World 40 Things You Don't Know About Superman

db85usa

HeHe!
Reaction score
1. He started as a bald villain! One of the all-time greatest good-guy superheroes actually began life as a big, bad bald guy bent on world domination! Comic creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster first drew him as a villain in a January 1933 story called "The Reign of the Super-Man," which appeared in an issue of their comic fanzine Science Fiction. It bombed, so they reimagined him as a superhero.
2. He couldn't fly, either. Right. Though he did possess super-strong legs that allowed him to "leap tall buildings in a single bound." His ability to fly was added in the early 1940s. And, when he returns to the Kent farm after his sabbatical in Superman Returns, he's wearing a dark-gray suit rather than the red-and-blue blanket we've come to know as the material for his super-suit.

3. The Comeback Kid. He returned in June 1938's Action Comics #1. That issue, which sold for 10 cents back then, today goes for more than $10,000 — for a worn copy. Fewer than 100 are thought to still exist.

Marvel this!: Action Comics scored the Man of Steel for its debut issue in 1938.

4. Clark was named after Hollywood stars. Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel came up with the name of Superman's alter ego by combining Clark, as in Clark Gable, with Kent, as in Kent Taylor, an actor who was also Siegel's brother-in-law.
5. That "bird/plane" catch phrase was a fluke. A 1940 radio serial actually introduced it as a marketing gimmick. Also introduced in the radio series: Clark's Daily Planet boss, Perry White, and sidekick Jimmy Olsen.

6. Dogs and midgets play Superman. An ill-fated kids show, The Adventures of Superpup, was shot in 1958 on George Reeves' The Adventures of Superman set. Featuring little people in doggie costumes, it revolved around a pooch reporter named Bark Bent, who, via his alter ego Superpup, spent much of his time saving Pamela Poodle from the evil Professor Sheepdip. Bark's newspaper boss was Perry Bite and coincidentally, they worked at The Daily Bugle, which, as every comic-book junkie knows, is actually the newspaper that employs Peter Parker, a k a Spider-Man.

7. Supe goes Broadway. In 1966, Superman made his Broadway debut in the musical It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman!, starring Jack Cassidy (papa of Shaun and David) and Linda Lavin, who went on to become TV's Alice. The show, which ran for three months at the Alvin Theater (since renamed the Neil Simon Theater), featured such tunes as "It's Super Nice," "So Long, Big Guy" and "Pow! Bam! Zonk!"

8. First nemesis: Spider Lady. Superman debuted in movie theaters in a series of Max Fleischer animated shorts in 1941, followed by the first live-action movie, The Adventures of Superman, in 1948. The film starred actor Kirk Alyn as the Man of Steel; his nemesis was the Spider Lady.

Lovebirds?: Bosworth modeled her Lois Lane on … Katharine Hepburn.

9. Dirty Harry was an early choice for the original big-screen hero. Before Christopher Reeve was cast in Supe's 1978 big-screen return, director Richard Donner approached three big-name stars about the part. But Robert Redford was too expensive, Clint Eastwood was tied up with Every Which Way But Loose and James Caan told the director, "There's no way I'm getting into that silly suit."

10. This comeback is a gamble. Superman Returns marks the end of an almost 20-year big-screen absence for Superman, sparked by a couple of financial flops for the superhero in the '80s. Though Donner's Superman made more than $300 million worldwide and turned Christopher Reeve into an international star, and the 1980 follow-up, Superman II, was also a hit, fans balked at 1983's Superman III, and 1987's woeful Superman IV: The Quest for Peace sealed the deal. Warner Bros. decided to focus on the Batman movie franchise instead.

11. Superman Returns … to development hell. What has evolved into Superman Returns began in development at Warner Bros. in 1996. Clerks director and lifelong Supe fan Kevin Smith wrote a script that was based on the controversial 1993 comic-book story "The Death of Superman," in which our hero dies in a battle with Doomsday and is later reborn. Another famous fan, Nicolas Cage, signed on to star. Batman director Tim Burton later took over the production, dropped Smith's script and renamed the movie Superman Lives. Then Cage, Burton and Warner Bros. clashed over the direction of the project and Burton and Cage dropped out. The cost: $40 million.

12. No … no gay robots. Smith's script was reportedly hampered by interference from hairdresser-***-producer Jon Peters, who insisted, among other things, that Superman's costume be entirely black, that he fight someone in the Fortress of Solitude, that he battle a giant mechanical spider, that the villain Brainiac be accompanied by a gay robot sidekick and, strangest of all, that Superman not have the ability to fly. Peters, by the way, who's listed as a producer on Superman Returns, finally unleashed his giant mechanical spider in Will Smith's summer 1999 flop Wild Wild West, which Peters co-produced.

13. It was almost (gasp!) Brett Ratner. Following Cage and Burton's departure, a string of directors and screenwriters dropped in and out, including Wolfgang Petersen, J.J. Abrams, McG and Brett Ratner.

Revenge of the nerd: Former soap star Routh was a Smallville reject.

14. Jesus, Angel and an Elvis freak vied for the role. Among the many actors rumored to be in the lead to play Superman during the decade-long development process: Nic Cage, Brendan Fraser, James Caviezel, Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Hartnett, Ashton Kutcher, Jude Law, Paul Walker, Matt Damon, Colin Farrell, David Boreanaz, current TV Superman Tom Welling and daytime soap star Matthew Bomer.

15. And the winner is … Finally, in the summer of 2004, Bryan Singer was approached by Warners to take over. Singer had just postponed a Logan's Run remake to direct X-Men: The Last Stand, which he then agreed to drop for Superman Returns, but only if the plot was changed to a story line that's more of a sequel to the original Superman movie. The action of Superman Returns picks up several years after the action of Superman II ends.

16. The secret movie title. Throughout the whole shoot and even into postproduction, Superman Returns was covertly known as Red Sun.

17. The script was written during an all-nighter. Singer says almost 90 percent of what ended up in the final cut was conceived over the July 4 weekend in 2004, when he and screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris hashed out the details of the movie while attending the Hawaiian wedding of eventual Superman Returns producer Chris Lee.

18. Brandon Routh's dorkiness landed him the gig. Singer finally settled on the unknown Brandon Routh, a daytime soap vet whose biggest pre-Supe role was a guest spot on Gilmore Girls. His strong resemblance to Christopher Reeve and his Superman-like Midwestern roots (Routh was born and raised in Iowa) made him Singer's top choice for the role within five minutes of meeting him. "Clark comes naturally to him because he is Clark," says screenwriter Michael Dougherty. "He's this guy from Iowa who is 6-foot-3 and good-looking, but shy and kind of awkward at times."

19. If at first you don't succeed … Routh auditioned for the teen Superman role in the WB's Smallville that went to Tom Welling.

20. Routh gets Reeve's blessing. Halfway through production, Routh received a letter and two Superman S pendants from the late Dana Reeve. "She said she thought I'd be a good Superman," says Routh. "She wished me luck. I can't tell you what that was like, to get her blessing. I was nervous, because I had never heard from the family, and it's frightening trying to fill Christopher Reeve's shoes."

21. Budget rumors are bloated. "There's some idiot who wrote somewhere that the movie was $250 million, which is the most absurd thing I've ever heard," says Singer. "I'll tell you exactly: The movie was budgeted at $184.5 million and will probably climb with visual effects and variables that occur in a movie of this magnitude, with 1,400 visual effects, to be somewhere still south of $200 million."

22. Director kills trees in the name of authenticity. Singer was such a stickler for details that business cards were printed for the desks of every employee at The Daily Planet, and a backlog of Daily Planet issues was created for the newspaper's office.

23. They made enough Superman suits to dress an army. More than 90 Superman suits, 60 capes and 30 pairs of red boots were used to dress Routh, including different combinations for when he would fly, when he was in an action sequence and when he was just supposed to look Supermanly.

24. Routh on wearing the Superman costume: "Very confining. But once you get past that, which is sometimes hard, it's also very empowering. First time I put it on, I felt … stronger. Like, a different level of who I am."

Hanes his way: Costume designers used a "flattening device" to make Routh's real deal PG.

25. He's bigger underneath — we knew it! About that infamous new codpiece … Superman Returns costume designer Louise Mingenbach says, "We had more discussions about the crotch than anything." Adds Singer, "We discussed [it] in depth during preproduction. I mean, he is Superman, so you don't want to freak anybody out. But he is a super man." In the end, the costume crew devised a "flattening device" that keeps Superman's super-endowment in PG, or at least PG-13 (the film's official MPAA rating), territory.

26. Changes to that famous logo. The size of the S on Superman's costume also sparked some Internet controversy, with fans of the comics upset that Singer had made the insignia smaller. But that's actually a throwback to the early comics.

27. But here's what's cool. In a magnified view, you can see that the yellow background behind the big red S is actually embossed with hundreds of little S's.

28. You'll believe he can fly. Donner's Superman promised that "you'll believe a man can fly." Singer promises the same for Superman Returns and says he and the special-effects team utilized cutting-edge technology that wasn't available even a year ago to make it happen, including some flying shots that feature a completely digitally created Superman.

24-hour workout: Routh says wearing the suit was "empowering."

29. Sneak peek: The movie's first stunt! Upon his return to Metropolis, Superman quickly re-establishes trust with his admiring public through a series of heroic feats. In the first, he stops a Boeing 777 filled with reporters covering the launch of the space shuttle (including Lois Lane!) from plunging into the ground. The Boeing jet is piggybacking on the shuttle, and when it doesn't detach from the space vessel, it means certain doom for the passengers, until — cue the John Williams score — Supe steps in.

30. Actually, John Williams is mostly MIA. While his iconic notes will be heard in the opening credits, it was John Ottman (Singer's The Usual Suspects and X-Men 2 composer) who composed the score.

31. Beyoncé as Lois? WB not ready for that jelly. Kate Bosworth reportedly beat out a lineup of Lois Lane wannabes that included Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Keri Russell, Elisha Cuthbert, Mischa Barton, Claire Danes, Sandra Bullock and >Beyoncé Knowles.

32. Katharine Hepburn and who!? Bosworth's models for the role? "I wanted to draw from actresses that conducted themselves with immense strength and poise and grace … it was a lot of Katharine Hepburn movies and Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich."

33. Spacey kicks up the evil. Kevin Spacey says his Lex Luthor, compared to Gene Hackman's from the 1978 movie, is darker. "He goes in a different direction. He's still the Lex Luthor who wants property. He likes land. And he has a diabolical scheme to achieve that. He's out for revenge."

34. One hint about Lex's plan. It involves a visit to Superman's Fortress of Solitude and creating a "new Krypton," which causes some potentially disastrous, Earth-shaking results for the entire population.

Dreamy Evil Eyes: Bryan Singer wanted Jude Law to play the role of General Zod.

35. A super-cameo. In the movie, Lex is flush with cash to carry out his power-mad shenanigans after marrying wealthy (and much older) Gertude Vanderworth. When Mrs. Vanderworth dies, he gains control of the multibillion-dollar Vanderworth fortune, as well as a super-gaudy waterfront mansion and the Gertrude yacht. You should know that Gertrude is portrayed by Noel Neill, who played George Reeves' Lois Lane in the '50s TV series.

36. Alfie as Zod? Singer approached Jude Law to re-create the role of Superman foe General Zod, played by Terence Stamp in Superman I and II. When the actor said he wasn't available, Singer cut the character altogether.

37. Paging Dr. House … Hugh Laurie was originally cast as Clark and Lois' Daily Planet boss, Perry White, but the shooting schedule conflicted with Laurie's hit TV series, whose pilot episode was directed by Singer. Laurie was replaced by Frank Langella.

38. Another super-cameo. Actor Jack Larson, who played TV's Jimmy Olsen, also makes an appearance as a bartender at the Ace O'Clubs. Singer says Larson's reaction to seeing the set and a caped Routh is one of his favorite memories of the production. "When [Jack] walked onto the set of the roof of the Daily Planet… we were walking and talking and then suddenly he went quiet. His eyes got wide, and he just said, 'There he is.' I looked around and Brandon had walked onto the set in the suit. You know, Jack hadn't seen Superman in over 50 years."

How he got his money: Lex marries the original Lois Lane.

39. 24-Hour Superman News. AOL's In2TV broadband website has launched a Superman Channel, which includes episodes of The Adventures of Superman and Lois & Clark, Max Fleischer's cartoons and the A&E TV documentary Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman, a collaboration between Singer and Ken Burns.

40. An even bigger Superman. Superman Returns is being released in an IMAX edition, which will include 20 minutes of what Singer calls "3-D-ified" scenes. "We're doing something else, which is a little P.T. Barnum and a little funky," he says. "The idea is that Clark takes off his glasses, and you put yours on. Not in every sequence, but in a few sequences."

From Movies.com :supes:

Belongs over in the Super World board really.

Also Perry White and the Daily Planet were not their original names which I can't think of right now...

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Also Perry White and the Daily Planet were not their original names which I can't think of right now...

Not sure about Perry White, but Daily Planet was called the Daily Star.

The Daily Star was in the comics...the radio show created the Daily Planet.

If all of that was true, it was an awesome read and I learned about 40 things I didn't know.

No, wait, make that about 30...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"