Superman Returns Superman's Identity Crisis

ChrisBaleBatman

Legendary Hero
Reaction score
IGN.com:

Superman's Identity Crisis
Is Clark Kent really Superman in disguise or is the Man of Steel a disguise worn by a clumsy reporter? We delve into the psyche of the Last Son of Krypton.

June 19, 2006 - It's Superman week at IGN, which means daily features examining DC's greatest icon. Next Wednesday, Bryan Singer's Superman Returns flies into theatres and you do not want to enter the summer's most anticipated movie without some knowledge of the Last Son of Krypton. Look for Villain Power Rankings, Top Ten Superman books and more.
Today we take a look at one of the most important (and often overlooked) aspects of the Superman mythos. Is Clark Kent a "mask" Superman wears or is Clark the true identity of the Man of Steel? It's not as simple a question as it may appear. And it's not a question that can be answered definitively. Just as fans argue over the "true identity" of Batman, the real Superman will always be up to personal interpretation. If your take differs from ours, shoot us an email and give us your thoughts.

Who is Clark Kent?
Clark Kent is an orphan, adopted as a baby by a Kansas couple with impeccable morals. Raised on a farm, Clark lived an unassuming childhood until his incredible powers began to manifest. From the moment of his first manifestation (the timing of which varies from writer to writer), Clark was forced to begin a secret life. Prior to this moment, he was Clark Kent, the luckiest orphan in the world. After his powers arrived, however, he could never be just Clark Kent.
Having powers is not the same thing as being Superman. And for many years, Clark was just a young man doing his best to conceal his gifts. This meant he had to be careful playing sports or exerting himself physically or emotionally so as not to expose himself. Clark couldn't allow himself to get angry, especially in public, because he might mistakenly display his powers. And for a young man, repressing your anger is not a natural (or healthy) act. Clark did not live the dual life of a costumed superhero. He was still a mild-mannered teenager, while in Smallville. There was no Superboy. He was simply Clark Kent, a boy with one very big secret. This could be considered Clark in his sincerest form, with the least amount of subterfuge.
superman-20060619044948799.jpg

The Clark Kent of Metropolis added an extra layer of geekiness beyond the glasses, forcing the notion of being a bit of a klutz with his head in the clouds. This was a conscious choice, to help allay suspicions that the mild-mannered reporter might also be Superman. If you think it would be oh so easy to pick Clark for Superman, look around your office. Find the socially awkward, quiet fellow with slightly bad posture who rarely stands up for himself (hopefully it's not you). Would you ever mistake this guy for Superman? Sure, the build may be similar, but in a city of millions, no one would ever mistake a shut-in like Clark to be anything beyond ordinary. The act is necessary and that makes the Clark Kent of Metropolis slightly different (and less true to himself) than the farm boy from Smallville. And so began the suppression of the "real" identity, which became muddled between two different public personas.

Who is Superman?
Superman is the greatest living superhero in the DCU. He makes his home in Metropolis, but his powers allow him to do good across the globe and even across the universe. Superman is the handsome champion of the people, who inspires the common man to look up in the sky. He fights for truth, justice and all that jazz.

superman-20060619044949080.jpg

There isn't much more to Superman. He's powerful, but uses those gifts for the betterment of mankind. He's the boy scout, the moral standard which all other heroes are judged against. But Superman's "personality" is merely a generic facade of altruism. He's a symbol and as such, can't afford a lot of idiosyncrasies. In order to be effective, Superman needs only to project unwavering conviction and the sense that he will always do right by the people of Earth. His origins as an alien are known, which only help to cement the notion that Superman is, in fact, above our common human character flaws. He doesn't feel greed, or resentment or bias. He sees only justice. And we must believe that to believe in him.

Who is Kal-El?
Kal-El is Superman's Kryptonian name, but it has less bearing on his current identity than you might think. Some would argue that you can't consider the nature of Superman/Clark Kent without also considering a third identity. He is, after all, the Last Son of Krypton, a survivor of an extinct planet who carries great knowledge and an alien heritage.
While Clark Kent hails from Krypton, he holds little if any favor towards Kryptonian ideals. Given the choice, he would always side with his humanity and the teachings of Earth. Having lived only a few brief days on Krypton, Clark holds the knowledge of where he came from and great knowledge of his culture, but he is far more a man of Earth than a citizen of Krypton. Clark's Kryptonian heritage has influenced his character and shapes aspects of his subconscious, but it does not define him.
Will the Real Man of Steel Please Stand Up?
Clark came to Metropolis for two reasons. First, he knew his powers could be used to help people on a much larger stage. The big city was the perfect place for his new persona, Superman. Secondly, Clark wanted to be a reporter and the Daily Planet was his dream job. To say that Clark came to Metropolis just to become a superhero would be a mistake. He could have chosen any big city to be Superman, but it was Metropolis that held the most potential for Clark's personal life.

It's Clark's personal life that continues to influence many of his decisions and affects aspects of the Superman persona. But does that mean Clark is the true personality and that Superman is the act? Not exactly.
Superman is Clark Kent without the need to hide his origin or his powers. But Superman's heroic posturing is as much a performance as Batman's gravelly voice. If anyone really acted like Superman in a natural setting -- say ordering fries at McDonald's -- he'd come off like a real ass. However, in a heroic setting, it's the perfect affectation.
pixy.gif
superman-20060619044949565.jpg
pixy.gif

Superman's dilemmas are most often physical, but even questions of morality are only prescribed to "work situations." Superman doesn't have problems with his wife, Clark does. Superman's troubles with his friends are all job related. He exists only as the crime fighter. This is a bit of a paradox since Clark always has his powers active, meaning that he is a moment's notice from becoming Superman. To put it simply, Superman does not have a social existence. In friendly settings, even his (former) JLA teammates call him Clark.
Clark Kent is one of the most powerful beings on Earth, but you would never know it just by looking at him. He represses a very significant part of himself (his Kryptonian heritage), just as the Superman persona must repress some aspects of Clark Kent. Whether dressed as Clark or Superman, he is always has the powers granted by living under a yellow sun. That said, when dressed as Clark Kent, the Last Son is not Superman and vice versa.
Therein lies the great conflict for DC's flagship hero. He cannot fully and comfortably be Clark Kent (so long as he has powers), because he must guard against suspicion and remain on alert in case Metropolis needs its hero. He is always on call. And Kent, as much as he has loosened up and lessened his clumsiness, still puts on an act in public. But he is not fully Superman either. Superman is also a public persona, a superficial version of Clark's morality. He does not exist in Clark's personal life (he must even be watered down in front of wife Lois Lane), but he is never completely gone.
One Man is an Island
So who is the real Man of Steel? He is neither fully Clark Kent nor fully Superman. The real person is caught somewhere between, unable to embrace either life without some level of conscious restriction.

That was the initial idea behind the Fortress of Solitude. It's a place where Superman can "be himself." If being yourself requires you to live alone in the arctic away from civilization, it hardly seems like an honest life.
superman-20060619044949330.jpg

Clark Kent is an alien living in a world of humans. He exists in a society where he can never truly belong. He could merge the two identities, become a different hero able to live in the world as a single, uninhibited personality. But doing so might compromise his effectiveness. That is Superman's sacrifice, to eschew the desire for wholesale acceptance in order to protect the world he loves. And that is what makes Superman a great character.

What was that quote that gets spoken quite a bit? "Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I can do"

Something like that :confused:

Nice article, btw.

on the tv show Smallville, isn't it ****'d up that Lois Lane already knows Clark Kent before he even moved to Metropolis, or became a reporter?? plus, he isn't even wearing his glasses, nor acting like a clutz yet. and there's no indication that he's interested in pursuing a career in news journalism.

Smallville kinda ****'d things up.

I see Clark Kent (the version seen by people in Metropolis) as the act and Superman as the real person.

Leave the Smallville bashing out of here.

Thanks for the article. I now understand Supes' identity conflict waaay better than I did before.

...which is more than what could be said for the movie but oh well. (Yes, it was one of the only flaws for me besides various small plotholes, but it's a HUGE chip on my shoulder.)

Superman Returns didn't even hint at the whole loneliness, identity crisis aspect of the character. So much for development!!!

I think they spent a bit much time on Lex. But, I hear there are deleted scenes...

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I think they spent a bit much time on Lex. But, I hear there are deleted scenes...
deleted scenes don't make the movie, the make the dvd

This isnt intended as Smallville bashing....but

This is the reason why Superman as the disguise and Clark Kent as the real person doesnt work:

supermanfuture018ve.jpg

A very insightful article there, CBB. Very interesting. :up:

venom420 said:
Superman Returns didn't even hint at the whole loneliness, identity crisis aspect of the character. So much for development!!!

So much for constructive posting!!!

Kane said:
This isnt intended as Smallville bashing....but

This is the reason why Superman as the disguise and Clark Kent as the real person doesnt work:

supermanfuture018ve.jpg

Pmsl

Look no further than the interview scene in STM. When Clark "arrives" at the door and Lois goes to get dressed, Clark straightens up his posture, takes off his glasses, and stares at Lois as she has her back turned. "Lois, there's something I have to tell you..." Then he thinks better of it and goes back into Clark-mode.

Superman is Clark minus all the stuttering and clumsiness.

I dunno, I thought him hovering around Lois' backyard, hovering in the stratosphere hinted at his loneliness.

Nice article.

But I still stand by the notion that Clark Kent is the real person...and that Superman's just Clark in a funny outfit.

I think TAS interpretation exemplifies my perspective the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"