Superman Returns Superman's Powers and Levels Threads Merged

As what we have seen in full trailer and tv-spots, his speed level is very high.

Junfan said:
That was the first OMG feat of clarks speed on SV.

But I think biggest feat yet has been in the recent EP where he went from SV to Honduras in a few seconds, which has to be roughly 2500 miles (if you straight line it).

Everytime he does things like that, I'm always disappointed there's no collateral damage. Running at those kinds of speeds should tear up grassy fields, cause fires, melt concrete, cause massive shockwaves of heated displaced air, giant pressure drops and sudden vacuums resulting in rapid temperature flux and mini cyclones, and groud level sonic booms to rupture people's eardrums. Hell, almost everytime Superman super-speeds there SHOULD BE a sonic boom.

Especially in that football episode, he should have left a wake of destruction on the field, caused major damage to the buildings, basically killed Myzzlptzik by pushing him into a cabinet at such speed, and deafened everybody watching the game.

he's superman. I guess he can do that without having any effect on everything like that.

spot on with the traveling through time thing. That's exactly what I always thought. Spinning the earth, no way. He went 88mph and caused a major paradox that... saved the day... yipee.

:up: :up:quote=Spare-Flair]Guys, I still can't believe people think Superman was spinning the world backwards. If he did that, the world would be majorly messed up, the oceans would spill over and drown everthing, the atmosphere of the planet would leak into space, continents would drift, the core would spin out of alignment, and many things would die.

Superman was supposed to be travelling back in time. He is going backwards not the earth. He is using the gravitational pull of the earth to "slingshot" himself past lightspeed hence the blur (a common if erroneous science fiction device) to travel back in time.

So what you see is a faster than light bluestreak flying backward in time and from the camera's persective in space, since Superman is flying backward, then obviously time will go backward, therefore he is turning THE DAY BACK and therefore the earth will also turn back to the previous time.

This is like seeing the sun rise and sunset because the earth is spinning in that direction. If you go back in time, the sun will unrise or unset because the rotation is going backward. It's a temporal change, not a physical one.[/quote]

Spare-Flair said:
But Luthor didn't kill those millions. Luthor's actions however, did result in Lois' death. Superman didn't lose it until he lost Lois.
So he should be less pissed because Luthor was going to kill millions?

Yahoo Summer Reviews.

• [SIZE=-1]The filmmakers claim that the action and f/x sequences will be so groundbreaking, you will believe a man can fly.[/SIZE]

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807839024/smg

I actually believe it already. In the last trailer, his speed is so strong, you see the force lifting papers off the street.

VGPOP said:
Yahoo Summer Reviews.

• [SIZE=-1]The filmmakers claim that the action and f/x sequences will be so groundbreaking, you will believe a man can fly.[/SIZE]

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807839024/smg

I actually believe it already. In the last trailer, his speed is so strong, you see the force lifting papers off the street.

That's great news, but it would be better if the Yahoo! critics said that, not the filmmakers.

bsquad said:
So he should be less pissed because Luthor was going to kill millions?

Think about it this way. Would you be more pissed off at someone who starts a war that could potentially kill millions of people around the country...or would you be more pissed off at needless death of your wife of girlfriend just right this instant? Superman managed to save those other people...but he couldn't save Lois.

Lois' death is immediate, has happened, is intimate, and personal for Superman.

Spare-Flair said:
Think about it this way. Would you be more pissed off at someone who starts a war that could potentially kill millions of people around the country...or would you be more pissed off at needless death of your wife of girlfriend just right this instant? Superman managed to save those other people...but he couldn't save Lois.

Lois' death is immediate, has happened, is intimate, and personal for Superman.

would'nt both be needless? plus considering my girlfriend would most likely be killed during his strike (he was told she was in the area before he left) not to mention that as Superman I would try not to be that selfish as to care about just the 1 when everyone else is in trouble as well I can honestly say I would be just as pissed.

And like I said before, it's fun to watch but still did not make much sense.

bsquad said:
considering my girlfriend would most likely be killed during his strike I would be just as pissed

you keep talking "potential" deaths, "most likely" or would die anyway. I don't know about you but indirect violence is much less personal than direct violence that has already happened. Lois died. Superman screamed so loud it was heard in space. Superman never screamed when other people were hurt or died.

If somebody says he is going to unleash a virus that will eventually kill your girlfriend someday, do you at that instant look to the sky and scream in agony? Then ru off in a blind rage trying to do something drastic to fix it? Did Captain Kirk scream "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN" because Khan could have potentially killed people, or was it because Khan actually killed his son?

Spare-Flair said:
you keep talking "potential" deaths, "most likely" or would die anyway. I don't know about you but indirect violence is much less personal than direct violence that has already happened. Lois died. Superman screamed so loud it was heard in space. Superman never screamed when other people were hurt or died.
and you keep talking about how its ok for the the 1 to out weigh the many. Lois was in that area to. He was told that before he left the Daily Planet. She was already in danger. Why didn't he go faster then?
and like I said before
bsquad said:
would'nt both be needless? plus considering my girlfriend would most likely be killed during his strike (he was told she was in the area before he left) not to mention that as Superman I would try not to be that selfish as to care about just the 1 when everyone else is in trouble as well I can honestly say I would be just as pissed.

And like I said before, it's fun to watch but still did not make much sense.

Spare-Flair said:
If somebody says he is going to unleash a virus that will eventually kill your girlfriend someday, do you at that instant look to the sky and scream in agony? Then ru off in a blind rage trying to do something drastic to fix it? Did Captain Kirk scream "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN" because Khan could have potentially killed people, or was it because Khan actually killed his son?
so because she may not die its ok for him not to go faster? how is it blind rage to push your self to go faster? if someone did that I would try to stop it right then and there. what would waiting achieve when I know I can stop it now

not to mention this wasn't a someday situation. this is a right now situation where every second counts

bsquad said:
so because she may not die its ok for him not to go faster? how is it blind rage to push your self to go faster? if someone did that I would try to stop it right then and there. what would waiting achieve when I know I can stop it now

Because Superman isn't perfect. He's very much human. He still lets his emotions get in the way. I'm sorry, Superman does care for Lois more than all those other people he doesn't know. She is the love of his life.

Human beings are said to be able to achieve things they normally cannot when under significant emotional pain or duress. Animals can achieve amazing physical feats as well. It's usually attributed to adrenaline but people can do things they normally cannot do when really pushed to the edge. This is a common theme in literature, mythology, comics (Thor, Hulk), philosophy, etc. It can be compared with the "berserker rage", or simply anguished determination and impossible acts of passion.

Superman is not some omnipotent god will full control over his emotions and will or even his own physical abilities. He is a mortal burdened with the responsibility of an entire planet and the feelings of a single man.

Superman isn't a robot who can go: "I calculate the probability of saving everyone is 100% if I do this and this in proper order and at the proper speed"...

He has his limits, he doesn't know everything, he isn't confident of all he's doing. He's just doing his best but he makes mistakes. Not being fast enough resulting in Lois' death was a mistake. That's what makes him sympathetic, that's what makes the character "human". When he's screaming, he's beating himself up for being so Super, yet not being able to save the Love of his life and knowing that Lois suffered terribly in her death. That gives him the rage and strength and wholly emotional and irresponsible (what right does he have to do interfere in the events of mortal time as Jor El says) to do something that he normally cannot and would not ever do under any otehr circumstance. The only error in the movie is that there is no equilibrium. There is no moral to the story, as per most myths and parables. His turning time backwards SHOULD COME AT A PRICE otherwise, it's just a reset button that can be activated when Superman is angry.

plus Superman's goign through time to before Lois was safe meant that everythign that was happening right when her car broke down would have to be stopped again. So does that mean he had to save Lois-then everyone else? Does that honestly make since to you

Spare-Flair said:
Because Superman isn't perfect. He's very much human. He still lets his emotions get in the way. I'm sorry, Superman does care for Lois more than all those other people he doesn't know. She is the love of his life.

Human beings are said to be able to achieve things they normally cannot when under significant emotional pain or duress. Animals can achieve amazing physical feats as well. It's usually attributed to adrenaline but people can do things they normally cannot do when really pushed to the edge. This is a common theme in literature, mythology, comics, philosophy, etc. It can be compared with the "berserker rage", or simply anguished determination and impossible acts of passion.

Superman is not some omnipotent god will full control over his emotions and will or even his own physical abilities. He is a mortal burdened with the responsibility of an entire planet and the feelings of a single man.

Superman isn't a robot who can go: "I calculate the probability of saving everyone is 100% if I do this and this in proper order and at the proper speed"...

He has his limits, he doesn't know everything, he isn't confident of all he's doing. He's just doing his best but he makes mistakes. Not being fast enough resulting in Lois' death was a mistake. That's what makes him sympathetic, that's what makes the character "human".

like I said before awesome to watch but does not make since. because now if you really think about it it makes him look like a skirt chasing jerk

Superman-"Gee Lois I really like you"

(elsewhere)
Son-"Dad that earthquake is coming right for us"
Dad-"Don't worry son, Superman will save us"

Superman-"So Lois, what are you doing tonight..."

Spare-Flair your probably making this big large argument but I can tell you my response right now-the time traveling, Superman pushing more to help Lois instead of Lois and the world, and him saving her which would undo everything he just saved does not make since

bsquad said:
like I said before awesome to watch but does not make since. because now if you really think about it it makes him look like a skirt chasing jerk

Superman-"Gee Lois I really like you"

(elsewhere)
Son-"Dad that earthquake is coming right for us"
Dad-"Don't worry son, Superman will save us"

Superman-"So Lois, what are you doing tonight..."

Nobody died in Superman the Movie. Superman saved them all. Remember, he's not rotating the earth, he himself is going back in time. Therefore, when Superman was going back in time, his previous self was still in other places saving those people and doing what he did in the first place. That was just so that he could be in two places at the same time since he couldn't before to save Lois. Yes this is temporal paradox because if Lois dies, then Superman won't go back in time to save her therefore she would have died and Superman would have gone back, etc. ad infinitum. But there are no time travel movie or comic books that exist without temporal paradoxes...if you go via the latest theories of Stephen Hawking, temporal paradoxes can happen because you are simply creating new quantum realities (based on Quantum physics since any atom has the random possibility of any random state and all possibilities are actually accounted for in their own universe).

And it's "doesn't make sense", you've been writing since for awhile :)

Spare-Flair said:
Nobody died in Superman the Movie. Superman saved them all. Remember, he's not rotating the earth, he himself is going back in time. Therefore, when Superman was going back in time, his previous self was still in other places saving those people and doing what he did in the first place. That was just so that he could be in two places at the same time since he couldn't before to save Lois. Yes this is temporal paradox because if Lois dies, then Superman won't go back in time to save her therefore she would have died and Superman would have gone back, etc. ad infinitum. But there are no time travel movie or comic books that exist without temporal paradoxes...if you go via the latest theories of Stephen Hawking, temporal paradoxes can happen because you are simply creating new quantum realities (based on Quantum physics since any atom has the random possibility of any random state and all possibilities are actually accounted for in their own universe).

And it's "doesn't make sense", you've been writing since for awhile :)

what does my spelling have to do with anything? If you can read what I wrote and understand it then you get the point :) I hate when people try to attack spelling like this is a damn english class and a valid argument.

and if he goes back into time than doesn't that mean there would be 2 Supermen flying around-1 with Lois the other saving people still. it still does not make since and your theory just opens up more issues the film did not deal with-thus making more plot holes

bsquad said:
what does my spelling have to do with anything? If you can read what I wrote and understand it then you get the point :) I hate when people try to attack spelling like this is a damn english class and a valid argument.

and if he goes back into time than doesn't that mean there would be 2 Supermen flying around-1 with Lois the other saving people still. it still does not make since and your theory just opens up more issues the film did not deal with-thus making more plot holes

It was a tease, hence the smiley face, why do people have to take things so personally? :)

Why wouldn't there be 2 Supermen flying around if Superman went back in time? If you went back in time, couldn't you meet yourself?

Superman reversed time on Earth alone, and went back to save Lois first. He may have killed a few people, but he doesn't know them like he did Lois. Superman may be a super-genuis, but he listened to his heart instead of his head.

Plus the fact remains that Superman knew not only Lois but the world was in danger (your ignoring the fact that he was told where she was and where the missles impact would affect, which was right where she was) yet he struggled to catch the missle but was able to go fast enough to travel through time.

Eros said:
Superman reversed time on Earth alone, and went back to save Lois first. He may have killed a few people, but he doesn't know them like he did Lois. Superman may be a super-genuis, but he listened to his heart instead of his head.
I'm sorry but that makes Superman look like an *******. Like I said it was fun to watch-but does not make since

the needs of Lois always outweigh the needs of the many. Superman really doesn't care about some punk he never met, but he loves Lois Lane. In the old pre-crisis days superman could bend time with his finger, and move planets around like paper [im not joking]. I wonder if we will see him moving the moon or something mega-powerful in Returns.

bsquad said:
Plus the fact remains that Superman knew not only Lois but the world was in danger (your ignoring the fact that he was told where she was and where the missles impact would affect, which was right where she was) yet he struggled to catch the missle but was able to go fast enough to travel through time.

Again, he didn't feel the impact of her death until afterward. He didn't have the emotional and physical strength to go beyond his natural abilties and limitations until he felt that pain. You know how things don't hit you until they have actually happened? You don't realize what a big mistake something was after it happened and you wonder why you didn't have the will or strength or intelligence to do it right the first time?

That's what makes him human, he makes mistakes. Superman went back in time alone, but the other Superman from before he went back in time was still saving people.

Spare-Flair said:
Again, he didn't feel the impact of her death until afterward. He didn't have the emotional and physical strength to go beyond his natural abilties and limitations until he felt that pain. You know how things don't hit you until they have actually happened? You don't realize what a big mistake something was after it happened and you wonder why you didn't have the will or strength or intelligence to do it right the first time?

That's what makes him human, he makes mistakes. Superman went back in time alone, but the other Superman from before he went back in time was still saving people.

Superman=skirt chasing jerk. Sorry but that's what your logic makes him seem like to me. I'm sorry I even thought about it more because it makes him look bad in my eyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"