World Superman Lives!

I just watched the documentary, they had some interesting ideas. The concept art was quite beautiful, I just don't know how they could have pulled it off in the 90s. That said, the test footage of him flying off that building looked great, so what do I know?

This movie probably would have turned out a mess, but it is quite fascinating and makes you wonder. But it's probably a good thing it never happened. Especially since the writers and people over this seemed to not agree on what they were making.

It always amuses me that one of Burton's concept art pieces for Brainiac is basically a martian from Mars Attacks!

DYSF9-SVQAACIfu.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it would've turned out a mess. I think Tim Burton would've turned it around and make another classic.
Burton constantly clashed with the producers of the first Batman, as well.

It always amuses me that one of Burton's concept art pieces for Brainiac is basically a martian from Mars Attacks!

DYSF9-SVQAACIfu.jpg

The Brainiac inspiration wasn't Mars Attacks. Tim Burton explained, "I had a weird mixture of like the head in the ball in The Haunted Mansion [Leota Toombs' Madame Leota in the Disneyland ride from 1969], sort of bowl, fish bowl kind of head, and then the cape on him - I think I was inspired by The Brain that Wouldn't Die [(1962) Virginia Leith's Jan Compton], and this spider creature in Jonny Quest ["The Robot Spy" (1964) episode], a weird mixture of things [for Brainiac]. I had Christopher Walken in mind for Brainiac."

Also Burton's Superman would leap, not fly. Concept artist Michael Anthony Jackson explained, "Tim [Burton] wanted the more visceral physical punch as you saw in those Max Fleischer cartoons, which is sort of an adaptation of what [Jerry] Siegel and [Joe] Shuster's original Superman was. That was our Kal-El, that was our Superman, he was not somebody that flies. Tim [Burton] said he didn't like the idea of the sort of magical flying like just floating in space. So he said he wanted it grounded and tied to physics, so he jumps 3 miles in the air and he comes right back down like a bullet. Superman leaping across the city. It might take 5 or 6 leaps but each leap being the equivalent of 2 miles."

Last edited:
The writers from endgame are saying they have an idea about how to approach a Superman film.. I disagree with them coming anywhere near Superman!! After what they did with Hulk I would shudder to think of them coming near any characters with extra ordinary power!!

Just looking at the writing and uneven powers of Thor and the total dismantling of the Hulk, I would hope they would stay away from characters in the upper tear power range! I could see them stripping Supes of his powers and then having him come to grips with some inner trauma!!

No Thank You!!

Just watched the documentary by Schnepp, and damn this would've been interesting to see with an all in budget. I've no idea if this flick would've turn out good or bad, or if Cage would be a disaster or bloody awesome as Superman. IMHO it feels it could go either way. The various scripts mentioned with the different takes confuse me somewhat I have to confess. Still would've loved to watch it nevertheless.

It sure was some interesting ideas here, and I love much of the concept art we were shown. An interesting and highly entertaining documentary.

Where can I watch this? Is it on Netflix or Amazon at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"