Superman Returns One year later, and with two months to go, where do you stand?

Fatboy Roberts said:
it was deemed disappointing due to overinflated expectations. the first and second weekends close to half the overall take (75 mil), and the first two full weeks definitely made over half the overall take. pretty safely. :

Jun 17–19 1 $48,745,440 - 3,858 - $12,634 $72,896,986 1
Jun 24–26 1 $27,589,389 -43.4% 3,858 - $7,151 $122,511,813 2
Jul 1–3 2 $15,609,638 -43.4% 3,765 -93 $4,145 $151,070,575 3
Jul 1–4 2 $19,339,432 -29.9% 3,765 -93 $5,136 $154,800,369 3
Jul 8–10 3 $10,012,444 -35.9% 3,344 -421 $2,994 $171,901,777 4
Jul 15–17 5 $6,035,300 -39.7% 2,810 -534 $2,147 $183,140,850 5
Jul 22–24 9 $4,727,469 -21.7% 2,275 -535 $2,078 $191,105,194 6
Jul 29–31 13 $2,448,225 -48.2% 1,601 -674 $1,529 $195,875,532 7
Aug 5–7 13 $1,822,445 -25.6% 1,192 -409 $1,528 $199,088,386 8
Aug 12–14 16 $1,050,497 -42.4% 710 -482 $1,479 $201,149,986 9

Nice little uptick for July 4th weekend, but other than that, nothing too different from your typical blockbuster. Yes, being a good Batman movie helped, but the draw was still that it was a Batman movie. The appeal of the name never went down. The name was always what propelled it. "it's supposed to be a good batman movie."

None of those numbers came about because people were going "Oh, I heard it was a good movie about that one guy who dresses up like a rodent or whatever." They knew it was Batman.
The opening weekend was 48 million, much smaller than every prediction in the industry and it made four times that. Most successful summer movies make two and a half, three times their opening weekend, three and a half at best. WOTW didn´t make four times its opening weekend, neither did EP III or CATCF or FF or even HP IV.

ultimatefan said:
It didn´t make 75 millions the first weekend, it was the first five days of release, and it was deemed disappointed by the industry as a whole. The opening weekend was 48 million, much smaller than every prediction in the industry and it made four times that. Most successful summer movies make two and a half, three times their opening weekend, three and a half at best. WOTW didn´t make four times its opening weekend, neither did EP III or CATCF.
In fairness other movies made much closer to their predictions than BB did on here

ultimatefan said:
It didn´t make 75 millions the first weekend, it was the first five days of release, and it was deemed disappointed by the industry as a whole. The opening weekend was 48 million, much smaller than every prediction in the industry and it made four times that. Most successful summer movies make two and a half, three times their opening weekend, three and a half at best. WOTW didn´t make four times its opening weekend, neither did EP III or CATCF.
In fairness other movies made much closer to their predictions than BB did on here

ultimatefan said:

ultimatefan said:

Oh snap Fatboy, you better pull those tri-quater fiscal earning projections recorded and set upon but not restricted to the 4th quarter net growth estimations, or I fear it's pwnage for you.

hunter rider said:

Ya, exactly. Did my boy hunter studder or sumthin, beyatch?

Oldguy said:
Oh snap Fatboy, you better pull those tri-quater fiscal earning projections recorded and set upon but not restricted to the 4th quarter net growth estimations, or I fear it's pwnage for you.
Hehe... Both SW EP III, WOTW and CATCF made close to a third of their total BO in the first weekend, HP IV and FF a bit more, and BB did less than a fourth.

ultimatefan said:
The opening weekend was 48 million, much smaller than every prediction in the industry and it made four times that. Most successful summer movies make two and a half, three times their opening weekend, three and a half at best. WOTW didn´t make four times its opening weekend, neither did EP III or CATCF or FF or even HP IV.

I already addressed this prior to your response. I'll repost this:

me said:
The numbers are up there. The 2nd weekend is just as important as the first--and most blockbusters make, if they're lucky, 2 times the first two weekends. Same with this one.

I'm not saying the positive word of mouth didn't help--but the positive word of mouth didn't MAKE the movie. Batman did. Your argument is that after the 3rd weekend, people went because they heard it was a good movie, regardless of whether Batman was in it. That's not the case.

Word of mouth didn't "Keep the movie alive." It helped (as I've said about 3 times now) but after the 50 mil opening weekend, the movie followed the typical box-office patterns, save for the 4th of July uptick--which makes sense. Let's not lose sight of the major argument here: That Word of Mouth is what floated this movie. It wasn't. It was Batman. The fact it was a good Batman movie helped, but you can't divorce Batman from those totals.

ultimatefan said:
Hehe... Both SW EP III, WOTW and CATCF made close to a third of their total BO in the first weekend, HP IV and FF a bit more, and BB did less than a fourth.

For what it's worth I sort of agree, BB's initial $ came from being a Bat-man movie. But word of mouth, and glowing review's like Ebert's(or is he the dead one?) is what gave it staying power.

But, I have to acknowledge Fatboy's point, it would be very difficult to divorce the appeal of the franchise from the merit of the movie itself as it's driving force.

I think you make a good example of showing how BB compared to other franchises(ya WOTW isn't a franchise per se, but it's a remake. close enough.) BB certainly had some quality to it the others lacked that allowed it to out preform them. I would wager it was the fact that it was a good movie.

Fatboy Roberts said:
I already addressed this prior to your response. I'll repost this:

Word of mouth didn't "Keep the movie alive." It helped (as I've said about 3 times now) but after the 50 mil opening weekend, the movie followed the typical box-office patterns, save for the 4th of July uptick--which makes sense. Let's not lose sight of the major argument here: That Word of Mouth is what floated this movie. It wasn't. It was Batman. The fact it was a good Batman movie helped, but you can't divorce Batman from those totals.
Ofr course the name Batman has its share of relevance in helping the movie´s BO, but with that opening, if it had 50%-plus drops - which is pretty usual with blockbusters - it would have been deemed a flop. Batman & Robin being a Batman movie only more or less saved it for the first weekend, than it sank like a rock. Hulk had a great opening and ended up being a disappointment because it fell hard the next weekends. And yes, it DID perform better, compared to opening weekends, than other blockbusters of that summer.

See, we agree more than we don't :), it's just that Whack's initial argument gave so much credit to word of mouth that it seemed he was saying the movie made what it did JUST BECAUSE of the word of mouth, and not because of the fact it was BATMAN at all.

All I'm trying to refute is that yes, the movie being good helped (of course, and Thank God) but the fact it was a good BATMAN movie had a lot to do with it.

Also--the amount of sheer Star Power also helped, that can't be denied, either.

Fatboy Roberts said:
See, we agree more than we don't :), it's just that Whack's initial argument gave so much credit to word of mouth that it seemed he was saying the movie made what it did JUST BECAUSE of the word of mouth, and not because of the fact it was BATMAN at all.

All I'm trying to refute is that yes, the movie being good helped (of course, and Thank God) but the fact it was a good BATMAN movie had a lot to do with it.

Also--the amount of sheer Star Power also helped, that can't be denied, either.
Fair enough.

WTF? What's with all this civil discussion.

Someone fart or something and then make fun of my mom or whatever. These sorts of conversations aren't really allowed here.

Here, I'll put a bunch of exclamation points at the end of this sentence so the authorities don't turn us in for not conforming !!!!11 111 111111!!!!!ONE

I'll tell you where I stand... Between YOU and the people of Gotham!;)

Fatboy Roberts said:

Someone fart or something and then make fun of my mom or whatever. These sorts of conversations aren't really allowed here.

Here, I'll put a bunch of exclamation points at the end of this sentence so the authorities don't turn us in for not conforming !!!!11 111 111111!!!!!ONE

I'm making fun of your Mom right now...isn't that right baby?

cu1.gif

THAT.....was uncalled for...

You ever watch the Clerks cartoon?

(I was quoting it. It wasn't anywhere NEAR uncalled for ;))

:eek: Hey, Wesyeed love the avatar! Man, guys just a few mores days and our waiting will be over!

Fatboy Roberts said:

Your mom is hot.;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"