Subway Superman Threads Merged

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
I am sure most people heard of the "Subway Superman" yesterday (here is a link to the story if you did not), today he was rewarded by the student's university and given the day off from his job. What a good story :up:

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...r/20070103091809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

New York Cheers Subway Rescuer
Commuter Saves Man From Oncoming Train
By Rick Hampson
USA Today
NEW YORK (Jan. 4) - A day after he jumped into the path of a subway train to save the life of a stranger, Wesley Autrey got a $5,000 reward, a day off and universal acclaim in a city where you supposedly don't speak to people you don't know, let alone rescue them. "I just tried to do the right thing," said the 50-year-old Harlem construction worker.

Hero Gets Reward, Fame

"It ain't about being a hero, it was just being there and helping the next person. That's all I did."

On Tuesday afternoon Autrey leaped down from a subway station platform after Cameron Hollopeter, 20, apparently suffered a seizure and fell between the tracks.

Autrey had to leave his two daughters, ages 4 and 6, on the platform. It was that, he said, or have the girls see a man run over by a subway train.

Down on the tracks, Autrey saw a train's headlights in the tunnel. He shoved the disoriented student into the only space where they had a chance to survive — the shallow, grimy drainage trough between the tracks.

The train passed over them, with about 2 inches' clearance. Autrey later showed reporters grease stains on his wool hat that he said came from the train's undercarriage.

On Wednesday Autrey got the day off from work at a Brooklyn construction site and visited the New York Film Academy, where Hollopeter is a student.

"We don't have a red carpet, but we gave him a red carpet reception," said Anita Tovich, one of Hollopeter's professors. Jerry Sherlock, director of the school, presented Autrey with a check for $5,000.

The school also promised Autrey's daughters scholarships to the school when they're older.

"Here and all over the world, people are struck by this unselfish, heroic act," Sherlock said. "With so much evil in the world, it gives everyone hope."

"You're one in a million," he told Autrey, "and this is your 15 minutes of fame."

The city's tabloids celebrated Autrey. "SUBWAY ANGEL'S DAREDEVIL LEAP" headlined the New York Post. The Daily News hailed the "SUBWAY SUPERMAN." Autrey is scheduled to be on network news programs this morning and CBS' Late Show with David Letterman tonight.

Autrey gave this account: He was in the station in upper Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon when Hollopeter, also waiting on the platform, seemed to collapse during a seizure. Autrey used a pen to get Hollopeter's tongue out of his throat. Hollopeter stood up, then staggered and fell between the tracks.

As the train neared, Autrey pinned Hollopeter in the trough by lying on top of him, face to face. But the student kept struggling. "Don't move!" Autrey said. "Or one of us is going to lose a leg."

Subway car brakes screeched. One car passed overhead, then a second. Then came silence, followed by the wailing from the platform of his daughters, who'd just seen their father run over.

"We're OK," Autrey yelled to bystanders on the platform. "I got two daughters up there. Let 'em know their father's OK!"

"Who are you?" asked Hollopeter.

"Someone who saved your life," replied Autrey.

They waited 20 minutes until technicians turned off power on the subway's high-voltage third rail and were helped out.

Hollopeter remained hospitalized Wednesday in stable condition, recovering from cuts and bruises.

A relative, Jeff Friedman, told reporters that although Hollopeter is quite talented, "even he couldn't write the screenplay any better."

Contributing: The Associated Press

Copyright 2007 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.
2007-01-03 09:18:25

I had mixed feelings when I heard this. On the one hand, what he did was great and noble. On the other, he almost got himself killed in front of his two little girls.

That's something right out of a movie. It's not supposed to happen in real life!

Still cool, though.

Teared up when I heard about this, what a guy!:heart:

i wonder if the guy looked anything like this
KingdomCome_ClarkKent.jpg

I saw this guy explaining what he did on CNN, but he kept "demonstrating" what he'd done using the interviewer. He was bearhugging her and stuff, it was really creepy and vaguely cop-a-feel-y:dry:

Of course, I guess it's a sign that my mind has been poisoned with cynicism, because I always suspect in cases like this that the "hero" somehow only did what he did by "accident", like the guy just fell on top of the other guy after he fell or something.

So you're a cynic and a perv... :huh:

USMC said:
So you're a cynic and a perv... :huh:

I never said it was hot.

I said it was creepy.

And a little hot. But shutup.

I suppose in a town who no one does nothing for anyone,when someone does what anyone should do,people make a big deal over it.

i never heard of this so when i read the title i tohugh it was a guy dressed as supes in a subway resteraunt lol

Jourmugand said:
I suppose in a town who no one does nothing for anyone,when someone does what anyone should do,people make a big deal over it.

This is a tad bit more impressive than helping some old lady cross the road.

Almost renews my faith in humanity.

Bats I can certainly see where you're coming from. He kissed the dudes dad during an interview cause the father was tearing up,I felt bad for thinking the same as you. :huh:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New Yorker dubbed "Subway Superman" received the city's highest civic award on Thursday after pinning down a stricken stranger on subway tracks just enough to allow an oncoming train to run over the top of them.

Wesley Autrey, 50, jumped onto the subway tracks at a station in Manhattan's Harlem neighbourhood on Tuesday to help Cameron Hollopeter, who had suffered a seizure and fallen.

Autrey held down Hollopeter's convulsing body in the track bed as the train passed just centimetres above them. Both were uninjured, but Hollopeter, 20, remains in hospital undergoing tests to discover what caused his seizure.

Autrey, whose knitted cap was brushed with grease and dirt from the train passing overhead, played down his daring act as he accepted the Bronze Medallion -- for exceptional citizenship and outstanding achievement -- from Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"You see somebody in distress, you help out," Autrey told a news conference, as he was flanked by his 4- and 6-year-old daughters, who had watched their father jump onto the subway tracks. "I was just in the right place at the right time."

While Bloomberg called Autrey a "true hero" and the New York Post newspaper dubbed him the "Subway Superman," the construction worker -- who went to work as normal after the incident -- said the real heroes were U.S. troops in Iraq.

Along with the civic award, Autrey was also given a year's worth of free rides on New York's subway and buses, then met with real-estate mogul Donald Trump, who gave him a $10,000 cheque, along with two other cheques from undisclosed donors.

The Walt Disney Co. gave Autrey and his family a one-week fully paid trip to the Disney World theme park in Orlando, Florida, and tickets to the Broadway smash hit musical "The Lion King."

The New York Film Academy, where Hollopeter studies, said it had given Autrey $5,000 and offered scholarships to his daughters, while The New York Daily News reported Autrey had been offered a television show apartment make-over.

Autrey -- whose boss didn't believe his excuse for being late to work until he saw on the Internet what Autrey had done -- is also scheduled to appear on both "The Late Show With David Letterman" and "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

"Good things happen when you do good," Autrey said. "What better way to start a new year than saving a life?"
Autrey said he has visited Hollopeter in hospital and met the young man's father.

Previous recipients of New York's Bronze Medallion include civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. The last recipient was Housing Authority employee Felix Vasquez, who caught a baby thrown from a New York City burning building in 2005.

:wow: Amazing...

I couldn't even do that.

Dude... That's ballsy right there. Can you imagine the train right there? What if the seizure person convulsed and pushed you up into the train?

Who says a person can't stop a mad man from wielding a machete... and chopping a innocent bystanders head off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"