World Superman, religion and being a God figure

hammy

American Ham
Reaction score
I was thinking how it's easy to see parallels between Superman and God, and how interesting it is (to me, anyway) that some people clearly see Jewish references while others see Christian. The Christian references seem more overt to me. The ‘only son’ being sent to earth, his somewhat alien status here, his desire to ‘save,’ the world, be a do-gooder, etc. The Jewish references are somewhat less transparent to me, yet they are definitely there. His trip to earth in the spaceship has been compared to the trip baby Moses’ took through the bulrushes, set adrift by his desperate mother. Also, like Kal El, Moses was raised by ‘adoptive,’ parents and rose to greatness. There is also the theme that (similar to displaced Jews) Superman is a lonely foreigner in a foreign land, having been cast out of his own home and his people wiped out by catastrophe, (somewhat like the holocaust.)

But even with these God figure implications, we don't see a lot of overt references to religion in the comics, although there are some. We know that Superman was created by two Jewish teenagers, yet he was raised in the midwest by 'salt of the earth' folk and with no references to Judaism. One wonders, did Siegel and Shuster want us to believe he was Christian because Christianity was the dominate religion of the day and region? Or did they purposely remain vague on the subject despite his image as the ultimate boy scout. Interestingly, Jeff Loeb, another Jew, reinforced the Christian connection in Superman for all Seasons and later with the image of Clark on the cross in the pilot episode of Smallville. (So what’s with Jewish guys pushing the Christian angle? :huh: Others have too.)

At any rate, it was eventually explained that Clark was raised Methodist and attended services regularly while growing up. We know he married Lois in a church and even spoke to a Catholic priest regarding the Vanishing. And on many occasions he has prayed.

So finally, my question .. :o where do you stand on this – does Clark/Superman have an earthly religious faith? Do you think Clark’s early religious training had any bearing on Superman’s do-gooder mentality? Do you relate to him as a God figure, if so, which .. Jewish or Christian or other?

Anyway, as great as he is, Superman is neither omniscient, omnipotent nor omnipresent. (I’m pretty sure you’ve got to be all three for God-status.)

Of course, there is always the possibility he subscribes to his Kryptonian religion. :hehe:

Oh Sage, you're so ... sage. :)

But you didn't answer the questions. :mad: (not that they were easy to find, mind you.) :o

Fair enough, sweetie. :)

I think it's reasonable to suggest that Clark Kent's growing up a Methodist may have contributed to the moral code he eventually uses as Superman. There are similar values. Perhaps the Kents themselves were influenced by the church, and that's what was passed on to Clark.

i'm actually reading a book on this right now, the parallels are really interesting. the book is called "the Gospel according to the worlds greatest superhero"

here's some stuff from the back cover

-superman and his father share the last name "el"- hebrew for God
-his earthly parents were originally named "mary" and "joseph"
-superman film and television writeres have confirmed they modeled the superhero on Christ

as I'm not religious, I'd happily subscribe to the Gospel of Superman

Kal be with you!

and also with you!

i don't see him as any god...
Superman is just a simple comic book character.

nothing more, nothing less.

Comic book characters have messages. They come from places that are not simple.

Superman based on the same thing Christ was based on. He was written by people who were Jewish, and as such, had been thought to still wait for the coming of the Messiah of Old Testament prophecy. Keep in mind, many Jews are and were divided on the nature of the Messiah, that he would be (was) God. They still thought he would be David's son, not God's. And so while Superman is a Christ replacement, it turns to be a Christ analogue when applied to a traditionally Christian culture (ie America).

As for the storyline, yes, the spiritual aspects of his upbringing would undoubtedly have an effect on his adult decision making. He would have to reject his young life almost completely to avoid such an effect. We don't know how 'devout' the Kents were, though... so it could be anything from vague principles to weekly worship attendance.

He's probably based on several heroic figures from the past, even religious ones. But similar to how I don't worship a cop or soldier, I don't think I should worship superman since he's more human than a god. He's flawed, has emotions, etc.

As for his faith, I'm guessing it's faith in batman :brucebat:.

Last edited:
i'm actually reading a book on this right now, the parallels are really interesting. the book is called "the Gospel according to the worlds greatest superhero"

here's some stuff from the back cover

-superman and his father share the last name "el"- hebrew for God
-his earthly parents were originally named "mary" and "joseph"
-superman film and television writeres have confirmed they modeled the superhero on Christ

Incorrect.... the original name of the Kents was Eben and Sara. They were named by Goerge Lothar and I believe those same names were used in the pilot episode of The Adventure of Superman.

As to the film writers ... of course they did... Donner tried very hard to drive that home and so did Singer.... the television show, however, was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"