 'Oscar bait' wasn't used frivolously to describe any kind of dramatic film?

At his age, Spielberg is more interested in doing these types of historical dramas. Lincoln is a great film, Bridge of Spies was good and War Horse was a nice throwback to old John Ford movies.

While you can argue Munich (one of his best films) was the last time Spielberg stepped outside of his comfort zone, his recent fare would be career peaks for most working directors in Hollywood.

And for the record, Spielberg has made cloying oscar bait films before (Amistad comes to mind, which I still like).

With Lincoln and Bridge of Spies, Spielberg has shown remarkable restraint. I hope he does the same thing with The Post.

I'm gonna have to wait for the Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara for ballsy Spielberg though. He's reuniting with Tony Kushner for that one.

Last edited:
When was the last time 'Oscar bait' wasn't used frivolously to describe any kind of dramatic film?

At his age, Spielberg is more interested in doing these types of historical dramas. Lincoln is a great film, Bridge of Spies was good and War Horse was a nice throwback to old John Ford movies.

While you can argue Munich (one of his best films) was the last time Spielberg stepped outside of his comfort zone, his recent fare would be career peaks for most working directors in Hollywood.

And for the record, Spielberg has made cloying oscar bait films before (Amistad comes to mind, which I still like).

With Lincoln and Bridge of Spies, Spielberg has shown remarkable restraint. I hope he does the same thing with The Post.

I'm gonna have to wait for the Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara for ballsy Spielberg though. He's reuniting with Tony Kushner for that one.

:up:

He's at an age now where he makes the films that suit him. He's a grandfather now. An older man. So he's going to make more those type of films. Though Spielberg I don't think is never one to remain complacent. He's always tried to challenge himself. Ready Player One is coming in March. And he's got Indy V, which probably isn't the best idea for aforementioned reasons. But I'm sure he'll do something interesting with that.

There is nothing wrong with a filmmaker who is constantly at the top of his game and executes it exactly like it should and never makes a bad movie. This is what happens when you're that good and always good. It comes off as the same old, when in actuality, this is how it should be for every filmmaker and movie made in this industry. The man has incredible instincts and when you combine that with his experience, you get this.

Social media embargo ended

24130018_10155996210616617_7152686766638245123_n.jpg

23915829_10155996227151617_7718833347452304822_n.jpg

24068241_10155996229986617_9086985000799726525_n.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I am going to overload on films again. Sort of got burnt out this summer.

But between The Disaster List, The Post, The Greatest Showman, The Shape of Water, maybe even Jumanji, a ton of potential great films to see.

Oh, and add in a half dozen showings of Star Wars.

if it's being compared to munich, then im definitely all in

That's some good ass comparisons.

****, I forgot about this movie. Never mind. This movie is gonna be the frontrunner for the Oscars if not win Best Picture. It's got Oscar written all over it.

At this point, it's redundant to hail Spielberg’s direction or Hank’s Performance or Streep’s performance because they’re a trifecta of brilliance.

One of the most interesting things about the movie is how the film depicts journalists and the people who run the newsroom for they are practically spies. Seriously, a lot of the first half of this movie is the Washington Post sending their people out to other news sources to check out the competition. Spielberg has news reporting into an espionage game. He makes this similar to “Bridge of Spies,” and some of that film’s cast appears in this as well.

The thing that adds complexity to this story is Kay Graham and Ben Bradlee and their friendships with previous people in office. One of the best lines noted from the film is when Ben says, “There was a time where people of the press and the president worked hand in hand.” Before getting to where they are in accordance with the time this takes place, Graham and Bradlee were once actually close friends with presidents before they became presidents. Bradlee was close to JFK and Graham was friends with JFK, LBJ, and other important names in Washington. But after JFK's assassination, the press was in arms with whoever ran the oval office of course Nixon didn't pay play for a second.

The well informed detailed screenwriting writing by Josh Singer and Liz Hannah is brilliantly decided to make elements of this story feel whole. Singer who is known best for being 1/2 of the screenwriting duo behind 2015’s Best Picture winner “Spotlight,’ you can tell wrote the moments of intensity where it deals with these characters going out to find the Pentagon Papers and fighting for the freedom of the press. Its nature of fighting for truth and justice is very reminiscent of "Spotlight," and that is done through Singer. Hannah is EVERYTHING ELSE! This is Hannah’s first feature film that she single-handedly wrote, and the passion she put into this script is really there. From the characters to the message to the procedure of obtaining the papers: this is all Hannah. Read several articles about her underdog story of how she got her script to be directed by Spielberg and it will move and inspire you to write your story.

We’ve seen Streep at every variation from confident to vulnerable to weak to strong. This is a character that is full of life but at the same time full of inner conflict as she questions whether to run the Pentagon Papers story or not and this performance she gives is incredible. It is a journey to self-discovery as we see her go out of her way to risk the reputation of the company vs. what she believes is right. By God, Streep has a scene where she delivers a speech of triumph, and I challenge you not to scream YAS QWEEN by the time it ended of it because I know I did, and so did five other people in my theater. And this was at a guild screening. Shoot you will turn into to the Meryl Streep meme to Meryl Streep.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

FULL REVIEW HERE: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-post-review

Can not wait to see this one...Spielberg & Hanks = best director / actor duo in hollywood, imo....Saving Pvt Ryan, Terminal, Catch Me if you Can, and Bridge of Spies. Loved all of them...SPR was of course the best.

I was surprised at how fun this film was, it wasn't dry or stodgy at all. Probably Spielberg's breeziest film since Catch me if you Can. His blocking of the frame and camera moves (in live action) hasn’t been this good since Munich.

And Streep is actually really good too! lmao at Tom Hanks voice though, sounded like he was doing a Christian Bale batman impression

I was surprised at how fun this film was, it wasn't dry or stodgy at all. Probably Spielberg's breeziest film since Catch me if you Can. His blocking of the frame and camera moves (in live action) hasn’t been this good since Munich.

And Streep is actually really good too! lmao at Tom Hanks voice though, sounded like he was doing a Christian Bale batman impression

Sold.

This is easily my favorite Spielberg film since Munich. It sounds strange but I was actually surprised by Meryl Streep in this film - I'd gotten so used to her playing all these brash, strong-willed women, I was totally caught off-guard by her first scenes in this film realizing she's playing a character who's afraid to speak up, speak her mind and stand up for herself. But I loved it because it made the moment she [blackout]she finally made a decision for herself, ignoring the council of even her most trusted advisor[/blackout] that much more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"