SyFy developing Frank Miller's Ronin

TheOneWhoKnocks

Civilian
Reaction score
Syfy Adapting Frank Miller's DC Comics Series 'Ronin'

Syfy is joining the comic book craze.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network is developing Frank Miller's DC Comic series Ronin and Oni Press' political space drama Letter 44, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

FollowingDarren Aronofsky's attempt to remake the samurai drama for the big screen, Syfy will produce DC's six-issue comic series Ronin as a potential miniseries. From Warner Horizon Television and DC Entertainment, Ronin was written and drawn by Miller (Sin City, 300). The comics, which were published every six weeks between 1983-84, centers on a legendary warrior -- the Ronin, a dishonored, masterless 13th century samurai -- who is mystically given a second chance to avenge his master's death. He finds himself suddenly reborn in a futuristic and corrupt 21st century New York where he must defeat ancient demon Agat, the reincarnation of his master's killer.

Syfy's takes place eight centuries after a Japanese Ronin samurai failed to protect his master from a demon. He awakens in a futuristic, nihilistic New York in the body of Billy, a medical experiment. Now Billy/Ronin is chasing the demon, which has reawakened. Both parties want control of a sword with magical properties and will stop at nothing to get it back.

A search is under way for a writer and the exact number of episodes in the Syfy miniseries has not yet been determined.

Meanwhile, the Ronin film adaptation has been lingering in development at New Line since 1998. Joby Harold and Chad St. John most recently signed on to pen the script with Gianni Nunnari on board to produce.

For Miller, this would mark the prolific and award-winning comics scribe's first title to be adapted for TV. His works have been turned into several feature films, including Sin City and its sequel, Daredeviland 300.

Ronin marks the latest DC Comics title to be adapted for TV. WGN America is developing Scalped; The Flash, iZombie and Hourman are in the works at The CW, NBC is prepping Constantine, AMC is readying Preacher; and Fox's Batman prequel Gotham -- which tells the story of Commissioner Jim Gordon -- is considered a lock for a series order, while that network is also developing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...frank-millers-dc-698759?mobile_redirect=false

Could be cool.

Just as long as it doesn't turn out like the last big budget project that had "ronin" in the title. :D

The last tv series based on ronin was samurai jack. although the comic is way more darker than the cartoon network show.

Last edited:
Such mixed feelings. Sy-fy better not ruin this up!

This is amazing news except for the part that its being developed on Syfy. :( Hopefully they're taking this seriously and are ready to take the network up to another level. Please dont F this up.

These bastards still owe me an Eyes of the Dragon miniseries.

I've been wanting to pick up the trade. How is it? And does Miller portray the women like he does in Sin City? I've borrowed all seven volumes from the library and let's just say I can live without how they're depicted so far (almost done with Vol. 2)... :o

No its different is all i can say, very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"