Superman Returns Superman Returns Running Time Confirmed!

Matt said:
Here is the essential difference between Kong and LOTR and why LOTR was loved while many saw Kong as a failure...

LOTR has about 16 main characters, each with their own plots and development spread equally throughout the movie. When one story starts to drag it switches to another.

Kong on the other hand has 3 main characters (Denham, Ann, and Jack...four if you count Kong). 3 hours developing these 3 characters is pretty boring. No matter how good the rampage or time on Skull Island.

Superman is similar...Lex, Supes, Lois. You can't devote three hours to these characters.

All right I agree. BUt was it confirmed that Superman will be 3 hrs long?

^NOPE, nothing is confirmed, which is why this thread is plain BS, I'm sorry to say.

^^ relax naite its all in conversation. Its just when it turns into arguments that it gets ruined. Hmm....

DvilDog said:
^^ relax naite its all in conversation. Its just when it turns into arguments that it gets ruined. Hmm....
I aint saying this in wrath... it's just that the thread is titled "Superman Returns Running Time Confirmed!"... however that's far from true.

Hmm... Right u are. Its hould be running time is CONFIRMED???????????

SolidSnakeMGS said:
King Kong BARELY made it's budget back over here. Yes, it did well overseas but it's very hard to calculate just how much is actually profit due to many factors of overhead prevailent in international exhibitions. Lots of movies that don't do well here do well overseas.

Suffice to say, KK was NOT the hit the studios thought it would be.

King Kong was overlong, too fake looking, and pretty much unnecessary since the original is so good and is still better than the Jackson version by a long shot.

Say what you will when it comes to your personal opinion of Kong, it dont change the basic facts.

- It took in half a billion dollars.

- It also made half of that in DVD sales to date.

- It was critically acclaimed.

- it was nominated for multiple awards including Oscars, and won the Visual FX Oscar against heavy competition.

- And its #4 in Universals all time hits.

You can talk about profit and budget all day, or how the story dragged, or how it pales to the original. It doesn't change or alter these facts.

Nivek said:
Say what you will when it comes to your personal opinion of Kong, it dont change the basic facts.

- it was nominated for multiple awards including Oscars, and won the Visual FX Oscar against heavy competition.

You can talk about profit and budget all day, or how the story dragged, or how it pales to the original. It doesn't change or alter these facts.

Bravo. :up:

Nivek said:
It pulled in half a billion in worldwide box office, and an additional $250 million in DVD sales. The only complaint i've heard about the movie is it takes too long to get to Skull Island (a point I fully agree with), alot of people love it that I've come across. And as i said in that other thread, DVD sales are a bigger point with studios now since they dont have to share that money with theatres.

Comparing supermans potetial B.O. and success with kong, to me, is a great comparison. Narnia wasn't as successful in the long run as Kong was, despite the box office last christmas.
That was my only problem with Kong....I hope Superman shows up on screen alot sooner then Kong did in King Kong.

We'll probobly see Routh in the Red and Blues within the first 40 minutes, I figure.

I hope that this new 2'nd theatrical trailer is the one playing in front of X3!!! There are rumors that a tottally DIFFERENT 3'rd theatrical trailer will play with X3, however this sounds really weird.... I hope this new 2'nd one will play with X3, cause I can't emagine a 3'rd beeing able to top this 2'nd one in style, intensity and the epic feel it had.

Nivek said:

I don't think any of that really matters when you have a guy survive the fall off the tree-bridge only to get killed five minutes later.....:down

Excel said:
you guys. w.b. will not release a superman move long then 150 minutes...or...2 hours and 30 minutes. this 171 minute **** is nonsense.

they simply wont. and their smart in doing that.

that is too long. its ahuge turnoff cause little kids wont wanna sit through a movie that long.

:up: I hope they will cut it to just 140-150 mins.

I hope the movie is 2 hours and 30 mins!

and almost 3 hours for the DVD :)

To long? Blah! .........its Superman, besides its more screen time of being able to see Kate :)

More Kate please thanks :)

Singer just dug his own grave. He's banking the entire film on Lois and Clark's relationship. If this falls flat then so does the rest of the film since we know the action will be as dull as we've seen in Singer's X-Men films.

zanos said:
Singer just dug his own grave. He's banking the entire film on Lois and Clark's relationship. If this falls flat then so does the rest of the film since we know the action will be as dull as we've seen in Singer's X-Men films.
Well, it's clear that you have no ****ing idea what you're talking about pal!

Well...it's hasn't been confirmed........I don't think it could even be the final cut.

Although....June 30th is right around the corner....

The original superman was 150 minutes, that's a long movie, but it literally seems like a 90 minute movie to me when I watch it. How good a movie does may have something to do with runtime, but how long a movie is has NOTHING do with how good the movie actually is. LOTR Return of the King is my favorite movie, at 3 hours most of my friends, who didn't like the first two, found it unbearably long. Myself, the Extended, 4 hour version is still my favorite movie. It's very long, but still an amazing movie. If a movie is done well time means absolutely nothing. And I trust Singer with Superman. I think so many people are getting the wrong idea about Superman. Superman is not a dark story. Superman himself is a light to the world. When everything goes wrong he brings light and hope. Not like batman who works by darkness. Superman has always been kind of cheesy, kinda campy. I really don't care if you try to change any other super hero, batman, spiderman, x-men, you can change their characters a bit. But don't dare touch who Superman is. Superman is a great superhero not because of his limitless powers but because of his pure love for humanity that no other superhero has to the extent of Superman. He's nearly a religious figure really.

Well......the reason it was so long was b/c of the 1 hour it too for him to become Superman. But....it was sooooo worth it.

zanos said:

Someone got a violin to go along with this broken record?

I dunno.......from that trailer, and the new tv spot.......it doesn't appear like it's all on the Lois and Clark relationship. The return of a savior seems to be another MAJOR theme in the film.......I mean, there were people....lots of people...clapping in that one tv spot......so....it feels like it more than JUST the love thing.

yeah the problem could be with the kids. after all it is superman. it must be also for the kids. and tehre si no way tha ta littel kid would sit there 3 hours.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I dunno.......from that trailer, and the new tv spot.......it doesn't appear like it's all on the Lois and Clark relationship. The return of a savior seems to be another MAJOR theme in the film.......I mean, there were people....lots of people...clapping in that one tv spot......so....it feels like it more than JUST the love thing.

Well it's a trailer. It's not going to include just one aspect of the film no matter how encompassing it is. Singer didn't conjure the love triangle, the kid, etc. just to make the film longer. It's obviously going to be at the core of the film and he's banking all his marbles on it. People's reaction to it will make or break this movie. Action willl be a low priority as usual without the introduction of a supervillian.

My plan:

1st act (The beginning, Superman in space, Clark in Smallville, Luthor's plan, Clark in DP) - 45 mins.

2nd act (Superman, Plane sequence, Love story, The kid, FOS, Superman saving a day, Lex creats NK) - 45 mins.

3rd act (Lois and Jason misses, Lex vs. Superman, Superman and Richard save Lois and Jason, NK is growing, Earthquakes, Superman saves people, Superman throwing NK,
Superman in hospital, The End) - 50 mins.

If it's good, quality entertainment, I don't see why 2 hours and 51 minutes are a problem. . . The more the merrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"