superpower downsides

bananaramma

Civilian
Reaction score
Im making a webseries about a superhero therapist who treats heros dealing with some pretty ****** side effects to their powers, I already have a flash,superman and captain america/punisher mix,does anyone have some good side effects in mind for well known super powers that cold ruin someones life?

I imagine Bruce Wayne doesn't get too much sleep.
Daredevil must hate loud, annoying noises.
Spider-Man had that whole Man-Spider thing going on.

Billy Batson must have some problems with his bility to become n adult, with adult desires nd body.
Going thru it slowly is hrd enough, I cn't imagine wht it must be like to go through puberty in n instant.....nd then go back.

Cyclops must hate having to wear glasses all the time.

Doctor Doom has a lot of mental disorders.

Wolverine or anyone with decelerated aging must have a horrible emotional state. All your friends die. Your significant other dies. You have to move constantly to avoid suspicion in order to live a "normal" life.

Unlike Vandal Savage who just enjoys f***ing everyone's s*** up. And the sad thing is he can't die.

:o

Just the shear burden of people needing/wanting you to do things with your powers.

Billy Batson must have some problems with his bility to become n adult, with adult desires nd body.
Going thru it slowly is hrd enough, I cn't imagine wht it must be like to go through puberty in n instant.....nd then go back.
I've always wondered how that would work when he actually becomes an adult.

Superhero psychiatrist Doc Samson touched on this in the comics.

For Quicksilver the entire world is in slow motion for him which is why he is so abrasive and easily frustrated.

tumblr_m1r8dgcl_II1qlwb72o1_500.jpg

For Daredevil's super senses look up X-Force/X-Statix character The Ophan/Mister Sensitive who has similar powers. His superhuman enhanced senses meant he was in constant pain (for even a fine mist felt like needles stabbing his skin) until Charles Xavier developed a special suit and ointment to dull his senses and allow him to live a normal life.

Curious on the Punisher one since he's not a superpowered person, although an Assault Weapons Ban probably makes it more difficult for him to get guns. :rolleyes:

If you have super strength it could get annoying having people asking your help to move furniture.

Super strength must be the worst. Think of how much you would have to constantly restrain yourself.

Invulnerability must be even worse. If taking a dive in magma doesn't phase you, how do you ever feel the slightest touch of a person?

Superhero psychiatrist Doc Samson touched on this in the comics.

For Quicksilver the entire world is in slow motion for him which is why he is so abrasive and easily frustrated.

tumblr_m1r8dgcl_II1qlwb72o1_500.jpg

This is me.

Whenever I'm anywhere and being waited on, or on line, driving, I feel all the time I'm behind someone who has slowed down my life to a crawl.

Invulnerability must be even worse. If taking a dive in magma doesn't phase you, how do you ever feel the slightest touch of a person?

Sensational Spider-Man #31 dealt with that. The Rhino was tearing up New York because his protective skin kept him from feeling anything. The police were trying to subdue him and one of them fired a rocket at him, which he actually liked because he felt it...if just barely.

That's why I think metahumans have to date each other. Superman must be sexually frustrated to the core. Not only does he have to hold back so he doesn't crush Lois, but he would also literally not feel a thing. He needs someone he can create earthquakes with.

I've always wondered if teleporting the way Nightcrawler does would be difficult to deal with.

Because the way it works for him is he either has to see where it is he's bamfing to or he can bamf to a place he's recognized or been to before just by thinking of it, I believe. So, what would happen if you could do that and you were in the shower and a random thought a place you'll familiar (say a grocery store) popped into your head?

Or you're having a conversation with someone and you begin talking about a place you've gone to, and it pops into your head and you just end up there instead of where you were before.

Actually they mentioned some of these in various 'realistic' SPB books over the years like Powers, Rising Stars and others.

Super Strength - Depending on how much you have you could be destroying everything unless you gave it but the merest touch unless you have amazing muscular control. Even if you did, a muscle spasm could kill a person if you shook their hand.

Super Senses - Anything you do could be incredibly painful depending on how sensitive they are. If all your senses are amplified so you could hear someone yelling for help a mile away then living in any city would be a constant nightmare as you'd constantly hear people breathing fifty feet away, you'd feel the sun beating down on your skin like a fire and your clothing would be scraping on your skin. You'd smell the body odours of everyone all around you no matter how clean they were and if you could see that well then you'd be able to see how gross we look at a microscopic level with the bacteria and dead skin flakes and oils coming out from us all the time.

Immortality/extended life - Everyone you know would eventually die. People you love and watched grow from children would age in front of your eyes and die off. Eventually you'd be so used to your own life that people would seem to just grow old in a few years instead of decades due to your own existence dwarfing theirs and you'd eventually lose all touch you humanity unless you made a constant focus to try and integrate yourself in peoples lives on a day by day basis. Eventually should you live long enough, you may be left behind by Humanity as they evolve beyond you or they wipe themselves out with war or disease leaving you alone forever.

Rapid Healing - Continuing from the extended life, you would heal but it would still hurt and you would still bear the psychic scars from things like that. It's one of the reason Wolverine acts like he does (or so it's been guessed at) he has PTSD from the constant pain and torture he puts his body through. He is always twitching for a fight, in a near constant state of alert and anger and looking for enemies around every corner.

Psychic Powers (all types) - Telepathy - Constantly being able to hear peoples thoughts could make you crazy after a while even if you had a constant control over it due to your control slipping and hearing voices murmuring in your sleep. Could be worse if you 'heard' them more when people were angry and you lived anywhere near angry people as you'd constantly hear them screaming in your mind.
Precognition - Seeing the future constantly could drive you insane if you had no control over it. Depending on how it manifested, in your dreams or waking hours it could be even worse. If you saw visions when you were awake you might zone out until they finished. If you had no warning of when they happened then you would never be able to drive a car since you may wind up killing people if you zoned out at the wrong time. If you saw them during your dreaming then you may just drive yourself crazy thinking that you see the future when it's just a dream or think it's just a dream when it's supposed to be a warning from the future.
Telekinesis - Without fine control you may just lose control one day and destroy everything you own because you stubbed your toe or should you be powerful enough then you could destroy and entire building, killing dozens. Even if you did have control but not much practice then you might kill someone by imagining them being strangled and accidentally doing it.

Flight - Not too much bad about that as long as you could control it and knew your limits with height/oxygen limits. If you couldn't control it though, you might just shoot off into space and die unless you were attached to the ground by weights or something.

Super Genius - You're literally smarter than everyone else on the planet and everyone wants you to fix something, world hunger, world peace, diseases, pollution, ect. You may be smarter than everyone but you may not have the knowledge to put things into effect, you may have a reasonable idea of how to fix things but without knowledge of the politics of a certain area or the background in a certain science all your work could be for nothing so you would need to know everything about everything to even start and everyone would still be badgering you for everything else. Even if you could get everything together in a neat and simple package for the entire world to work together on you're still forgetting one thing, PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS! No matter how easy and simple it is, people will still screw it up due to greed, stupidity or just generally being useless.

Only after posting that do I realize when that was first made. :doh:

Spider-Man if he couldn't control his stickiness. Lingering handshakes and high fives, causing a huge line on the diving board cause he can't jump off, etc.

Green Lantern ring - you have to get up and manually grab the mustard bottle, instead of using a construct. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"