Comics Superman Confidential thread

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
This thread is for the new comic title that was released today (11-01-06). All discussion, including reviews, of the comic, issues, news and its arcs will be done here. To start, her eis my review to issue 1:

REVIEW:
Superman Confidential might be seen as another tie-in to Superman Returns as the new book that reintroduces everyone back to Superman's early days comes out the same time everyone is back on board with the character in movie media (with Smallville too). But its actually here to help out, continunity-wise, with the impacted changes thanks to the event known as Infinite Crisis. The book's purpose is to tell key elements from Superman's life. It is the same purpose Legends of the Dark Knight had and what Batman Confidential has as well.

The story is basically about kryptonite and how Superman experienced for the first time. So far, its only seen in the beginning when Kal-El arrived on earth and its found by people (something tells me that's China) who take it to their home. Superman seems ready at the beginning at whatever that can harm or kill him because in this issue, he always wonders if what will be thrown at him (a bomb, a weapon, etc) will be the one thing that will go as far as killing him. Because he knows he can not be THAT invurnable. As for art in the story, I have read four Tim Sale books (Batman: The Long Halloween & Dark Victory, Superman: For All Seasons, Daredevil: Yellow) and if you read those as well and handled the art, it'll be the same here. I know people started to wonder if the art would be okay or bad just from the preview posted weeks before. Trust me, its fine.

Our characters in this issues are the well known Clark Kent/Superman, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, & Perry White. With the villians being the Royal Flush Gang. Lois & Clark are reporters, like always, but here they are like detectives. Jimmy is seen here as a young man and not like a copy boy or a kid at all. Clark is shown as an experienced reporter and experienced in his double life, but always makes sure on safety on situations and that there might be somethign that can harm him. Lois always does her sarcasm to Clark, but in a cute way and it doesn't seem like she has anythign against him (well until further notice as its unknown what was kept or not in their origin (see next paragraph)). Perry is....Perry. The Royal Flush Gang is what you know them as (how they look in this issue reminds me of the Batman Beyond version) but in the story they're after media coverage. Since this is part one of a six-part story, there's not much else beyond this to know why they do this or what is their relationship with Luthor. So more on them next issue.

So after Infinite Crisis, everyone has have this question in their heads: because of the changes in continunity, what is the main origin story for Superman: John Byrne's Man of Steel, Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale's For All Seasons or Mark Waid's Birthright? The answer is: I DON'T KNOW. To be quite honest, its too early, maybe way too early, to tell. But chances are, its none of those origin stories. When I opened the book, the first panel showed Kal-El's ship leaving the exploding Krypton. I saw the "S" on the ship and at first I thought "Birthright". But the ship's design isn't from that story, nor Man of Steel (For All Seasons didn't show a ship). The ship itself from this book is actually the ship from the Golden/Silver Age. Plus, when you add what we learned from the arc running in the Superman title that was a "super-boy" in Smallville, its obivious that its not one of those three origin stories. So there would have to be a new origin story (speaking of which, when is that coming?) because of Infinite Crisis and its effects shown here.

So overall, this issue was not a disappointment at all. Not only does this help out on what was kept and what wasn't thanks to Infinite Crisis, but it also helps new readers (including me) on retellings of what happen in the character's life so they don't have to go back and read old issues that may not be in continunity anymore. The story itself leaves me with wanting the next one to see what's in store for our characters, and us. We have another winner here.

RATING: 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"