Superman Returns Superman Returns: Happy 2 Year Anniversary

I think Nolan got it right with BB and the studio figured it out from reaction beyond simply $.

Well actually no, this isnt right, because a BB sequel was in serious doubt at the time, until the DVD broke records, DVD sales are what sealed it for a sequel to BB, and with the budget only slightly raised to boot.

I think they did. I think they know that SR was not the right film b/c of reaction beyond $ the same way they knew BB was the right film beyond $. When respsected comic book creators who've written Superman come out to bash SR, WB has to realize there were some serious flaws with the film. I think after the summit w/ DC, WB realized that they could do a lot better than SR in terms of getting Superman right.

I dont think getting Superman right is their concern at all, and I personally think you are being a little naive by saying WB 'listened to the fans.' I know for a FACT, that if SR had made a little more money, they wouldnt have given a **** about the fans and WOULD have made a sequel. Its obvious its all about $$$$$$$$$$ to me.

I'd be behind that adaptation of "Birthright" you mentioned in the other thread.

Me too, would love it.

Well actually no, this isnt right, because a BB sequel was in serious doubt at the time, until the DVD broke records, DVD sales are what sealed it for a sequel to BB, and with the budget only slightly raised to boot.

From this article on August 8, 2005 it sounds like all they were waiting on was Nolan saying 'yes.' This months before the DVD and while BB was still in some theaters.

Batman Begins producer Charles Roven told SCI FI Wire that the cast is signed on for a sequel, the script is in the works, new cast members are being discussed and the only delay is an OK by director Christopher Nolan. "We all hope there is going to be another one,"

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=3380

Here's Robinov on October 11, 2005 about the BB sequel:

Robinov: Chris Nolan wasn't the obvious choice. Alan trusted that Chris' vision -- the tone, the setting and his skill as director and storyteller -- would ultimately give us the best movie. Chris is going to come in and tell us what the next "Batman" will be today. It all comes down to filmmakers like Alfonso Cuaron on "Harry Potter," or Curtis Hanson on "Lucky You" or Niki Caro on "North Country."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=3545

Here's Nolan commenting on the storyline for the sequel on October 25,2005.

Empire Online got an update from Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan about how his meeting went with Warner Bros. Pictures about the sequel:

Jeff Robinov at Warners was quoted as saying that you tell him what the sequel is going to be. Is that the case?
Well, he's very polite to put it that way! I have marched into his office and I have told him what David Goyer and I think the story is, and they seem to like it a lot. I think the success of Batman Begins, in my terms, in it being a film that I wanted it to be, is very much due to a collaboration with the studio. It wasn't really one or the other telling the other what it should be, so I think he's poking fun.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=3577

The DVD came out on October 18. After the first two articles and only days after the third. It certainly appears that the sequel was well into the works before the DVD hit the stores. It sounds like on October 11th or earlier WB had already heard from Nolan and were ready to do the sequel as long as they liked his ideas for the second film. It hardly sounds like BB was in danger of not getting a sequel.

I dont think getting Superman right is their concern at all, and I personally think you are being a little naive by saying WB 'listened to the fans.' I know for a FACT, that if SR had made a little more money, they wouldnt have given a **** about the fans and WOULD have made a sequel. Its obvious its all about $$$$$$$$$$ to me.

$ is certainly #1. But I think they've learned that in order to get the $ they have to get Superman right. Otherwise, we'd have already gotten an SR sequel with ramped up action. So they know that it's not just about the action and 'fun' factor.

Sure, if SR had made more $$ it would have gotten a sequel. But it didn't and WB has been trying to figure out why it didn't. Why was reaction to BB and SR so different yet they made similar $$? I mean that's got to be a conundrum to them doesn't it? SR gets all kinds of hate on the internet, and BB almost exclusively receives praise and adulation. Yet they grossed nearly the same amount. What's up with that?

Reaction to the films was clearly different even though they grossed nearly the same $$, yes?

Me too, would love it.

It's still possible.

From this article on August 8, 2005 it sounds like all they were waiting on was Nolan saying 'yes.' This months before the DVD and while BB was still in some theaters.

Batman Begins producer Charles Roven told SCI FI Wire that the cast is signed on for a sequel, the script is in the works, new cast members are being discussed and the only delay is an OK by director Christopher Nolan. "We all hope there is going to be another one,"

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=3380

Here's Robinov on October 11, 2005 about the BB sequel:

Robinov: Chris Nolan wasn't the obvious choice. Alan trusted that Chris' vision -- the tone, the setting and his skill as director and storyteller -- would ultimately give us the best movie. Chris is going to come in and tell us what the next "Batman" will be today. It all comes down to filmmakers like Alfonso Cuaron on "Harry Potter," or Curtis Hanson on "Lucky You" or Niki Caro on "North Country."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=3545

Here's Nolan commenting on the storyline for the sequel on October 25,2005.

Empire Online got an update from Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan about how his meeting went with Warner Bros. Pictures about the sequel:

Jeff Robinov at Warners was quoted as saying that you tell him what the sequel is going to be. Is that the case?
Well, he's very polite to put it that way! I have marched into his office and I have told him what David Goyer and I think the story is, and they seem to like it a lot. I think the success of Batman Begins, in my terms, in it being a film that I wanted it to be, is very much due to a collaboration with the studio. It wasn't really one or the other telling the other what it should be, so I think he's poking fun.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=3577

The DVD came out on October 18. After the first two articles and only days after the third. It certainly appears that the sequel was well into the works before the DVD hit the stores. It sounds like on October 11th or earlier WB had already heard from Nolan and were ready to do the sequel as long as they liked his ideas for the second film. It hardly sounds like BB was in danger of not getting a sequel.

We heard similar stuff before SR came out on DVD also, I could list plenty of articles like this in regards to SR2, yet that never happened, I remember it all went quite on the BB2 front until the final DVD sales came in.

$ is certainly #1. But I think they've learned that in order to get the $ they have to get Superman right. Otherwise, we'd have already gotten an SR sequel with ramped up action. So they know that it's not just about the action and 'fun' factor.

No of course, now they think its all about darkness since TDK came out, despite the fact that SR being too dark was one of its biggest complaints, sure listening to the fans there arent they!

Sure, if SR had made more $$ it would have gotten a sequel. But it didn't and WB has been trying to figure out why it didn't. Why was reaction to BB and SR so different yet they made similar $$? I mean that's got to be a conundrum to them doesn't it? SR gets all kinds of hate on the internet, and BB almost exclusively receives praise and adulation. Yet they grossed nearly the same amount. What's up with that?

Reaction to the films was clearly different even though they grossed nearly the same $$, yes?

It's still possible.

WB just done strike me as the type to read everyone;s thought on the internet, no movie studio does, money is the main motivation for this re-do, I dont care what anyone says.

It's been 3 years now...amazing.:shock

In a recent interview Watchmen screenwriter Alex Tse spoke positively about SR.

From Asia Pacific Arts:

APA: What, in your opinion, have been some of the better comic adaptations for cinema, and what have come up short?

AT
: I think the last two Batmans were that successful. I actually felt Superman Returns was well done. I liked the second X-Men, I liked Iron Man. I don't think you have to be a slave to the source material, but if you lose the spirit of it, then you're in trouble, so if you look at the [1990s] Batmans, with the look and you put the nipples on the suit...

Date Posted: 7/17/2009
Source: http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/090717/article.asp?parentID=110444

^Considering Watchmen was awesome this pleases me. A lot of people in Hollywood have singled SR out for praise now, I now Raimi did, and a few others but cant think at the moment.

^Considering Watchmen was awesome this pleases me. A lot of people in Hollywood have singled SR out for praise now, I now Raimi did, and a few others but cant think at the moment.

Those silly hollywood directors and writers, they must not know what their talking about when they say good things about SR :cwink:

It's been 3 years now...amazing.:shock

In a recent interview Watchmen screenwriter Alex Tse spoke positively about SR.

From Asia Pacific Arts:

APA: What, in your opinion, have been some of the better comic adaptations for cinema, and what have come up short?

AT
: I think the last two Batmans were that successful. I actually felt Superman Returns was well done. I liked the second X-Men, I liked Iron Man. I don't think you have to be a slave to the source material, but if you lose the spirit of it, then you're in trouble, so if you look at the [1990s] Batmans, with the look and you put the nipples on the suit...

Date Posted: 7/17/2009

Source: http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/090717/article.asp?parentID=110444

That pretty cool. I agree, Superman Returns is a really good comic book film. I LOVE it. It's so underrated, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"