Superman Returns Superman Returns Grosses $30M In Imax

Showtime

Your Friend In Time
Reaction score
Superman Returns Grosses $30M in IMAX
Source: IMAX Corporation
September 27, 2006

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=4747

IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, which has grossed more than $388 million worldwide to date, continues to show strong legs in IMAX® theatres through its 13th week. The IMAX® 3D release, which has set multiple IMAX box office records, has now earned $22.7 million on 92 IMAX screens domestically and more than $7.5 million on 36 IMAX screens internationally. The IMAX release has now earned a worldwide total of $30 million with an impressive per screen average of $229,000.

"We are very pleased with the longevity of the film's performance in IMAX theatres," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "The immersive IMAX Experience has helped this terrific film continue to draw crowds thirteen weeks into its run."

"'Superman Returns' has been a huge hit in IMAX theatres throughout the entire summer," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "The strong legs provide a clear indication that audiences want to experience Hollywood event movies in the most powerful and unique way. We are encouraged by the ongoing positive reactions to the world's first live-action Hollywood feature with scenes converted into IMAX 3D."

IMAX theatres from New York to San Francisco are reporting strong results and high occupancy, with New York City's IMAX at AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 and IMAX at AMC Loews Metreon 15 in San Francisco topping the North American list. The film is also performing very well in key international territories, with several IMAX theatres reporting record performances.

"'Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience' is continuing to generate significant box office receipts throughout our international territories, demonstrating the universal staying power and appeal of The IMAX Experience®," said Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "We look forward to delivering more IMAX and IMAX 3D features to the IMAX theatre network as the global appetite for this type of release continues to grow."

Examples of recent international successes include:

- The London BFI IMAX Theatre reported grosses of more than $1.2 million with "Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience." The theatre has been more than 85% full through the entire ten weeks of the film's run.

- Manila's recently opened San Miguel Coca-Cola IMAX theatre reported estimated grosses to be $500,000, with a ticket price of approximately $5.50 -- which is still a 100% premium over 35mm tickets in the market.

- The three commercially operated IMAX screens in India have reported combined grosses of over $600,000 with an average ticket price of under $4, also a significant premium for the market.

IMAX Corporation used its proprietary 2D to 3D conversion technology to successfully complete the conversion of approximately 20 minutes of Superman Returns into An IMAX 3D Experience®, the most immersive cinematic 3D in the world. During four select sequences of the film, a visual cue designed by Singer indicates when audiences should put on and remove their IMAX 3D glasses. The film has been transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

So, does that IMAX total get added to the overall domestic total of 198 million?? Or has it already been added to. :oldrazz:

Maybe this article should give Brian S to release it in full IMAX 3D including the missing Krypton scene. When I last watched it in IMax I overheard one person say " I didn't know this was released in 3D until recently."

Super78 said:
So, does that IMAX total get added to the overall domestic total of 198 million?? Or has it already been added to. :oldrazz:

Fortunately and Unfortunately the IMAX total is already added in.

How dare this movie make $388 million worldwide. Doesn't it know it tanked and nobody likes it? Man --- I still need to see it in 3-d. Now that I know it's still out, I might give it a try.

PSU442 said:
How dare this movie make $388 million worldwide. Doesn't it know it tanked and nobody likes it? Man --- I still need to see it in 3-d. Now that I know it's still out, I might give it a try.

LOL. That's all that can be said about this post.

Are you guys sure thats added into the $198 million domestic total, i dont think it has been. Though i'm not sure.

Yes, it has been added. But the movie´s strong legs in IMAX may help to explain why it´s still making almost half a million per week domestically. IMAX is most likely the future of theater cinema. Multiplex doesn´t cut it anymore when you have DVDs and big screen TVs.

Thankgod for IMAX...I can only imagine what the film would have grossed without it.

This is amazing news! I didn't think it would have that strong of a run in IMAX. I need to see this Film in IMAX. I wish there was an IMAX close to my home. I would have to travel 8 or 9 hours to see it. :wow:

So, I guess 200 million is not out of the question now?

So this would mean that SR's domestic regular theater take, minus IMAX (because it is in 3D) is 169 mill. That is way low. If it had never been released in IMAX 3D, this is the figure we would be looking at.

buggs0268 said:
So this would mean that SR's domestic regular theater take, minus IMAX (because it is in 3D) is 169 mill. That is way low. If it had never been released in IMAX 3D, this is the figure we would be looking at.
More like 177mil. The movie made 30mil in Imax worldwide, it made 22.7mill domestically. And we really don't know if SR would have only made that much if it hadn't gone into Imax. Since I'm sure that some people went to see SR in Imax because they wanted to see the movie itself, not just the 3D/Imax experience. I'm guessing that it would be some in the low 180s.

The $30 million is misleading because IMAX ticket prices are often double the cost of a regular theatre ticket.

ultimatefan said:
Yes, it has been added. But the movie´s strong legs in IMAX may help to explain why it´s still making almost half a million per week domestically. IMAX is most likely the future of theater cinema. Multiplex doesn´t cut it anymore when you have DVDs and big screen TVs.

Imax is definitely the future... thank goodness something is emerging to keep cinema alive. So what do you think the chances of the next Superman movie being completely 3D??? and what about The Dark Knight... you have to think WB will want to keep the ball rolling.

matthooper said:
The $30 million is misleading because IMAX ticket prices are often double the cost of a regular theatre ticket.
True. Another thing I didn't think about.

SR completely kicked ass in IMAX.....Too bad there aren't more IMAX theatres, the number would be even higher. :up:

Pickle-El said:
SR completely kicked ass in IMAX.....Too bad there aren't more IMAX theatres, the number would be even higher. :up:
Well I think it definately have helped out the BO more.

matthooper said:

Depends on the location. When I saw it in IMAX 3D it was 14 bucks and a ticket for a regular showing is sometimes 12 bucks depending on what theater. But yes that should be taken into account. However, the showings I've been to have been extreamly popular. The 3D was sold out when I saw it 3 weeks ago, and that was a 12:30 AM showing.

Pickle-El said:

I agree. I loved it in the theater. But when I saw the IMAX 3D? It blew my mind.

EDIT: That said...I wish there had been more 3D segments in the film. I know it's pricey to add that stuff in but there was some stuff they missed out on.

buggs0268 said:
Well I think it definately have helped out the BO more.

Less than 100 IMAX theatres brought in so much damn money.......Imagine what the number will look like if a sequel is released is 3,4, or even 5x that amount of theatres.

I think WB learned one thing at the very least, release an SR sequel on every single IMAX screen on this little blue globe of ours. Releasing it simultaneously everywhere would be an ideal plan.

Michael Corleone said:
I agree. I loved it in the theater. But when I saw the IMAX 3D? It blew my mind.

EDIT: That said...I wish there had been more 3D segments in the film. I know it's pricey to add that stuff in but there was some stuff they missed out on.

As much as I wanted to, I didn't catch it in IMAX. The theatres weren't as close as I was hoping. And I live in a very populated part of Los Angeles. I'll bet it was amazing to see on that screen though.

Actually, I did try and see if I could go first week, but most showings were sold out.....I didn't even check after that 2nd week.

Pickle-El said:
As much as I wanted to, I didn't catch it in IMAX. The theatres weren't as close as I was hoping. And I live in a very populated part of Los Angeles. I'll bet it was amazing to see on that screen though.

Actually, I did try and see if I could go first week, but most showings were sold out.....I didn't even check after that 2nd week.

it really is a testament to the IMAX format in general. Yes SR was amazing, But I will also go see more films that way. If studios and theater owners want to figure out a way to get people to see films again...this is the way.

Thanks god for IMAx then, hopefully with IMAX SR can cross the $200 million mark and we can all be a little bit happier.

star wars is going to probabaly make a ton when it comes out in 3d.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"