Superman's power level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but I don't want Supes to cut loose too much though, since this is an origin film (or atleast the first of the franchise).

Of course, but I don't want Supes to cut loose too much though, since this is an origin film (or atleast the first of the franchise).

Yeah, probably not a good idea if Supes takes out half the city in a fight, but I hopefully we will get to seem him do some extraordinary things we never seen before. I have confidence Snyder will bring it.

Keep the power level at same level as in Superman Returns. no less, no more.

Is there anything that officially states how big new Krypton was meant to be? If it's the equivalent of an asteroid, that's about where I'd put Superman's maximum strength.

IN SR Supes struggled to lift New Krypton but that was due to Kryptonite poisoning as a piece of the crystal was still stabbed in his back, otherwise he could easily lift more.

As long as more doesn't include his most ridiculous silver age feats, I'm fine with it.

Powerlevels like the one In Birthright and Worlds at War are the Kind Im looking forwardto.No to the Silver Age

That sounds about right, being able to move something the size of Pluto under the most extreme circumstances.

Because he looks like he's about to die when he lifts anything heavier than a car?

There's nothing 'wrong' per say, with STAS Supe's power level. It's just that most people know in some way (comics, movies, friends talk etc) of what he's accomplished, so to be shown at a low level might be underwhelming I think.

Personally, I've actually got more of an issue with his superspeed, because that really does eliminate a huge number of threats from the options list. ANY enemy that has normal human reactions, regardless of strength, has no chance unless OTHER aspects are brought in (magic, time warping etc). Superman is untouchable, and therefore virtually unbeatable. I do prefer to have it this way, but that essentially means virtually every one of his physical enemies need to have superspeed.

There's nothing 'wrong' per say, with STAS Supe's power level. It's just that most people know in some way (comics, movies, friends talk etc) of what he's accomplished, so to be shown at a low level might be underwhelming I think.

Personally, I've actually got more of an issue with his superspeed, because that really does eliminate a huge number of threats from the options list. ANY enemy that has normal human reactions, regardless of strength, has no chance unless OTHER aspects are brought in (magic, time warping etc). Superman is untouchable, and therefore virtually unbeatable. I do prefer to have it this way, but that essentially means virtually every one of his physical enemies need to have superspeed.
Some other aspects include Mind attacks,Teleportation.Kryptonite Influence

Indeed, didn't think to list them all. I was just trying to say that if the enemy is all about physicality, then they need superspeed too.

It would be pretty cool seeing Superman being challenged in the ways you mentioned (excluding kryptonite ;) ), but we got Zod/Faora, so not yet (again).

I think Superman's strength level was a bit too high in Superman Returns, I mean seriously, who could pose a threat to him without destroying a freaking city in the process?

I think Superman's strength level was a bit too high in Superman Returns, I mean seriously, who could pose a threat to him without destroying a freaking city in the process?

Agreed. If he can lift islands when he is dying of Kryptonite poisoning, which is the only ****ing thing that can kill him (in the Donner/Singer-verse), then that lands squarely in too strong.

I was thinking that it might be interesting if the effects of Superman's actions on his environment were realistic. That might make for an interesting idea to limit how much power he can use to solve problems in Metropolis. For example, if he were to break the sound barrier, then that would cause a sonic boom that could harm civilians. Thoughts?

Indeed, didn't think to list them all. I was just trying to say that if the enemy is all about physicality, then they need superspeed too.

It would be pretty cool seeing Superman being challenged in the ways you mentioned (excluding kryptonite ;) ), but we got Zod/Faora, so not yet (again).
Again is right my friend.Ive always found it boring to see Superman fight someone with the exact powers as himself.I was hoping to see a Robotic Braniac fight superman(just throw in Teleportation as a math for his superspeed)

He shouldn't be so strong that he everything seems so easy. He shouldn't be able to fly around the world so fast that he turns back time. Kryptonite should really do some damage. I don't want to see him just looking like he ate a bad taco, I want to see it actually harming him. I also want to see other things have some afect on him like electricity or getting whacked with a steel I-beam. Keep his powers simple. Super strength, speed, flight, laser vision, x-ray vision. There's no need for super breath, but whatever. No throwing \S/ shaped fruit roll-ups!!! I want to see sweat, bruises, maybe even a bloody lip. I don't want to see him looking all pretty after a big brawl.

He shouldn't be so strong that he everything seems so easy. He shouldn't be able to fly around the world so fast that he turns back time. Kryptonite should really do some damage. I don't want to see him just looking like he ate a bad taco, I want to see it actually harming him. I also want to see other things have some afect on him like electricity or getting whacked with a steel I-beam. Keep his powers simple. Super strength, speed, flight, laser vision, x-ray vision. There's no need for super breath, but whatever. No throwing \S/ shaped fruit roll-ups!!! I want to see sweat, bruises, maybe even a bloody lip. I don't want to see him looking all pretty after a big brawl.

Agreed.

Let's also have realistic collateral damage. If he's fighting General Zod, then show cars being tossed, buildings collapsing, and people die. Then have Superman work on repairing the damage. Show us what would happen if such beings were to actually fight each other in a city like Metropolis.

Agreed. If he can lift islands when he is dying of Kryptonite poisoning, which is the only ****ing thing that can kill him (in the Donner/Singer-verse), then that lands squarely in too strong.

I was thinking that it might be interesting if the effects of Superman's actions on his environment were realistic. That might make for an interesting idea to limit how much power he can use to solve problems in Metropolis. For example, if he were to break the sound barrier, then that would cause a sonic boom that could harm civilians. Thoughts?

Exactly :up:

Agreed :woot:

Although I do want Supes to have his super breath.

Again is right my friend.Ive always found it boring to see Superman fight someone with the exact powers as himself.I was hoping to see a Robotic Braniac fight superman(just throw in Teleportation as a math for his superspeed)

Hell yes, I was hoping to see Superman fight someone that he fight toe to toe without them having the exact same powers as him.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Let's also have realistic collateral damage. If he's fighting General Zod, then show cars being tossed, buildings collapsing, and people die. Then have Superman work on repairing the damage. Show us what would happen if such beings were to actually fight each other in a city like Metropolis.

There was collateral damage in the SII fight, it's the whole reason Superman flew away at the end.

IN SR Supes struggled to lift New Krypton but that was due to Kryptonite poisoning as a piece of the crystal was still stabbed in his back, otherwise he could easily lift more.

You forgot about the crystals that were in the rock, those were poisoning him too

I think Superman should be extremely powerful, but not over do it. Personally, this time around I'd like to see Superman show off his power when fighting a VIllain rather than lifting an island (like in Superman Returns) or something like that. It's time we got a Superman that literally kicks ass.

SR failed not because Superman didn't punch anybody, SR sucked because it was slow, sad, and boring. It wasn't fun.

SR had alot of heroic moments/scenes, but if the overall structure of the film is slow and boring, those scenes will get lost in the weeds. Superman 1 (Christopher Reeves) didn't have Superman throw any punches, and it is revered as an all time comic book movie favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"