Switching to DC

C

CinnamonBriar

I've given up on marvel (for now anyways) and I want to get back into Birds of Prey. I've always been a fan of Babs esp. as Oracle. Can anyone offer up some information (or websites) to catch me up on the what has been going on in that title? What the heck is this b.s. about Dick proposing and not following through?

I have. I can't find much except info on the tv series and spoilers for the next issue.

I'd recommend picking up these tpbs:

Of Like Minds
Sensei & Student
Between Dark & Dawn

They collect the start of Simones run up until #75. The rest is probably also going to be collected eventually.
If you want to jump right in I'd say start with the OneYearLater issue (#92). I haven't read it, but I suspect that it fills new readers in on what you need to know.

There might be some mysteries when you start but that's probably because of OYL and the things that happened during the lost year. But with those you're in the same boat as everyone else reading the title. It's going to be revealed in the book eventually.

CinnamonBriar said:
I've given up on marvel (for now anyways) and I want to get back into Birds of Prey. I've always been a fan of Babs esp. as Oracle. Can anyone offer up some information (or websites) to catch me up on the what has been going on in that title? What the heck is this b.s. about Dick proposing and not following through?

I haven't been reading the book, but I've understood what's been going on with the team currently. Basically it now consists of Oracle, Lady Blackhawk, Huntress, Gypsy, and Lady Shiva. Black Canary quit the team for now and is no longer a field operative, she's off training in what looks to be a jungle like area. Shiva has taken her place for the time being, but calls herself Jade Canary. As for the whole Nightwing and Barbara not together post OYL, no one knows what happened. All that's been shown was that Dick woke up in New York City next to a woman (who looked like Barbara), named Cheyenne Freemont who he had slept with the night before. How the seperation came to be may be explained in the weekly title that begins in two weeks, 52.

Black Canary hasn't quit the team. She and Shiva agreed to try and experience each other's lives. That's why Shiva is working on being a conventional (i.e. non-lethal) hero with the Birds while Dinah's off training in the remote village Shiva grew up in.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Black Canary hasn't quit the team. She and Shiva agreed to try and experience each other's lives. That's why Shiva is working on being a conventional (i.e. non-lethal) hero with the Birds while Dinah's off training in the remote village Shiva grew up in.

You're right, thanks for that. Like I said, I haven't been reading the book since before OYL started. So when I saw he training, I assumed she did and would return afterwards.

Batman said:
I haven't been reading the book, but I've understood what's been going on with the team currently. Basically it now consists of Oracle, Lady Blackhawk, Huntress, Gypsy, and Lady Shiva. Black Canary quit the team for now and is no longer a field operative, she's off training in what looks to be a jungle like area. Shiva has taken her place for the time being, but calls herself Jade Canary. As for the whole Nightwing and Barbara not together post OYL, no one knows what happened. All that's been shown was that Dick woke up in New York City next to a woman (who looked like Barbara), named Cheyenne Freemont who he had slept with the night before. How the seperation came to be may be explained in the weekly title that begins in two weeks, 52.

Whoa whoa, back up. Gypsy joined the Birds? When did this happen? :confused: I haven't seen her since she was in the JLA team of Martian Manhunter!

I don't see the logic in "giving up Marvel and switching to DC"

In your movie-watching experience, have you ever decided to "give up Warner Brothers films and switch to Paramount"? The logo on the outside of a comic has no importance when compared to the actual contents. If you're upset with Marvel, it's probably cause you're not digging the 'mainstream' books like Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers, when the best stuff Marvel is doing is in their fringe titles like Marvel Team-Up, Young Avengers, She-Hulk, Thing, Runaways, etc

In any case, my two best DC books (superhero DC books, DC does lots of great (better) stuff that isn't superheroes) are Green Arrow and Teen Titans. Both their One Year Later books are great jumping on points, but I HIGHLY recommend getting trades or back issues and catching up with all that's gone on in both of those titles since their #1s.

Also, if you haven't actively been reading DC in the past few years, make sure to read Identity Crisis, Green Lantern: Rebirth, and Infinite Crisis

TheFalcon said:
I'd recommend picking up these tpbs:

Of Like Minds
Sensei & Student
Between Dark & Dawn

They collect the start of Simones run up until #75. The rest is probably also going to be collected eventually.
If you want to jump right in I'd say start with the OneYearLater issue (#92). I haven't read it, but I suspect that it fills new readers in on what you need to know.

There might be some mysteries when you start but that's probably because of OYL and the things that happened during the lost year. But with those you're in the same boat as everyone else reading the title. It's going to be revealed in the book eventually.

Yes, do that :up:

Anything else you're interested in, just come back here and ask.

if you're switching sides with next to no non-cosmetic knowledge of dc and it's characters, would it be advisable to buy something like, say, identity crisis?

Probably not, given that most people new to DC don't really know who Elongated Man or his wife are. That'd take away a lot of the pathos.

Kids - Identity Crisis would be an essential read, I think you can pick up on who the minor characters are. I didn't know who they were really and I got it fine

I'd also recommend DC: the New Frontier, by Darwyn Cooke, about the early days of the DC charaters, truly an awesome book

Keep in mind, The New Frontier is an Elseworld, meaning they're not quite the mainstream DC characters. TNF is closer than most Elseworlds, though.
kidslaureate said:
wat if u'd like, wikipediaed it a lot of the characters?
Well yeah, if you research the characters beforehand you'd understand the impact of the whole thing better.

Birds of prey?

lol "insert gail simone joke here"

no j/p, the early stuff is good, OYL sucks IMO

Hawkeye said:
Whoa whoa, back up. Gypsy joined the Birds? When did this happen? :confused: I haven't seen her since she was in the JLA team of Martian Manhunter!

In issue #93.

CinnamonBriar said:

Birds f Prey is great, really really great!It's my favorite book.(Well during G.Johns ' run on the Flash my fav book was the flash, and BoPrey).
I'm really happy they didn't "cut" the story due to the crisis.Gail Simone is amazing!
I can't tell U how much I love this book.
:up: :up:

Batman said:
In issue #93.
And she appeared before with Katana in the arc "sensei & student" during the last battle.

TheCorpulent1 said:
while Dinah's off training in the remote village Shiva grew up in.
Which puzzles me, by the way. Lady Shiva is really some chick name Sandra who grew up in Detroit. It's part of her origin, and even Dinah asked about it in the last issue.

Obviously theres a lot more to that crazy kung fu fighting broad then we already know.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Well yeah, if you research the characters beforehand you'd understand the impact of the whole thing better.
yes, but exercise caution, as your research, particularly looking at wikipedia, will completely spoil Identity Crisis for you

All you really gotta know is Ralph Dibney, the Elongated Man, is married to Sue Dibney, and they're the classic DC couple. Ray Palmer, the Atom, is divorced from his wife Jean Loring, Tim Drake, Robin has a father named Jack Drake. The original Green Lantern and Flash, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, each died some years ago and their mantles passed to Wally West and Kyle Rayner. When Hal Jordan died, he became this extremely powerful ghost called The Spectre. And there's this one D-List supervillain named Dr. Light who used to plague the Teen Titans.

That's it. That's all the set up you need for Identity Crisis.

Elijya said:
I don't see the logic in "giving up Marvel and switching to DC"

In your movie-watching experience, have you ever decided to "give up Warner Brothers films and switch to Paramount"? The logo on the outside of a comic has no importance when compared to the actual contents. If you're upset with Marvel, it's probably cause you're not digging the 'mainstream' books like Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers, when the best stuff Marvel is doing is in their fringe titles like Marvel Team-Up, Young Avengers, She-Hulk, Thing, Runaways, etc

I find it sad that most of the books you have mentioned are on the verge of cancellation. I wanted to pick up Young Avengers and the day I decided that I was going to when the next arc started, I heard the news that it was getting canceled :(. The Thing is on the verge of cancelation and I wouldn't be surprised if She-Hulk and Marvel Team-Up got the boot also.

Most people are pissed off at Marvel because their biggest product lines: the X-books, Ultimate Marvel, the Spider-Man books, and New Avengers are completely sucking at the moment. Also lateness plagues Marvel for almost no reason (unlike DC's books and DC is trying to fix those problems, unlike Marvel) Oh well, I'll be jumping ship to Marvel soon along with my DC stuff by buying Captain America, Astonishing X-Men, and Daredevil. I just read the books then put them back on the shelf, I think I'll start buying some Marvel very soon, anyone have any other recommendations besides Daredevil, Captain America, and Astonishing X-Men.

Young Avengers isn't getting canceled. But the creators are gonna take a year off. Mainly because Heinburgs gonna be writing Wonder Woman.

Anubis said:
Young Avengers isn't getting canceled. But the creators are gonna take a year off. Mainly because Heinburgs gonna be writing Wonder Woman.

It's getting canceled and then relaunched with a volume 2, just like Wonder Woman, the Flash, and JLA were. That still counts as canceled.

its like ultimates, they're working in volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"