Sword Art Online

Nathan

Avenger
Reaction score

Synopsis
In the near future, a Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online has been released where players control their avatars with their bodies using a piece of technology called Nerve Gear. One day, players discover they cannot log out, as the game creator is holding them captive unless they reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if they die in the game, they die in real life. Their struggle for survival starts now...

(Source: Crunchyroll)

Trailer 1
[YT]szoyfP_Wfx8[/YT]

Trailer 2
[YT]Wv8u5bY8Now[/YT]​

The Anime is based on a Light Novel Series that I never had the opportunity to read, I only stumbled over the Anime not too long ago. I enjoy it immensely. It's fun to see people interact in an MMO environment, with all the quirks that come with an MMO setting. And despite the health bars floating above people's heads, the threat is real. Once your HP drops down to Zero, not only do you die in the game, but in the real world as well.

I've heard a lot about this anime, never actually watched it but one of my friends is addicted to this anime, right now i think it's his favourite, is the story that good?

Oh my god... The Anime Forum IS alive! :awesome:

Well, I wouldn't call the story outstanding, but it's solid enough. It's based on a light novel series, and the Novel made quite a few time jumps. So only after a couple episodes you already have the hero at lvl70, without focusing too much on what he did to get there. But it's interesting to watch just how people cope with the fact that they are trapped in a Death Game, adjust their lives and form Guilds, with the Goal to reach the top of the tower and free everyone from this game. And since every death in the game is permanent, you have quite a few emotionally heavy moments.

Not as alive as i would hope it to be :p
I see, but is the story in least very well written?
Because i see it's gaining a lot of popularity.

It's one of those anime that's easy to get into and is fantastical and chuunibyou enough to make up for its shortcomings in some of the storytelling techniques it uses. It's not the most well written story but it's very entertaining with good production values and an imaginative setting and plot, which is why it's so popular. If you're planning on watching it now would be a good time to jump on and catch up because we just started a new arc last episode.

Had to go to work before I could answer, but I agree with Dent's assessment. And as he said, as of Episode 16, the series started with its new Arc. So catch up.

But isn't this just a rehash of .HACK series, made a little edgier and nicely animated?

I dunno. I completed the first arc and while the animation is truly top notch the main character annoyed me. And now that he has an "actually cousin but raised like a sister" type sister character I more or less put the series down.

But hey, its just my personal dislike of a trope far too often used in recent anime these days.

So, have some given this a chance? We are up to Episode 20 and Kirito kicks so much freaking ass.

This seems really interesting. I'll give it a try once I'm done with Cowboy Bebop.

I just saw the first episode and even tho it had Anime Emo Kid 101 as a main character, it was really really good!
Do we get to follow the red haired one and his party as well? I think that would be a lot more interesting than to follow the know-it-all-über-kid.

Sadly not. The main character occasionally meets the red head and his party and they team up for raids, but we mainly follow Kirito. This is one of those times where I'd actually prefer the anime to make up some filler episodes. Because the Anime is based on a short Manga Novel series and everything progresses really fast.

Last edited:
Too bad, I thought I'd found a new anime to follow... seems like it's better to drop it now rather than later then.

Episode 24, there's some really twisted and ****ed up stuff happening at the end. That's one villain you can truly hate.

Saw the first 3 episodes, it's okay, don't like the main character and the plot's nothing special, not a big fan of all these big jumps in time between episodes either. The animation however is very good, as are the fight scenes, it has potencial but if it doesn't get much better i'm probably gonna drop it.

Really enjoyed the series. Though I think season 1 was better than season 2. They took a strong female lead character and made her into a damsel in distress. NOT COOL.

Really enjoyed the series. Though I think season 1 was better than season 2. They took a strong female lead character and made her into a damsel in distress. NOT COOL.

Exactly how I felt. Kind of a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"