World Superman: The Movie and Superman II experience

Metropolis_Man

Mister Doctor?
Reaction score
I'm 22 and was yet to be born when Superman and Superman II were released. I watched both movies on VHS and DVD a countless number of times always curious what the experience was like when the movies hit in theatres.

I was able to recieve my little taste when Superman Returns was released, and I think I can honestly say I would have payed 10 bucks to just see the credits roll in with that classic zoom text.

With that being said, for those who were of age to remember what the anticipation was like for the film and the day you saw it and what crowds were like, reactions, and how you felt once the films were over, I'd really like to hear your story.

So if you were part of the original Superman: The Movie or Superman II experience or both, please leave your story below.

(Superman III and IV are also welcomed)

I was born in 1976 so I think I saw STM on cable TV, I do remember shouting out "Superman" at the screen during Superman 2 when Superman arrives to challenge Zod in Metropolis.

Well, I was very young, but I remember that once the movie started, I just couldn't stop looking at the big screen, especially when Chris appeared as Superman. He was mesmerizing! And the score, the flying, the interactions between Supes and Lois were awesome! I came out, and I just wanted to fly with Superman! I even had dreams about it, haha.

And for the crowd, there is NO doubt that everybody had a blast with both movies. In fact, the Superman movies are my fondest movie going experiences, including SR. I just have a soft spot for big blue, and STM is responsible for that.

I didn't see Superman 1 in the theaters, but i did see Superman 2 in the theaters. i was just a little boy, but i was so excited to see the movie. and i'd seen numerous replays of Superman 1 on HBO prior to the opening of Superman 2. infact, i seriously remember seeing the episode of Siskel & Ebert on tv when they did their review for Superman 2. that got my juices pumped up even more!
anyway, when i was watching Superman 2 in the theater, i remember how exciting it was. the experience was just awesome. the fight scene in the streets of Metropolis between Superman and the 3 supervillians was the greatest thing ever. infact, the greatest part was when we hear the thunderous noise and the newspapers flying off the newsstands... and Superman returns with his powers back intact. and he flies to the window and says "General! would you care to step outside?". awesome!! everyone in the theater was lovin' it.

the best Superman movie ever. and possibly the greatest superhero movie still to this day.
and omg, when that movie(Superman 2) made it's way onto HBO, i swear i watched it every time it came on. i would pretend i was him. pretending i could fly. it was so cool.

I also remember how excited i was when Superman 3 came out. i remember being at the supermarket with my mom, and i always checked out the magazine section. i saw this special Superman 3 magazine that was actually all Superman 3 posters! i had my mom buy it for me. and then when i got home, i thumbtacked every single poster on my walls. :D
Anyway, it was just so cool seeing a brand new Superman movie. ofcourse, i felt that Superman 2 was still the better movie, but Superman 3 was so fresh and new, so i was into it. Richard Pryor kindof gave it a different twist. my favorite part was how Superman became an evil Superman, then he split into 2, and the junkyard fight scene was awesome to me. the evil Superman was a great idea, i thought. and how he was able to defeat his own demons, and once again become the good Superman. it was so cool. the ending of the movie wasn't exactly the greatest, but it wasn't too bad. it was weird not having Lex Luthor in the movie tho.

now, after loving all 3 movies, i was old enough to truly appreciate the release of Superman 4. i went into the theater all excited. i came out extremely saddened and disappointed. :( i swear, i was so sad because it was just awful. the story was lame, the villain was ******ed, and the special effects were cheap as hell. i knew deep down inside this was the end of Superman. i gave up on the franchise. and obviously so did everyone else. plus, Chris Reeve was looking kinda fat and old in it. and it was his directorial debut, and that was a big mistake. it's just a ****ty movie.

Going way back into the Memory Archives on this one Metropolis Man...

I remember the atmosphere in the movie theatre was palpable excitement. Everyone was in their seats before the opening credits. I also remember that right from the start the movie had an interesting effect on the crowd, one that I've seldom seen since.

The entire movie played with the audiences emotions at will. They laughed, cheered, appluaded at all the right moments. Not just a few people mind you, I would say more than 80% of the people in the audience were on the same wavelength. It elevated the movie from a good story to a genuine bonding experience. The entire viewing was in a word, captivating.

For instance,When Superman returns from the Fortress of Solitude and encounters Zod for the first time "General, would you care to step outside?". There was an eruption of noise. Almost like "Okay Jerk's, here comes my Big Brother to kick your ***. It was electrifying, and to a 12 yr old boy (at that time) unforgettable.

The only other movie I've seen that generated such a unified emotional response from a crowd was Jaws. The Exorcist was incredibly intense as well, but that was more of an internalized experience. You felt the horror, and the fear sweep over you, but you weren't outwardly physically reacting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"